Flash Drive setup. - OS2

This is a discussion on Flash Drive setup. - OS2 ; Hi Folks, After much mucking around with DFSEE I have finally got my 2GB Flash drive useable under eCS 1.2R, however as its currently formatted FAT, its not a very efficient method of storage for small files (such as eCS ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Flash Drive setup.

    Hi Folks,

    After much mucking around with DFSEE I have finally got my 2GB Flash
    drive useable under eCS 1.2R, however as its currently formatted FAT,
    its not a very efficient method of storage for small files (such as
    eCS keys, etc). How do others maximise the use of these devices under
    eCS (OS/2)?

    Cheers..............................pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.

  2. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    Hi Peter

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > After much mucking around with DFSEE I have finally got my 2GB Flash
    > drive useable under eCS 1.2R, however as its currently formatted FAT,
    > its not a very efficient method of storage for small files (such as
    > eCS keys, etc). How do others maximise the use of these devices under
    > eCS (OS/2)?
    >
    > Cheers..............................pk.

    If you do not need to share the drive with other systems use jfs or hpfs.

    If sharing is a must then the other common filesystem is fat32 - you can
    use DFSee to format the drive.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    Hi Peter,

    > > After much mucking around with DFSEE I have finally got my 2GB Flash
    > > drive useable under eCS 1.2R, however as its currently formatted FAT,
    > > its not a very efficient method of storage for small files (such as
    > > eCS keys, etc). How do others maximise the use of these devices under
    > > eCS (OS/2)?

    > If you do not need to share the drive with other systems use jfs or hpfs.

    I can see this turning into a mind game of some sorts, what FS will I
    really need......-) My probem I that until NOW, I have not had a need
    for anything other than FAT or HPFS, so I do not have the experience
    that others have.........;-( I am interested to find out what other
    people find "works for them"...

    FAT is native to most environments, including the PC BIOS, (thinking
    of an emergency boot situation here), so that sounds like the lowest
    common denominator. The only one I am unsure of is one of the Linux's,
    I would guess most of those support FAT (and possibly FAT32) by
    default, but what about the other FS's? Does the OS/2 version of FAT32
    provide for EA's, IE is it "OS/2 safe" to use in this situation? I
    currently have zero FAT32 partitions around here to try and dont know
    their ups and downs...

    HPFS, FAT32, JFS, EXT-?, etc all require a specific driver to be
    loaded before the device is fully readable under whatever OS I will be
    using. Can Flash drives be partitioned and still used that way? If I
    can partition it I could set it up say as 100MB FAT and leave the rest
    as HPFS or JFS, however does this mean the FAT drive would still be
    readable under all OS's ok?

    If I go with anything other than FAT, then I need whatever FS is used
    to be loaded to read it. I was thinking of using it as a "recovery"
    drive, IE minimal stuff that I could use in an emergency. I guess if
    its readble under an eCS CD Boot then I should be fine... At this
    stage I have no need to read it under anything other than OS/2 or eCS,
    but one never knows.

    > If sharing is a must then the other common filesystem is fat32 - you can
    > use DFSee to format the drive.

    Can the eCS install CD read from FAT32?

    If not, then maybe I should stay with somethig I know (HPFS), so I am
    tending to think that HPFS may be the way to go, as I can boot an eCS
    CD as a minimum so I should be right there...

    Long term I am looking at replacing the Floppy drive with a Flash
    device, hence why FAT seemed logical, even the BIOS can handle
    that.... or does reading Flash from a BIOS have any unexpected
    "issues"?

    I was interested to find out how others had handled this
    situation.........;-)

    Thanks..........pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.

  4. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    On 14 Sep 2008 08:45:18 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > FAT is native to most environments, including the PC BIOS

    I don't know what makes you think the BIOS knows anything about any file
    system. It doesn't.

