Video driver options for os/2 - OS2

This is a discussion on Video driver options for os/2 - OS2 ; Hello, My computer's motherboard (asus a7n8x) recently stopped functioning. I replaced it with an asus m2n-mx se+ and an AMD Athlon X2-64 (AM2) CPU. The GPU is an onboard Nvidia GeForce 6100. The SNAP v3.1.8 video driver crashes the system ...

  1. Video driver options for os/2

    Hello,
    My computer's motherboard (asus a7n8x) recently stopped functioning. I
    replaced it with an asus m2n-mx se+ and an AMD Athlon X2-64 (AM2) CPU. The
    GPU is an onboard Nvidia GeForce 6100.
    The SNAP v3.1.8 video driver crashes the system when it attempts to
    start up. So I installed GENGRADD which at least allows me to run at
    1600x1200 like I had with the ATi Radeon 9550 video card, although only at
    16bit instead of 24bit color.
    GENGRADD is abysmally slow, even with the 2.5GHz CPU. (I haven't tried
    setting up for the dual core yet.)
    I tried Panorama v20070427. My choice of video resolutions: 640x480x8.
    No other choice was allowed even if selected; I selected 1024x768 (the
    maximum shown!), rebooted, got 640x480. I did attempt v20070920 but the
    WarpIn installation failed with an explanation of "". Really!
    I am guessing I am truly SOL with this motherboard with respect to the
    video options.

    The dialog text is huge. Is there a way to reduce its size in GENGRADD?
    With SNAP there was the "set sddfontsize=..." option.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  2. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 21:10:43 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > I am guessing I am truly SOL with this motherboard with respect to the
    > video options.

    It's got a PCiE 16x slot, buy a video card. You can get ATI X300SE video cards
    from Ebay for US$35 and can probably find a more reliable source for not much
    more.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  3. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    On 09/03/08 03:51 pm, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >> I am guessing I am truly SOL with this motherboard with respect to the
    >> video options.

    > It's got a PCiE 16x slot, buy a video card. You can get ATI X300SE video cards
    > from Ebay for US$35 and can probably find a more reliable source for not much
    > more.

    Does that adapter support 1600x1200 on the DVI output?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  4. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 00:38:12 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > On 09/03/08 03:51 pm, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > >> I am guessing I am truly SOL with this motherboard with respect to the
    > >> video options.

    > > It's got a PCiE 16x slot, buy a video card. You can get ATI X300SE video cards
    > > from Ebay for US$35 and can probably find a more reliable source for not much
    > > more.
    > >

    > Does that adapter support 1600x1200 on the DVI output?

    No idea about DVI but I have two of them in OS/2 machines that are running
    1600x1200x32@85Hz on the VGA port. I wouldn't expect there to be a difference
    between DVI and VGA but since I've not used DVI on OS/2, I can't say for sure.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    Hi Jim,

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 00:38:12 UTC, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > On 09/03/08 03:51 pm, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > >> I am guessing I am truly SOL with this motherboard with respect to the
    > >> video options.

    > > It's got a PCiE 16x slot, buy a video card. You can get ATI X300SE video cards
    > > from Ebay for US$35 and can probably find a more reliable source for not much
    > > more.
    > >

    > Does that adapter support 1600x1200 on the DVI output?

    Mine runs at 1920x1200 on DVI

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  6. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:10:43 -0700, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > I tried Panorama v20070427. My choice of video resolutions: 640x480x8.
    > No other choice was allowed even if selected; I selected 1024x768 (the
    > maximum shown!), rebooted, got 640x480. I did attempt v20070920 but the
    > WarpIn installation failed with an explanation of "". Really!

    I suspect this message somehow came from the package, not WarpIN itself.
    What did WarpIN's INSTALL.LOG say?

  7. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    On 09/04/08 05:52 am, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

    >> I tried Panorama v20070427. My choice of video resolutions: 640x480x8.
    >> No other choice was allowed even if selected; I selected 1024x768 (the
    >> maximum shown!), rebooted, got 640x480. I did attempt v20070920 but the
    >> WarpIn installation failed with an explanation of "". Really!

    > I suspect this message somehow came from the package, not WarpIN itself.
    > What did WarpIN's INSTALL.LOG say?

    Here are the last lines in :
    12:19:03.83 Updated CONFIG.SYS: "DLL SET greext=sddgrext"
    12:19:03.83 Updated CONFIG.SYS: "NWL SET GREEXT=PANOGREX"
    12:19:03.83 Updated CONFIG.SYS: "NWL SET C1=VBE2GRAD"
    12:19:03.83 Error 5 occurred writing CONFIG.SYS back to disk

    is normally write-protected to prevent me from accidentally
    erasing it. Usually I unprotect it before installing any software but not
    this time. Knowing this I may give Panorama one more try.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  8. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:54:52 -0700, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    >> I suspect this message somehow came from the package, not WarpIN itself.
    >> What did WarpIN's INSTALL.LOG say?

