DFSEE and Flash Drives... - OS2

This is a discussion on DFSEE and Flash Drives... - OS2 ; Hi Folks, I have an Adaptec SCSI HA with 2 SCSI HD's. These are fine, however I also have a new 2Gb Imation USB flash drive that arrived set up as 2 partitions (1 is secure and the other is ...

  1. DFSEE and Flash Drives...

    Hi Folks,

    I have an Adaptec SCSI HA with 2 SCSI HD's. These are fine, however I
    also have a new 2Gb Imation USB flash drive that arrived set up as 2
    partitions (1 is secure and the other is "hidden") accessible under
    Windows, and I wish to completely blow the partitions away and replace
    them with 1 "new" partition (probably formatted as FAT32). The problem
    is that from OS/2 I can't do anything constructive with the flash
    drive, so I suspect I need to boot from a DFSEE CD and (hopefully)
    sort the issue out from there...

    I have DFSEE 9.09 (registered) and wish to confirm what I think I
    need to do. If I boot from the DFSEE CD, will DFSEE be able to -
    1. See the USB Flash Drive
    2. Allow me to destroy existing partitions,
    3. Allow me to completely set up this Flash Drive again (IE
    partition and format the drive) so that its useable under OS/2?

    I hate touching things until I feel confident I know whats most likely
    to happen, so I need some confirmation of this process.

    Thanks.......................pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.

  2. Re: DFSEE and Flash Drives...

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 10:10:06 UTC, "Peter"
    wrote:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have an Adaptec SCSI HA with 2 SCSI HD's. These are fine, however I
    > also have a new 2Gb Imation USB flash drive that arrived set up as 2
    > partitions (1 is secure and the other is "hidden") accessible under
    > Windows, and I wish to completely blow the partitions away and replace
    > them with 1 "new" partition (probably formatted as FAT32). The problem
    > is that from OS/2 I can't do anything constructive with the flash
    > drive, so I suspect I need to boot from a DFSEE CD and (hopefully)
    > sort the issue out from there...
    >
    > I have DFSEE 9.09 (registered) and wish to confirm what I think I
    > need to do. If I boot from the DFSEE CD, will DFSEE be able to -
    > 1. See the USB Flash Drive
    > 2. Allow me to destroy existing partitions,
    > 3. Allow me to completely set up this Flash Drive again (IE
    > partition and format the drive) so that its useable under OS/2?
    >
    > I hate touching things until I feel confident I know whats most likely
    > to happen, so I need some confirmation of this process.

    Not a flash drive, but I just bought a used 2.5 notebook drive to put
    in a USB enclosure so effectively the same. It was formatted fat32 and
    at first OS/2 format just spat it out. I brought up dfsee under os/2
    and rewrote the mbr for JFS, created LVM info and a partition and then
    quit dfsee. *Then* I could format x: /FS:JFS.

    HTH

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

  3. Re: DFSEE and Flash Drives...

    Hi Peter

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have an Adaptec SCSI HA with 2 SCSI HD's. These are fine, however I
    > also have a new 2Gb Imation USB flash drive that arrived set up as 2
    > partitions (1 is secure and the other is "hidden") accessible under
    > Windows, and I wish to completely blow the partitions away and replace
    > them with 1 "new" partition (probably formatted as FAT32). The problem
    > is that from OS/2 I can't do anything constructive with the flash
    > drive, so I suspect I need to boot from a DFSEE CD and (hopefully)
    > sort the issue out from there...
    >
    > I have DFSEE 9.09 (registered) and wish to confirm what I think I
    > need to do. If I boot from the DFSEE CD, will DFSEE be able to -
    > 1. See the USB Flash Drive
    > 2. Allow me to destroy existing partitions,
    > 3. Allow me to completely set up this Flash Drive again (IE
    > partition and format the drive) so that its useable under OS/2?
    >
    > I hate touching things until I feel confident I know whats most likely
    > to happen, so I need some confirmation of this process.
    >
    > Thanks.......................pk.

    Does the flash drive actually attach?

    If "Yes" then use LVM to see what OS/2 thinks of it; I suspect that it
    can see 2 partitions and therefore requires either both partitions to
    have be volume drive letters - or you need to blow off both partitions
    and create just the 1 partition.

    DFSee is a very good way of sorting things out if the above does not apply.

    You may want to have a read of the "USB Removables FAQ", supplied as
    part of the USBcfg help http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

    The FAQ is also available on the os2voice website...
    http://www.os2voice.org/vnl/past_iss...feature_2.html

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: DFSEE and Flash Drives...

    Hi Peter,

    > Does the flash drive actually attach?

    Using USB Resource Manager from USBCFGB7a I can see when the drive is
    attached and removed. With the drive attached the DFSEE "map" command
    shows 2 x "stores" -
    ===
    Current = Store 1 : Whole Physical disk 1 FDISK size:35001.0 MiB
    Read/Write
    ... (text removed) ...

