CMD and PEER question - OS2

This is a discussion on CMD and PEER question - OS2 ; _____ Hello, I am using the following command file to start peer services, log onto the LAN locally, and set the time on the OS/2 system: ================================================== rem Start IBM Peer-to-Peer network NET START PEER rem Log on, and verify ...

  1. CMD and PEER question

    _____
    Hello,

    I am using the following command file to start peer services, log onto
    the LAN locally, and set the time on the OS/2 system:
    rem Start IBM Peer-to-Peer network
    NET START PEER
    rem Log on, and verify password locally
    LOGON USERID /P:PUT_PASSWORD_HERE /V:L
    rem Fetch time from server SERVER and set OS/2 time
    NET TIME \\SERVER /SET /YES

    When the system boots up i get a pop-up message saying that "a requested
    service is not available". The message does not say which service is
    not available. I have to cancel the pop-up window manually. Is there a
    standard way to:
    a) send the messages from the CMD.EXE processor to the "bit bucket"
    (as in Unix > /dev/null), and
    b) to prevent the pop-up message box from appearing?

    Thanks in advance.

    / John
    --
    Regards / JCH

  2. Re: CMD and PEER question

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:37:11 UTC, jch wrote:

    > I am using the following command file to start peer services, log onto
    > the LAN locally, and set the time on the OS/2 system:
    > rem Start IBM Peer-to-Peer network
    > NET START PEER
    > rem Log on, and verify password locally
    > LOGON USERID /P:PUT_PASSWORD_HERE /V:L
    > rem Fetch time from server SERVER and set OS/2 time
    > NET TIME \\SERVER /SET /YES
    >
    > When the system boots up i get a pop-up message saying that "a requested
    > service is not available". The message does not say which service is
    > not available. I have to cancel the pop-up window manually.

    I don't think NET TIME /SET is available unless you have a LAN Server
    (not Peer) on the network.

    > Is there a
    > standard way to:
    > a) send the messages from the CMD.EXE processor to the "bit bucket"
    > (as in Unix > /dev/null), and

    Use the device NUL. For more details:

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/cmd.html

    > b) to prevent the pop-up message box from appearing?

    Don't use NET TIME!
    --
    Bob Eager

  3. Re: CMD and PEER question

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:37:11 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, jch
    wrote:

    > I am using the following command file to start peer services, log onto
    > the LAN locally, and set the time on the OS/2 system:
    > rem Start IBM Peer-to-Peer network
    > NET START PEER
    > rem Log on, and verify password locally
    > LOGON USERID /P:PUT_PASSWORD_HERE /V:L
    > rem Fetch time from server SERVER and set OS/2 time
    > NET TIME \\SERVER /SET /YES
    >
    > When the system boots up i get a pop-up message saying that "a requested
    > service is not available". The message does not say which service is
    > not available. I have to cancel the pop-up window manually. Is there a
    > standard way to:
    > a) send the messages from the CMD.EXE processor to the "bit bucket"
    > (as in Unix > /dev/null), and
    > b) to prevent the pop-up message box from appearing?

    Why not run the contents of that command file manually, one by one so that you
    can see which of them is generating the message. When you find which one it is,
    try running NET ERROR and see if anything is logged - better yet, run NET ERROR
    /D to clear the log first so that you can see the wood for the trees.

    Best thing to do is to solve the original problem not cover up the symptoms.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  4. Re: CMD and PEER question

    On 27 Aug 2008 21:36:54 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

    >> NET TIME \\SERVER /SET /YES
    >>
    >> When the system boots up i get a pop-up message saying that "a requested
    >> service is not available". The message does not say which service is
    >> not available. I have to cancel the pop-up window manually.

    > I don't think NET TIME /SET is available unless you have a LAN Server
    > (not Peer) on the network.

    Oh yes it is. Works fine on my Peer network.

  5. Re: CMD and PEER question

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:37:11 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, jch
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am using the following command file to start peer services, log onto
    >> the LAN locally, and set the time on the OS/2 system:
    >> rem Start IBM Peer-to-Peer network
    >> NET START PEER
    >> rem Log on, and verify password locally
    >> LOGON USERID /P:PUT_PASSWORD_HERE /V:L
    >> rem Fetch time from server SERVER and set OS/2 time
    >> NET TIME \\SERVER /SET /YES
    >>
    >> When the system boots up i get a pop-up message saying that "a requested
    >> service is not available". The message does not say which service is
    >> not available. I have to cancel the pop-up window manually. Is there a
    >> standard way to:
    >> a) send the messages from the CMD.EXE processor to the "bit bucket"
    >> (as in Unix > /dev/null), and
    >> b) to prevent the pop-up message box from appearing?

    > Why not run the contents of that command file manually, one by one so
    > that you can see which of them is generating the message. When you
    > find which one it is, try running NET ERROR and see if anything is
    > logged - better yet, run NET ERROR /D to clear the log first so that
    > you can see the wood for the trees.

