Minor problem at startup - OS2

This is a discussion on Minor problem at startup - OS2 ; Hi Fred Fred Blau wrote: > Recently my eCS v1.1 system has developed a minor annoyance at > startup, which I typically do every morning, as I usually shut > down the machine at night. At the completion of the ...

  1. Re: Minor problem at startup

    Hi Fred

    Fred Blau wrote:
    > Recently my eCS v1.1 system has developed a minor annoyance at
    > startup, which I typically do every morning, as I usually shut
    > down the machine at night. At the completion of the boot cycle,
    > the screen contains an empty window for F:\Trash and a properties
    > window entitled @mapping with tabs: Type, Become, Icon, File, and
    > Menu. Occasionally I have seen two windows: F:\Trash\0 and
    > F:\Trash\1.
    >
    > F: is an hpfs partition, not the one with the OS on it (which is
    > C. I believe the main Trash Can is on C:, but I am not sure.
    >
    > I have no idea what initiated this behavior, but I would like to
    > stop it from happening. I have deleted the offending objects, but
    > they return. Any ideas?

    How often do you use an ini file checker/cleaner? - sounds like your
    system may benefit from a run with checkini (WPTools) and cleanini
    http://www.ca-arnold.de/download/cleanini55.zip

    Regards

    Pete

  2. Minor problem at startup

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Remove SPAM-STOP from e-mail address)

  3. Re: Minor problem at startup

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:57:08 UTC, Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    > On 03.11.08 21:14, Fred Blau wrote:
    >
    > > At the completion of the boot cycle, the screen contains an empty
    > > window for F:\Trash and a properties window entitled @mapping with
    > > tabs: Type, Become, Icon, File, and Menu. Occasionally I have seen
    > > two windows: F:\Trash\0 and F:\Trash\1.

    > I would check the startup folders entries in OS2.INI:
    >
    > PM_Workplace:Startup
    >
    > That ini application should contain one entry and point to the handle
    > in hex of the folder, if you precede the entry with a
    > "3".
    >
    > You can use Henk Kelder's WPTools funcs to test this with a simple REXX
    > macro.

    There are easier ways to identify the contents of PM_Workplace:Startup.

    1) Since each of the problem folders are already open, you can use their
    menus to open each one's Properties notebook. Go to the Icon page and
    click on the 'Details' button at the bottom. One of the items shown on
    the popup window is "Object Handle". This number, minus the leading '3',
    is what you'll probably see listed in PM_Workplace:Startup. If it's
    there, delete that item's entry.

    2) If you have DragText, you can go the other way. Copy a number you
    see listed in PM_Workplace:Startup into a window that DT supports (e.g.
    e.exe or DTClip's viewer). Prefix it with a '3', hilite it then press
    Ctrl-Shift-F10 or click Ctrl-Shift-MB2. The menu that pops up shows
    the name of the object at the top. If it identifies one of the rogue
    objects, delete that item's entry.

    3) If you have my 'oo' util, you can identify the object from the command
    line. Type in "oo /i 3xxxx" (where xxxx = the number from the os2.ini
    entry). When you press 'Enter', it will identify the object for you.

    --
    == == almost usable email address: Rich AT E-vertise.Com == ==

    | DragText v3.9 with NLS support
    Rich Walsh | A Distinctly Different Desktop Enhancement
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/dragtext/

  4. Re: Minor problem at startup

    wrote:

    > On 03.11.08 21:14, Fred Blau wrote:
    >
    > > At the completion of the boot cycle, the screen contains an empty
    > > window for F:\Trash and a properties window entitled @mapping with
    > > tabs: Type, Become, Icon, File, and Menu. Occasionally I have seen
    > > two windows: F:\Trash\0 and F:\Trash\1.

