HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed? - OS2

This is a discussion on HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed? - OS2 ; Does anyone here recall about the number of MB needed for the boot drive to convert from Warp 4 to MCP1? In this particular case it looks like I've got about 350MB for sure, could work out more I'm pretty ...

  1. HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    Does anyone here recall about the number of MB needed for the boot drive to
    convert from Warp 4 to MCP1? In this particular case it looks like I've got
    about 350MB for sure, could work out more I'm pretty sure by shuffling things
    out of the way, but just wanted a remember guess or so.

    Thanks.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  2. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    Mike Luther wrote:
    > Does anyone here recall about the number of MB needed for the boot drive
    > to convert from Warp 4 to MCP1? In this particular case it looks like
    > I've got about 350MB for sure, could work out more I'm pretty sure by
    > shuffling things out of the way, but just wanted a remember guess or so.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Don't remember how much more it took, but with MCP1 installed, it takes
    up about 642M. There are a couple of other things loaded into the
    drive, around 10M or so (amouse, gs, snap, etc.). I don't recall it
    needing much more than what it's final footprint is during the install,
    though I've always had the boot drive in a 5G partition. I do remember
    there was a little pain and never updated to MCP2.

    Mike

    --
    --- Michael G. Slack (remove '_'s to reply) ---

  3. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:57:15 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Mike Luther
    wrote:

    > Does anyone here recall about the number of MB needed for the boot drive to
    > convert from Warp 4 to MCP1? In this particular case it looks like I've got
    > about 350MB for sure, could work out more I'm pretty sure by shuffling things
    > out of the way, but just wanted a remember guess or so.

    My ACP1 install takes up 404MB and I would expect MCP1 to be smaller.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  4. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    Mike Luther wrote:
    > Does anyone here recall about the number of MB needed for the boot drive
    > to convert from Warp 4 to MCP1? In this particular case it looks like
    > I've got about 350MB for sure, could work out more I'm pretty sure by
    > shuffling things out of the way, but just wanted a remember guess or so.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I installed MCP2 on a 1G partition C:. During installation I put
    Netscape on drive E: After installation I uninstalled java 118. I
    installed java 131 on drive e:. the archive and backup files are on
    drive c:.

    OS/2=C:\>dir c: /s
    snip
    Total files listed:
    8984 file(s) 339174194 bytes used
    691291648 bytes free

    OS/2=C:\>dir c:\fix_pak /s
    snip
    Total files listed:
    431 file(s) 24213019 bytes used
    691291648 bytes free

  5. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    On 2008/08/16 03:57 (GMT) Mike Luther apparently typed:

    > Does anyone here recall about the number of MB needed for the boot drive to
    > convert from Warp 4 to MCP1? In this particular case it looks like I've got
    > about 350MB for sure, could work out more I'm pretty sure by shuffling things
    > out of the way, but just wanted a remember guess or so.

    My eCS 1.1FP4 system lives on a 800M F: partition and has about 32%
    freespace. Most apps & data are on other partitions.
    --
    "Love is not easily angered. Love does not demand
    its own way." 1 Corinthians 13:5 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

    Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

  6. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:57:15 UTC, Mike Luther
    wrote:

    > Does anyone here recall about the number of MB needed for the boot drive to
    > convert from Warp 4 to MCP1? In this particular case it looks like I've got
    > about 350MB for sure, could work out more I'm pretty sure by shuffling things
    > out of the way, but just wanted a remember guess or so.
    >
    > Thanks.

    WARP up to 4.50 was happy with 350 MB system drive
    MCP and eCS up to 1.1 needs 500 MB minimum. eCS 1.2x loves to see 1
    GB. eCS 2.0 loves 1.5 - 2.0GB for a full install.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  7. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    Herbert Rosenau wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:57:15 UTC, Mike Luther
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone here recall about the number of MB needed for the boot drive to
    >> convert from Warp 4 to MCP1? In this particular case it looks like I've got
    >> about 350MB for sure, could work out more I'm pretty sure by shuffling things
    >> out of the way, but just wanted a remember guess or so.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > WARP up to 4.50 was happy with 350 MB system drive
    > MCP and eCS up to 1.1 needs 500 MB minimum. eCS 1.2x loves to see 1
    > GB. eCS 2.0 loves 1.5 - 2.0GB for a full install.

