Ethernet drivers? - OS2

This is a discussion on Ethernet drivers? - OS2 ; How do I find out what drivers and configuration changes are needed to set up the built-in "integrated 10/100 Ethernet" interface on my Dell Dimension B110? The machine now runs PPP/dialup, so the basic TCP/IP system is OK but I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

  1. Ethernet drivers?

    How do I find out what drivers and configuration changes are needed to set
    up the built-in "integrated 10/100 Ethernet" interface on my Dell
    Dimension B110?

    The machine now runs PPP/dialup, so the basic TCP/IP system is OK but I
    have no clue how to find out whether the built-in Ethernet port is
    detected automatically or not, and the documentation (skimpy and Windows-
    only) is no help. There is only OS/2-eCS on this machine, but I do have a
    bootable Ubuntu CD.

    Thanks,

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com

  2. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > How do I find out what drivers and configuration changes are needed to set
    > up the built-in "integrated 10/100 Ethernet" interface on my Dell
    > Dimension B110?

    From a quick search, it seems to be an intel/100
    If this is correct, you could find the driver here:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-54084.html

    piersante

  3. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:31:35 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre
    Jelenc) wrote:

    > How do I find out what drivers and configuration changes are needed to set
    > up the built-in "integrated 10/100 Ethernet" interface on my Dell
    > Dimension B110?

    Grab pci104vka.zip from hobbes and run pci.exe and it will tell you what make
    and model the ethernet chip is. Then you can search for the right network card
    drivers for that chip.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  4. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    Trevor Hemsley writes:

    > Grab pci104vka.zip from hobbes and run pci.exe and it will tell you what make
    > and model the ethernet chip is. Then you can search for the right network card
    > drivers for that chip.

    Thanks. It tells me it is Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection.

    I can see drivers that may well be the right ones, but they have problems.

    intel-100-1000.zip from Hobbes appears to contain the driver.

    (etht1uds.exe suggested by piesse in another post requires a 3.5" floppy
    drive. I don't have a floppy drive so I don't know what's in that file...)

    What else do I need to be aware of? All I want is the ability to connect
    to a Broadxent 8120 Router (Covad/Verizon) and get TCP/IP just as I do
    with my current PPP. No LAN or wireless anything. I also need to be
    confident that I can switch back to PPP in an emergency. Is there some
    place where I can read about that at absolute beginner level?

    Thanks again.

    Pierre

    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    The NYC Beer Guide www.nycbeer.org

  5. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    On 08/15/08 08:56 pm, Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > (etht1uds.exe suggested by piesse in another post requires a 3.5" floppy
    > drive. I don't have a floppy drive so I don't know what's in that file...)

    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...s/vfdisk30.zip will
    give you a virtual floppy drive. Nice for things that want to unpack to
    a floppy.
    Dave

  6. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:56:05 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre
    Jelenc) wrote:

    > What else do I need to be aware of? All I want is the ability to connect
    > to a Broadxent 8120 Router (Covad/Verizon) and get TCP/IP just as I do
    > with my current PPP. No LAN or wireless anything.

    I think you'll be fine. Dialup should just work and should also override any LAN
    settings while it's active.

    What you need to do is unzip the drivers to your hard disk and then fire up
    MPTS. Up the top left there is a button to add an adapter, click that and point
    it to the pro100\os2 subdirectory of where ever you unzipped intel-100-1000.zip.
    That should add the adapter to the list that you can select. There is a bug in
    some versions of MPTS that means the newly added adapter does not appear in the
    list until you exit and go back in so you might need to go out of the MPTS
    config screen and then re-enter it.

    Once the adapter is added to the list you need to add the IBM TCP/IP protocol to
    the adapter then save it all and exit. You probably then have to reboot and then
    run tcpcfg2 or tcpcfg (depends which release of TCP/IP you have installed) and
    configure lan0 with either a fixed IP address or to pick up an address via dhcp.

    This was all from memory so it may be that the steps you need are slightly
    different but it should give you an idea.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  7. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:

    > (etht1uds.exe suggested by piesse in another post requires a 3.5" floppy
    > drive. I don't have a floppy drive so I don't know what's in that file...)

    disclaimer: the link was the first in the results of a quick google
    search and I haven't actually seen the files. The page title mentions
    OS/2, but then labels the drivers as "for DOS", so there might be
    better souces.