    Alternate Store 2 : Unused, not assigned yet. size:2097151 MiB
    Unused
    ===
    Store 1 is the single 35GB SCSI HD and store 2 apears to be the 2GB
    Flash drive, HOWEVER as you can see it shows up as "Unused, not
    assigned yet" and does not have a drive letter.

    So the flash device is "visible" but I am unsure how to proceed from
    this point without messing things up.

    I also have
    IFS=H:\OS2\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /H /Q
    CALL=H:\OS2\CACHEF32.EXE /F /L:OFF
    loaded as well, however until I have a drive to access they are not
    being used..;-(
    ..

    USB Resource manager shows the USB device as -
    ===
    <<< Device Description >>>
    Type : 01
    USB Rev : 200
    Class : Reserved (0)
    Subclass : Reserved (0)
    Protocol : Reserved (0)
    Device Information is defined at interface Level
    Max. packetsize : 40
    Vendor ID : 0718
    Product ID : 0452
    Device Release# : 0110
    Strings:
    Manufacturer Name : Imation
    Product Name : Swivel Pro
    Serial number : 078702AC076D
    Number of Configurations : 1

    Configuration 0 :
    Lenght : 32
    Name :
    Value : 1
    Attributes : 0x80
    Power : 200 mA
    Interfaces : 1

    Interface 0
    Alt Setting : 0
    Name :
    Class : Storage Device
    SubClass : SCSI transparent command set
    Protocol : Bulk-Only Transport
    Endpoints : 2

    Endpoint 0:
    Address : 81
    Attributes : 02
    Packetsize : 0200
    Interval : 0

    Endpoint 1:
    Address : 02
    Attributes : 02
    Packetsize : 0200
    Interval : 0
    ===

    Also, Config.Sys has -
    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:1 /A_USAGE:2 /REMOVABLES:2
    /REMOVABLE_AS_FLOPPY

    If I then use -
    DFSEE store 2
    I get -
    ===
    Current = Store 2 : Unused, not assigned yet. size:2097151 MiB
    Unused

    Store 2 : Unused : -- mode=FDISK
    310808-074221
    RC:0 : 00000000 u=00000000 x=0445C7ED this=00000000
    Base=00000000
    ===
    So while that apears to be the device, with DFSEE (Mode=FDISK) all MBR
    or LVM options only seem to see the SCSI HD and not the Flash drive.

    > If "Yes" then use LVM to see what OS/2 thinks of it;

    Both LVM and Mini LVM in Physical View only see the the HD, not the
    flash drive... In Logical View, LVM sees the "device" is assigned a
    Drive letter as follows -
    Volume *->E:
    Name [UNKNOWN 2]
    Status
    File System UNKNOWN
    Size (MB) 1911
    Type Compatibilty

    but it looks like I can't do anything with it. Surely I need to "see"
    it in Physical view first before I do anything???

    > I suspect that it
    > can see 2 partitions and therefore requires either both partitions to
    > have be volume drive letters - or you need to blow off both partitions
    > and create just the 1 partition.

    Nope, it can't see anything like that at all.....;-( Yes, I wish to
    blow all partitions away and set it up as 1.

    This may be related, if I connect the Flash Drive to a Windows XP
    machine, that sees 1 "public" drive and 1 "Private" drive that
    requires some (Windows) Imation S/W to be run to access it. I wish to
    blow all that away to have the full 2GB of flash space available as 1
    partition.

    > DFSee is a very good way of sorting things out if the above does not apply.

    My catch is I am unsure HOW to use DFSEE to do that, all the LVM
    functions seem to be either greyed out or seem to show only the wrong
    "device" available for action.

    So if LVM is showing Drive E: as the flash, and I then EXIT LVM and
    start DFSEE it get -
    ===
    DFSee OS/2 9.09 : Executing: vol E:

    Command timestamp : Sunday 2008-08-31 08:17:00

    Attempt to open : E:

    Device with assigned driveletter 'E:' (removable) Media unknown!

    Open error on FS : UNKNOWN, not supported (yet)

    Error opening device or volume 'E:'

    Msg: 26 = 0x1A : Unknown error at sector 0x00000000

    Unused, not assigned yet. size:0 (bps = 0)

    Store 2 : Unused : -- mode=FDISK
    310808-081700
    RC:26 = 0x1A : 00000000 u=00000000 x=0445C7ED this=00000000
    Base=00000000
    ===
    At least this looks roughly like what I would expect, but I am unsure
    of the next step.....;-(

    > You may want to have a read of the "USB Removables FAQ", supplied as
    > part of the USBcfg help http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

    I have crawled my way through heaps of documentation but seem to have
    something that does not quite fit the situation here.......;-(

    --
    Peter from Auckland.

+ Reply to Thread