    ? "Loves"....? You mean...?

    Here ECS 2.0 rc5 with everything selected in the 1st phase ("a full
    install" I'd say) installed quite OK on a 850 MB partition.
    Even after adding a few extra programs and using it for 2 weeks there's
    still 200 MB free.

    Sure, that by itself doesn't ensure that 650 MB should do for an ECS 2.0
    boot partition.
    But given the original subject I'd be interested to learn why the extra
    1+ GB you suggest is needed *on a boot partition*.

  8. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:54:40 UTC, "Herbert Rosenau"
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:57:15 UTC, Mike Luther
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone here recall about the number of MB needed for the boot drive to
    > > convert from Warp 4 to MCP1? In this particular case it looks like I've got
    > > about 350MB for sure, could work out more I'm pretty sure by shuffling things
    > > out of the way, but just wanted a remember guess or so.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > WARP up to 4.50 was happy with 350 MB system drive
    > MCP and eCS up to 1.1 needs 500 MB minimum. eCS 1.2x loves to see 1
    > GB. eCS 2.0 loves 1.5 - 2.0GB for a full install.

    It appears that eCS is bloating up like doze. I suppose its acting/looking
    more like doze also, though I haven't seen anything past 1.1 (didn't like
    the interface and it seemed then like it was trying to be more doze-like).
    Guess I'll be with Warp4 until it can't run anymore.

  9. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:44:43 UTC, "Eye Pikm" wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:54:40 UTC, "Herbert Rosenau"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:57:15 UTC, Mike Luther
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does anyone here recall about the number of MB needed for the boot drive to
    > > > convert from Warp 4 to MCP1? In this particular case it looks like I've got
    > > > about 350MB for sure, could work out more I'm pretty sure by shuffling things
    > > > out of the way, but just wanted a remember guess or so.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.
    > > >

    > > WARP up to 4.50 was happy with 350 MB system drive
    > > MCP and eCS up to 1.1 needs 500 MB minimum. eCS 1.2x loves to see 1
    > > GB. eCS 2.0 loves 1.5 - 2.0GB for a full install.
    > >

    > It appears that eCS is bloating up like doze. I suppose its acting/looking
    > more like doze also, though I haven't seen anything past 1.1 (didn't like
    > the interface and it seemed then like it was trying to be more doze-like).
    > Guess I'll be with Warp4 until it can't run anymore.

    I don't think so. I for now have got two 2.0 GiB volumes for two eCS
    2.0 installs, but it was my choice: last eCS 1.2MR install was on a
    700 MiB volume (guess why :-)) and worked flawlessly. I think that
    also eCS 2.0 does not need much more than 800 MiB, which means that
    you can build a bootable recovery CD easily. The difference with 'doze
    XP or (worse than ever) Vista is so big I would not mind.

    Mentore

  10. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    Hi Eye

    Eye Pikm wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:54:40 UTC, "Herbert Rosenau"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:57:15 UTC, Mike Luther
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone here recall about the number of MB needed for the boot drive to
    >>> convert from Warp 4 to MCP1? In this particular case it looks like I've got
    >>> about 350MB for sure, could work out more I'm pretty sure by shuffling things
    >>> out of the way, but just wanted a remember guess or so.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> WARP up to 4.50 was happy with 350 MB system drive
    >> MCP and eCS up to 1.1 needs 500 MB minimum. eCS 1.2x loves to see 1
    >> GB. eCS 2.0 loves 1.5 - 2.0GB for a full install.
    >>

    > It appears that eCS is bloating up like doze. I suppose its acting/looking
    > more like doze also, though I haven't seen anything past 1.1 (didn't like
    > the interface and it seemed then like it was trying to be more doze-like).
    > Guess I'll be with Warp4 until it can't run anymore.

    eCS is basically OS/2 Warp4 MCP plus a few extra bits so has options not
    available during a Warp4 install. The more options you pick the more
    space you need. Of course, you do not have to install the options to the
    boot drive - or at all.