    Piersante

  8. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    Trevor Hemsley writes:

    > What you need to do is unzip the drivers to your hard disk and then fire up
    > MPTS. Up the top left there is a button to add an adapter, click that and point
    > it to the pro100\os2 subdirectory of where ever you unzipped intel-100-1000.zip.
    > That should add the adapter to the list that you can select. There is a bug in
    > some versions of MPTS that means the newly added adapter does not appear in the
    > list until you exit and go back in so you might need to go out of the MPTS
    > config screen and then re-enter it.

    OK, did that --I think-- although the steps were quite different, and
    different too from those outlined in the driver's instructions. I kept
    screen captures along the way just in case.

    > Once the adapter is added to the list you need to add the IBM TCP/IP protocol to
    > the adapter then save it all and exit.

    Did that, and TCP/IP clearly was added to that adapter as "1-IBM TCP/IP".
    However, above it there is "IBM NULL MAC Driver" with the following
    protocols (and note the different numbers):
    1-IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
    0-IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
    0-IBM TCP/IP

    Do I need the others two as well (and why these 1 or 0)?

    Config.sys was modified more than I expected, with some things added, but
    also some blocks moved to other locations.

    > You probably then have to reboot and then run tcpcfg2 or tcpcfg
    > (depends which release of TCP/IP you have installed) and
    > configure lan0 with either a fixed IP address or to pick up an
    > address via dhcp.

    Rebooted, and something seemed to happen as it took a while for the boot
    manager to come up.

    Ran tcpcfg2 and lan0 was already set for DHCP. There was also the expected
    loopback, but shouldn't there be a PPP0 as well when PPP is used?

    In any case, now the problem is that the DSL does not seem to be working.
    Namely, I followed the instruction installations of the router (which
    turned out to be a Netopia 2247NWG-T instead of the one I had selected) up
    until the point where the steady DSL green light comes up. However, when I
    start my browser (SeaMonkey or FireFox) nothing happens even if I type in
    the 192.168.1.1 address and try to reload the page. After a short while,
    the "Internet" light next to the "DSL" one turns red.

    PPP still works, thankfully, but is there a way to test whether the
    Ethernet port is set up properly?

    Thanks,

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    The NYC Beer Guide www.nycbeer.org

  9. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 00:24:24 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre
    Jelenc) wrote:

    > Did that, and TCP/IP clearly was added to that adapter as "1-IBM TCP/IP".
    > However, above it there is "IBM NULL MAC Driver" with the following
    > protocols (and note the different numbers):
    > 1-IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
    > 0-IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
    > 0-IBM TCP/IP
    >
    > Do I need the others two as well (and why these 1 or 0)?

    The Null MAC driver is a bodge to allow networking protocols to be added even on
    machines that currently have no network card. I think it's added by the OS/2
    install when you tell it that you want various networking functions installed
    but it can't find a card to use for it. NetBIOS and NetBIOS over TCPIP are used
    for Windows-type sharing of network drives. It's a requirement of MPTS that the
    protocol numbers be different for the two types of NetBIOS protocols that can be
    added hence why one is 0 and the other 1.

    > Config.sys was modified more than I expected, with some things added, but
    > also some blocks moved to other locations.
    >
    > > You probably then have to reboot and then run tcpcfg2 or tcpcfg
    > > (depends which release of TCP/IP you have installed) and
    > > configure lan0 with either a fixed IP address or to pick up an
    > > address via dhcp.

    > Rebooted, and something seemed to happen as it took a while for the boot
    > manager to come up

    I doubt if the appearance of boot manager would be delayed by whatever you did
    since that is loaded by the BIOS after POST.

    > Ran tcpcfg2 and lan0 was already set for DHCP. There was also the expected
    > loopback, but shouldn't there be a PPP0 as well when PPP is used?

    It lists only ethernet and localhost adapters.

    > In any case, now the problem is that the DSL does not seem to be working.
    > Namely, I followed the instruction installations of the router (which
    > turned out to be a Netopia 2247NWG-T instead of the one I had selected) up
    > until the point where the steady DSL green light comes up. However, when I
    > start my browser (SeaMonkey or FireFox) nothing happens even if I type in
    > the 192.168.1.1 address and try to reload the page. After a short while,
    > the "Internet" light next to the "DSL" one turns red.
    >
    > PPP still works, thankfully, but is there a way to test whether the
    > Ethernet port is set up properly?

