problem with Hobbes - OS2

This is a discussion on problem with Hobbes - OS2 ; On 09/10/08 12:54 pm, rafe wrote: > "I encourage people to submit their complaints [...] directly. We may > not have the resources to test and scrutinize every aspect of hobbes, > so we count on people to alert us ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On 09/10/08 12:54 pm, rafe wrote:

    > "I encourage people to submit their complaints [...] directly. We may
    > not have the resources to test and scrutinize every aspect of hobbes,
    > so we count on people to alert us when problems do arise."
    >
    > so I guess any problems, e-mail him at the address above.

    That's all perfectly acceptable, except that it seems emails from many
    of us either get ignored or don't get received at all.

  2. Re: problem with Hobbes

    Steve Wendt wrote on 07.09.08 00:43 :
    > On 09/06/08 08:39 am, Steven Levine wrote:
    >
    >> No. The prompt, along with several other behavioral changes, is a side
    >> effect of the server upgrade. It only affects FTP downloads. HTTP
    >> downloads do not prompt for a password. The FTP userid is anonymous.

    > Not true, the same files will not download via FTP or HTTP, such as:
    > http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/incoming/ccode2.txt
    >
    > However, files from a few days ago work:
    > http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/...2pm151_bin.txt
    >
    > It appears that someone has manually done a 'chmod a+r' on the files,
    > without fixing the umask for new uploads.

    [...]

    If you're talking just about "/pub/incoming", then this behaviour is
    intentional. Files in "/pub/incoming" are not downloadable until they are
    about a week old. This is done, to prevent private date exchange via this
    space which was a big problem when it was still open.

    --
    Bye/2
    Meinolf

  3. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On 09/10/08 10:44 pm, Meinolf Sondermann wrote:

    >> It appears that someone has manually done a 'chmod a+r' on the files,
    >> without fixing the umask for new uploads.

    > If you're talking just about "/pub/incoming", then this behaviour is
    > intentional. Files in "/pub/incoming" are not downloadable until they
    > are about a week old. This is done, to prevent private date exchange via
    > this space which was a big problem when it was still open.

    If that is now the official policy, then that is unfortunate (although
    understandable).

  4. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 05:44:25 UTC Meinolf Sondermann
    wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    > If you're talking just about "/pub/incoming", then this behaviour is
    > intentional. Files in "/pub/incoming" are not downloadable until they are
    > about a week old. This is done, to prevent private date exchange via this
    > space which was a big problem when it was still open.

    I never came across the week delay for pub/incoming. The download
    error since switching the server at the start of september is gone.
    Just tried exiftool742.wpi with filedate from today.

    CU/2
    --
    Frank Beythien fBeythien AT gmx.de

  5. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:13:41 UTC, "Frank Beythien" wrote:

    > Just tried exiftool742.wpi with filedate from today.

    However, the server seems to assign a "text" mime type
    to *.WPI files which causes at least my browser to show
    the content of the file instead of downloading it.

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de

  6. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 05:52:38 UTC "Ruediger Ihle"
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:13:41 UTC, "Frank Beythien" wrote:
    >
    > > Just tried exiftool742.wpi with filedate from today.

    > However, the server seems to assign a "text" mime type
    > to *.WPI files which causes at least my browser to show
    > the content of the file instead of downloading it.

    Yes, you are right, I didn't notice as I used my EmTec ftp client.

    CU/2
    --
    Frank Beythien fBeythien AT gmx.de

  7. Re: problem with Hobbes

    In , on 09/13/2008
    at 05:52 AM, "Ruediger Ihle" said:

    Hi,

    >However, the server seems to assign a "text" mime type
    >to *.WPI files which causes at least my browser to show
    >the content of the file instead of downloading it.

    This fix for this is to add

    AddType application/warpin .wpi

    to httpd.conf. I posted this information to the Hobbes archiver last
    week, so they may get this corrected eventually.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00.11.17 BETA #10183

  8. Re: problem with Hobbes

    As I noted in an earlier post I use NetDrive to access Hobbes. One of the
    problems I see with accessing Hobbes this way seems to be true in the
    /pub/new directory in particular. All of the files in the new
    subdirectory show a size of 0 bytes and can't be downloaded. I was used
    to going to this directory immediately after the /incoming when I am
    trying to find new OS/2 software.

    Is anyone else seeing this problem? Is there something special about the
    /new directory that NetDrive is misinterpreting?

    -- Dave
    dhdurgeeverizonnet

  9. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:12:53 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    > As I noted in an earlier post I use NetDrive to access Hobbes. One of the
    > problems I see with accessing Hobbes this way seems to be true in the
    > /pub/new directory in particular. All of the files in the new
    > subdirectory show a size of 0 bytes and can't be downloaded. I was used
    > to going to this directory immediately after the /incoming when I am
    > trying to find new OS/2 software.
    >
    > Is anyone else seeing this problem? Is there something special about the
    > /new directory that NetDrive is misinterpreting?

    Same here. It looks like they use symlinks in NEW, to just point
    to where the file is archived; but they don't really work. I tried
    ftp from cmdline, and that can't get them either.
    Better tell archiver.

    --
    Allan.

    It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
    than to open it, and remove all doubt.

  10. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:26:46 UTC, Steven Levine
    wrote:

    > >However, the server seems to assign a "text" mime type
    > >to *.WPI files which causes at least my browser to show
    > >the content of the file instead of downloading it.

    > This fix for this is to add
    >
    > AddType application/warpin .wpi
    >
    > to httpd.conf. I posted this information to the Hobbes archiver last
    > week, so they may get this corrected eventually.

    It's still broken in this fashion today. One workaround (for those who
    don't know it) is RMB and "Save target as ...".

  11. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:48:30 UTC, "Al Savage" wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:26:46 UTC, Steven Levine
    > wrote:
    >
    > > >However, the server seems to assign a "text" mime type
    > > >to *.WPI files which causes at least my browser to show
    > > >the content of the file instead of downloading it.

    > > This fix for this is to add
    > >
    > > AddType application/warpin .wpi
    > >
    > > to httpd.conf. I posted this information to the Hobbes archiver last
    > > week, so they may get this corrected eventually.

    > It's still broken in this fashion today. One workaround (for those who
    > don't know it) is RMB and "Save target as ...".

    I downloaded the FM/2 wpi the other day from pub/new without any problem at
    all. (meaning same as with the old server)

    Hmmm...interesting

  12. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On 09/19/08 06:43 pm, Eye Pikm wrote:
    [..]

    > I downloaded the FM/2 wpi the other day from pub/new without any problem at
    > all. (meaning same as with the old server)
    >
    > Hmmm...interesting

    With http or ftp?
    Dave

  13. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 05:28:45 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:

    > On 09/19/08 06:43 pm, Eye Pikm wrote:
    > [..]
    > >
    > > I downloaded the FM/2 wpi the other day from pub/new without any problem at
    > > all. (meaning same as with the old server)
    > >
    > > Hmmm...interesting

    > With http or ftp?
    > Dave

    http

  14. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On 09/21/08 06:42 pm, Eye Pikm wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 05:28:45 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:
    >
    >> On 09/19/08 06:43 pm, Eye Pikm wrote:
    >> [..]
    >>> I downloaded the FM/2 wpi the other day from pub/new without any problem at
    >>> all. (meaning same as with the old server)
    >>>
    >>> Hmmm...interesting

    >> With http or ftp?
    >> Dave

    > http

    It is ftp that is (was?) giving problems
    Dave

  15. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 04:09:34 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:

    > On 09/21/08 06:42 pm, Eye Pikm wrote:
    > > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 05:28:45 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:
    > >
    > >> On 09/19/08 06:43 pm, Eye Pikm wrote:
    > >> [..]

    > >> With http or ftp?
    > >> Dave

    > > http
    > >

    > It is ftp that is (was?) giving problems
    > Dave

    might be was. back to /pub/new and downloaded ExifTool wpi via ftp,
    username/password popped up, put in annonymous and just for fun used 'what'
    as the password. downloaded just fine. then for kicks went to
    /pub/incoming/ and ftp'd a zip just fine since there are no wpi files there
    at the moment. problem seems to be fixed (for me anyway).

  16. Re: problem with Hobbes

    On 09/22/08 08:42 pm, Eye Pikm wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 04:09:34 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:

    >>> http
    >>>

    >> It is ftp that is (was?) giving problems
    >> Dave

    > might be was. back to /pub/new and downloaded ExifTool wpi via ftp,
    > username/password popped up, put in annonymous and just for fun used 'what'
    > as the password. downloaded just fine. then for kicks went to
    > /pub/incoming/ and ftp'd a zip just fine since there are no wpi files there
    > at the moment. problem seems to be fixed (for me anyway).

    Hmm, I just tried to download a zip and wpi from /pub/incoming and
    neither worked. Error was Failed to open file. Using ncftp. Testing with
    Seamonkey it does seem to work
    Dave
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread