HPFS plus JFS - OS2

This is a discussion on HPFS plus JFS - OS2 ; Marc Lewis wrote: > 1. Can I boot from an HPFS partition and have other partitions > on the machine be JFS? Yes. > 1A. I presume one cannot boot a JFS drive; correct? No. Some eCS Version can boot ...

  1. Re: HPFS plus JFS

    Marc Lewis wrote:
    > 1. Can I boot from an HPFS partition and have other partitions
    > on the machine be JFS?

    Yes.

    > 1A. I presume one cannot boot a JFS drive; correct?

    No. Some eCS Version can boot from JFS. I don't remember whether it is
    eCS 2.0 or some earlier versions too.

    > 2. What are the negative effects (if any) of this combination?

    You need more memory for the drivers and the cache. (The latter is a
    real advantage unless you use HPFS386.)

    > 3. I presume that JFS handles large (in excess of 64GB)
    > partitions.(?)

    It handles any size that the existing DASD drivers can handle.

    > 4. What happens during boot when the machine does an
    > auto-chkdsk? Does OS/2 also check the JFS drives?

    That depends on your setting in the CONFIG.SYS.
    I prefer to check only the boot drive automatically. All other volumes
    are checked from the startup.cmd script in parallel by one task per
    physical disk. This is many times faster, even with JFS.

    > 5. Can an HPFS drive be converted to JFS with something like
    > DFSee?

    Not that I know.

    > Or should I move all the data off and then convert it?

    I would prefer that anyway. What if the tool does something wrong and
    you realize it not until some years later as data damage to some rarely
    used files.

    > 6. Where does if IFS statement go in the config.sys? Before or
    > after the HPFS statement?

    That makes no difference. Only the Unicode drivers have to be loaded
    before JFS.

    Marcel

  2. Re: HPFS plus JFS

    On 08/23/08 05:50 pm, Marc Lewis wrote:
    > + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    > Hello all.
    >
    > A few questions:
    >
    > 1. Can I boot from an HPFS partition and have other partitions
    > on the machine be JFS?

    Yes

    > 1A. I presume one cannot boot a JFS drive; correct?

    eCS ver 2 (in beta) now has bootable JFS

    > 2. What are the negative effects (if any) of this combination?

    Uses slightly more memory

    > 3. I presume that JFS handles large (in excess of 64GB)
    > partitions.(?)

    Yes, also large (in excess of 2 GB) files.

    > 4. What happens during boot when the machine does an
    > auto-chkdsk? Does OS/2 also check the JFS drives?

    As long as you have config.sys setup right the JFS drives get chkdsked.
    I have mine slightly wrong and they get chkdsked every boot, it is so
    quick that I don't worry about fixing it.

    > 5. Can an HPFS drive be converted to JFS with something like
    > DFSee? Or should I move all the data off and then convert it?

    As far as I know you have to reformat the partition. It is good to move
    everything now and again with xcopy to clear up defragmentation anyways.
    (while HPFS and JFS resist fragmentation they do fragment over time)

    > 6. Where does if IFS statement go in the config.sys? Before or
    > after the HPFS statement?

    After the HPFS statement so the boot drive starts working first.

    > Thanks in advance!!
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Marc

    Dave

  3. Re: HPFS plus JFS

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:42:26 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:

    > > 6. Where does if IFS statement go in the config.sys? Before or
    > > after the HPFS statement?

    > After the HPFS statement so the boot drive starts working first.

    That is not correct. The JFS statement should go _before_ the HPFS
    statement, otherwise the IBM locked file device driver (if ever used)
    tends to blow up.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  4. Re: HPFS plus JFS

    On 08/23/08 09:14 pm, Alex Taylor wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:42:26 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:
    >
    >>> 6. Where does if IFS statement go in the config.sys? Before or
    >>> after the HPFS statement?

    >> After the HPFS statement so the boot drive starts working first.

    > That is not correct. The JFS statement should go _before_ the HPFS
    > statement, otherwise the IBM locked file device driver (if ever used)
    > tends to blow up.

    Interesting, I thought the advice for the locked device driver was to
    always have HPFS at the top of config.sys. Of course that advice comes
    from before JFS was released.
    Dave

  5. HPFS plus JFS

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello all.

    A few questions:

    1. Can I boot from an HPFS partition and have other partitions
    on the machine be JFS?

    1A. I presume one cannot boot a JFS drive; correct?

    2. What are the negative effects (if any) of this combination?

    3. I presume that JFS handles large (in excess of 64GB)
    partitions.(?)

    4. What happens during boot when the machine does an
    auto-chkdsk? Does OS/2 also check the JFS drives?

    5. Can an HPFS drive be converted to JFS with something like
    DFSee? Or should I move all the data off and then convert it?

    6. Where does if IFS statement go in the config.sys? Before or
    after the HPFS statement?

    Thanks in advance!!

    Best regards,
    Marc
    -+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  6. Re: HPFS plus JFS

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello all.

    Re: HPFS plus JFS >

    > > 6. Where does if IFS statement go in the config.sys?
    > > Before or after the HPFS statement?

    > After the HPFS statement so the boot drive starts working
    > first.

    AT> That is not correct. The JFS statement should go _before_
    AT> the HPFS statement, otherwise the IBM locked file device
    AT> driver (if ever used) tends to blow up.

    Thank you, Alex. Your insight is valuable as the suggested
    "HPFS first" order would normally seem logical... Until such
    time as a fixpak or something that uses that locked file driver
    comes along.

    Be well.

    Best regards,
    Marc
    -+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +

+ Reply to Thread