    Look in \ibmcom\lantran.log and see what you have listed there.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  10. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 00:24:24 UTC, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) wrote:

    > > Once the adapter is added to the list you need to add the IBM TCP/IP
    > > protocol to the adapter then save it all and exit.

    > Did that, and TCP/IP clearly was added to that adapter as "1-IBM TCP/IP".
    > However, above it there is "IBM NULL MAC Driver" with the following
    > protocols (and note the different numbers):

    OK, you want to fix that. Go back into MPTS, delete the separate entry for
    the Intel NIC, then select the NULL MAC driver and use the "change" button
    to change it to the aforementioned Intel driver.

    That way you will have only one network adapter defined (the correct one).

    > 1-IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
    > 0-IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
    > 0-IBM TCP/IP
    >
    > Do I need the others two as well (and why these 1 or 0)?

    Only if you plan to use LAN-based file and printer sharing (a.k.a. Peer).

    > > You probably then have to reboot and then run tcpcfg2 or tcpcfg
    > > (depends which release of TCP/IP you have installed) and
    > > configure lan0 with either a fixed IP address or to pick up an
    > > address via dhcp.

    > Rebooted, and something seemed to happen as it took a while for the boot
    > manager to come up.
    >
    > Ran tcpcfg2 and lan0 was already set for DHCP. There was also the expected
    > loopback, but shouldn't there be a PPP0 as well when PPP is used?
    >
    > In any case, now the problem is that the DSL does not seem to be working.
    > Namely, I followed the instruction installations of the router (which
    > turned out to be a Netopia 2247NWG-T instead of the one I had selected) up
    > until the point where the steady DSL green light comes up. However, when I
    > start my browser (SeaMonkey or FireFox) nothing happens even if I type in
    > the 192.168.1.1 address and try to reload the page. After a short while,
    > the "Internet" light next to the "DSL" one turns red.
    >
    > PPP still works, thankfully, but is there a way to test whether the
    > Ethernet port is set up properly?

    If DHCP is trying to use lan0 (the "dummy" NIC) then no, it probably won't
    work... once you make the change as I described above, lan0 should point to
    the real NIC.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  11. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 00:24:24 UTC, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) wrote:

    > In any case, now the problem is that the DSL does not seem to be working.
    > Namely, I followed the instruction installations of the router (which
    > turned out to be a Netopia 2247NWG-T instead of the one I had selected) up
    > until the point where the steady DSL green light comes up. However, when I
    > start my browser (SeaMonkey or FireFox) nothing happens even if I type in
    > the 192.168.1.1 address and try to reload the page. After a short while,
    > the "Internet" light next to the "DSL" one turns red.

    AFAICT, the red "Internet" light is a separate problem that will have to
    be resolved after you establish a connection to the router. It probably
    means that the router tried to log on to the service but failed. Once
    you can access it, look for its PPPoE page & (re)enter the username and
    password you were given.

    FWIW... if login fails, _some_ services will put your connection in a
    "walled garden". Everytime you try to reach the outside world, you'll
    get a page of theirs advising you of the error. Of course, you won't
    see this until your machine is able to talk to your router.

    --
    == == almost usable email address: Rich AT E-vertise.Com == ==

    | DragText v3.9 with NLS support
    Rich Walsh | A Distinctly Different Desktop Enhancement
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/dragtext/

  12. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    Trevor Hemsley writes:

    > Look in \ibmcom\lantran.log and see what you have listed there.

    ---------------------------------
    LT00073: FFST/2 is installed but is not started. LANTRAN.LOG is being
    created.
    IBM OS/2 LANMSGDD [05/21/04] 6.00 is loaded and operational.
    IBM - OS/2 Socket/MPTS Common Transport Semantics
    IBM OS/2 NETBEUI 6.00.0
    NETBEUI: Using a 32-bit data segment.
    IBM OS/2 TCPBEUI 6.00.0
    TCPBEUI: Using a 32-bit data segment.
    Installing NETWKSTA.200 Version 6.0. IBM LAN Redirector ( Oct 10, 2001)

    IBM OS/2 NETBIOS 4.0
    Adapter 0 has 123 NCBs, 96 sessions, and 6 names available to NETBIOS
    applications.
    Adapter 1 has 123 NCBs, 96 sessions, and 6 names available to NETBIOS
    applications.
    NETBIOS 4.0 is loaded and operational.
    IBM LANVDD is loaded and operational.
    IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
    IBM - OS/2 Socket/MPTS NetBios Service Driver
    TCPBEUI: Logical adapter 0 is trying to bind to TCP/IP interface lan0.
    ---------------------------------

    This "trying to" on the last line is not very positive! Does it mean that
    it could not?

