Innotek - OS2

This is a discussion on Innotek - OS2 ; Marc Lewis wrote: > Hello All. > > Well, from what I can see, the Innotek (see > http://www.innotek.de ) solutions for OS/2 are now _gone_ since > they were absorbed by Sun Microsystems. I presume that means > that ...

  1. Re: Innotek

    Marc Lewis wrote:

    > Hello All.
    >
    > Well, from what I can see, the Innotek (see
    > http://www.innotek.de) solutions for OS/2 are now _gone_ since
    > they were absorbed by Sun Microsystems. I presume that means
    > that there will no longer be any development on their run-time
    > environments, and the OS/2 port of the Flash player (which is
    > substantially outdated now and will not allow many pages to
    > display in Firefox or Mozilla.
    >
    > Does anyone have any other info on this?

    Innotek was purchased by Sun Microsystems in February 2008. Innotek did
    some pretty good stuff for OS/2 including their runtime environment, the
    adaption of Acrobat Java and Flash to run on OS/2, and Virtual PC with
    OS/2 as a host. IBM was paying for all of that stuff and when IBM
    discontinued OS/2 at the end of 2006, the Innotek funding went away.
    Some of the old Innotek downloads were still available via FTP a couple
    of months ago but maybe those are gone now. The same loss of funding
    thing happened with Scitech and their support for their SNAP video
    driver on OS/2. Whatever comes along in the future for OS/2 will be
    from volunteers.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  2. Re: Innotek

    Hi

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > Marc Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> Hello All.
    >>
    >> Well, from what I can see, the Innotek (see
    >> http://www.innotek.de) solutions for OS/2 are now _gone_ since
    >> they were absorbed by Sun Microsystems. I presume that means
    >> that there will no longer be any development on their run-time
    >> environments, and the OS/2 port of the Flash player (which is
    >> substantially outdated now and will not allow many pages to
    >> display in Firefox or Mozilla.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any other info on this?
    >>

    > Innotek was purchased by Sun Microsystems in February 2008. Innotek did
    > some pretty good stuff for OS/2 including their runtime environment, the
    > adaption of Acrobat Java and Flash to run on OS/2, and Virtual PC with
    > OS/2 as a host. IBM was paying for all of that stuff and when IBM
    > discontinued OS/2 at the end of 2006, the Innotek funding went away.
    > Some of the old Innotek downloads were still available via FTP a couple
    > of months ago but maybe those are gone now. The same loss of funding
    > thing happened with Scitech and their support for their SNAP video
    > driver on OS/2. Whatever comes along in the future for OS/2 will be from
    > volunteers.

    Looks like most of the innotek software is still available via the links
    on http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: Innotek

    Hi, Pete-

    In article , losepeteSPAM-ME-
    NOT@ntlworld.com says...

    > Looks like most of the innotek software is still available via the links
    > on http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

    A Google search is your friend in this case. I was able to find
    everything I needed and then immediately backed it up to tape.

    Later,
    Sean

  4. Innotek

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    * Original message posted in: OS2.
    * Crossposted in: COMP-OS2-MISC.
    Hello All.

    Well, from what I can see, the Innotek (see
    http://www.innotek.de) solutions for OS/2 are now _gone_ since
    they were absorbed by Sun Microsystems. I presume that means
    that there will no longer be any development on their run-time
    environments, and the OS/2 port of the Flash player (which is
    substantially outdated now and will not allow many pages to
    display in Firefox or Mozilla.

    Does anyone have any other info on this?

    Best regards,
    Marc
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  5. Re: Innotek

    Marc Lewis wrote:
    > + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    > * Original message posted in: OS2.
    > * Crossposted in: COMP-OS2-MISC.
    > Hello All.
    >
    > Well, from what I can see, the Innotek (see
    > http://www.innotek.de) solutions for OS/2 are now _gone_ since
    > they were absorbed by Sun Microsystems. I presume that means
    > that there will no longer be any development on their run-time
    > environments, and the OS/2 port of the Flash player (which is
    > substantially outdated now and will not allow many pages to
    > display in Firefox or Mozilla.
    >
    > Does anyone have any other info on this?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Marc
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    > + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    > + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

    Mensys has done a request with Adobe to license Flash plugin for
    distribution. We did multiple requests with Macromedia and Adobe but it
    got lost in the company somehow. We now have an account manager we can
    contact to see what happens so fingers crossed.