  5. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    Hi Peter

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    >>> After much mucking around with DFSEE I have finally got my 2GB Flash
    >>> drive useable under eCS 1.2R, however as its currently formatted FAT,
    >>> its not a very efficient method of storage for small files (such as
    >>> eCS keys, etc). How do others maximise the use of these devices under
    >>> eCS (OS/2)?

    >> If you do not need to share the drive with other systems use jfs or hpfs.

    > I can see this turning into a mind game of some sorts, what FS will I
    > really need......-) My probem I that until NOW, I have not had a need
    > for anything other than FAT or HPFS, so I do not have the experience
    > that others have.........;-( I am interested to find out what other
    > people find "works for them"...
    >
    > FAT is native to most environments, including the PC BIOS, (thinking
    > of an emergency boot situation here),

    ?

    The filesystem is read from the boot drive, not the BIOS.

    so that sounds like the lowest
    > common denominator. The only one I am unsure of is one of the Linux's,
    > I would guess most of those support FAT (and possibly FAT32) by
    > default, but what about the other FS's? Does the OS/2 version of FAT32
    > provide for EA's, IE is it "OS/2 safe" to use in this situation? I
    > currently have zero FAT32 partitions around here to try and dont know
    > their ups and downs...

    I seem to recall from last time I used a *nix system that fat and fat32
    are catered for.

    The fat32 for os/2 has been steadily improving for years and copes with
    EAs. The package is available in zip and wpi formats

    ftp://www.ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.zip

    ftp://www.ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.wpi

    Read the docs if planning on installing as there is a switch to force
    the driver to load even if no fat32 drives are present.

    > HPFS, FAT32, JFS, EXT-?, etc all require a specific driver to be
    > loaded before the device is fully readable under whatever OS I will be
    > using. Can Flash drives be partitioned and still used that way? If I
    > can partition it I could set it up say as 100MB FAT and leave the rest
    > as HPFS or JFS, however does this mean the FAT drive would still be
    > readable under all OS's ok?
    >
    > If I go with anything other than FAT, then I need whatever FS is used
    > to be loaded to read it. I was thinking of using it as a "recovery"
    > drive, IE minimal stuff that I could use in an emergency. I guess if
    > its readble under an eCS CD Boot then I should be fine... At this
    > stage I have no need to read it under anything other than OS/2 or eCS,
    > but one never knows.
    >
    >> If sharing is a must then the other common filesystem is fat32 - you can
    >> use DFSee to format the drive.

    > Can the eCS install CD read from FAT32?

    No, not currently.

    I have seen some discussion about the fact that eCS should be able to
    read from usb flash drives during the install but if a large flash
    drive(>2Gb) is involved then the filesystem on the drive is often fat32.

    I suspect that at some point in the near (?) future the eCS install CD
    will support fat32.

    > If not, then maybe I should stay with somethig I know (HPFS), so I am
    > tending to think that HPFS may be the way to go, as I can boot an eCS
    > CD as a minimum so I should be right there...
    >
    > Long term I am looking at replacing the Floppy drive with a Flash
    > device, hence why FAT seemed logical, even the BIOS can handle
    > that.... or does reading Flash from a BIOS have any unexpected
    > "issues"?
    >
    > I was interested to find out how others had handled this
    > situation.........;-)
    >
    > Thanks..........pk.

    An alternative to using the install CD as a maintenance boot device:
    BootableCD http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan/bootAble/index.html

    Create your own bootableCD with whatever support/drivers/applications
    you want - including internet/networking and a Desktop.

    If you go for this install the wpi package as that contains the
    configmaker.cmd which is a very good starting point.

    Regards

    Pete

  6. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    > The fat32 for os/2 has been steadily improving for years and copes with
    > EAs. The package is available in zip and wpi formats
    >
    > ftp://www.ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.zip
    >
    > ftp://www.ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.wpi
    >
    > Read the docs if planning on installing as there is a switch to force
    > the driver to load even if no fat32 drives are present.