    So, the "bloat" is whatever options *you* choose to install.

    Regarding the Interface I guess you must be talking about the Default
    eCS interface, eWorkplace, which is, basically, xWorkplace.

    I'm not that keen on xWorkplace but other people seem to like it...

    You may be interested to know that you can decide to use a Warp4 or
    eCS1.0 interface (slightly tarted up Warp4) instead of the Default.

    I tend to prefer the eCs1.0 interface myself :-)

    Hope that clears up some possible misconceptions.

    Regards

    Pete

  11. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:44:43 UTC, "Eye Pikm" wrote:

    > > WARP up to 4.50 was happy with 350 MB system drive
    > > MCP and eCS up to 1.1 needs 500 MB minimum. eCS 1.2x loves to see 1
    > > GB. eCS 2.0 loves 1.5 - 2.0GB for a full install.
    > >

    > It appears that eCS is bloating up like doze. I suppose its acting/looking
    > more like doze also, though I haven't seen anything past 1.1 (didn't like
    > the interface and it seemed then like it was trying to be more doze-like).
    > Guess I'll be with Warp4 until it can't run anymore.

    eCS can easily install in 500 MB, same as MCP2. IIRC, the only significant
    extras it installs by default, space-wise, are Firefox and Thunderbird.

    As for the interface, it's 100% optional. You can install eCS to look
    (in fact, be) exactly the same as MCP2 if you like. Obviously, you have
    to use the "advanced" install, but frankly, "easy" install is only
    intended for complete novices (and the people who write OS reviews).

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  12. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 23:32:24 UTC, Philip Nienhuis
    wrote:

    > Herbert Rosenau wrote:
    > > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:57:15 UTC, Mike Luther
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Does anyone here recall about the number of MB needed for the boot drive to
    > >> convert from Warp 4 to MCP1? In this particular case it looks like I've got
    > >> about 350MB for sure, could work out more I'm pretty sure by shuffling things
    > >> out of the way, but just wanted a remember guess or so.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >>

    > > WARP up to 4.50 was happy with 350 MB system drive
    > > MCP and eCS up to 1.1 needs 500 MB minimum. eCS 1.2x loves to see 1
    > > GB. eCS 2.0 loves 1.5 - 2.0GB for a full install.

    > ? "Loves"....? You mean...?

    Immediately after instll it may requre lots of dispace less. But the
    default settings for temp, tmp, spool, swapper.dat, logs are all
    poining to the boot drive. And more and more programs are not able to
    remove they places in temp, none shortes theyr log files, so the used
    space increases quicky. Look on, even the defaults for mozilla_home
    and so on are set to that drive.

    > Here ECS 2.0 rc5 with everything selected in the 1st phase ("a full
    > install" I'd say) installed quite OK on a 850 MB partition.
    > Even after adding a few extra programs and using it for 2 weeks there's
    > still 200 MB free.

    A migration will use during the migration process a lot more disk
    space.

    > Sure, that by itself doesn't ensure that 650 MB should do for an ECS 2.0
    > boot partition.
    > But given the original subject I'd be interested to learn why the extra
    > 1+ GB you suggest is needed *on a boot partition*.

    By that I think that today 1 GB more or less on volume size doesn't
    matter - except 4 KB too less on that volume ends up in errors, may
    end in unwanted rebootsor even in system crash, lost of ini files or
    other unwanted behavior. At least RC5 is not GA.