    > Best thing to do is to solve the original problem not cover up the
    > symptoms.

    Quite right. Find the cause first, then fix it!

    Here goes:
    a) I removed the STARTNET.CMD file from the startup folder, and
    executed each line manually.
    b) Executing "NET START PEER" produced the warning message that said
    "One or more of your shares failed to start". In the "File and Print
    Client Resource Browser" object there were five machines listed, two of
    which were turned off. When i tried to access them, their icons changed
    from gray to white. I deleted them from the folder. I then rebooted
    the system. The warning popped up again.
    c) Executing "LOGON USERID /P:PUT_PASSWORD_HERE /V:L" completed
    normally. It also mapped available shares to drive letters. I set this
    up earlier (setup location is well hidden in the bowels of the system i
    might add).
    d) Set the time 15 minutes away from current time. Executed "NET
    TIME \\SERVER /SET /YES". The system time was correctly reset to the
    time the server provided. The server itself (an OpenBSD box) runs the
    NTPD daemon, and its time is always synchronised with time servers on
    the internet.

    So, basically i get a warning that does no harm, and only arises at boot
    up time. The cause is not worth tracking down further; i just live with
    it since it is only a minor annoyance.

    Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

    / John

    --
    Regards / JCH

  6. Re: CMD and PEER question

    On 08/27/08 01:37 pm, jch wrote:

    > I am using the following command file to start peer services, log onto
    > the LAN locally, and set the time on the OS/2 system:
    > LOGON USERID /P:PUT_PASSWORD_HERE /V:L
    > rem Fetch time from server SERVER and set OS/2 time
    > NET TIME \\SERVER /SET /YES

    Wouldn't you need to log on to the server (/d:) to access its
    services? Does the server even offer a time service? ("net view \\server")

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  7. Re: CMD and PEER question

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:37:11 UTC, jch wrote:

    > When the system boots up i get a pop-up message saying that "a requested
    > service is not available". The message does not say which service is
    > not available. I have to cancel the pop-up window manually. Is there a
    > standard way to:
    > a) send the messages from the CMD.EXE processor to the "bit bucket"
    > (as in Unix > /dev/null), and
    > b) to prevent the pop-up message box from appearing?

    Try editing \IBMLAN\IBMLAN.INI and changing bit 38 of the 'wrkheuristics'
    line to 0.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  8. Re: CMD and PEER question

    Alex Taylor wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:37:11 UTC, jch wrote:
    >
    >> When the system boots up i get a pop-up message saying that "a requested
    >> service is not available". The message does not say which service is
    >> not available. I have to cancel the pop-up window manually. Is there a
    >> standard way to:
    >> a) send the messages from the CMD.EXE processor to the "bit bucket"
    >> (as in Unix > /dev/null), and
    >> b) to prevent the pop-up message box from appearing?

    > Try editing \IBMLAN\IBMLAN.INI and changing bit 38 of the 'wrkheuristics'
    > line to 0.

    _____
    Alex,

    Thanks for this suggestion. The IBMLAN.INI is well documented. I tried
    bit38=0, and bit38=2. No effect for either value. Pop-up still appears.

    / John

    --
    Regards / JCH

  9. Re: CMD and PEER question

    In <1Cntk.227453$gc5.152004@pd7urf2no>, on 08/28/2008
    at 01:57 AM, jch said:

    >So, basically i get a warning that does no harm, and only arises at boot
    >up time. The cause is not worth tracking down further; i just live with
    >it since it is only a minor annoyance.

    I'm not sure if this will avoid the messages you are seeing, but I logon
    first and then issue the other net commands.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00.11.16 BETA #10183

  10. Re: CMD and PEER question

    Steven Levine wrote:
    > In <1Cntk.227453$gc5.152004@pd7urf2no>, on 08/28/2008
    > at 01:57 AM, jch said:
    >
    >> So, basically i get a warning that does no harm, and only arises at boot
    >> up time. The cause is not worth tracking down further; i just live with
    >> it since it is only a minor annoyance.

    > I'm not sure if this will avoid the messages you are seeing, but I logon
    > first and then issue the other net commands.

    _____
    Interesting point! Will change order of commands in startnet.cmd file,
    and try it.

    / John

    --
    Regards / JCH

  11. Re: CMD and PEER question

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:25:22 UTC, jch wrote:

    > Thanks for this suggestion. The IBMLAN.INI is well documented. I tried
    > bit38=0, and bit38=2. No effect for either value. Pop-up still appears.