    I read the INF file and found no information about such a switch. In
    fact,
    the documentation appears to be inconsistent. On the "FAT32.IFS" page
    it says:

    "If no FAT32 partition is found on system startup, the driver will
    not
    load."

    but on the "Removable Media" page it says:

    "If the FAT32 driver is installed, the file system will load
    whether
    one has a FAT32 partition or not. Thus, if a removable FAT32
    drive is plugged in or inserted, the FAT32 media should be found,
    provided the removable drive(s) are supported by the USB drivers
    or whatever other drivers are necessary for the drive(s) to be
    found
    and recognized."

    So which is it? I have no FAT32 partitions on my computer, but I'd
    like
    to be able to plug in a USB device with an SDHC card formatted with
    FAT32 and have OS/2 recognize it. It's not happening even though
    the IFS line has been added to CONFIG.SYS.

  7. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    Hi

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    >> The fat32 for os/2 has been steadily improving for years and copes with
    >> EAs. The package is available in zip and wpi formats
    >>
    >> ftp://www.ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.zip
    >>
    >> ftp://www.ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.wpi
    >>
    >> Read the docs if planning on installing as there is a switch to force
    >> the driver to load even if no fat32 drives are present.

    > I read the INF file and found no information about such a switch. In
    > fact,
    > the documentation appears to be inconsistent. On the "FAT32.IFS" page
    > it says:
    >
    > "If no FAT32 partition is found on system startup, the driver will
    > not
    > load."
    >
    > but on the "Removable Media" page it says:
    >
    > "If the FAT32 driver is installed, the file system will load
    > whether
    > one has a FAT32 partition or not. Thus, if a removable FAT32
    > drive is plugged in or inserted, the FAT32 media should be found,
    > provided the removable drive(s) are supported by the USB drivers
    > or whatever other drivers are necessary for the drive(s) to be
    > found
    > and recognized."
    >
    > So which is it? I have no FAT32 partitions on my computer, but I'd
    > like
    > to be able to plug in a USB device with an SDHC card formatted with
    > FAT32 and have OS/2 recognize it. It's not happening even though
    > the IFS line has been added to CONFIG.SYS.

    I suggest an email to the fat32 developers pointing out the above
    inconsistency in the INF file.

    Presuming you are using the fat32_09121 package the switch is listed as
    a cachef32 option:-

    /F Forces CACHEF32.EXE to be loaded even if no FAT32 partition is found
    on startup. Added starting with version 0.99.

    I must admit tha I have no idea if it works as I do have fat32 volumes
    found at boot.

    Regards

    Pete

  8. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    >>> The fat32 for os/2 has been steadily improving for years and copes with
    >>> EAs. The package is available in zip and wpi formats
    >>>
    >>> ftp://www.ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.zip
    >>>
    >>> ftp://www.ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.wpi
    >>>
    >>> Read the docs if planning on installing as there is a switch to force
    >>> the driver to load even if no fat32 drives are present.

    >> I read the INF file and found no information about such a switch. In
    >> fact,
    >> the documentation appears to be inconsistent. On the "FAT32.IFS" page
    >> it says:
    >>
    >> "If no FAT32 partition is found on system startup, the driver will
    >> not
    >> load."
    >>
    >> but on the "Removable Media" page it says:
    >>
    >> "If the FAT32 driver is installed, the file system will load
    >> whether
    >> one has a FAT32 partition or not. Thus, if a removable FAT32
    >> drive is plugged in or inserted, the FAT32 media should be found,
    >> provided the removable drive(s) are supported by the USB drivers
    >> or whatever other drivers are necessary for the drive(s) to be
    >> found
    >> and recognized."
    >>
    >> So which is it? I have no FAT32 partitions on my computer, but I'd
    >> like
    >> to be able to plug in a USB device with an SDHC card formatted with
    >> FAT32 and have OS/2 recognize it. It's not happening even though
    >> the IFS line has been added to CONFIG.SYS.
    >>

    > I suggest an email to the fat32 developers pointing out the above
    > inconsistency in the INF file.
    >

    > Presuming you are using the fat32_09121 package the switch is listed as
    > a cachef32 option:-
    >
    > /F Forces CACHEF32.EXE to be loaded even if no FAT32 partition is found
    > on startup. Added starting with version 0.99.
    >

    > I must admit tha I have no idea if it works as I do have fat32 volumes
    > found at boot.
    >

    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    That's the answer.

