WINOS2 via java? - OS2

This is a discussion on WINOS2 via java? - OS2 ; Here are three scenarios: 1) Click on the Notepad (A winos2 app) icon - program comes up in a window. 2) type notepad at a command line - program comes up as a window but on the winos2 background. 3) ...

  1. WINOS2 via java?

    Here are three scenarios:
    1) Click on the Notepad (A winos2 app) icon - program comes up in a window.
    2) type notepad at a command line - program comes up as a window but on
    the winos2 background.
    3) start notepad via the java exec statement - fails with
    doscreateprocess rc 13. (non-winos2 progams seem to start ok).

    The benaviour seems to be the same on Warp 4 and ECS1.2R

    My question is what can be done to get scenario (3) working.

    Any ideas?
    Peter

  2. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > Here are three scenarios:
    > 1) Click on the Notepad (A winos2 app) icon - program comes up in a window.
    > 2) type notepad at a command line - program comes up as a window but on
    > the winos2 background.
    > 3) start notepad via the java exec statement - fails with
    > doscreateprocess rc 13. (non-winos2 progams seem to start ok).
    >
    > The benaviour seems to be the same on Warp 4 and ECS1.2R
    >
    > My question is what can be done to get scenario (3) working.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Peter

    How about feeding the exec()

    "start /win c:\\os2\winos2\notepad.exe"

    Bob Plyler

  3. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    noname
    ], who wrote in article <48ea4cfe@kcnews01>:
    > How about feeding the exec()
    >
    > "start /win c:\\os2\winos2\notepad.exe"

    start /win

    is for starting OS/2 VIO programs.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  4. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 20:23:25 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > noname
    > ], who wrote in article <48ea4cfe@kcnews01>:
    > > How about feeding the exec()
    > >
    > > "start /win c:\\os2\winos2\notepad.exe"

    > start /win
    >
    > is for starting OS/2 VIO programs.

    That may be true. But you omitted to point out that, nevertheless, it
    works.

    (or it does, once the path is corrected to include '\mdos\', and one
    might as well change the '\\' to '\' too)

  5. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    Bob Eager
    ], who wrote in article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-hkSvkLBEqmRK@rikki.tavi.co.uk>:
    > > > How about feeding the exec()

    > > > "start /win c:\\os2\winos2\notepad.exe"

    > > start /win

    > > is for starting OS/2 VIO programs.

    > That may be true. But you omitted to point out that, nevertheless, it
    > works.

    Interesting (do not think I have WinOS2, so can't check). BTW,
    "works" with what shells?

    Thanks for a correction,
    Ilya

  6. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 22:50:52 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was NOT [per weedlist] sent to
    > Bob Eager

    > > > start /win

    > > > is for starting OS/2 VIO programs.

    > > That may be true. But you omitted to point out that, nevertheless, it
    > > works.

    > Interesting (do not think I have WinOS2, so can't check). BTW,
    > "works" with what shells?

    Works with CMD.EXE; one would have to invoke a shell anyway since
    'start' is a built-in command.

  7. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    Bob Eager
    ], who wrote in article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-gJMrtYBN3Z8Y@rikki.tavi.co.uk>:

    > > > That may be true. But you omitted to point out that, nevertheless, it
    > > > works.

    > > Interesting (do not think I have WinOS2, so can't check). BTW,
    > > "works" with what shells?

    > Works with CMD.EXE; one would have to invoke a shell anyway since
    > 'start' is a built-in command.

    Sure, but there are other shells with `start' than CMD...

    Yours,
    Ilya

  8. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    On 10/06/08 03:50 pm, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > Interesting (do not think I have WinOS2, so can't check). BTW,
    > "works" with what shells?

    start /win notepad works with at least 4os2, cmd.exe and ksh
    Dave

  9. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 01:23:45 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was NOT [per weedlist] sent to
    > Bob Eager

    > > > Interesting (do not think I have WinOS2, so can't check). BTW,
    > > > "works" with what shells?

    > > Works with CMD.EXE; one would have to invoke a shell anyway since
    > > 'start' is a built-in command.

    > Sure, but there are other shells with `start' than CMD...

    Yes, so any sensible programmer would make sure to use CMD explicitly.

  10. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    Bob Eager
    ], who wrote in article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-WDjlkPQ4kN6r@rikki.tavi.co.uk>:
    > > > Works with CMD.EXE; one would have to invoke a shell anyway since
    > > > 'start' is a built-in command.

    > > Sure, but there are other shells with `start' than CMD...

    > Yes, so any sensible programmer would make sure to use CMD explicitly.

    ??? Nope, they just won't use undocumented features without testing
    on the whole spectrum...

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  11. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    Dave Yeo
    ], who wrote in article :
    > On 10/06/08 03:50 pm, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > > Interesting (do not think I have WinOS2, so can't check). BTW,
    > > "works" with what shells?

    > start /win notepad works with at least 4os2, cmd.exe and ksh

    Nope. With pdksh's one:

    ksh -c "start /win fc"
    i:\BIN\ksh.exe: start: not found

    I suspect you have something like start.exe on your PATH, or an alias...

    [And of course, I meant only OS2ISH shells in my question above...]

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  12. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    START is a built-in command for CMD.EXE and also for 4OS2.EXE. It is not and
    never was an executable.
    If it fails with other shells then these are not OS/2 compliant.