    You might also look to see which services it's actually trying to start
    ("wrkservices" line). Then delete the ones you don't need.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  12. Re: CMD and PEER question

    jch wrote:
    > Quite right. Find the cause first, then fix it!
    >
    > Here goes:
    > a) I removed the STARTNET.CMD file from the startup folder, and
    > executed each line manually.
    > b) Executing "NET START PEER" produced the warning message that said
    > "One or more of your shares failed to start". In the "File and Print
    > Client Resource Browser" object there were five machines listed, two of

    Looks like you have problems with youre shares, not your connections.
    Are you trying to share something that doesn't exist?

  13. Re: CMD and PEER question

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 09:41:59 +0200, Frank Giessler
    wrote:

    >> b) Executing "NET START PEER" produced the warning message that said
    >> "One or more of your shares failed to start". In the "File and Print
    >> Client Resource Browser" object there were five machines listed, two of

    > Looks like you have problems with youre shares, not your connections.
    > Are you trying to share something that doesn't exist?

    Quite. He needs to look in the "Shared Resources and Network Connections"
    or "Sharing and Connecting" object, depending on which version of OS/2 or eCS
    he's using. On the Shares tab it should be obvious which share hasn't worked.

    This has nothing to do with the original "a requested service is not available"
    message he mentioned originally though.
    As Alex said, that will be something in IBMLAN.INI on the WRKSERVICES or
    SRVSERVICES lines or in the [services] section.
    Maybe he'll post the contents of those lines.

  14. Re: CMD and PEER question

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 09:41:59 +0200, Frank Giessler
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> b) Executing "NET START PEER" produced the warning message that said
    >>> "One or more of your shares failed to start". In the "File and Print
    >>> Client Resource Browser" object there were five machines listed, two of

    >> Looks like you have problems with youre shares, not your connections.
    >> Are you trying to share something that doesn't exist?

    > Quite. He needs to look in the "Shared Resources and Network Connections"
    > or "Sharing and Connecting" object, depending on which version of OS/2 or eCS
    > he's using. On the Shares tab it should be obvious which share hasn't worked.
    >
    > This has nothing to do with the original "a requested service is not available"
    > message he mentioned originally though.
    > As Alex said, that will be something in IBMLAN.INI on the WRKSERVICES or
    > SRVSERVICES lines or in the [services] section.
    > Maybe he'll post the contents of those lines.

    _____
    Paul,

    The pop-up message i asked about is not that big an issue. It occurs
    only at boot time. The IBMLAN.INI file has the "out-of-the-box"
    content. Altering various bits in the WRKSERVICES or SRVSERVICES had no
    effect as i reported earlier. When i open the "Sharing and Connecting"
    object it is initially empty. Within 5 seconds or so the system has
    found some servers, and reports the shares it finds in the icon folder.
    This is the expected behaviour. All machines that are accessible at
    that time are reported correctly.

    / John

    --
    Regards / JCH

  15. Re: CMD and PEER question

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 22:42:37 GMT, jch wrote:

    >> Quite. He needs to look in the "Shared Resources and Network Connections"
    >> or "Sharing and Connecting" object, depending on which version of OS/2 or eCS
    >> he's using. On the Shares tab it should be obvious which share hasn't worked.

    > The pop-up message i asked about is not that big an issue. It occurs
    > only at boot time.
    > When i open the "Sharing and Connecting"
    > object it is initially empty. Within 5 seconds or so the system has
    > found some servers, and reports the shares it finds in the icon folder.

    You are describing the Resource Browser. This is NOT the same as the object
    I mentioned above, which opens a Properties notebook containing tabs such as
    Connections, Shares, Permissions, Users, Groups etc. (if you're logged on
    as an Admin. user).

    > The IBMLAN.INI file has the "out-of-the-box" content. Altering various
    > bits in the WRKSERVICES or SRVSERVICES had no effect as i reported earlier.

    Something must be causing this message. A normal system does not do it.

  16. Re: CMD and PEER question

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

    > You are describing the Resource Browser. This is NOT the same as the object
    > I mentioned above, which opens a Properties notebook containing tabs such as
    > Connections, Shares, Permissions, Users, Groups etc. (if you're logged on
    > as an Admin. user).
    >
    >> The IBMLAN.INI file has the "out-of-the-box" content. Altering various
    >> bits in the WRKSERVICES or SRVSERVICES had no effect as i reported earlier.

    > Something must be causing this message. A normal system does not do it.

    _____
    Paul,

    My system is as "normal" as they come; plus i found the problem!

    a) Powered down both samba servers. Pop-up message still appeared.
    Therefore, problem was likely in OS/2 box itself.

    b) Had another look at how my shares were set up on the OS/2 box.
    Deleted a share entry that was pointing to the desktop on drive C:. Set
    C:\ directories as READ ONLY share, and E:\ directories as READ/WRITE
    share.

    c) Upon reboot, all worked well; no pop-up messages appeared.

    So, i had mis-configured something in the shares entry on the OS/2
    machine itself; user error!! Not having good documentation is an issue.
    The on-board help is not always enough.

    / John

    --
    Regards / JCH