    My main desktop machine is all JFS. I can plug in my SD card reader with the 4GB card
    from my camera and the system can read and write to the card. It is formatted FAT32.
    Here are the relevant lines from config sys:

    IFS=D:\ECS\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /H /Q
    CALL=D:\ECS\BIN\CACHEF32.EXE /S /F

    I am using the version of FAT32 distributed with eCS2.0RC5.

  9. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    >>> The fat32 for os/2 has been steadily improving for years and copes with
    >>> EAs. The package is available in zip and wpi formats
    >>>
    >>> ftp://www.ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.zip
    >>>
    >>> ftp://www.ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.wpi
    >>>
    >>> Read the docs if planning on installing as there is a switch to force
    >>> the driver to load even if no fat32 drives are present.

    >> I read the INF file and found no information about such a switch. In fact,
    >> the documentation appears to be inconsistent. On the "FAT32.IFS" page
    >> it says:
    >>
    >> "If no FAT32 partition is found on system startup, the driver will not
    >> load."
    >>
    >> but on the "Removable Media" page it says:
    >>
    >> "If the FAT32 driver is installed, the file system will load whether
    >> one has a FAT32 partition or not. Thus, if a removable FAT32
    >> drive is plugged in or inserted, the FAT32 media should be found,
    >> provided the removable drive(s) are supported by the USB drivers
    >> or whatever other drivers are necessary for the drive(s) to be found
    >> and recognized."
    >>
    >> So which is it? I have no FAT32 partitions on my computer, but I'd like
    >> to be able to plug in a USB device with an SDHC card formatted with
    >> FAT32 and have OS/2 recognize it. It's not happening even though
    >> the IFS line has been added to CONFIG.SYS.

    > I suggest an email to the fat32 developers pointing out the above
    > inconsistency in the INF file.

    If I can find an email address to use, I'll consider it.

    > Presuming you are using the fat32_09121 package the switch is listed as
    > a cachef32 option:-
    >
    > /F Forces CACHEF32.EXE to be loaded even if no FAT32 partition is found
    > on startup. Added starting with version 0.99.

    I was looking at the FAT32.IFS options, not the CACHEF32.EXE options.
    And I was also looking at the 0.9.11 package, because that appears
    to be the latest listed on the http://fat32.netlabs.org/en/site/downloads.xml
    web page. I wonder why 0.9.12. and 0.9.12.1 aren't listed? Thanks to
    your link, I've downloaded the latter and will try it in a couple
    minutes,
    after a reboot.

  10. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    I wrote:

    > Thanks to your link, I've downloaded the latter and will try it in a couple
    > minutes, after a reboot.

    Well, as the various messages related to the processing of CONFIG.SYS
    scrolled by, I did see reference to FAT32, and I do see CACHEF32.EXE
    listed as one of the running processes. However, I still get a
    SYS0026
    when I connect a USB device with an SDHC card formatted with FAT32.
    Unable to access the device. Meanwhile, Windows has no trouble
    seeing the files. And OS/2 has no trouble seeing the files on an SD
    card formatted with FAT16 when I swap that card for the SDHC card in
    the same USB device. So it's not the device, but rather the SDHC card
    and the way it's formatted, that is causing the problem. Any
    suggestions?

  11. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    tholen@antispam.ham
    ], who wrote in article :
    > I wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks to your link, I've downloaded the latter and will try it in a couple
    > > minutes, after a reboot.