    > Here are the last lines in :
    > 12:19:03.83 Updated CONFIG.SYS: "DLL SET greext=sddgrext"
    > 12:19:03.83 Updated CONFIG.SYS: "NWL SET GREEXT=PANOGREX"
    > 12:19:03.83 Updated CONFIG.SYS: "NWL SET C1=VBE2GRAD"
    > 12:19:03.83 Error 5 occurred writing CONFIG.SYS back to disk
    >
    > is normally write-protected to prevent me from accidentally
    > erasing it. Usually I unprotect it before installing any software but not
    > this time. Knowing this I may give Panorama one more try.

    Ah. AFAICS, you should at least have got a WarpIN Internal Error message box.
    There seems to be no code to trap the specific exception that is thrown.
    I guess I'll have to fix that.

  9. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > Hello,
    > My computer's motherboard (asus a7n8x) recently stopped functioning. I
    > replaced it with an asus m2n-mx se+ and an AMD Athlon X2-64 (AM2) CPU. The
    > GPU is an onboard Nvidia GeForce 6100.

    I'm using a GeForce 6200 card in my machine and it works okay. The SNAP
    v3.1.8 driver never supported the GeForce 6100 AFAIK on OS/2. The
    'official' Nvidia list of chipsets that were supported were:

    RIVA-128, RIVA-128ZX, RIVA-TNT, RIVA-TNT2, RIVA-TNT2 M64, RIVA-TNT2
    Vanta, RIVA-TNT2 Ultra, GeForce 256, GeForce DDR, Quadro, GeForce2
    Integrated GPU, GeForce2 Ti, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 MX 100/200, GeForce2
    MX/MX 400, GeForce2 Ultra, GeForce4 MX 420, GeForce3, Quadro2, GeForce4
    MX 440, GeForce4 MX 440 8X, GeForce4 MX 460, GeForce4 MX 4000, GeForce4
    Integrated GPU, Quadro4 NVS, GeForce4 Ti 4200, GeForce4 Ti 4200 8X,
    GeForce4 Ti 4400, GeForce4 Ti 4600, GeForce4 Ti 4800, Quadro4 XGL,
    GeForce FX 5200, GeForce FX 5500, GeForce FX 5600 Series, GeForce FX
    5700 Series, GeForce PCX 5300, GeForce PCX 5750, Quadro FX, GeForce 6200
    Series, GeForce 6600 Series

    The ATI list of supported chipsets for OS/2 was:

    Mach64 GX, Mach64 CX, Mach64 CT, Mach64 VT, 3D Rage, Mach64 VTB, 3D Rage
    II, 3D Rage II+, Mach64 VT4, 3D Rage IIC, 3D Rage Pro, 3D Rage LT Pro,
    Rage Mobility, Rage XL, Rage 128, Rage 128 Pro, Rage 128 Ultra, Rage
    Mobility 128, Rage Mobility 128-D4x, ES1000, Radeon 7200, Radeon 7000,
    Radeon IGP 320M / 340M, Mobility Radeon, Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP,
    Radeon 7500, Mobility Radeon 7500, Radeon 8500, Radeon 8500DV, Mobility
    Radeon 9000, Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP, Radeon 9000 Series, Radeon 9100
    Pro IGP, Radeon 9100, Mobility Radeon 9200, Radeon 9200 Series, Radeon
    9500, Radeon 9500 Pro, Radeon 9550, Mobility Radeon 9550, Mobility
    Radeon 9600, Radeon 9600 Series, Radeon 9600 XT, Radeon 9700 Pro,
    Mobility Radeon 9800, Radeon 9800, Radeon 9800 Pro, Radeon 9800 XT,
    Mobility Radeon X300, Mobility Radeon X600, Mobility Radeon XPress 200,
    Radeon XPress 200, Radeon X300 Series, FireMV 2200, Radeon X550, Radeon
    X600 Series, Radeon X700 Series, Mobility Radeon X800, Radeon X800
    Series, Radeon X850 Series

    I would suggest getting a video card with a supported chipset on it and
    using that. The SNAP scitech video driver was much further along when
    development ended with v 3.1.8 than the panaroma driver probably ever
    will be.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  10. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    On 09/03/08 05:10 pm Jim Moe wrote:

    > My computer's motherboard (asus a7n8x) recently stopped functioning. I
    > replaced it with an asus m2n-mx se+ and an AMD Athlon X2-64 (AM2) CPU. The
    > GPU is an onboard Nvidia GeForce 6100.
    > The SNAP v3.1.8 video driver crashes the system when it attempts to
    > start up. So I installed GENGRADD which at least allows me to run at
    > 1600x1200 like I had with the ATi Radeon 9550 video card, although only at
    > 16bit instead of 24bit color.
    > GENGRADD is abysmally slow, even with the 2.5GHz CPU. (I haven't tried
    > setting up for the dual core yet.)
    > I tried Panorama v20070427. My choice of video resolutions: 640x480x8.
    > No other choice was allowed even if selected; I selected 1024x768 (the
    > maximum shown!), rebooted, got 640x480. I did attempt v20070920 but the
    > WarpIn installation failed with an explanation of "". Really!
    > I am guessing I am truly SOL with this motherboard with respect to the
    > video options.
    >
    > The dialog text is huge. Is there a way to reduce its size in GENGRADD?
    > With SNAP there was the "set sddfontsize=..." option.