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    The NYC Beer Guide www.nycbeer.org

  13. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:08:12 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre
    Jelenc) wrote:

    > This "trying to" on the last line is not very positive! Does it mean that
    > it could not?

    More importantly, there's no line there that identifies the MAC address of the
    ethernet controller.

    Alex and Rick have given some excellent ideas, I'd run with some of those.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  14. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    > TCPBEUI: Logical adapter 0 is trying to bind to TCP/IP interface lan0.
    > ---------------------------------
    >
    > This "trying to" on the last line is not very positive! Does it mean that
    > it could not?
    >

    > Pierre

    Yes.

    H.-J.

  15. Re: Ethernet drivers?

    Alex Taylor writes:

    > OK, you want to fix that. Go back into MPTS, delete the separate entry for
    > the Intel NIC, then select the NULL MAC driver and use the "change" button
    > to change it to the aforementioned Intel driver.
    >
    > That way you will have only one network adapter defined (the correct one).

    Thanks. Done that, and it works (after I and the tech at Panix wasted over
    a day trying to figure things out. Turns out that, on top of it all, Covad
    had not assigned me the expected user name, and had also done something
    mysterious that the tech did not elaborate on but had him say "Oh, I need
    to talk to them about *that*...)

    So, thanks to all who contributed, I could never have figured it out by
    myself!

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    The NYC Beer Guide www.nycbeer.org

  16. http grief (was: Ethernet drivers)

    Oh well, every silver lining must have its cloud, doesn't it...

    The good news is that the DSL setup is running well. The bad news is that
    I seem to be having an http/https choke point somewhere.

    The symptoms: after a fresh boot, all is well for a while (I don't know
    yet whether this "while" is a time duration or an amount of usage) until
    suddenly some web sites (there will be a list below) simply do not load.

    Some of them do not load at all, some (about half; unfortunately I did not
    think of making a list) seem to load something because the proper title
    and favicon are displayed, and sometimes the background color changes, but
    no data actually come up, neither text nor graphics.

    Those sites that do load, seem to do so incompletely, although I don't see
    anything obviously missing: even after everything seems to have loaded,
    the loading indicators in SeaMonkey and FireFox continue to twirl.

    Once this phenomenon has started, it will not stop. I can close SM and FF,
    the blocked sites are still blocked later, until a reboot. Furthermore,
    the *same* sites also do not load in links, while those that are still
    accessible are also accessible by links (whether PM or text-mode).

    After a reboot, when the problem recurs after a while, it seems that the
    same sites that had been blocked before the reboot become blocked again,
    while those that had remained accessible do remain accessible.

    While this is happening in OS/2, my elderly Mac laptop (running 8.6)
    plugged into the same router (no wireless: Ethernet cables in both
    instances) will happily visit all the sites, whether accessible or not
    on the OS/2 machine.

    My take is that it's not the router (the Mac works), it's not the sites
    themselves (all the the blocked sites load without problem after a
    reboot), it's not the browse (SM, FF, links are equally affected), it's
    not PM (links is affected in both modes).

    Also, when I try to load a blocked site, there's a lot of activity
    (blinking lights) on the DSL and Ethernet lines, as though the entire HTML
    code is actually received, but not displayed. In some instances, I even
    have some evidence for that: the amazon.com home page displays title and
    favicon, and the backgound turns white, but nothing gets displayed.
    Nevertheless "View Page Source" shows the entire HTML for the page all the
    way to the final "".

    Finally, it happens on both http and https sites, and whether or not
    javascript is enabled.

    Stumped again!