    > Well, as the various messages related to the processing of CONFIG.SYS
    > scrolled by, I did see reference to FAT32, and I do see CACHEF32.EXE
    > listed as one of the running processes. However, I still get a
    > SYS0026

    From who?

    > when I connect a USB device with an SDHC card formatted with FAT32.
    > Unable to access the device. Meanwhile, Windows has no trouble
    > seeing the files. And OS/2 has no trouble seeing the files on an SD
    > card formatted with FAT16 when I swap that card for the SDHC card in
    > the same USB device. So it's not the device, but rather the SDHC card
    > and the way it's formatted, that is causing the problem. Any
    > suggestions?

    Why not do the obvious, and check

    fdisk /query

    (assuming you are LVM-less, as any sane person should be)...

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  12. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:22:14 UTC, "tholen@antispam.ham"
    wrote:

    > > The fat32 for os/2 has been steadily improving for years and copes with
    > > EAs. The package is available in zip and wpi formats
    > >
    > > ftp://www.ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.zip
    > >
    > > ftp://www.ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.wpi
    > >
    > > Read the docs if planning on installing as there is a switch to force
    > > the driver to load even if no fat32 drives are present.

    > I read the INF file and found no information about such a switch. In
    > fact,
    > the documentation appears to be inconsistent. On the "FAT32.IFS" page
    > it says:
    >
    > "If no FAT32 partition is found on system startup, the driver will
    > not
    > load."
    >
    > but on the "Removable Media" page it says:
    >
    > "If the FAT32 driver is installed, the file system will load
    > whether
    > one has a FAT32 partition or not. Thus, if a removable FAT32
    > drive is plugged in or inserted, the FAT32 media should be found,
    > provided the removable drive(s) are supported by the USB drivers
    > or whatever other drivers are necessary for the drive(s) to be
    > found
    > and recognized."
    >
    > So which is it? I have no FAT32 partitions on my computer, but I'd
    > like
    > to be able to plug in a USB device with an SDHC card formatted with
    > FAT32 and have OS/2 recognize it. It's not happening even though
    > the IFS line has been added to CONFIG.SYS.

    tholen,

    I have the following two lines in my config.sys:

    IFS=E:\OS2\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /Q
    CALL=E:\OS2\CACHEF32.EXE /S

    (E being the boot drive) and I can plug in any fat32 formatted usbmsd
    drive (hd in external box, stick or flash card) and read it without
    problems.
    There are no fat32 partitions on the computer, hpfs or jfs only.

    regards

    ivan

    --
    Free Catalonia

  13. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 05:51:39 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > (assuming you are LVM-less, as any sane person should be)...

    Fool. Who would want the hideous restrictions of FDISK these days when you
    can have the flexibilty of LVM?
    Have you ever thought it's just you that's the problem?

  14. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    >> Well, as the various messages related to the processing of CONFIG.SYS
    >> scrolled by, I did see reference to FAT32, and I do see CACHEF32.EXE
    >> listed as one of the running processes. *However, I still get a
    >> SYS0026

    > From who?

    More like from what. The DIR command in this case.

    >> when I connect a USB device with an SDHC card formatted with FAT32.
    >> Unable to access the device. *Meanwhile, Windows has no trouble
    >> seeing the files. *And OS/2 has no trouble seeing the files on an SD
    >> card formatted with FAT16 when I swap that card for the SDHC card in
    >> the same USB device. *So it's not the device, but rather the SDHC card
    >> and the way it's formatted, that is causing the problem. *Any
    >> suggestions?

    > Why not do the obvious, and check
    >
    > * *fdisk /query
    >
    > (assuming you are LVM-less, as any sane person should be)...
    >
    > Hope this helps,

    Suggesting that I'm insane is hardly helpful. Is it even possible to
    install
    MCP2 without LVM?