    Have you ever tried to print mass of PDF, big graphics and so in a
    short frequence with a slow printer? the spool directory grows quickly
    but shrinks slowly. It stops shrinking eassy when the printer goes out
    of paper, or other resources like ink or toner while you are busy to
    feed it with documents.

    Not anyboty is trained in to install apps not on the boot drive - and
    may of them defaults exactly to that.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  13. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 21:06:21 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > Hi Eye
    >
    > Eye Pikm wrote:
    > > On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:54:40 UTC, "Herbert Rosenau"
    > > wrote:

    > >> WARP up to 4.50 was happy with 350 MB system drive
    > >> MCP and eCS up to 1.1 needs 500 MB minimum. eCS 1.2x loves to see 1
    > >> GB. eCS 2.0 loves 1.5 - 2.0GB for a full install.
    > >>

    > > It appears that eCS is bloating up like doze. I suppose its acting/looking
    > > more like doze also, though I haven't seen anything past 1.1 (didn't like
    > > the interface and it seemed then like it was trying to be more doze-like).
    > > Guess I'll be with Warp4 until it can't run anymore.
    > >

    > eCS is basically OS/2 Warp4 MCP plus a few extra bits so has options not
    > available during a Warp4 install. The more options you pick the more
    > space you need. Of course, you do not have to install the options to the
    > boot drive - or at all.
    >
    > So, the "bloat" is whatever options *you* choose to install.
    >

    > Regarding the Interface I guess you must be talking about the Default
    > eCS interface, eWorkplace, which is, basically, xWorkplace.
    >
    > I'm not that keen on xWorkplace but other people seem to like it...
    >
    > You may be interested to know that you can decide to use a Warp4 or
    > eCS1.0 interface (slightly tarted up Warp4) instead of the Default.
    >
    > I tend to prefer the eCs1.0 interface myself :-)
    >

    > Hope that clears up some possible misconceptions.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    I have no misconceptions about eCS itself. the options one chooses to
    install default to the boot drive. that equals doze mentality. yes, I know
    one change where these can be installed, its just the doze mentality I'm
    opposed to. Been a long time since looking at eCS, but I seem to remember
    it putting a folder on the desktop aka doze 'my documents'. correct me if
    I'm wrong. Couple of other things I didn't like, but can't remember what.

    As for XWorkplace, I've been using it since ver 1.0.2 and I like most
    features it brings. My biggest dislike is the doze-like 400 mouse clicks
    (extreme exaggeration) to shut down the friggin' machine. 'Are you sure you
    want to do this or that'. "No, I clicked on shut down cause I wanted the
    machine to sprout wings and fly away."
    I did fix that with an icon on the tray that goes directly to shutdown.cmd.

    Sorry to sound like I'm in a tizzy. I've been manually transfering most of
    an XP system from one HD to a new machine for my landlady (80 yrs. old). No
    real organization, files everywhere (kinda like the OS files), and of
    course no back ups. can't boot the old HD, fried motherboard. the heatsink
    clamp sprung and landed on the mb. Old HD is eide, new machine is all sata.
    what a mess. the first thing I had to do, was to delete the preinstalled
    vista and upgrade to xp. Almost finished and I'm not going to go through
    this again, so I'm setting her up with automatic registry back up on every
    boot and whole drive back up on every shutdown.

  14. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 04:12:02 UTC, "Alex Taylor"
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:44:43 UTC, "Eye Pikm" wrote:
    >
    > > > WARP up to 4.50 was happy with 350 MB system drive
    > > > MCP and eCS up to 1.1 needs 500 MB minimum. eCS 1.2x loves to see 1
    > > > GB. eCS 2.0 loves 1.5 - 2.0GB for a full install.
    > > >

    > > It appears that eCS is bloating up like doze. I suppose its acting/looking
    > > more like doze also, though I haven't seen anything past 1.1 (didn't like
    > > the interface and it seemed then like it was trying to be more doze-like).
    > > Guess I'll be with Warp4 until it can't run anymore.

