gcc - debug info: automatic conversion ? - OS2

This is a discussion on gcc - debug info: automatic conversion ? - OS2 ; Hallo, suppose I have a static library in ELF format (.a) where all objects where created with debug info (-g). I now link this lib to a couple of other files compiled with -Zomf -g creating my final target (in ...

  1. gcc - debug info: automatic conversion ?

    Hallo,

    suppose I have a static library in ELF format (.a) where all objects
    where created with debug info (-g). I now link this lib to a couple of
    other files compiled with -Zomf -g creating my final target (in my case:
    an OS/2 dll), the final link step also includes -Zomf.
    Will ALL debug info be converted into IBM format (or whatever it's
    called: HLL ?) ?

    Lars

  2. Re: gcc - debug info: automatic conversion ?

    On 09/20/08 03:33 am, Lars Erdmann wrote:
    > Hallo,
    >
    > suppose I have a static library in ELF format (.a) where all objects
    > where created with debug info (-g). I now link this lib to a couple of
    > other files compiled with -Zomf -g creating my final target (in my case:
    > an OS/2 dll), the final link step also includes -Zomf.
    > Will ALL debug info be converted into IBM format (or whatever it's
    > called: HLL ?) ?
    >
    > Lars

    It should be as long as all libs were compiled with gcc 3.3.5. Any older
    gcc IIRC uses different debug output
    Dave
    Dave

  3. Re: gcc - debug info: automatic conversion ?

    Hi Dave,

    1.) to answer my own question: yes ALL debug info is converted to the IBM
    format
    2.) to answer your assumption: no, even output from older gcc's is properly
    converted into the IBM format. I am pretty sure that the library I am using
    was compiled with gcc 2.8.1 (the gcc that came along with the emx 0.9d
    package) because the main dll making use of it was also compiled using the
    emx package (I could spot imports from emx inside the dll). And I could
    happily do source code debugging on that library (of course it was compiled
    with debugging info and I have the sources for that library). Luckily the
    library itself did not contain ANY call to an RTL or OS/2 API routine (it is
    plain C with a bit of inline assembly), so there was no issue at all, not
    even the issue of mixed RTLs (emx versus libc).

    Lars

    "Dave Yeo" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On 09/20/08 03:33 am, Lars Erdmann wrote:
    >> Hallo,
    >>
    >> suppose I have a static library in ELF format (.a) where all objects
    >> where created with debug info (-g). I now link this lib to a couple of
    >> other files compiled with -Zomf -g creating my final target (in my case:
    >> an OS/2 dll), the final link step also includes -Zomf.
    >> Will ALL debug info be converted into IBM format (or whatever it's
    >> called: HLL ?) ?
    >>
    >> Lars

    > It should be as long as all libs were compiled with gcc 3.3.5. Any older
    > gcc IIRC uses different debug output
    > Dave
    > Dave

+ Reply to Thread