    > OK, you're using the eWP extensions, but I don't think that matters
    > for your case.
    >
    > How is your RESTARTOBJECTS entry in CONFIG.SYS?
    >
    > Mine is:
    >
    > SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO,REBOOTONLY
    >
    > If that is already the case (also "NO" is useful), I would check the
    > startup folders entries in OS2.INI:
    >
    > PM_Workplace:Startup
    >
    > That ini application should contain one entry and point to the handle
    > in hex of the folder, if you precede the entry with a
    > "3".
    >
    > You can use Henk Kelder's WPTools funcs to test this with a simple REXX
    > macro.
    >
    > If that's all much too high for you, just restore a WPS archive.
    >
    > BTW: I've moved all objects previously contained in to
    > XWP startup folders, so that the CONFIG.SYS setting above doesn't
    > apply here and additionally, I'm able to control the delay times.

    Thanks, Andreas. As I wrote to Peter Brown, the symptoms have
    disappeared. But in case they return, I will keep your
    suggestions on file.

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Remove SPAM-STOP from e-mail address)

  5. Re: Minor problem at startup

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 01:10:48 UTC, "Rich Walsh"
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:57:08 UTC, Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    > > On 03.11.08 21:14, Fred Blau wrote:
    > >
    > > > At the completion of the boot cycle, the screen contains an empty
    > > > window for F:\Trash and a properties window entitled @mapping with
    > > > tabs: Type, Become, Icon, File, and Menu. Occasionally I have seen
    > > > two windows: F:\Trash\0 and F:\Trash\1.

    > > I would check the startup folders entries in OS2.INI:
    > >
    > > PM_Workplace:Startup
    > >
    > > That ini application should contain one entry and point to the handle
    > > in hex of the folder, if you precede the entry with a
    > > "3".
    > >
    > > You can use Henk Kelder's WPTools funcs to test this with a simple REXX
    > > macro.

    > There are easier ways to identify the contents of PM_Workplace:Startup.
    >
    > 1) Since each of the problem folders are already open, you can use their
    > menus to open each one's Properties notebook. Go to the Icon page and
    > click on the 'Details' button at the bottom. One of the items shown on
    > the popup window is "Object Handle". This number, minus the leading '3',
    > is what you'll probably see listed in PM_Workplace:Startup. If it's
    > there, delete that item's entry.
    >
    > 2) If you have DragText, you can go the other way. Copy a number you
    > see listed in PM_Workplace:Startup into a window that DT supports (e.g.
    > e.exe or DTClip's viewer). Prefix it with a '3', hilite it then press
    > Ctrl-Shift-F10 or click Ctrl-Shift-MB2. The menu that pops up shows
    > the name of the object at the top. If it identifies one of the rogue
    > objects, delete that item's entry.
    >
    > 3) If you have my 'oo' util, you can identify the object from the command
    > line. Type in "oo /i 3xxxx" (where xxxx = the number from the os2.ini
    > entry). When you press 'Enter', it will identify the object for you.

    Thanks, Rich. As I wrote to Peter Brown and Andreas
    Schnellbacher, the symptoms have disappeared, but I will retain
    your suggestions in case they come back.

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Remove SPAM-STOP from e-mail address)

  6. Re: Minor problem at startup

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 00:38:01 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > Hi Fred
    >
    > Fred Blau wrote:
    > > Recently my eCS v1.1 system has developed a minor annoyance at
    > > startup, which I typically do every morning, as I usually shut
    > > down the machine at night. At the completion of the boot cycle,
    > > the screen contains an empty window for F:\Trash and a properties
    > > window entitled @mapping with tabs: Type, Become, Icon, File, and
    > > Menu. Occasionally I have seen two windows: F:\Trash\0 and
    > > F:\Trash\1.
    > >
    > > F: is an hpfs partition, not the one with the OS on it (which is
    > > C. I believe the main Trash Can is on C:, but I am not sure.
    > >
    > > I have no idea what initiated this behavior, but I would like to
    > > stop it from happening. I have deleted the offending objects, but
    > > they return. Any ideas?
    > >

    > How often do you use an ini file checker/cleaner? - sounds like your
    > system may benefit from a run with checkini (WPTools) and cleanini
    > http://www.ca-arnold.de/download/cleanini55.zip
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Pete, I did use both checkini and cleanini several times but they
    did not seem to make a difference. However, the day after I
    posted here, the symptoms disappeared as magically as they had
    appeared. Now it's two days in a row. How odd.

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Remove SPAM-STOP from e-mail address)

+ Reply to Thread