No boot messages - OS2

This is a discussion on No boot messages - OS2 ; Hi folks, I cloned an existing OS/2 installation onto a HP nx6125 notebook. What's happaning is, that after the OS/2 logo is (correctly) displayed, the screen goes blank until PM starts up. Messages from device drivers are not visible. I ...

  1. No boot messages

    Hi folks,

    I cloned an existing OS/2 installation onto a HP nx6125 notebook.

    What's happaning is, that after the OS/2 logo is (correctly)
    displayed, the screen goes blank until PM starts up. Messages
    from device drivers are not visible.

    I already tried to remove the logo file to (possibly) avoid a
    mode switch, however this didn't help. Any ideas ?

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de

  2. Re: No boot messages

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> I cloned an existing OS/2 installation onto a HP nx6125 notebook.
    >>
    >> What's happaning is, that after the OS/2 logo is (correctly)
    >> displayed, the screen goes blank until PM starts up. Messages
    >> from device drivers are not visible.
    >>
    >> I already tried to remove the logo file to (possibly) avoid a
    >> mode switch, however this didn't help. Any ideas ?

    > There used to be an issue like this with ATI displays and the solution was to
    > set the default refresh rate to 60Hz for 640x480 but this applicable to ancient
    > old ATI graphics cards which had utilities to set defaults like this and write
    > them to NVRAM!

    I once had a notebook with a similar (identical?) problem. In my case I
    could trace it to BVHSVGA.DLL IIRC. Some port access by this DLL
    switched all video output off until PMSHELL was initialized. Removing
    BVHSVGA.DLL from the CONFIG.SYS settings kept video alive until PMSHELL
    startup, but caused a crash short after that point :-(

    Ciao,
    Dani

  3. Re: No boot messages

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 17:41:52 UTC, Daniela Engert wrote:

    > I once had a notebook with a similar (identical?) problem. In my case I
    > could trace it to BVHSVGA.DLL IIRC. Some port access by this DLL
    > switched all video output off until PMSHELL was initialized. Removing
    > BVHSVGA.DLL from the CONFIG.SYS settings kept video alive until PMSHELL
    > startup, but caused a crash short after that point :-(

    Hmm, strange... I just found out that everthing works as it should
    when switching to an external monitor (via Fn-Key). This also fixes
    the problems with DOS windows that I didn't mention before.

    BTW, it's an ATI X200 graphics chip.

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de
    Please remove all characters left of the "R" in my email address

  4. Re: No boot messages

    Ruediger Ihle wrote:

    >> I once had a notebook with a similar (identical?) problem. In my case I
    >> could trace it to BVHSVGA.DLL IIRC. Some port access by this DLL
    >> switched all video output off until PMSHELL was initialized. Removing
    >> BVHSVGA.DLL from the CONFIG.SYS settings kept video alive until PMSHELL
    >> startup, but caused a crash short after that point :-(

    > Hmm, strange... I just found out that everthing works as it should
    > when switching to an external monitor (via Fn-Key). This also fixes
    > the problems with DOS windows that I didn't mention before.

    This matches my experiences back then.

    Ciao,
    Dani

+ Reply to Thread