    > eCS can easily install in 500 MB, same as MCP2. IIRC, the only significant
    > extras it installs by default, space-wise, are Firefox and Thunderbird.
    >
    > As for the interface, it's 100% optional. You can install eCS to look
    > (in fact, be) exactly the same as MCP2 if you like. Obviously, you have
    > to use the "advanced" install, but frankly, "easy" install is only
    > intended for complete novices (and the people who write OS reviews).

    You mean there's something other than advanced install Frankly, I just
    don't remember that option. Or maybe it still installed some eCS folders or
    some such thing. Nice to hear that they are not bloating. I guess the idea
    of the OS on one partition and apps on another, is still a prudent one with
    me. The only extras on my boot partition are Amouse, Snap, the Innotek
    stuf, and XWorkplace. Oh, and Warpin also. To me those are intragal enough
    to reside on the boot partition. Apps have their own partition, and then
    the data partitions. Boot drive uses less than 600 megs and zips up nicely
    into about 200 megs.

  15. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 04:54:38 GMT, Eye Pikm wrote:

    > As for XWorkplace, I've been using it since ver 1.0.2 and I like most
    > features it brings. My biggest dislike is the doze-like 400 mouse clicks
    > (extreme exaggeration) to shut down the friggin' machine. 'Are you sure you
    > want to do this or that'. "No, I clicked on shut down cause I wanted the
    > machine to sprout wings and fly away."
    > I did fix that with an icon on the tray that goes directly to shutdown.cmd.

    It's hardly difficult to turn off the "Show this message next time" option
    is it? After that it doesn't prompt at all. You don't need any batch files.

  16. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:03:20 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 04:54:38 GMT, Eye Pikm wrote:
    >
    > > As for XWorkplace, I've been using it since ver 1.0.2 and I like most
    > > features it brings. My biggest dislike is the doze-like 400 mouse clicks
    > > (extreme exaggeration) to shut down the friggin' machine. 'Are you sure you
    > > want to do this or that'. "No, I clicked on shut down cause I wanted the
    > > machine to sprout wings and fly away."
    > > I did fix that with an icon on the tray that goes directly to shutdown.cmd.

    > It's hardly difficult to turn off the "Show this message next time" option
    > is it? After that it doesn't prompt at all. You don't need any batch files.

    Do you still have to click on the X-Button first? Another 'I can't remember
    cause its been so long.' And was the "Show this message next time" option
    in earlier versions? My old settings keep rolling over with an update to
    each new version. If so, then it must have been having to click on X-Button
    first to get to shut down. Sorry, but I just despise un-necessary mouse
    clicks and having to jump through hoops to perform simple tasks. As I'm set
    up now, two mouse clicks gets me to any folder on any drive in my system
    and over 90% of the files. A third click gets to the rest. then of course
    there's the one click objects also, which in my thinking is what shutdown
    should be.

  17. Re: HD Space from Warp 4 to MCP1 needed?

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 05:22:58 UTC, "Eye Pikm" wrote:

    > You mean there's something other than advanced install Frankly, I just
    > don't remember that option. Or maybe it still installed some eCS folders
    > or some such thing. Nice to hear that they are not bloating. I guess the
    > idea of the OS on one partition and apps on another, is still a prudent
    > one with me. The only extras on my boot partition are Amouse, Snap, the
    > Innotek stuf, and XWorkplace. Oh, and Warpin also. To me those are
    > intragal enough to reside on the boot partition. Apps have their own
    > partition, and then the data partitions. Boot drive uses less than 600
    > megs and zips up nicely into about 200 megs.

    Most users would agree with you. We (eCS developers) certainly do; we
    recommend putting all your apps on a different drive.

    The only reason things default to the boot drive is because the installer
    has no way of telepathically determining which partition you'd prefer to
    install them onto.

    It's kind of a pain to change them all, but we're no happier about that
    than you are. It's a limitation of the install program which is very
    difficult to change without massively redesigning it. (Which is being
    worked on, but it's not ready yet.)

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan