can't find the print server - OS2

This is a discussion on can't find the print server - OS2 ; only incidentally an OS/2 question: over the weekend after I blew up the settings for my router while trying to set up the wireless (Roku box coming in), I had to set up my LAN anew, but since I was ...

  1. can't find the print server

    only incidentally an OS/2 question: over the weekend after I blew up
    the settings for my router while trying to set up the wireless (Roku
    box coming in), I had to set up my LAN anew, but since I was in a
    hurry & couldn't remember how I'd had it set up before, didn't get it
    quite right.

    I think how I'd used to do it was to set the IP addresses for the
    router and the print server and allow DHCP to handle the machines.

    on Sunday I needed to reset the router to 192.168.1.2 (I think it
    defaulted to 192.168.1.1 which conflicted with the DSL modem). after
    that, everything on the LAN worked ok EXCEPT I lost access to the
    print server from the XP box. I can still happily print from this OS/
    2 box using the "net use" command

    net use lpt4 \\PS-00XXXX\PS-00XXXXX-P1

    but I can't determine what IP address has been assigned to the
    printer. I guess I could simply shut everything down and start all
    over again and try to find just the print server IP address from the
    beginning, but apart from being time-consuming, that allows more room
    for me to screw things up again. is there some kind of utility
    that'll let me find the IP address of the printer so I can print from
    'doze again?

    -rafe

  2. Re: can't find the print server

    rafe wrote:

    > but I can't determine what IP address has been assigned to the
    > printer. I guess I could simply shut everything down and start all
    > over again and try to find just the print server IP address from the
    > beginning, but apart from being time-consuming, that allows more room
    > for me to screw things up again. is there some kind of utility
    > that'll let me find the IP address of the printer so I can print from
    > 'doze again?

    _____
    On most printers there is a menu item that lets you dump the contents of
    a test page. The test page usually displays the IP address plus other
    useful information such as available character sets, memory, emulation
    options and so on. Give that a try. Then there is always a method to
    reset the printer to default factory settings. If you don't have the
    printer manual, i would go on the iNet, locate one and read it.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  3. Re: can't find the print server

    If you can not get a test page from the printer, you should be able to
    connect to the router with a browser and there should be a list of
    'clients' that got a DHCP address from the router.
    One of these should be the printer.

    Also, if you get the IP address the PC got from the router, the IP
    address of the printed should be close to that address.
    The last octet is the one that will change, not the 192.168.1.

    I set an IP reservation in the router for my printers and servers.
    You tell the router the MAC address of the printer, and the IP address
    you want it to be. The router will not give that address out to other
    devices.
    You can then put a small label on the printer with the IP address.
    I use 40 to 42 for my printers.

    Hope this helps
    Rich W.

    rafe wrote:

    > I think how I'd used to do it was to set the IP addresses for the
    > router and the print server and allow DHCP to handle the machines.
    >
    > on Sunday I needed to reset the router to 192.168.1.2 (I think it
    > defaulted to 192.168.1.1 which conflicted with the DSL modem). after
    > that, everything on the LAN worked ok EXCEPT I lost access to the
    > print server from the XP box. I can still happily print from this OS/
    > 2 box using the "net use" command
    >
    > net use lpt4 \\PS-00XXXX\PS-00XXXXX-P1
    >
    > but I can't determine what IP address has been assigned to the
    > printer. I guess I could simply shut everything down and start all
    > over again and try to find just the print server IP address from the
    > beginning, but apart from being time-consuming, that allows more room
    > for me to screw things up again. is there some kind of utility
    > that'll let me find the IP address of the printer so I can print from
    > 'doze again?
    >
    > -rafe

  4. Re: can't find the print server

    On Sep 4, 10:37 pm, Rich Wonneberger wrote:
    > If you can not get a test page from the printer, you should be able to
    > connect to the router with a browser and there should be a list of
    > 'clients' that got a DHCP address from the router.
    > One of these should be the printer.
    >
    > Also, if you get the IP address the PC got from the router, the IP
    > address of the printed should be close to that address.
    > The last octet is the one that will change, not the 192.168.1.
    >
    > I set an IP reservation in the router for my printers and servers.
    > You tell the router the MAC address of the printer, and the IP address
    > you want it to be. The router will not give that address out to other
    > devices.
    > You can then put a small label on the printer with the IP address.
    > I use 40 to 42 for my printers.
    >
    > Hope this helps
    > Rich W.

    I guess sometimes it shows up in the router's status page, other times
    it doesn't. even when it does (like now -- I can see from the MAC
    address that it's at 192.168.1.100) if I try to access the server from
    any browser on the system, I get a timeout page instead of the
    printer's web interface.

    nor can the rather primitive but usually effective Windows software it
    came with access it on the XP box -- it's unable to discover it.

    here's the status page:

    odettex 192.168.1.104 XP box
    192.168.1.100 (this is the print server)
    morelxp 192.168.1.102 (laptop, now offline)
    unknown 192.168.1.101 probably the OS/2 box

    somehow, I can't remember, I had reserved 192.168.1.103 for the print
    server in order to make it easier to set it in XP. I wonder if this
    is at the root of my problems? should I delete that port in XP,
    reboot, & start again?

    -rafe

  5. Re: can't find the print server

    I would set the reserved address for the printer higher, say 120.
    You should be able to create a new port in XP at that address and just
    change the queue to use it.

    rafe wrote:
    > here's the status page:
    >
    > odettex 192.168.1.104 XP box
    > 192.168.1.100 (this is the print server)
    > morelxp 192.168.1.102 (laptop, now offline)
    > unknown 192.168.1.101 probably the OS/2 box
    >
    > somehow, I can't remember, I had reserved 192.168.1.103 for the print
    > server in order to make it easier to set it in XP. I wonder if this
    > is at the root of my problems? should I delete that port in XP,
    > reboot, & start again?
    >
    > -rafe

  6. Re: can't find the print server

    this is driving me a little batty. I can't imagine the print server
    is on the fritz -- it prints using the "Net use" command with the MAC
    address from OS/2 -- but I simply can't find it with either the
    browser or the utility. (is there was similarly useable "net use"
    command for XP?)

    I also can't seem to locate the DSL modem through a browser window.
    when I put everything back together again last weekend, having hw
    reset both the modem and the router, I connected the XP box directly
    to the modem, bypassing the router.

    when I did that, I could browse to the modem, which I think was at
    192.168.1.1. then when I connected the router, which defaulted to
    192.168.1.1, I reset its IP address to 192.168.1.2. but now with
    everything hooked up, I can't seem to get at the modem either.

    pinging *.101, *.2, *.104 gets a response

    pinging *.1, 103, 102 gets nada....

    -rafe

  7. Re: can't find the print server

    rafe writes:
    >this is driving me a little batty. I can't imagine the print server
    >is on the fritz -- it prints using the "Net use" command with the MAC
    >address from OS/2 -- but I simply can't find it with either the
    >browser or the utility. (is there was similarly useable "net use"
    >command for XP?)

    The Windows NET commands are similar to the OS/2
    commands, though I think NET VIEW is a bit different
    in how it works.

    Steve N.

  8. Re: can't find the print server

    Rafe,

    Can you change the modem to 192.168.2.1
    I wonder if having the same sub-net (192.168.1 in your case) on both is
    the problem.

    rafe wrote:

    > I also can't seem to locate the DSL modem through a browser window.
    > when I put everything back together again last weekend, having hw
    > reset both the modem and the router, I connected the XP box directly
    > to the modem, bypassing the router.
    >
    > when I did that, I could browse to the modem, which I think was at
    > 192.168.1.1. then when I connected the router, which defaulted to
    > 192.168.1.1, I reset its IP address to 192.168.1.2. but now with
    > everything hooked up, I can't seem to get at the modem either.
    >
    > pinging *.101, *.2, *.104 gets a response
    >
    > pinging *.1, 103, 102 gets nada....
    >
    > -rafe

  9. Re: can't find the print server

    I don't know exactly how but somehow I managed to dredge it from the
    mire. this afternoon I returned from a weekend in Indianapolis and
    plugged my T22 laptop back into the network. I'd noticed that the XP
    side had the printserver utility -- btw, the unit is a LanReady CP-830
    which I'd seen recommended here -- so just for the heck of it, I fired
    it up. somehow it managed to find the printserver at 192.168.0.103.
    clicked on the configure tcp/ip protocol button, chnaged it to
    192.168.1.140 as per RIch W., and hit "apply," and now it seems to be
    working on all my boxes again.

    however: strangely, on the router status page, its MAC address turns
    up under 192.168.1.105.

    btw (or not) under the TCP/IP protocol page on the browser
    configuration window, it asks for a "default gateway" -- I put in
    192.168.1.100 as a w.g., is there any chance that's correct?

    -rafe

  10. Re: can't find the print server

    On 09/15/08 03:44 pm, rafe wrote:

    > btw (or not) under the TCP/IP protocol page on the browser
    > configuration window, it asks for a "default gateway" -- I put in
    > 192.168.1.100 as a w.g., is there any chance that's correct?

    Unless you are planning on printing from the Internet, set the default
    gateway to 0.0.0.0, i.e., disable it.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

+ Reply to Thread