Shells - OS2

This is a discussion on Shells - OS2 ; Would the differences between cmd.exe and pmshell.exe (I don't know what they are) account for a cli application running or failing?...

  1. Shells

    Would the differences between cmd.exe and pmshell.exe (I don't know what
    they are) account for a cli application running or failing?

  2. Re: Shells

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 01:02:22 UTC, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:

    > Would the differences between cmd.exe and pmshell.exe (I don't know what
    > they are)

    They are completely different things. CMD.EXE is the thing that usually
    runs VIO windows while PMSHELL.EXE is the program that starts the WPS.

    ?
    --
    Greetings, | My From: address is valid as is the version without "spam"
    Peter. | I try to find real messages among the spam once a week

  3. Re: Shells

    Hi,

    Peter Weilbacher schrieb:
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 01:02:22 UTC, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    >
    >> Would the differences between cmd.exe and pmshell.exe (I don't know what
    >> they are)

    > They are completely different things. CMD.EXE is the thing that usually
    > runs VIO windows while PMSHELL.EXE is the program that starts the WPS.

    PROTSHELL=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE starts PM
    Only if SET RUNWORKPLACE=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE is done then WPS will start.

    If not then the programme from statement SET OS2_SHELL=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE
    (normally the OS/2 command processor) should be executed. Additionally
    there could be a batchfile STARTUP.CMD started.

    It's possible to set RUNWORKPLACE=\PATH\TO\WEBBROWSER.EXE for a simple
    kiosk system.

    Regards,
    Andreas Kohl

  4. Re: Shells

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 01:02:22 GMT, johnsuth@nospam.com.au
    wrote:

    > Would the differences between cmd.exe and pmshell.exe (I don't know what
    > they are) account for a cli application running or failing?

    Cryptic questions get cryptic answers.

+ Reply to Thread