    Pierre
    -----------------------------------
    appendix: test sites:

    Sites visited in the previous 2 weeks or so that
    remain accessible:
    http://www.banjojims.com/
    http://www.rockwoodmusichall.com/
    http://www.jr.com/
    http://www.nycbeer.org/
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/
    http://leopac.nypl.org/
    http://www.php.net/
    http://www.panix.com/

    Sites NOT visited in the previous 2 weeks or so that
    are accessible:
    http://www.columbia.edu/
    http://wnyu.nyu.edu/
    http://httpd.apache.org/
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/
    http://www.seaportmusicfestival.com/
    http://www.yahoo.com/
    http://www.camra.org.uk/
    http://www.wcbs880.com/
    http://www.independent.co.uk/

    Sites visited in the previous 2 weeks or so that
    are now inaccessible:
    http://www.google.com/
    http://news.google.com/
    https://login.yahoo.com/
    http://www.rodeobar.com/
    http://www.countrystandardtime.com/
    http://www.harrisradio.com/
    http://www.lefigaro.fr/
    http://www.drudgereport.com/
    http://www.nydailynews.com/
    http://www.nytimes.com/
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/
    http://www.amazon.com/

    Sites NOT visited in the previous 2 weeks or so that
    are inaccessible:
    https://www.blogger.com/start
    http://www.livejournal.com/
    http://www.hbd.org/
    http://chowhound.chow.com/
    http://www.sxsw.com/
    http://www.cmj.com/
    http://www.live365.com/
    http://www.bestbuy.com/
    http://www.nypost.com/
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/
    http://www.lesoir.be/
    http://www.svd.se/
    http://www.dn.se/
    http://www.wfuv.org/
    -----------------------------------
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    The NYC Beer Guide www.nycbeer.org

  17. Re: http grief

    On 08/19/08 02:43 pm, Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > The symptoms: after a fresh boot, all is well for a while (I don't know
    > yet whether this "while" is a time duration or an amount of usage) until
    > suddenly some web sites (there will be a list below) simply do not load.

    Just a guess, try playing with your mtu.
    netstat -n | more will tell you the current MTU for each interface. Your
    router documentation might say what it likes.
    You can change it like
    ifconfig lan0 mtu 576
    576 might be a good number.
    Dave

  18. Re: http grief (was: Ethernet drivers)

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:43:13 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre
    Jelenc) wrote:

    > Once this phenomenon has started, it will not stop. I can close SM and FF,
    > the blocked sites are still blocked later, until a reboot. Furthermore,
    > the *same* sites also do not load in links, while those that are still
    > accessible are also accessible by links (whether PM or text-mode).

    Does the problem go away if you rerun \mptn\bin\setup.cmd

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  19. Re: http grief

    Dave Yeo writes:
    > On 08/19/08 02:43 pm, Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > > The symptoms: after a fresh boot, all is well for a while (I don't know
    > > yet whether this "while" is a time duration or an amount of usage) until
    > > suddenly some web sites (there will be a list below) simply do not load.

    > Just a guess, try playing with your mtu.
    > netstat -n | more will tell you the current MTU for each interface. Your
    > router documentation might say what it likes.

    Currently for lan0 it is:

    Interface 0 Ethernet-Csmacd
    physical address 0016760d8e08 MTU 1500

    The router's manual says it accepts 100-1500 without stating a preference.

    The rest of the output is:

    speed 100000000 bits/sec
    unicast packets received 20097
    broadcast packets received 5448
    total bytes received 4997376
    unicast packets sent 19160
    broadcast packets sent 6
    total bytes sent 1574505
    packets discarded on transmission 0
    packets discarded on reception 0
    received packets in error 0
    errors trying to send 0
    packets received in unsupported protocols 0

    So it does not appear to be seeing errors.

    > You can change it like
    > ifconfig lan0 mtu 576
    > 576 might be a good number.

    OK, I'll try that. Where should it go, though, if it proves beneficial:
    tcpstart.cmd, b4tcp.cmd, or something else altogether?

    Thanks,

    Pierre

    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    The NYC Beer Guide www.nycbeer.org

  20. Re: http grief

    On 08/19/08 05:14 pm, Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > So it does not appear to be seeing errors.
    >
    >> > You can change it like
    >> > ifconfig lan0 mtu 576
    >> > 576 might be a good number.

    > OK, I'll try that. Where should it go, though, if it proves beneficial:
    > tcpstart.cmd, b4tcp.cmd, or something else altogether?

    Probably tcpexit.cmd would be as good as anywhere.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast