Jalbum question - OS2

This is a discussion on Jalbum question - OS2 ; Hi Mat Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote: > Hi, > > I tried installing jalbum 7.4 and 8.0 from > http://www.os2site.com/sw/graphics/photo/ , > > but both fail in the installer with 'execption in thread "main" . I'm using > Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05 ...

  1. Re: Jalbum question

    Hi Mat

    Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I tried installing jalbum 7.4 and 8.0 from
    > http://www.os2site.com/sw/graphics/photo/ ,
    >
    > but both fail in the installer with 'execption in thread "main" . I'm using
    > Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05 .
    >
    > Should I do something special or is Jalbum not compatible with this Java?
    >
    > On another note, is there something that will allow me to print index pages
    > of directories with images?
    >
    > Mat Nieuwenhoven

    I do not use jalbum myself but have noticed that java installers tend to
    fail so do not bother with anything wrapped in a java installer. No idea
    if it is because java14x is not "native" but suspect there may be a
    relationship.

    Is jalbum available without an installer?

    Regards

    Pete

  2. Jalbum question

    Hi,

    I tried installing jalbum 7.4 and 8.0 from
    http://www.os2site.com/sw/graphics/photo/ ,

    but both fail in the installer with 'execption in thread "main" . I'm using
    Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05 .

    Should I do something special or is Jalbum not compatible with this Java?

    On another note, is there something that will allow me to print index pages
    of directories with images?

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  3. Re: Jalbum question

    > I tried installing jalbum 7.4 and 8.0 from
    > http://www.os2site.com/sw/graphics/photo/ ,
    >
    > but both fail in the installer with 'execption in thread "main" . I'm using
    > Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05 .
    >
    > Should I do something special or is Jalbum not compatible with this Java?

    Since JAlbum version 7.0 JAVA 1.5 is required.
    See also http://jalbum.net/

    With some fiddling you can get Suns JRE 1.5.0_7 running with the
    Innotek runtime. Then also the new JAlbum versions work.

    BTW, there has always been a version without installer.
    Just unpack the archive and run it "java -jar jalbum.jar".

  4. Re: Jalbum question

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:08:40 UTC, Heiko Nitzsche
    wrote:

    > > I tried installing jalbum 7.4 and 8.0 from
    > > http://www.os2site.com/sw/graphics/photo/ ,
    > >
    > > but both fail in the installer with 'execption in thread "main" . I'm using
    > > Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05 .
    > >
    > > Should I do something special or is Jalbum not compatible with this Java?

    > Since JAlbum version 7.0 JAVA 1.5 is required.
    > See also http://jalbum.net/
    >
    > With some fiddling you can get Suns JRE 1.5.0_7 running with the
    > Innotek runtime. Then also the new JAlbum versions work.
    >
    > BTW, there has always been a version without installer.
    > Just unpack the archive and run it "java -jar jalbum.jar".

    JAlbum 7.4 works here with Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05.

    In program object properties:

    G:\JAVA142\BIN\JAVAW.EXE
    Parameters:
    -Xmx400M -jar g:\programs\jalbum\JAlbum.jar

    --
    Hessu

  5. Re: Jalbum question

    > JAlbum 7.4 works here with Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05.

    Yeah, you're right. I didn't mean 7.0 but 8.0. I can't find
    the note anymore but it was somewhere either in the history,
    release-notes or just the announcement of the new version 8.0.

    All JAlbum versions up to 7.x work with JAVA 1.4.2. With JAlbum
    8.0 you will get the exception with JAVA versions lower than 1.5.
    I just tried 8.0 with JAVA 1.4.2 and got the error. With JAVA
    1.5 the same package works fine.

  6. Re: Jalbum question

    > Yeah, you're right. I didn't mean 7.0 but 8.0. I can't find
    > the note anymore but it was somewhere either in the history,
    > release-notes or just the announcement of the new version 8.0.
    >
    > All JAlbum versions up to 7.x work with JAVA 1.4.2. With JAlbum
    > 8.0 you will get the exception with JAVA versions lower than 1.5.
    > I just tried 8.0 with JAVA 1.4.2 and got the error. With JAVA
    > 1.5 the same package works fine.

    Here is an official comment from the author:
    http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?...178348&#178348

  7. Re: Jalbum question

    > Yeah, you're right. I didn't mean 7.0 but 8.0. I can't find
    > the note anymore but it was somewhere either in the history,
    > release-notes or just the announcement of the new version 8.0.
    >
    > All JAlbum versions up to 7.x work with JAVA 1.4.2. With JAlbum
    > 8.0 you will get the exception with JAVA versions lower than 1.5.
    > I just tried 8.0 with JAVA 1.4.2 and got the error. With JAVA
    > 1.5 the same package works fine.

    Here is an official comment from the author:

    jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=178348&#178348

    (copy the above incomplete URL to the browser, SeaMonkey somehow
    craps the full URL here which is why I added the incomplete one)

  8. Re: Jalbum question

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 14:51:54 UTC, "Mat Nieuwenhoven"
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I tried installing jalbum 7.4 and 8.0 from
    > http://www.os2site.com/sw/graphics/photo/ ,
    >
    > but both fail in the installer with 'execption in thread "main" . I'm using
    > Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05 .
    >
    > Should I do something special or is Jalbum not compatible with this Java?
    >
    > On another note, is there something that will allow me to print index pages
    > of directories with images?
    >
    > Mat Nieuwenhoven

    I have quit using the JAlbum installer. Just get the ZIP file, and
    unzip it somewhere, then do the following:

    As noted, JAlbum 8.x (and, later, I presume), requires JAVA 1.5. You
    CAN run JAVA 1.5, along side of JAVA 1.4, by doing the following:

    DETAILS:
    First, to clean up your JAVA 1.4 installation (if you were playing
    with JAVA 1.5 at one time, this is not required, if you didn't do
    that, and JAVA 1.4 is working fine). Uninstall JAVA, 1.4.2_09 using
    ECsMT, and install it again.

    Go to:

    > https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...-CDS_Developer

    and do what is required to get the JRE1.5.0_07 package (windows exe
    file).

    Install that to a windows system (probably needs Win2K, or later). I
    used Virtual PC, with Win2K, for that job (you may need to uninstall
    any later versions of JAVA that are installed).

    Copy the installed windows directory (in Win2K, it is C:\Program
    Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07) to be beside the installed OS/2 JAVA
    directory, and rename it to JAVA150. It should contain a few files,
    plus a BIN directory, and a LIB directory (with others below them).
    Then, copy java.exe, javaw.exe, and j2win.dll from java142\BIN to
    JAVA150\BIN.

    Now, install RUN_JAVA (if it is not already installed), and copy the
    JAVA14.CMD file in the RUN_JAVA directory to JAVA15.CMD, then find the
    line:
    jver = SysIni(,'OS2 Kit for Java','CurrentVersion')
    REM it, and add the line:
    jver = "1.5.0_07-b03"
    in it's place.

    Then find the line:
    jpth = SysIni(,'OS2 Kit for Java',jver)
    (should be the nextline), REM it, and add the line:
    jpth = "W:\PROGRAMS\JAVA150"
    in it's place. (Change the drive, and path to point to the JAVA150
    directory, as required).

    To use it, create a JAVA 1.4 icon, by dropping the appropriate JAR
    file onto the icon that says Create JAVA 14 Object. That will create
    a new icon, on the desktop. If you wish to run that program, using
    JAVA 1.5, change the icon properties to point to JAVA_15.CMD, and
    change the icon text to read jv15, instead of jv14 (that part is
    cosmetic only). Now, opening that program should run it with JAVA 1.5.
    Meanwhile, JAVA 1.4 is still the default system JAVA.

    This works with JAlbum 8.09, and GenJ 2.4.4, as well as with Limewire
    4.18.8. I haven't tried anything else, yet, the rest are still running
    with JAVA 1.4.

    Hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 2.0 RC2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  9. Re: Jalbum question

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 17:03:24 GMT, Heikki Kekki wrote:

    :>
    :>On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:08:40 UTC, Heiko Nitzsche
    :> wrote:
    :>
    :>> > I tried installing jalbum 7.4 and 8.0 from
    :>> > http://www.os2site.com/sw/graphics/photo/ ,
    :>> >
    :>> > but both fail in the installer with 'execption in thread "main" . I'm using
    :>> > Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05 .
    :>> >
    :>> > Should I do something special or is Jalbum not compatible with this Java?
    :>>
    :>> Since JAlbum version 7.0 JAVA 1.5 is required.
    :>> See also http://jalbum.net/
    :>>
    :>> With some fiddling you can get Suns JRE 1.5.0_7 running with the
    :>> Innotek runtime. Then also the new JAlbum versions work.
    :>>
    :>> BTW, there has always been a version without installer.
    :>> Just unpack the archive and run it "java -jar jalbum.jar".
    :>
    :>JAlbum 7.4 works here with Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05.
    :>
    :>In program object properties:
    :>
    :>G:\JAVA142\BIN\JAVAW.EXE
    :>Parameters:
    :>-Xmx400M -jar g:\programs\jalbum\JAlbum.jar

    This is without the installer, I think? I will try that, the Java 1.5 route,
    while attractive, is a lot more work.