    I have one eCS machine with an ATI X300 board, the other with an ATI
    X1050 board (which SNAP thinks is an X550). An X1550 did not work with SNAP.

    All of these are PCI-Express cards.

    Perce

  11. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    On 09/03/08 02:10 pm, Jim Moe wrote:
    > Hello,
    > The SNAP v3.1.8 video driver crashes the system when it attempts to
    > start up. So I installed GENGRADD which at least allows me to run at
    > 1600x1200 like I had with the ATi Radeon 9550 video card, although only at
    > 16bit instead of 24bit color.

    The ATI Radeon hd3450 is locally available. Does anyone know if SNAP
    would find it acceptable? It is not listed in SNAP's list of supported
    adapters but maybe the chipset is okay?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  12. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    Hi Jim

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > On 09/03/08 02:10 pm, Jim Moe wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> The SNAP v3.1.8 video driver crashes the system when it attempts to
    >> start up. So I installed GENGRADD which at least allows me to run at
    >> 1600x1200 like I had with the ATi Radeon 9550 video card, although only at
    >> 16bit instead of 24bit color.
    >>

    > The ATI Radeon hd3450 is locally available. Does anyone know if SNAP
    > would find it acceptable? It is not listed in SNAP's list of supported
    > adapters but maybe the chipset is okay?

    I would guess you should be able to get it working in VESA VBE mode.

    You use the command

    gaoption VBE on

    in a command window open in the \SNAP directory to switch to that mode
    on a working system. Maybe it is possible to use that command after
    installing SNAP but *before* rebooting - never tried so do not know if
    it will work.

    Regards

    Pete

  13. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    On 09/06/08 03:40 pm, Peter Brown wrote:

    >> The ATI Radeon hd3450 is locally available. Does anyone know if SNAP
    >> would find it acceptable? It is not listed in SNAP's list of supported
    >> adapters but maybe the chipset is okay?

    > I would guess you should be able to get it working in VESA VBE mode.
    >
    > You use the command
    > gaoption VBE on

    That's to force use of the VBE driver, regardless of whether there is a
    supported chipset driver or not. In this case, it will use it
    automatically, without having to do that. One warning about newer ATI
    chipsets - DOS windows (and WinOS2 seamless mode) may not work. IBM was
    repeatedly fixing VSVGA.SYS for every new generation of ATI chipsets,
    but obviously they stopped doing that over two years ago.

  14. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    On 09/06/08 03:40 pm, Peter Brown wrote:

    >> The ATI Radeon hd3450 is locally available. Does anyone know if SNAP
    >> would find it acceptable? It is not listed in SNAP's list of supported
    >> adapters but maybe the chipset is okay?

    > I would guess you should be able to get it working in VESA VBE mode.

    My experience so far is that SNAP handles it by crashing.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  15. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    On 09/06/08 09:20 pm, Jim Moe wrote:

    >> I would guess you should be able to get it working in VESA VBE mode.

    > My experience so far is that SNAP handles it by crashing.

    That doesn't necessarily mean it's the VBE driver; I guess once you put
    in a PCI Express card, you'll know better.

  16. Re: Video driver options for os/2

    On 09/03/08 05:46 pm, Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >> > It's got a PCiE 16x slot, buy a video card. You can get ATI X300SE video cards
    >> > from Ebay for US$35 and can probably find a more reliable source for not much
    >> > more.
    >> >

    >> Does that adapter support 1600x1200 on the DVI output?

    > No idea about DVI but I have two of them in OS/2 machines that are running
    > 1600x1200x32@85Hz on the VGA port. I wouldn't expect there to be a difference
    > between DVI and VGA but since I've not used DVI on OS/2, I can't say for sure.

    I ordered a Radeon x300se 256MB from an ebay vendor. Got a x600 64MB.
    Still, it was only $35. And it works.
    It usually boots okay; occasionally it just hangs just before switching
    to graphics mode. I also tried using the DVI cable instead of the analog
    cable; it *always* hangs at some point, usually just before graphics mode
    although once it completed the switch and then froze.
    Despite all of that, I am satisfied. Compared to GENGRADD the graphics
    are like lightning. I am happy enough.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

+ Reply to Thread