problem with Hobbes - OS2

This is a discussion on problem with Hobbes - OS2 ; Ever since they've updated the server I can't download files. Whenever I click on them I am prompted for a user name and password. Has it become subscription only? --...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. problem with Hobbes

    --

  2. Re: problem with Hobbes

    Mark Klebanoff wrote:
    > Ever since they've updated the server I can't download files.
    > Whenever I click on them I am prompted for a user name and password.

    No. You're trying to download from the ftp server and that requires an
    id and password (which used be 'anonymous' and 'password'). The http
    downloads don't require an id or password. Just click on the file name
    you want and it will download as before.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  3. Re: problem with Hobbes

    In , on 09/06/2008
    at 07:48 AM, "Mark Klebanoff" said:

    >Ever since they've updated the server I can't download files. Whenever
    >I click on them I am prompted for a user name and password. Has it
    >become subscription only?

    No. The prompt, along with several other behavioral changes, is a side
    effect of the server upgrade. It only affects FTP downloads. HTTP
    downloads do not prompt for a password. The FTP userid is anonymous.

    I recommend that those that would like to see the previous behaviour
    return e-mail and politely request the old behavior. The mailto link is
    at the bottom of the web page.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00.11.16 BETA #10183

  4. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On 09/06/08 08:39 am, Steven Levine wrote:

    > No. The prompt, along with several other behavioral changes, is a side
    > effect of the server upgrade. It only affects FTP downloads. HTTP
    > downloads do not prompt for a password. The FTP userid is anonymous.

    Not true, the same files will not download via FTP or HTTP, such as:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/incoming/ccode2.txt

    However, files from a few days ago work:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/...2pm151_bin.txt

    It appears that someone has manually done a 'chmod a+r' on the files,
    without fixing the umask for new uploads.

    > I recommend that those that would like to see the previous behaviour
    > return e-mail and politely request the old behavior. The mailto link is
    > at the bottom of the web page.

    I sent one right after the switch, but got no response (the second issue
    I reported was their busted "Return to homepage" link).

  5. Re: problem with Hobbes

    In <48c2a527$1$fgrir53$mr2ice@news.west.earthlink.net>, on 09/06/2008
    at 08:39 AM, Steven Levine said:

    >In , on 09/06/2008
    > at 07:48 AM, "Mark Klebanoff" said:

    >>Ever since they've updated the server I can't download files. Whenever
    >>I click on them I am prompted for a user name and password. Has it
    >>become subscription only?

    >No. The prompt, along with several other behavioral changes, is a side
    >effect of the server upgrade. It only affects FTP downloads. HTTP
    >downloads do not prompt for a password. The FTP userid is anonymous.

    I don't understand what you are saying -- I just went there using the IBM
    browser. It wants a password to download.

    >I recommend that those that would like to see the previous behaviour
    >return e-mail and politely request the old behavior. The mailto link is
    >at the bottom of the web page.

    >Steven

  6. Re: problem with Hobbes

    In , on 09/07/2008
    at 05:08 AM, TruthTeller@nospam.net said:

    >I don't understand what you are saying -- I just went there using the IBM
    >browser. It wants a password to download.

    If you read the dialog carefully, you will see that it wants both a user
    name and a password. The user name, as I said, is anonymous. The
    password is your email address. This has been the defacto standard for
    anonymous FTP logins for close to forever.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00.11.16 BETA #10183

  7. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 23:38:03 -0700, Steven Levine
    wrote:

    >>I don't understand what you are saying -- I just went there using the IBM
    >>browser. It wants a password to download.

    > If you read the dialog carefully, you will see that it wants both a user
    > name and a password. The user name, as I said, is anonymous. The
    > password is your email address. This has been the defacto standard for
    > anonymous FTP logins for close to forever.

    The password can be anything you like, including a null string.
    If the server is configured correctly, to prompt for these things at
    connection time, then the browser handles this automatically.
    The server obviously isn't configured corrrectly, because you don't get
    a prompt until you attempt to get a directory listing or download a file.
    This confuses the browser and causes it to put up the user/pw dialog.

    What Steve W said about files in /incoming seems to be true. Recently
    uploaded stuff has 0600 attributes whereas stuff that's been there a
    couple of days has 0644. And why are there all those old .TXT files in
    there anyway?

    They've busted the file descriptions thing in /incoming as well. And I
    don't like the font. Why does it have to be different to what was there
    before? Combine that with the weird colour scheme and I struggle to read
    it.

    Had a look at /new ? You get a load of this at the top:

    Warning: filetype() [function.filetype]: Lstat failed for //dfsee912.zip in
    /home/archiver/private/includes/files.php on line 134

    and God only knows what the rest of the page is. It certainly isn't the
    contents of /new .

    All in all, it's a complete bloody shambles of an 'upgrade'. It seems nobody
    has even done a basic functionality test. Should I send a copy of this to
    archiver@ ?