    Thanks, mat Nieuwenhoven

  10. Re: Jalbum question

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 05:23:29 UTC, "Mat Nieuwenhoven"
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 17:03:24 GMT, Heikki Kekki wrote:
    >
    > :>
    > :>On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:08:40 UTC, Heiko Nitzsche
    > :> wrote:
    > :>
    > :>> > I tried installing jalbum 7.4 and 8.0 from
    > :>> > http://www.os2site.com/sw/graphics/photo/ ,
    > :>> >
    > :>> > but both fail in the installer with 'execption in thread "main" . I'm using
    > :>> > Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05 .
    > :>> >
    > :>> > Should I do something special or is Jalbum not compatible with this Java?
    > :>>
    > :>> Since JAlbum version 7.0 JAVA 1.5 is required.
    > :>> See also http://jalbum.net/
    > :>>
    > :>> With some fiddling you can get Suns JRE 1.5.0_7 running with the
    > :>> Innotek runtime. Then also the new JAlbum versions work.
    > :>>
    > :>> BTW, there has always been a version without installer.
    > :>> Just unpack the archive and run it "java -jar jalbum.jar".
    > :>
    > :>JAlbum 7.4 works here with Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05.
    > :>
    > :>In program object properties:
    > :>
    > :>G:\JAVA142\BIN\JAVAW.EXE
    > :>Parameters:
    > :>-Xmx400M -jar g:\programs\jalbum\JAlbum.jar
    >
    > This is without the installer, I think? I will try that, the Java 1.5 route,
    > while attractive, is a lot more work.

    Yes, just unzip jalbum7.4.zip and make program object for it.

    --
    Hessu

  11. Re: Jalbum question

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 07:47:55 GMT, Heikki Kekki wrote:

    :>
    :>On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 05:23:29 UTC, "Mat Nieuwenhoven"
    :> wrote:
    :>
    :>> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 17:03:24 GMT, Heikki Kekki wrote:
    :>>
    :>> :>
    :>> :>On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:08:40 UTC, Heiko Nitzsche
    :>> :> wrote:
    :>> :>
    :>> :>> > I tried installing jalbum 7.4 and 8.0 from
    :>> :>> > http://www.os2site.com/sw/graphics/photo/ ,
    :>> :>> >
    :>> :>> > but both fail in the installer with 'execption in thread "main" . I'm using
    :>> :>> > Innotek's java 1.4.2_09-b05 .
    :>> :>> >
    :>> :>> > Should I do something special or is Jalbum not compatible with this Java?
    :>> :>>
[...]

    With the unzip and a program object, Jalbum in itself works, thanks. However,
    it doesn't seem to be able to handle to 900+ photos I need to sort through,
    at less than halfway through creating thumbnails I get java out of memory
    errors. Setting -Xmx800M did not make any difference to speak of.

    I need to select about 100 from over 900 photos, the normal WPS folder icon
    view would be fine except the icons are so very small. The 120x120 thumbnails
    from Jalbum are just big enough to make a selection.

    Any suggestions for software that helps with this?

    Thanks, Mat Nieuwenhoven

  12. Re: Jalbum question

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 18:46:49 UTC, "Mat Nieuwenhoven"
    wrote:

    > With the unzip and a program object, Jalbum in itself works, thanks. However,
    > it doesn't seem to be able to handle to 900+ photos I need to sort through,
    > at less than halfway through creating thumbnails I get java out of memory
    > errors. Setting -Xmx800M did not make any difference to speak of.
    >
    > I need to select about 100 from over 900 photos, the normal WPS folder icon
    > view would be fine except the icons are so very small. The 120x120 thumbnails
    > from Jalbum are just big enough to make a selection.
    >
    > Any suggestions for software that helps with this?

    http://www.pmview.com/

    Thumbnail size 32x32 to 224x224.

    --
    Hessu