New Programmers - OS2

This is a discussion on New Programmers - OS2 ; There has been a flurry of emails on the Yahoo! eCS list from people wanting to start programming, most of whom have tried before and run into problems. We have been pointed to available resources: EDM/2 website, for info; comp.os.os2.programmer.misc, ...

  1. New Programmers

    There has been a flurry of emails on the Yahoo! eCS list from people wanting to start programming,
    most of whom have tried before and run into problems.

    We have been pointed to available resources:
    EDM/2 website, for info;
    comp.os.os2.programmer.misc, as a place to gather and exchange information;
    the GCC compiler, available at http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/index.php?page=gcc;
    and Nathan Woodruff has offered to answer our questions.

    Why not add to this thread? We can get to know each other and see where we want to go.
    The first action I will take is to clear a partition for installing the compiler.
    Post your questions here.

    --
    Gordon Snider
    Toronto, Canada

  2. Re: New Programmers

    Hi Gordon

    Gordon Snider wrote:
    > There has been a flurry of emails on the Yahoo! eCS list from people wanting to start programming,
    > most of whom have tried before and run into problems.
    >
    > We have been pointed to available resources:
    > EDM/2 website, for info;
    > comp.os.os2.programmer.misc, as a place to gather and exchange information;
    > the GCC compiler, available at http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/index.php?page=gcc;
    > and Nathan Woodruff has offered to answer our questions.
    >
    > Why not add to this thread? We can get to know each other and see where we want to go.
    > The first action I will take is to clear a partition for installing the compiler.
    > Post your questions here.

    And it does not have to be in c/c++

    My personal choice - bearing in mind that I do not port from *nix or
    develop drivers - is a nice little RAD tool that is very similar to
    Delphi (Object Pascal) for Windows: WDSibyl
    http://wdsibyl.teamos2hamburg.de/index.php?&newlang=eng

    Why do I like WDSibyl?

    Well, long ago used to use c and pascal on *nix and DOS systems - I
    actually passed a City & Guilds "c" Programming course in 1993 - but
    have not really got an idea where to start with PM apps in c.

    I'm also getting a bit lazy in my old age...

    That is where WDSibyl comes in: It is a complete development environment
    where I can visually build the interface and hook up the "doing" code.

    Please note that this post not meant to start some sort of "This
    development package is better than that" war.

    It is simply stating why I decided to go with this particular package
    for most of my little projects - of which USBcfg is probably my best
    public example http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: New Programmers

    In , on 11/05/2008
    at 02:54 PM, "Gordon Snider" said:

    >There has been a flurry of emails on the Yahoo! eCS list from people
    >wanting to start programming,

    My recommendation is to just start. There's lots of good OS/2 source code
    out there and plenty of OS/2 projects that could use a new developer or
    two.

    FWIW, two of the fm/2 developers started just this way. One had some
    programming experience, the other had none.

    I've watched the various OS/2 related "learn to program" yahoo groups
    peter out. There's no substitute for writing code that others will use.
    It's just more interesting.

    > most of whom have tried before and run into problems.

    This is not unexpected. I recommend they ask questions sooner rather than
    later.

    Large applications often require sophisticated build environments. The
    choice is do the learning curve yourself or ask a few questions and get
    going faster.

    For GCC and GNU application questions, the libc-user mailing list would be
    my choice.

    For general OS/2 programming questions, this is the place.

    For drivers, there is the os2ddprog mailing list.

    It's not that hard to choose the best place to ask a particular question,
    although there will always be a few that find this a challenge. I don't
    recommend asking how to install VAC on the os2ddprog list. :-)

    Also, it's almost a sure bet that almost any question you want to ask has
    been asked before. Before asking questions, I recommend some quality time
    with a google groups search of the comp.os.os2.programmer.* newsgroups or
    a google search of the libc-user list on gmane. If nothing else, the
    results will help you better frame your question.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00.11.18 BETA #10183

  4. Re: New Programmers

    Steven Levine wrote:
    > programming experience, the other had none.
    >
    > I've watched the various OS/2 related "learn to program" yahoo groups
    > peter out. There's no substitute for writing code that others will use.
    > It's just more interesting.

    I *do* wish there was better documentation on the PM (and WPS) API.
    There are holes in the documentation, leading to lots of "gotcha's.

    I've got Petzold, _Real World Programming with OS/2_, and another good
    book I can't remember just now, and I'm always running into problems. I
    just don't do enough PM stuff to have gotten good at it.

  5. Re: New Programmers

    Tu, Peter Flass hai scritto questo in data
    Fri, 7 Nov 2008 12:01:32 UTC:

    > Steven Levine wrote:
    > > programming experience, the other had none.
    > >
    > > I've watched the various OS/2 related "learn to program" yahoo groups
    > > peter out. There's no substitute for writing code that others will use.
    > > It's just more interesting.

    > I *do* wish there was better documentation on the PM (and WPS) API.
    > There are holes in the documentation, leading to lots of "gotcha's.
    >
    > I've got Petzold, _Real World Programming with OS/2_, and another good
    > book I can't remember just now, and I'm always running into problems. I
    > just don't do enough PM stuff to have gotten good at it.

    Well IIRC Petzold is a rather old book. Here at home I have it,
    together with Stefano Maruzzi's "OS/2 2.1 Guida del Programmatore"
    (the only one I ever got in Italian!), and many English books from
    Wiley & Sons. I also found that eBay often shows programming books for
    OS/2, and I think they can be a valuable source of informations.

    Also the old newsgroups archives are really useful, and I'm in the
    process of searching and reordering my comp.os.os2.* archives to sort
    out some useful documentation which spans from REXX to multimedia, and
    from C/C++ to Java. Really a great bunch of material to study.

    --
    Mentore Siesto
    eComStation Developer Team

  6. Re: New Programmers

    In , on 11/07/2008
    at 07:01 AM, Peter Flass said:

    Hi,

    >I *do* wish there was better documentation on the PM (and WPS) API.
    >There are holes in the documentation, leading to lots of "gotcha's.

    There's tons of documentation, books and source code. There's this thing
    called the learning curve. That's why asking focused questions is a good
    thing.

    >I've got Petzold, _Real World Programming with OS/2_, and another good
    >book I can't remember just now, and I'm always running into problems.

    I never cared much for the Petzold book. My choices are "The Art of OS/2
    Warp Programming" by Panov and the "OS/2 Presentation Manager API" by
    Winn.

    The samples that come with VAC are quite good, but one must understand
    they are just samples. They are intended to provide a working example of
    each API and not intended to be examples of best practices.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00.11.18 BETA #10183

  7. Re: New Programmers

    Panov is one of the other books I have. I actually like Petzold a lot,
    maybe because thats the book I started with, but I think his examples
    are good.

    Steven Levine wrote:
    > In , on 11/07/2008
    > at 07:01 AM, Peter Flass said:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    >> I *do* wish there was better documentation on the PM (and WPS) API.
    >> There are holes in the documentation, leading to lots of "gotcha's.

    > There's tons of documentation, books and source code. There's this thing
    > called the learning curve. That's why asking focused questions is a good
    > thing.
    >
    >> I've got Petzold, _Real World Programming with OS/2_, and another good
    >> book I can't remember just now, and I'm always running into problems.

    > I never cared much for the Petzold book. My choices are "The Art of OS/2
    > Warp Programming" by Panov and the "OS/2 Presentation Manager API" by
    > Winn.
    >
    > The samples that come with VAC are quite good, but one must understand
    > they are just samples. They are intended to provide a working example of
    > each API and not intended to be examples of best practices.
    >
    > Steven

+ Reply to Thread