    Most of the runtime environment is not lost its hosted in the Netlabs
    SVN. The Innowin runtime is mostly ODIN code.

    So its waiting to see where this goes.

    We also have some slow work going on Java in the background.
    But right now we have our hands completely filled with getting eCS 2.0
    finished.

    Just to let people know stuff is being done in the background.

    Last but not least the community also has people who work on Firefox and
    Thunderbird (Peter Weilbachter etc). Paul Smedley is working on a
    new version of GCC compiler. So we are not in such a bad shape as a
    community.

    Best regards,

    Roderick Klein
    Mensys

  6. Re: Innotek

    Tu, Roderick Klein hai scritto questo in data Sun,
    26 Oct 2008 15:21:59 UTC:

    > Mensys has done a request with Adobe to license Flash plugin for
    > distribution. We did multiple requests with Macromedia and Adobe but it
    > got lost in the company somehow. We now have an account manager we can
    > contact to see what happens so fingers crossed.
    >
    > Most of the runtime environment is not lost its hosted in the Netlabs
    > SVN. The Innowin runtime is mostly ODIN code.
    >
    > So its waiting to see where this goes.
    >
    > We also have some slow work going on Java in the background.
    > But right now we have our hands completely filled with getting eCS 2.0
    > finished.
    >
    > Just to let people know stuff is being done in the background.
    >
    > Last but not least the community also has people who work on Firefox and
    > Thunderbird (Peter Weilbachter etc). Paul Smedley is working on a
    > new version of GCC compiler. So we are not in such a bad shape as a
    > community.

    Hi Roderick.

    Imho, I can see the situation is getting better than we could think
    some months ago. Interest seems slowly growing in the community, and
    some good results have been obtained by Paul and many others:: I'm
    mostly referring to GCC 4.3.2, which seems to work correctly with much
    software and is at the latest level.

    As far as I can tell, ODIN *might* be extended with Wine 1.1 (which I
    got from cvs, together with ODIN from netlabs). I'm looking forward to
    free some time and take a look at ODIN and its integration with Wine
    1.1 - but it's (I'm afraid) going to be a huge task. In the meantime,
    we developers are working on many targets.

    So, as Roderick says... Keep fingers crossed: or better... Those of us
    who know something about computer programming, download Paul's GCC
    port and start working :-)

    --
    Mentore Siesto
    eComStation Developer Team

  7. Re: Innotek

    Mentore Siesto wrote:
    > Tu, Roderick Klein hai scritto questo in data Sun,
    > 26 Oct 2008 15:21:59 UTC:
    >
    >> Mensys has done a request with Adobe to license Flash plugin for
    >> distribution. We did multiple requests with Macromedia and Adobe but it
    >> got lost in the company somehow. We now have an account manager we can
    >> contact to see what happens so fingers crossed.
    >>
    >> Most of the runtime environment is not lost its hosted in the Netlabs
    >> SVN. The Innowin runtime is mostly ODIN code.
    >>
    >> So its waiting to see where this goes.
    >>
    >> We also have some slow work going on Java in the background.
    >> But right now we have our hands completely filled with getting eCS 2.0
    >> finished.
    >>
    >> Just to let people know stuff is being done in the background.
    >>
    >> Last but not least the community also has people who work on Firefox and
    >> Thunderbird (Peter Weilbachter etc). Paul Smedley is working on a
    >> new version of GCC compiler. So we are not in such a bad shape as a
    >> community.

