Archive creation failure - OS2

This is a discussion on Archive creation failure - OS2 ; I can't seem to find the information on the mechanism (the exe, dll, etc.) of what creates the system archives on boot up, after the the Desktop Properties Notebook is enabled for "create archive at each system startup". I have ...

  1. Archive creation failure

    I can't seem to find the information on the mechanism (the exe, dll, etc.) of what
    creates the system archives on boot up, after the the Desktop Properties
    Notebook is enabled for "create archive at each system startup".

    I have determined that the os2.ini and os2sys.ini files are not correctly archived
    because on restoration at startup, several Desktop icons are blank. I have proved
    that the restore process works ok because when I copy good os2.ini and os2sys.ini
    files into, say, the \os2\archives\01 directory (from maintenance partition), the
    Desktop loads ok. This issue is repeatable. My good ini files are from a backup,
    and normal rebooting works fine.

    Archiving used to work correctly some time ago, maybe a few years ago.

    This system has been quite solid: Warp Server for e-business, Convenience Pack 2.

    Any Ideas what I should look at?

    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  2. Re: Archive creation failure

    Erick Andrews wrote:
    > I can't seem to find the information on the mechanism (the exe, dll, etc.) of what
    > creates the system archives on boot up, after the the Desktop Properties
    > Notebook is enabled for "create archive at each system startup".
    >
    > I have determined that the os2.ini and os2sys.ini files are not correctly archived
    > because on restoration at startup, several Desktop icons are blank. I have proved
    > that the restore process works ok because when I copy good os2.ini and os2sys.ini
    > files into, say, the \os2\archives\01 directory (from maintenance partition), the
    > Desktop loads ok. This issue is repeatable. My good ini files are from a backup,
    > and normal rebooting works fine.
    >
    > Archiving used to work correctly some time ago, maybe a few years ago.
    >
    > This system has been quite solid: Warp Server for e-business, Convenience Pack 2.
    >
    > Any Ideas what I should look at?

    ARCINST.EXE is the process which creates the archive. There may even be
    some help for it in the IBM help files somewhere, but it's been a while
    since I looked. I remember there was a configuration file for it
    containing a list of files to include in the archive also. The people
    who worked on the eCS installation routines probably know it quite well
    if you can get a hold of them.

  3. Re: Archive creation failure

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:30:35 UTC, Marty wrote:

    > Erick Andrews wrote:
    > > I can't seem to find the information on the mechanism (the exe, dll, etc.) of what
    > > creates the system archives on boot up, after the the Desktop Properties
    > > Notebook is enabled for "create archive at each system startup".
    > >
    > > I have determined that the os2.ini and os2sys.ini files are not correctly archived
    > > because on restoration at startup, several Desktop icons are blank. I have proved
    > > that the restore process works ok because when I copy good os2.ini and os2sys.ini
    > > files into, say, the \os2\archives\01 directory (from maintenance partition), the
    > > Desktop loads ok. This issue is repeatable. My good ini files are from a backup,
    > > and normal rebooting works fine.
    > >
    > > Archiving used to work correctly some time ago, maybe a few years ago.
    > >
    > > This system has been quite solid: Warp Server for e-business, Convenience Pack 2.
    > >
    > > Any Ideas what I should look at?

    > ARCINST.EXE is the process which creates the archive. There may even be
    > some help for it in the IBM help files somewhere, but it's been a while
    > since I looked. I remember there was a configuration file for it
    > containing a list of files to include in the archive also. The people
    > who worked on the eCS installation routines probably know it quite well
    > if you can get a hold of them.

    Arcinst.exe. Yes, I remember now! And arcrecov.exe is its restoration twin.

    A quick comparison of them with my maintenance partition yields OK. The
    keys.$$$ files look OK, too. I'll have to hack around some more. I'm suspicious
    something in that area got smushed with a power glitch a while ago while
    doing the last archive.

    Thanks.

    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  4. Re: Archive creation failure

    Erick Andrews schrieb:

    > Arcinst.exe. Yes, I remember now! And arcrecov.exe is its restoration twin.
    >
    > A quick comparison of them with my maintenance partition yields OK. The
    > keys.$$$ files look OK, too. I'll have to hack around some more. I'm suspicious
    > something in that area got smushed with a power glitch a while ago while
    > doing the last archive.

    What arcinst.exe will do when you run it is that it will replace your
    original backup (taken directly after installation: 0X archive
    directory) with the current set of files so be careful if you don't want
    that to happen. On the other side, it's a good idea if you have made
    many changes to your system compared to the original installation.
    In your case it might also be a good idea to wipe out the whole archive
    set and run arcinst.exe to reset the whole archiving.

    Make sure that the files
    \os2\archives\os2.key
    \os2\archives\registry.key

    look something like this:
    \os2\archives\os2.key
    KEYFILE:OS2.INI
    KEYFILE:OS2SYS.INI
    KEYFILE:\CONFIG.SYS
    KEYFILE:\STARTUP.CMD
    KEYFILE:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
    KEYFILE:\OS2INIT.CMD

    \os2\archives\registry.key
    KEYFILE:\OS2\SYSTEM\USER.DAT
    KEYFILE:\OS2\SYSTEM\SYSTEM.DAT

    also make sure that SET USER_INI and SET SYSTEM_INI in config.sys point
    to the INIs that you intend to use (and backup).

    Lars

+ Reply to Thread