    Lars

    "Ilya Zakharevich" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Dave Yeo
    > ], who wrote in article :
    >> On 10/06/08 03:50 pm, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    >> > Interesting (do not think I have WinOS2, so can't check). BTW,
    >> > "works" with what shells?

    >> start /win notepad works with at least 4os2, cmd.exe and ksh

    > Nope. With pdksh's one:
    >
    > ksh -c "start /win fc"
    > i:\BIN\ksh.exe: start: not found
    >
    > I suspect you have something like start.exe on your PATH, or an alias...
    >
    > [And of course, I meant only OS2ISH shells in my question above...]
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ilya

  13. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 08:41:50 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > I suspect you have something like start.exe on your PATH, or an alias...

    As I already told you, it's a built in command in the OS/2 CMD.EXE
    shell.

  14. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    On 10/07/08 01:41 am, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > Dave Yeo
    > ], who wrote in article:
    >> On 10/06/08 03:50 pm, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    >>> Interesting (do not think I have WinOS2, so can't check). BTW,
    >>> "works" with what shells?

    >> start /win notepad works with at least 4os2, cmd.exe and ksh

    > Nope. With pdksh's one:
    >
    > ksh -c "start /win fc"
    > i:\BIN\ksh.exe: start: not found
    >
    > I suspect you have something like start.exe on your PATH, or an alias...
    >
    > [And of course, I meant only OS2ISH shells in my question above...]

    Hmm, works with

    R:\tmp>ksh
    F:\USR\BIN\ksh.exe:
    [1]/tmp: start /win notepad

    but not with

    R:\tmp>ksh -c start /win notepad
    /win: start: not found

    also other shells do not work.
    Dave

  15. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 09:16:52 UTC, "Lars Erdmann" wrote:

    > START is a built-in command for CMD.EXE and also for 4OS2.EXE. It is not and
    > never was an executable.

    For CMD32 shell, start.exe is a separate .exe file

    --
    Allan.

    It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
    than to open it, and remove all doubt.

  16. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    Dave Yeo
    ], who wrote in article :
    > > ksh -c "start /win fc"
    > > i:\BIN\ksh.exe: start: not found

    > > I suspect you have something like start.exe on your PATH, or an alias...

    > Hmm, works with

    > R:\tmp>ksh
    > F:\USR\BIN\ksh.exe:
    > [1]/tmp: start /win notepad

    But you did not check what I said:

    I:\ZAX\BIN>ksh
    [1]I:/ZAX/BIN: alias start
    start='cmd /c start /f /n'

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  17. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    On 10/07/08 01:06 pm, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > But you did not check what I said:
    >
    > I:\ZAX\BIN>ksh
    > [1]I:/ZAX/BIN: alias start
    > start='cmd /c start /f /n'

    Ok, I understand why it works now
    Dave

  18. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > Here are three scenarios:
    > 1) Click on the Notepad (A winos2 app) icon - program comes up in a window.
    > 2) type notepad at a command line - program comes up as a window but on
    > the winos2 background.
    > 3) start notepad via the java exec statement - fails with
    > doscreateprocess rc 13. (non-winos2 progams seem to start ok).
    >
    > The benaviour seems to be the same on Warp 4 and ECS1.2R
    >
    > My question is what can be done to get scenario (3) working.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Peter

    Something seems to have got confused here. The replies I am seeing seem
    to belong to a different thread.
    Peter

  19. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:19:18 UTC, Peter J Seymour
    wrote:

    > Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > > Here are three scenarios:
    > > 1) Click on the Notepad (A winos2 app) icon - program comes up in a window.
    > > 2) type notepad at a command line - program comes up as a window but on
    > > the winos2 background.
    > > 3) start notepad via the java exec statement - fails with
    > > doscreateprocess rc 13. (non-winos2 progams seem to start ok).
    > >
    > > The benaviour seems to be the same on Warp 4 and ECS1.2R
    > >
    > > My question is what can be done to get scenario (3) working.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > > Peter

    > Something seems to have got confused here. The replies I am seeing seem
    > to belong to a different thread.

    I think Ilya went off on a major tangent again.

    In summary: try a DosCreateProcess to run:

    cmd.exe /c start /win c:/mdos/winos2/notepad.exe

  20. Re: WINOS2 via java?

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:19:18 UTC, Peter J Seymour
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >>
    >>>Here are three scenarios:
    >>>1) Click on the Notepad (A winos2 app) icon - program comes up in a window.
    >>>2) type notepad at a command line - program comes up as a window but on
    >>>the winos2 background.
    >>>3) start notepad via the java exec statement - fails with
    >>>doscreateprocess rc 13. (non-winos2 progams seem to start ok).
    >>>
    >>>The benaviour seems to be the same on Warp 4 and ECS1.2R
    >>>
    >>>My question is what can be done to get scenario (3) working.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?
    >>>Peter

    >>Something seems to have got confused here. The replies I am seeing seem
    >>to belong to a different thread.

    > I think Ilya went off on a major tangent again.
    >
    > In summary: try a DosCreateProcess to run:
    >
    > cmd.exe /c start /win c:/mdos/winos2/notepad.exe

    ok, that works fine. Thanks
    Peter

+ Reply to Thread