    > Hi Roderick.
    >
    > Imho, I can see the situation is getting better than we could think
    > some months ago. Interest seems slowly growing in the community, and
    > some good results have been obtained by Paul and many others:: I'm
    > mostly referring to GCC 4.3.2, which seems to work correctly with much
    > software and is at the latest level.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, ODIN *might* be extended with Wine 1.1 (which I
    > got from cvs, together with ODIN from netlabs). I'm looking forward to
    > free some time and take a look at ODIN and its integration with Wine
    > 1.1 - but it's (I'm afraid) going to be a huge task. In the meantime,
    > we developers are working on many targets.
    >
    > So, as Roderick says... Keep fingers crossed: or better... Those of us
    > who know something about computer programming, download Paul's GCC
    > port and start working :-)

    I don't know that much about OS/2. I'm not an in depth technical expert
    but when I look what I can do. There are people with a much higher
    technical skill set.

    OS/2 is just like a big railway station. The track lays open in front of
    you and the signal is on green. But nobody boards any of the trains
    ready to leave and push OS/2 forward. And don't say it can not be done.

    This letter:
    http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...H/letters.html

    For me the current kernel is not dead yet. For the coming years CPU's
    will support x86 instruction set.

    eCS 2.0 is taking long but we are working real hard to make certain eCS
    2.0 will work. eCS RC 6 will come out soon. Laptops with suspend resume
    are working now.

    And there is also being worked on Japenese and Traditional Chinese.

    Traditional Chinese being very far. But of course eCS 2.0 RC 6 will be
    released.

    Roderick Klein
    Mensys

  8. Re: Innotek

    Roderick Klein wrote: > Mensys has done a request with Adobe to license
    Flash plugin for
    > distribution. We did multiple requests with Macromedia and Adobe but it
    > got lost in the company somehow. We now have an account manager we can
    > contact to see what happens so fingers crossed.
    >
    > Most of the runtime environment is not lost its hosted in the Netlabs
    > SVN. The Innowin runtime is mostly ODIN code.
    >
    > So its waiting to see where this goes.
    >
    > We also have some slow work going on Java in the background.
    > But right now we have our hands completely filled with getting eCS 2.0
    > finished.
    >
    > Just to let people know stuff is being done in the background.
    >
    > Last but not least the community also has people who work on Firefox and
    > Thunderbird (Peter Weilbachter etc). Paul Smedley is working on a new
    > version of GCC compiler. So we are not in such a bad shape as a community.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Roderick Klein
    > Mensys

    This is positive news. Thanks for the update.

  9. Re: Innotek

    Tu, Roderick Klein hai scritto questo in data Sun,
    26 Oct 2008 20:44:04 UTC:

    > For me the current kernel is not dead yet. For the coming years CPU's
    > will support x86 instruction set.
    >
    > eCS 2.0 is taking long but we are working real hard to make certain eCS
    > 2.0 will work. eCS RC 6 will come out soon. Laptops with suspend resume
    > are working now.
    >
    > And there is also being worked on Japenese and Traditional Chinese.
    >
    > Traditional Chinese being very far. But of course eCS 2.0 RC 6 will be
    > released.

    You surely remember I'm in the developers mailing list, don't you? :-)
    So I know beforehand all those news, and contribute in developing as
    far as I can.

    The Italian NLV of eCS 2 is currently refreshing.
    Gabriele Gamba managed to get the RC 5 building, and I'm making the
    last works on translations and updating files and NLS specific data.
    Also developing software is one of my key interests in eCS: REXX
    (DrDialog) and OpenWatcom / gcc apps are much important for me, though
    I've got really little spare time (damn 10h/day working at job!).

    As for eCS kernel, we all know its limits: also, though it's not
    updated since 2005, it still outperforms Windows XP latest x32 kernel
    revision. IMHO it's something interesting to think about.

    A friend of mine, talking about XP for x64, said he trashed it in
    favor of Vista, due to lack of drivers and applications bad stability
    (does "lack of drivers" remember me something...?).

    Java and Flash are two big issues, getting bigger everyday. I hope we
    will solve them asap, together with Win32 apps support.

    Let's keep fingers crossed... Or better no! Let's keep our fingers on
    the keyboard :-)

    --
    Mentore Siesto
    eComStation Developer Team