  15. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    > I have the following two lines in my config.sys:
    >
    > IFS=E:\OS2\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /Q

    The installation instructions say that FAT32.IFS should go in the
    \OS2 directory, so that's where I have it on my system. There is
    no indication that \OS2\BOOT is necessary, unlike for some
    device drivers. I haven't used any options, like /CACHE or /Q,
    given that the defaults are satisfactory.

    > CALL=E:\OS2\CACHEF32.EXE /S

    Interesting that you don't have /F, which is supposedly the option
    needed to have it load the driver even when no FAT32 partitions
    are detected.

    > (E being the boot drive) and I can plug in any fat32 formatted usbmsd
    > drive (hd in external box, stick or flash card) and read it without
    > problems.

    I decided to try a different USB device, one that has both internal
    memory formatted with FAT32 and a memory stick also formatted
    with FAT32. OS/2 did attach two drives, but a DIR command
    yielded SYS0026 for one of them (cannot be accessed) and SYS0027
    (cannot find the sector requested) for the other one.

    > There are no fat32 partitions on the computer, hpfs or jfs only.

    The same for my system. The operating system is on an HPFS
    partition, and just about everything else is JFS. I do have some
    drives on some UNIX boxes mounted via NFS. I wonder if that
    could somehow be interfering with FAT32?

  16. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    Hi tholen

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    >>> Well, as the various messages related to the processing of CONFIG.SYS
    >>> scrolled by, I did see reference to FAT32, and I do see CACHEF32.EXE
    >>> listed as one of the running processes. However, I still get a
    >>> SYS0026

    >> From who?

    > More like from what. The DIR command in this case.
    >
    >>> when I connect a USB device with an SDHC card formatted with FAT32.
    >>> Unable to access the device. Meanwhile, Windows has no trouble
    >>> seeing the files. And OS/2 has no trouble seeing the files on an SD
    >>> card formatted with FAT16 when I swap that card for the SDHC card in
    >>> the same USB device. So it's not the device, but rather the SDHC card
    >>> and the way it's formatted, that is causing the problem. Any
    >>> suggestions?

    >> Why not do the obvious, and check
    >>
    >> fdisk /query
    >>
    >> (assuming you are LVM-less, as any sane person should be)...
    >>
    >> Hope this helps,

    > Suggesting that I'm insane is hardly helpful. Is it even possible to
    > install
    > MCP2 without LVM?

    Possibly... however, I do not think that the comment from Paul regarding
    sanity was aimed at yourself.

    As you do seem to be using lvm why not attach a usb fat32 drive and see
    what lvm reports.

    My experience is that some, but not all, fat32 formatted flash drives
    seem to need a volume drive letter sorted by lvm before they can be
    used. This FAQ (included in the USBcfg package on hobbes) may be of
    interest/help
    http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...feature_2.html

    Regards

    Pete

  17. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > I wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks to your link, I've downloaded the latter and will try it in a couple
    >> minutes, after a reboot.

    > Well, as the various messages related to the processing of CONFIG.SYS
    > scrolled by, I did see reference to FAT32, and I do see CACHEF32.EXE
    > listed as one of the running processes. However, I still get a
    > SYS0026
    > when I connect a USB device with an SDHC card formatted with FAT32.
    > Unable to access the device. Meanwhile, Windows has no trouble
    > seeing the files. And OS/2 has no trouble seeing the files on an SD
    > card formatted with FAT16 when I swap that card for the SDHC card in
    > the same USB device. So it's not the device, but rather the SDHC card
    > and the way it's formatted, that is causing the problem. Any
    > suggestions?

    The first time you access such a device you need to use DFSee or LVM to add lvm
    information and assign the drive letter on which the device is mounted. After
    exiting from DFSee or LVM run chkdsk x: /f, where x is the assigned drive letter.
    Thereafter as long as the system is able to assign the same drive letter when you
    insert the device all is well. If you get a different drive letter, use DFSee or LVM
    to change to the new drive letter and run chkdsk.

    It would be nice if "they" made this more automatic, but until then that's what you
    have to do.

  18. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:42:41 +0100, Peter Brown wrote:

    > Possibly... however, I do not think that the comment from Paul regarding
    > sanity was aimed at yourself.

    Tholen is kill-filed here, but for the avoidance of any doubt, it is
    Ilyaz who I was calling insane.

  19. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    Peter Brown wrote:

    >>> Why not do the obvious, and check

    >>> * * fdisk /query
    >>>
    >>> (assuming you are LVM-less, as any sane person should be)...
    >>>
    >>> Hope this helps,

    >> Suggesting that I'm insane is hardly helpful. *Is it even possible to install
    >> MCP2 without LVM?

    > Possibly... however, I do not think that the comment from Paul regarding
    > sanity was aimed at yourself.

    I don't recall Paul making any comment regarding sanity. However,
    Ilya
    did indicate that any sane person should be LVM-less, and then went on
    to say that he hoped his remarks helped.

    > As you do seem to be using lvm why not attach a usb fat32 drive and see
    > what lvm reports.

    I don't have a USB FAT32 "drive". All my USB "drives" are either JFS
    or
    NTFS. I do have some USB FAT32 memory keys. Upon insertion, the
    removable device monitor tells me that the device is attached, and a
    drive
    letter is assigned. A removable drive icon for that drive appears in
    the
    Drives folder. However, LVM doesn't show that drive letter in the
    Logical
    View, and in the Physical View that drive's space is listed as free
    space.

    > My experience is that some, but not all, fat32 formatted flash drives
    > seem to need a volume drive letter sorted by lvm before they can be
    > used. This FAQ (included in the USBcfg package on hobbes) may be of
    > interest/helphttp://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0606H/feature_2.html

    I'll take a closer look at it, but a quick glance suggests that it is
    mainly
    concerned with USB devices, and I'm not having any trouble with the
    FAT16
    USB devices. It's the FAT32 USB devices that are inaccessible.

  20. Re: Flash Drive setup.

    James J. Weinkam wrote:

    >> Well, as the various messages related to the processing of CONFIG.SYS
    >> scrolled by, I did see reference to FAT32, and I do see CACHEF32.EXE
    >> listed as one of the running processes. *However, I still get a SYS0026
    >> when I connect a USB device with an SDHC card formatted with FAT32.
    >> Unable to access the device. *Meanwhile, Windows has no trouble
    >> seeing the files. *And OS/2 has no trouble seeing the files on an SD
    >> card formatted with FAT16 when I swap that card for the SDHC card in
    >> the same USB device. *So it's not the device, but rather the SDHC card
    >> and the way it's formatted, that is causing the problem. *Any
    >> suggestions?

    > The first time you access such a device you need to use DFSee or LVM to add lvm
    > information and assign the drive letter on which the device is mounted.

    I don't understand. The removable device monitor tells me "The device
    O: has
    been attached !" and a drive O: shows up in the Drives folder, so it
    appears that
    the drive letter has already been assigned. However, LVM warns me
    that the
    partition table is corrupt, and LVM's Logical View doesn't show the
    drive letter.
    LVM's Physical View shows the drive, but the space is listed as Free
    Space.
    What LVM information has to be added? I tried to create a volume
    using the
    LVMGUI utility, but the error message is "This partition could not be
    created
    from free space".

    >*After
    > exiting from DFSee or LVM run chkdsk x: /f, where x is the assigned driveletter.
    > Thereafter as long as the system is able to assign the same drive letter when you
    > insert the device all is well. If you get a different drive letter, use DFSee or LVM
    > to change to the new drive letter and run chkdsk.

    CHKDSK also returns SYS0026, just like the DIR command, probably
    because
    the "LVM information" you alluded to hasn't been added.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast