How to format DVD? - OS2

This is a discussion on How to format DVD? - OS2 ; Hi Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote: > How do I format a DVD in eCS 2.2 beta 4? The FORMAT command with /fs:udf > gives me the messages "Format failed." and "Internal error". I also tried > RSJ, but couldn't ...

  1. Re: How to format DVD?

    Hi

    Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
    > How do I format a DVD in eCS 2.2 beta 4? The FORMAT command with /fs:udf
    > gives me the messages "Format failed." and "Internal error". I also tried
    > RSJ, but couldn't figure out how to use it.
    >
    > Specifically, I opened CD Write Control, attached the drive and went to
    > the Recorder tab. I tried to use MB2 (RMB) to bring up a context menu, but
    > it was ignored. I thought that perhaps the term "CD recorder" in the
    > documentation referred to CD View -> CD Recorder, but the context menu
    > dopesn't include a commands option.

    To format from the cmd line:

    Format ?: /fs:udf /l /f

    where ? is replaced by the drive letter.

    An alternative is to RMB on the burner icon (with a ReWriteable/RAM disc
    already inserted) and select Format.

    If that fails you need to check your configuration.

    Does RSJ grab the burner for exclusive use at boot? The daniatapi.doc
    has several possible cures for that.

    Are you trying to use RSJ to format the disc? - never tried that myself
    so cannot comment on how it works but if it should work and does not
    then you are back to a configuration issue.

    Might be worth checking that you have the current "dani drivers"
    installed and also the bldlevel of os2dasd.dmd and s2cdrom.dmd - some
    builds are, er.., not very good and eCS have been known to install those
    builds in previous betas.

    Hope the above gives a starting point in solving the problem.

    Regards

    Pete

  2. Re: How to format DVD?

    Hi

    Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
    > In, on 11/05/2008
    > at 03:15 PM, Peter Brown said:
    >
    >> Format ?: /fs:udf /l /f

    > [H:\Utility]Format s: /fs:udf /l /f
    > WARNING: Formatting will erase ALL data on this disk.
    > Continue (Yes or No)? Y
    > Format failed.
    > Internal error
    >
    >> An alternative is to RMB on the burner icon

    > What burner icon?

    Whatever Drive icon represents the burner.

    Having realised that I have not tried UDF formatting anything since
    installing eCS2.0RC5 I thought I would give it a go.

    Using the above command line I got the same error...

    Then I dimly remembered a post that said something along the lines of:
    "... if the disc is a DVD+RW and has previously been formatted you only
    need the command line below.

    Format s: /fs:udf"

    I must have dimly remembered correctly because after Ejecting and
    re-inserting the "failed format" DVD+RW disc I used the above command
    successfully. It seems to be necessary to Eject a disc when there has
    been a write failure of any kind before trying to use the disc again.

    I then repeated the above "Format s: /fs:udf" with 2 other DVD+RW discs
    that needed reformating with no problems.

    No problem reformating a DVD-RAM disc using that command either.

    Sorry, no DVD-RW discs to test with.

    >> Does RSJ grab the burner for exclusive use at boot?

    > No; it has a facility for attaching the drive to a different drive letter.

    Do you still have a useable Drive icon for the burner or do you need to
    use RSJ to attach the drive?

    >> Are you trying to use RSJ to format the disc?

    > Yes. My next attempt will be to use CDRECORD.

    I think you need to try from the command line rather than any apps.

    If it does not work from the command line you are looking at a driver
    and/or configuration issue - with no app configuration to take into account.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. How to format DVD?

    How do I format a DVD in eCS 2.2 beta 4? The FORMAT command with /fs:udf
    gives me the messages "Format failed." and "Internal error". I also tried
    RSJ, but couldn't figure out how to use it.

    Specifically, I opened CD Write Control, attached the drive and went to
    the Recorder tab. I tried to use MB2 (RMB) to bring up a context menu, but
    it was ignored. I thought that perhaps the term "CD recorder" in the
    documentation referred to CD View -> CD Recorder, but the context menu
    dopesn't include a commands option.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  4. Re: How to format DVD?

    In , on 11/05/2008
    at 03:15 PM, Peter Brown said:

    >Format ?: /fs:udf /l /f

    [H:\Utility]Format s: /fs:udf /l /f
    WARNING: Formatting will erase ALL data on this disk.
    Continue (Yes or No)? Y
    Format failed.
    Internal error

    >An alternative is to RMB on the burner icon

    What burner icon?

    >Does RSJ grab the burner for exclusive use at boot?

    No; it has a facility for attaching the drive to a different drive letter.

    >Are you trying to use RSJ to format the disc?

    Yes. My next attempt will be to use CDRECORD.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  5. Re: How to format DVD?

    In , on 11/05/2008
    at 07:45 PM, Peter Brown said:

    >Whatever Drive icon represents the burner.

    If you're talking about the icon in the Drives folder, the menu that MB2
    brings up does not include a format option.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

+ Reply to Thread