  8. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On 07.09.08 11:59, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > All in all, it's a complete bloody shambles of an 'upgrade'. It seems nobody
    > has even done a basic functionality test. Should I send a copy of this to
    > archiver@ ?

    I guess it's just as much our fault as theirs. After all the new server
    was up for testing ever since July until they finally switched over. As
    usual with the OS/2 community today, not enough people have tested...
    Peter.

  9. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On 09/07/08 04:36 am, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
    > On 07.09.08 11:59, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    >> All in all, it's a complete bloody shambles of an 'upgrade'. It seems
    >> nobody
    >> has even done a basic functionality test. Should I send a copy of this to
    >> archiver@ ?

    > I guess it's just as much our fault as theirs. After all the new server
    > was up for testing ever since July until they finally switched over. As
    > usual with the OS/2 community today, not enough people have tested...
    > Peter.

    I went there a few times and tested things. Seemed to be fine. Only
    thing was it was frozen at the state that they copied things over.
    Dave

  10. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On 09/07/08 02:59 am, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    [...]
    > Had a look at /new ? You get a load of this at the top:
    >
    > Warning: filetype() [function.filetype]: Lstat failed for //dfsee912.zip in
    > /home/archiver/private/includes/files.php on line 134
    >
    > and God only knows what the rest of the page is. It certainly isn't the
    > contents of /new .

    Actually the files are correct, it just shows them in their permanent
    location including the directory.

    > All in all, it's a complete bloody shambles of an 'upgrade'. It seems nobody
    > has even done a basic functionality test. Should I send a copy of this to
    > archiver@ ?

    Wouldn't hurt to send a polite message
    Dave

  11. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 16:41:41 GMT, Dave Yeo wrote:

    > Wouldn't hurt to send a polite message

    I know, but I do get a bit fed up testing the very basic things that
    somebody else should have tested already. If they can't be bothered, why
    should I be?
    I wasted three days at work this week and eventually ended up having to test
    something somebody else should've done in the first place and then fix all
    the problems I found. Why should I have to do their job as well as mine?

  12. Re: problem with Hobbes

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 16:41:41 GMT, Dave Yeo wrote:
    >
    >> Wouldn't hurt to send a polite message

    > I know, but I do get a bit fed up testing the very basic things that
    > somebody else should have tested already. If they can't be bothered, why
    > should I be?
    > I wasted three days at work this week and eventually ended up having to test
    > something somebody else should've done in the first place and then fix all
    > the problems I found. Why should I have to do their job as well as mine?

    I've already sent an email to them about the errors.

  13. Re: problem with Hobbes

    In , on 09/07/2008
    at 09:59 AM, Paul Ratcliffe said:

    >On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 23:38:03 -0700, Steven Levine
    > wrote:

    >>>I don't understand what you are saying -- I just went there using the IBM
    >>>browser. It wants a password to download.

    >> If you read the dialog carefully, you will see that it wants both a user
    >> name and a password. The user name, as I said, is anonymous. The
    >> password is your email address. This has been the defacto standard for
    >> anonymous FTP logins for close to forever.

    >The password can be anything you like, including a null string. If the

    As I have tried to say; there is no DIALOG for any passowrd. You fellows
    are talking about something that does not come up when I go there with the
    IBM browser.

    Trying to download only delivers: "You don't have permission to access
    /download/pub/incoming/libvorbis-1.2.0.zip on this server."

    >server is configured correctly, to prompt for these things at connection
    >time, then the browser handles this automatically. The server obviously
    >isn't configured corrrectly, because you don't get a prompt until you
    >attempt to get a directory listing or download a file. This confuses the
    >browser and causes it to put up the user/pw dialog.

    >What Steve W said about files in /incoming seems to be true. Recently
    >uploaded stuff has 0600 attributes whereas stuff that's been there a
    >couple of days has 0644. And why are there all those old .TXT files in
    >there anyway?

    >They've busted the file descriptions thing in /incoming as well. And I
    >don't like the font. Why does it have to be different to what was there
    >before? Combine that with the weird colour scheme and I struggle to read
    >it.

    >Had a look at /new ? You get a load of this at the top:

    >Warning: filetype() [function.filetype]: Lstat failed for //dfsee912.zip
    >in /home/archiver/private/includes/files.php on line 134

    >and God only knows what the rest of the page is. It certainly isn't the
    >contents of /new .

    >All in all, it's a complete bloody shambles of an 'upgrade'. It seems
    >nobody has even done a basic functionality test. Should I send a copy of
    >this to archiver@ ?

  14. Re: problem with Hobbes

    In <48c37820$1$fgrir53$mr2ice@news.west.earthlink.net>, on 09/06/2008
    at 11:38 PM, Steven Levine said:

    >In , on 09/07/2008
    > at 05:08 AM, TruthTeller@nospam.net said:

    >>I don't understand what you are saying -- I just went there using the IBM
    >>browser. It wants a password to download.

    >If you read the dialog carefully, you will see that it wants both a user
    >name and a password. The user name, as I said, is anonymous. The
    >password is your email address. This has been the defacto standard for
    >anonymous FTP logins for close to forever.

    I did not/do not see any dialog. That is why I asked what you folks are
    talking about.

    >Steven

  15. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:52:00 UTC, TruthTeller@nospam.net wrote:

    > As I have tried to say; there is no DIALOG for any passowrd. You fellows
    > are talking about something that does not come up when I go there with the
    > IBM browser.
    >
    > Trying to download only delivers: "You don't have permission to access
    > /download/pub/incoming/libvorbis-1.2.0.zip on this server."

    That seems to be a different error, actually, and it only affects some
    files.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  16. Re: problem with Hobbes

    Alex Taylor schrieb:
    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:52:00 UTC, TruthTeller@nospam.net wrote:
    >
    >> As I have tried to say; there is no DIALOG for any passowrd. You fellows
    >> are talking about something that does not come up when I go there with the
    >> IBM browser.
    >>
    >> Trying to download only delivers: "You don't have permission to access
    >> /download/pub/incoming/libvorbis-1.2.0.zip on this server."

    > That seems to be a different error, actually, and it only affects some
    > files.

    Seems you can not download from incoming. I'v successfully downloaded another
    file from pub/os2/util/file/ and it worked. Both via http and ftp. With ftp you
    have to log in - anonymous with any password will be ok

  17. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On 09/09/08 12:33 pm, Andi B. wrote:
    > Alex Taylor schrieb:
    >> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:52:00 UTC, TruthTeller@nospam.net wrote:
    >>
    >>> As I have tried to say; there is no DIALOG for any passowrd. You fellows
    >>> are talking about something that does not come up when I go there
    >>> with the
    >>> IBM browser.
    >>> Trying to download only delivers: "You don't have permission to access
    >>> /download/pub/incoming/libvorbis-1.2.0.zip on this server."

    >> That seems to be a different error, actually, and it only affects some
    >> files.
    >>

    > Seems you can not download from incoming. I'v successfully downloaded
    > another file from pub/os2/util/file/ and it worked. Both via http and
    > ftp. With ftp you have to log in - anonymous with any password will be ok

    Something changed about Sept 04, the files in incoming before the 4th
    are readable by everyone. After the 4th they are only readable by root.
    Dave

  18. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On 09/09/08 04:53 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:

    > Something changed about Sept 04, the files in incoming before the 4th
    > are readable by everyone. After the 4th they are only readable by root.

    As I've already written, someone ran chmod on those files; they were
    *not* accessible when they were first uploaded. As someone has already
    written, if we have to wait for the archiver to manually process the
    files, that greatly decreases the utility of Hobbes (and it's why the
    Walnut Creek mirror died several years ago).

  19. Re: problem with Hobbes

    the polite note I sent to the webmaster this afternoon was forwarded
    to archiver[at]hobbes.nmsu.edu, who responded very quickly indeed. I
    described the problems and pointed him to this discussion. here is
    his response in part:

    "Okay. I see that we were talking about different problems. Now we are
    getting somewhere!

    "Apparently we have a problem with our FTP uploads where *some*
    uploads end up with permissions that are too tight to be downloaded
    from the web server. I have fixed those files for now, so that link
    you send me is now working. It is not related to your browser but to
    the permissions of the file itself. I will work on setting up the FTP
    server to set default permissions of uploaded files properly."

    then

    "I encourage people to submit their complaints [...] directly. We may
    not have the resources to test and scrutinize every aspect of hobbes,
    so we count on people to alert us when problems do arise."

    so I guess any problems, e-mail him at the address above.

    -rafe

  20. Re: problem with Hobbes

    In <4279abea-9350-4efa-8d51-6022a8734fab@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, on
    09/10/2008
    at 12:54 PM, rafe said:

    >the polite note I sent to the webmaster this afternoon was forwarded to
    >archiver[at]hobbes.nmsu.edu, who responded very quickly indeed. I
    >described the problems and pointed him to this discussion. here is his
    >response in part:

    >"Okay. I see that we were talking about different problems. Now we are
    >getting somewhere!

    >"Apparently we have a problem with our FTP uploads where *some* uploads
    >end up with permissions that are too tight to be downloaded from the web
    >server. I have fixed those files for now, so that link you send me is now
    >working. It is not related to your browser but to the permissions of the
    >file itself. I will work on setting up the FTP server to set default
    >permissions of uploaded files properly."

    >then

    >"I encourage people to submit their complaints [...] directly. We may
    >not have the resources to test and scrutinize every aspect of hobbes, so
    >we count on people to alert us when problems do arise."

    >so I guess any problems, e-mail him at the address above.

    Any idea when things will be corrected? I tried accessing hobbes via
    NetDrive and while I was able to browse directories any downloads did not
    work. In some cases the download would stall and I had to break out of
    FC/2, which I was using to browse the site via NetDrive.

    -- Dave
    dhdurgeeverizonnet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast