eCS 1.2r and extra PIC USB 2.0-card - OS2

This is a discussion on eCS 1.2r and extra PIC USB 2.0-card - OS2 ; Hi, after I was not able to get running an other PCI USB-2.0 card (Longshine LCS-6080, NEC D720101GJ) I bought a new one (Conrad SD-U2VIA6212, VIA VT6212L) and put it in the PC. hcimonit now says: You have 3 PCI ...

  1. eCS 1.2r and extra PIC USB 2.0-card

    Hi,

    after I was not able to get running an other PCI USB-2.0 card
    (Longshine LCS-6080, NEC D720101GJ) I bought a new one (Conrad
    SD-U2VIA6212, VIA VT6212L) and put it in the PC.

    hcimonit now says:

    You have 3 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
    You have 1 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)

    So I included in the config.sys:

    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

    And again the additional USB-ports are no working, during boot I get:

    USBUHCD.SYS: UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller driver v1.1 loaded
    USBUHCD.SYS: PCI slot 0, I/O base = b000h, interrupt = 9
    USBUHCD.SYS: UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller driver v1.1 loaded
    USBUHCD.SYS: PCI slot 0, I/O base = b400h, interrupt = 9
    USBUHCD.SYS: Additional UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller not found on
    PCI bus
    USBOHCD.SYS: PCI bus version 2.16, bus count 2, search index 4
    USBEHCD.SYS: Additional EHCI Compliant USB Host Controller not found on
    PCI bus
    USBEHCD.SYS: PCI bus version 2.16, bus count 2, search index 2
    USBD.SYS: USBD driver v1.1 loaded

    What the hell is going on here? Why does the USB-driver does not detect
    the card while hcimonit does find them????

    Thanks a lot,
    --
    To Answer please replace "invalid" with "de" !
    Zum Antworten bitte "invalid" durch "de" ersetzen !

    Chau y hasta luego,

    Thorolf

  2. Re: eCS 1.2r and extra PIC USB 2.0-card

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 17:48:31 +0200, Thorolf Godawa wrote:

    >hcimonit now says:
    >
    >You have 3 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
    >You have 1 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)
    >
    >So I included in the config.sys:
    >
    >BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    >BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    >BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    >BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V
    >BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /V
    >BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

    Is 3 PCI USB OHCI a typo and it should be UHCI because you are trying
    to load UHCI drivers (you have USBUHCD.SYS instead of USBOHCD.SYS).

    I use the switches /V /FS but can't remember why now.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont

  3. Re: eCS 1.2r and extra PIC USB 2.0-card

    Hi,

    > Is 3 PCI USB OHCI a typo and it should be UHCI because you are trying
    > to load UHCI drivers (you have USBUHCD.SYS instead of USBOHCD.SYS).

    yes, it's a typo in my mail, hcimonit.exe found 3 UHCI controllers!

    BTW: I also installed eCS20rc5 on the system, during install it selects
    3 UHCI and 1 EHCI but ist does not work too :-(

    On Win98se, after installing the drivers the card seems to work, at
    least it recognizes if I plug s.th. in there and wants to install
    drivers I do not have.

    > I use the switches /V /FS but can't remember why now.

    /V is only for verbosity, ich can check what /FS is doing!
    --
    To Answer please replace "invalid" with "de" !
    Zum Antworten bitte "invalid" durch "de" ersetzen !

    Chau y hasta luego,

    Thorolf

  4. Re: eCS 1.2r and extra PIC USB 2.0-card

    Thorolf,

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 17:48:31 +0200, Thorolf Godawa wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >after I was not able to get running an other PCI USB-2.0 card
    >(Longshine LCS-6080, NEC D720101GJ) I bought a new one (Conrad
    >SD-U2VIA6212, VIA VT6212L) and put it in the PC.
    >
    >hcimonit now says:
    >
    >You have 3 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
    >You have 1 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)
    >
    >So I included in the config.sys:
    >
    >BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    >BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    >BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    >BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V
    >BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /V
    >BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

    Try changing that to:

    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

    and see what happens.

    I also had trouble with USB drivers and ACPI. If using ACPI, try turning it
    off and see if the USB works.... that at least might show where the trouble
    lies.

    Dave McKenna

  5. Re: eCS 1.2r and extra PIC USB 2.0-card

    Hi Thorolf

    Thorolf Godawa wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > after I was not able to get running an other PCI USB-2.0 card
    > (Longshine LCS-6080, NEC D720101GJ) I bought a new one (Conrad
    > SD-U2VIA6212, VIA VT6212L) and put it in the PC.
    >
    > hcimonit now says:
    >
    > You have 3 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
    > You have 1 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)
    >
    > So I included in the config.sys:
    >
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

    Having seen in another post that you mean the original line "You have 3
    PCI USB OHCI host controller(s") should be "You have 3 PCI USB UHCI host
    controller(s)"

    Change the above order driver order so that the BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS is 1st

    > And again the additional USB-ports are no working, during boot I get:
    >
    > USBUHCD.SYS: UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller driver v1.1 loaded
    > USBUHCD.SYS: PCI slot 0, I/O base = b000h, interrupt = 9
    > USBUHCD.SYS: UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller driver v1.1 loaded
    > USBUHCD.SYS: PCI slot 0, I/O base = b400h, interrupt = 9
    > USBUHCD.SYS: Additional UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller not found on
    > PCI bus

    So the 3rd (?) UHCI controller is not found...

    > USBOHCD.SYS: PCI bus version 2.16, bus count 2, search index 4

    What is the above line about? What OHCI controller?

    > USBEHCD.SYS: Additional EHCI Compliant USB Host Controller not found on
    > PCI bus

    An extra line for an (2nd) EHCI controller somewhere in the config.sys file?

    > USBEHCD.SYS: PCI bus version 2.16, bus count 2, search index 2
    > USBD.SYS: USBD driver v1.1 loaded
    >
    > What the hell is going on here? Why does the USB-driver does not detect
    > the card while hcimonit does find them????
    >
    > Thanks a lot,

    Download, Install and RUN USBcfg
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

    The System page will tell you what controllers are available on your
    system and what you currently have installed. Set the Installed values
    to the same as the Available values and see if that helps after a reboot.

    Regards

    Pete

  6. Re: eCS 1.2r and extra PIC USB 2.0-card

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 15:48:31 UTC, Thorolf Godawa
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > after I was not able to get running an other PCI USB-2.0 card
    > (Longshine LCS-6080, NEC D720101GJ) I bought a new one (Conrad
    > SD-U2VIA6212, VIA VT6212L) and put it in the PC.
    >
    > hcimonit now says:
    >
    > You have 3 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
    > You have 1 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)
    >
    > So I included in the config.sys:
    >
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    >
    > And again the additional USB-ports are no working, during boot I get:
    >
    > USBUHCD.SYS: UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller driver v1.1 loaded
    > USBUHCD.SYS: PCI slot 0, I/O base = b000h, interrupt = 9
    > USBUHCD.SYS: UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller driver v1.1 loaded
    > USBUHCD.SYS: PCI slot 0, I/O base = b400h, interrupt = 9
    > USBUHCD.SYS: Additional UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller not found on
    > PCI bus
    > USBOHCD.SYS: PCI bus version 2.16, bus count 2, search index 4
    > USBEHCD.SYS: Additional EHCI Compliant USB Host Controller not found on
    > PCI bus
    > USBEHCD.SYS: PCI bus version 2.16, bus count 2, search index 2
    > USBD.SYS: USBD driver v1.1 loaded
    >
    > What the hell is going on here? Why does the USB-driver does not detect
    > the card while hcimonit does find them????
    >
    > Thanks a lot,

    I would also check the BIOS to see what interrupt is assigned to ACPI.
    My machine happens to default to 9.

    --
    Chuck McKinnis

  7. Re: eCS 1.2r and extra PIC USB 2.0-card

    Hi all,

    > Having seen in another post that you mean the original line "You have 3
    > PCI USB OHCI host controller(s") should be "You have 3 PCI USB UHCI host
    > controller(s)"

    the thing with the OHCI is only a typo, the new card only has 1 EHCI and
    1 UHCI, the other two UHCI host controller are onboard!

    > Change the above order driver order so that the BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS is 1st

    I have done this, no change.

    > So the 3rd (?) UHCI controller is not found...

    Yes, the two onboard are working and before I had a different PCI USB
    2.0 card that had 1 OHCI and 1 EHIC but that worked neither.

    >> USBOHCD.SYS: PCI bus version 2.16, bus count 2, search index 4

    > What is the above line about? What OHCI controller?

    Typo, it is a UHCI (the old one was OHCI)!

    > An extra line for an (2nd) EHCI controller somewhere in the config.sys
    > file?

    No, I checked that again.

    > Download, Install and RUN USBcfg
    > The System page will tell you what controllers are available on your
    > system and what you currently have installed. Set the Installed values
    > to the same as the Available values and see if that helps after a reboot.

    I have done so, it tells me that I have 3 UHCI and 1 EHCI and verbose is
    set - I rebooted and same result.

    I also gave the PCI-slot an unique IRQ (I tried 5, 10 and 11), the
    onboard USB 1.1 has IRQ 9 and I moved it to 10 and 11, I switched the
    PCI-slot (the system has one AGP-slot for VGA and two PCI-slots, one
    is equiped with an Intel PRO/100, the other one with the USB 2.0-card)
    and I even disabled the onboard USB-port - nothing helps :-(

    Any other ideas?
    --
    To Answer please replace "invalid" with "de" !
    Zum Antworten bitte "invalid" durch "de" ersetzen !

    Chau y hasta luego,

    Thorolf

  8. Re: eCS 1.2r and extra PIC USB 2.0-card

    Hi,

    I found a third PCI USB-card (noname, NEC D720100AGM, 1 UHCI, 1 EHCI),
    hcimonit and USBcfg report 1 EHCI and 3 UHCI, but again same result :-(

    So it seems to be an issue with the PC or the IBM-driver is just not
    compatible with extra PCI USB-cards because I never had any issues with
    any onboard USB controllers I ever found.
    --
    To Answer please replace "invalid" with "de" !
    Zum Antworten bitte "invalid" durch "de" ersetzen !

    Chau y hasta luego,

    Thorolf

  9. Re: eCS 1.2r and extra PIC USB 2.0-card

    OK, finaly I found out that it's just NOT working with this PC :-(

    I tested all three PCI USB-cards in an even older IBM PC 300XL (iP2) and
    booted with the eCS20rc5-CD, when asking for the registration-key I
    pluged in my USB-stick and it was recognised by all three cards!

    Doing the same with the other system results in not working, so it is a
    hardware-issue :-( But actually I don't understand why it works on
    Windows 98se anyway ...

    So thanks for you tips,
    --
    To Answer please replace "invalid" with "de" !
    Zum Antworten bitte "invalid" durch "de" ersetzen !

    Chau y hasta luego,

    Thorolf

  10. Re: eCS 1.2r and extra PIC USB 2.0-card

    > I also gave the PCI-slot an unique IRQ (I tried 5, 10 and 11), the
    > onboard USB 1.1 has IRQ 9 and I moved it to 10 and 11, I switched the
    > PCI-slot (the system has one AGP-slot for VGA and two PCI-slots, one
    > is equiped with an Intel PRO/100, the other one with the USB 2.0-card)
    > and I even disabled the onboard USB-port - nothing helps :-(
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    I can fully second your problems. I have USB ports that I cannot use
    under OS/2 (but that are ok under Windows) and USB 2.0 (EHCI) does not
    work at all.
    For everything I know this is due to the USB device enumeration logic
    that IBM has implemented according to USB specification but that does
    not work in real world because Microsoft decided to implement a
    different enumeration logic so everyone (including the HW vendors, I
    guess) had to follow their logic (since they are market leader).
    You are out of luck here. I talked to Martin Kiewitz and he offered to
    change the USB drivers and implement the enumeration logic as Microsoft
    does it but this discussion went out into the blue ...

    Lars

+ Reply to Thread