Raw SATA install of v 4.52. - OS2

This is a discussion on Raw SATA install of v 4.52. - OS2 ; Greetings, all. Please give me some pointers/help on doing a fresh install of 4.52 on an unpartitioned 250G SATA drive. The standard install disks made from the 4.52 CDRom don't seem to be able to negotiate that drive structure. Booting ...

  1. Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    Greetings, all.

    Please give me some pointers/help on doing a fresh install of
    4.52 on an unpartitioned 250G SATA drive. The standard install
    disks made from the 4.52 CDRom don't seem to be able to negotiate
    that drive structure. Booting from the Installation CDRom and
    inserting the Warp 4.52 CD when called for results in an LVM
    error.

    Obviously I could use Daniela's most recent version drivers if I
    knew the method of fooling the system into thinking it is
    IBM1S506.add...

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance!

    --
    * Best regards from Marc.
    * FIDONET=1:396/45 INTELEC=239:600/70

  2. Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    Maybe some help Marc ..

    Marc wrote:
    > Greetings, all.
    >
    > Please give me some pointers/help on doing a fresh install of
    > 4.52 on an unpartitioned 250G SATA drive. The standard install
    > disks made from the 4.52 CDRom don't seem to be able to negotiate
    > that drive structure. Booting from the Installation CDRom and
    > inserting the Warp 4.52 CD when called for results in an LVM
    > error.
    >
    > Obviously I could use Daniela's most recent version drivers if I
    > knew the method of fooling the system into thinking it is
    > IBM1S506.add...
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Up until the level 1.7.# code from Dani, you could simply use her DaniS506.ADD
    driver and simply rename it to IBM1S506.ADD and that would still work. I think
    we are talking the 1.7.10 last release in this venue. If that driver will work
    with the SATA disk, I think you could substitute it for the IBM1S506.ADD driver
    on the floppy diskette needed. It would then be snooped for as originally
    intended. And perhaps you could go forward in that way.

    I've also tried asking the folks here if it would be possible to do an install
    this way with Dani's later driver, plus changing the snoop definitions to look
    for her DaniS506.ADD instead of the IBM1S506.ADD on the boot run. As of this
    point I've not had anyone post that this swap operation can be done with the
    floppy diskette boot install deal. Maybe someone will post that here this
    time. Not in criticism at all here, just trying to carry at least you and I
    forward at all this.

    As well, I also do realize that if you are going to use Dani's 1.8.# level
    code, you also have to use her DaniATAPI module instead of the IBM supplied
    version of that code. That would mean, at least to my awareness of all this,
    that you would also have to modify the snoop parameters on the floppy diskette
    to handle this change as well.

    As well you absolutely have to insert the COPYFROMFLOPPY or whatever that
    parameter is called when this is done.

    A more devious way to get this done, but still do it, as far as I know, is to
    deliberately start out on a smaller hard disk partition with the install run.
    Say an 8GB partition. You complete the MCP2 installation that way. Then, when
    you get it up and running with Dani's driver package, you simply use Jan's
    DFSEE to expand that partition beyond the 8GB size, I'd think. But do not know
    for sure.

    Hope this helps Marc.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  3. Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:41:49 UTC, Mike Luther wrote:

    > Maybe some help Marc ..

    > Marc wrote:
    > > Greetings, all.
    > > Please give me some pointers/help on doing a fresh install
    > > of 4.52 on an unpartitioned 250G SATA drive. The standard
    > > install disks made from the 4.52 CDRom don't seem to be
    > > able to negotiate that drive structure. Booting from the
    > > Installation CDRom and inserting the Warp 4.52 CD when
    > > called for results in an LVM error.
    > > Obviously I could use Daniela's most recent version drivers
    > > if I knew the method of fooling the system into thinking it
    > > is IBM1S506.add...
    > > Any ideas?
    > > Thanks in advance!

    > Up until the level 1.7.# code from Dani, you could simply use
    > her DaniS506.ADD driver and simply rename it to IBM1S506.ADD
    > and that would still work. I think we are talking the 1.7.10
    > last release in this venue. If that driver will work with
    > the SATA disk, I think you could substitute it for the
    > IBM1S506.ADD driver on the floppy diskette needed. It would
    > then be snooped for as originally intended. And perhaps you
    > could go forward in that way.

    I'll try locating a copy of the 1.7 version; fairly sure I can
    (that's what the ECS Demo CD uses and it does see the SATA
    drive.)

    > I've also tried asking the folks here if it would be possible
    > to do an install this way with Dani's later driver, plus
    > changing the snoop definitions to look for her DaniS506.ADD
    > instead of the IBM1S506.ADD on the boot run.

    Cannot be done as there is no DANIS506.SNP file for the snoop
    process to reference... Unless it can get by with no reference at
    all to *506.??? in the snoop file; but I rather doubt that.

    > As well, I also do realize that if you are going to use
    > Dani's 1.8.# level code, you also have to use her DaniATAPI
    > module instead of the IBM supplied version of that code.
    > That would mean, at least to my awareness of all this, that
    > you would also have to modify the snoop parameters on the
    > floppy diskette to handle this change as well.

    I'm not sure that the ATAPI driver appears in the snoop file;
    have to go look see, but I don't think so...

    > As well you absolutely have to insert the COPYFROMFLOPPY or
    > whatever that parameter is called when this is done.

    Without a doubt.

    > A more devious way to get this done, but still do it, as far
    > as I know, is to deliberately start out on a smaller hard
    > disk partition with the install run. Say an 8GB partition.
    > You complete the MCP2 installation that way. Then, when you
    > get it up and running with Dani's driver package, you simply
    > use Jan's DFSEE to expand that partition beyond the 8GB size,
    > I'd think. But do not know for sure.

    I tried using DFSEE (my registered version) to copy the
    partitions off my 80G IDE onto the partitioned 250G SATA drive;
    it does in fact work - - If I wan't to wait 172 (one-hundered
    seventy two) HOURS for it to work. I interrupted it and in 12
    minutes it had copied approximately 40 _kilobytes_. Not a
    workable solution and it really ticks me off since I just
    purchased the upgrade from V6 to V9 for over US$60 from Mensys.

    > Hope this helps Marc.

    It will, indirectly. :-)

    Another problem is that the Snap drivers do not recognise the
    NVidia on-board AGP at all. I get a blank screen (even with the
    new ECS Demo CD.) I had to install an old 8MB PCI Rage card to
    get anything on screen. Snap works fine with that. I have,
    however, located an NVidia driver for OS/2, but have not had time
    yet to try it out.

    I _WILL_ make this goofy thing work!!

    -
    * Best regards from Marc.
    * FIDONET=1:396/45 INTELEC=239:600/70
    A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

  4. Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    More help is on the way Marc!

    Marc wrote:

    > I'll try locating a copy of the 1.7 version; fairly sure I can
    > (that's what the ECS Demo CD uses and it does see the SATA
    > drive.)

    Look in your Email Marc! I've sent you a copy of that version of Dani's
    priceless work for us.

    > > I've also tried asking the folks here if it would be possible
    > > to do an install this way with Dani's later driver, plus
    > > changing the snoop definitions to look for her DaniS506.ADD
    > > instead of the IBM1S506.ADD on the boot run.

    > Cannot be done as there is no DANIS506.SNP file for the snoop
    > process to reference... Unless it can get by with no reference at
    > all to *506.??? in the snoop file; but I rather doubt that.

    Aha! That is part of what I wanted to learn.

    > > As well, I also do realize that if you are going to use
    > > Dani's 1.8.# level code, you also have to use her DaniATAPI
    > > module instead of the IBM supplied version of that code.
    > > That would mean, at least to my awareness of all this, that
    > > you would also have to modify the snoop parameters on the
    > > floppy diskette to handle this change as well.

    > I'm not sure that the ATAPI driver appears in the snoop file;
    > have to go look see, but I don't think so...

    Well, if one is able to use the last 1.7 version of Dani's driver to do this
    job, it doesn't have to have her custom version of DaniATAPI code. It still
    works with the IBM version of things.

    > I tried using DFSEE (my registered version) to copy the
    > partitions off my 80G IDE onto the partitioned 250G SATA drive;
    > it does in fact work - - If I wan't to wait 172 (one-hundered
    > seventy two) HOURS for it to work. I interrupted it and in 12
    > minutes it had copied approximately 40 _kilobytes_. Not a
    > workable solution and it really ticks me off since I just
    > purchased the upgrade from V6 to V9 for over US$60 from Mensys.

    I've read of similar results form other posts. If I am not mistaken, there is
    a 'fix' for this that I saw. It isn't related to Jan's work, if my recall is
    correct.

    Perhaps Dave or Ilya or someone can re-visit this here and point us all in the
    direction to solve this.

    > Another problem is that the Snap drivers do not recognise the
    > NVidia on-board AGP at all. I get a blank screen (even with the
    > new ECS Demo CD.) I had to install an old 8MB PCI Rage card to
    > get anything on screen. Snap works fine with that. I have,
    > however, located an NVidia driver for OS/2, but have not had time
    > yet to try it out.

    Are you using the install version of SNAP that comes with the eCs toolset? The
    reason I ask is that the 'final' version 3.1.8 of SNAP isn't at all the level
    of SNAP that I thought was related to the eCs toolset.

    The final actual 3.1.8 version of SNAP also has a free serial number they
    graciously released to us all so it could be used. If you don't have that
    version of SNAP and the free serial number, I also have a copy of that here.

    > I _WILL_ make this goofy thing work!!

    Uhh .. I seem to recall that Goofy was a dog? And we both are still hosting
    FidoNet networks, grin!

    Hark, hark! The dog doth bark!

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  5. Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    Mike Luther
    ], who wrote in article <48a1963f$0$4009$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net>:

    > Perhaps Dave or Ilya or someone can re-visit this here and point us all in the
    > direction to solve this.

    Myself, I was so afraid of inserting yet another card into my PC (with
    a high probability of breaking these stupid Ethernet drivers), that I
    upgraded to USB2 only very recently (without ANY problem!). So, I'm
    still scared of yet another, SATA, card; as a corollary, I have about
    2TB worth of PATA... :-(

    So, sorry, but I have no experience with SATA...

    > The final actual 3.1.8 version of SNAP also has a free serial number they
    > graciously released to us all so it could be used. If you don't have that
    > version of SNAP and the free serial number, I also have a copy of that here.

    Hmm, I subscribed to SciTech newsgroups, and I missed this! Could you
    publish this stuff?

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  6. Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    On 08/13/08 02:13 am, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    >> The final actual 3.1.8 version of SNAP also has a free serial number they
    >> > graciously released to us all so it could be used. If you don't have that
    >> > version of SNAP and the free serial number, I also have a copy of that here.

    > Hmm, I subscribed to SciTech newsgroups, and I missed this! Could you
    > publish this stuff?

    http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/snap/...e-reg-code.txt, drivers are
    in the same directory.
    Dave

  7. Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    Dave Yeo
    ], who wrote in article :
    > > Hmm, I subscribed to SciTech newsgroups, and I missed this! Could you
    > > publish this stuff?

    > http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/snap/...e-reg-code.txt, drivers are
    > in the same directory.

    Thanks a lot! Already got it.

    [The problems I see on this particular hardware [T23] are mostly
    cosmetic, though (switching to fullscreen and back "fixes" them). In
    a month, I will be able to check v3.1.8 on desktop, which is much more
    problematic with v2.* (i.e.:

    does not support width=1920,
    with width=1800 misses resolution-switch-on-the-fly,
    XFree86 when exiting leaves registers in an incompatible state,
    rare hangs which look like video-related...

    ). Will report...

    Yours,
    Ilya

  8. Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    Marc schrieb:

    > I tried using DFSEE (my registered version) to copy the
    > partitions off my 80G IDE onto the partitioned 250G SATA drive;
    > it does in fact work - - If I wan't to wait 172 (one-hundered
    > seventy two) HOURS for it to work. I interrupted it and in 12
    > minutes it had copied approximately 40 _kilobytes_. Not a
    > workable solution and it really ticks me off since I just
    > purchased the upgrade from V6 to V9 for over US$60 from Mensys.

    I would ask Jan about this.

    Hendrik

  9. Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    Learning process ..

    Peter Brown wrote:

    >> Turns out that OS/2 cannot deal with anything at all beyond
    >> about 60 or 64GB.

    > HPFS has a 64Gb partition limit.

    I thought that there was a 'fix' issued for this for HPFS that expanded it
    above the 64GB limit to 2 Terrabytes which was released by IBM some time back.
    Or was this only and related to JFS which doesn't? I'm almost certain I
    remember somewhere there is a thread line with the 2 Terrabyte expansion.

    My cable provider Suddenlink has become a part of this huge get rid of news
    group operations and nothing prior to about the middle of June 2008 is
    available on any news group operations here at this time, at least for me.

    Thus it has become impossible for me to do any research on much of anything
    here without starting a whole new chatter line before posting, gloom.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  10. Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:50:21 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Mike Luther
    wrote:

    > Learning process ..
    >
    > Peter Brown wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Turns out that OS/2 cannot deal with anything at all beyond
    > >> about 60 or 64GB.

    > > HPFS has a 64Gb partition limit.

    > I thought that there was a 'fix' issued for this for HPFS that expanded it
    > above the 64GB limit to 2 Terrabytes which was released by IBM some time back.
    > Or was this only and related to JFS which doesn't? I'm almost certain I
    > remember somewhere there is a thread line with the 2 Terrabyte expansion.

    The 'fix' is to use JFS! ;-)

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  11. Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    Thanks, Marc.

    Marc Lewis wrote:

    > ML> Thus it has become impossible for me to do any research on
    > ML> much of anything here without starting a whole new chatter
    > ML> line before posting, gloom.
    >
    > Don't forget that I still have a solid newsgroup link on the
    > BBS, Mike; this post is being made via that method.
    >
    > You're welcome to link to them by their FidoNet style aliases
    > with a standard AreaFix command message. SEAL can send you an
    > available area list if you want.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Marc

    I'm thinking about all this. I've tried the Google Search suggested here which
    Google claims goes back totally to 2001 for ALL messages!! Since I'm using
    Seamonkey for Newgroup work here, I wonder.

    Would it not make sense to try to fish out all the fish in the pond on a given
    old-time species? Then use cut and paste pointed new bait on the fish hook to
    try to attract a 'fresh' thread line start which would show up on everyone's
    bait glimpse treading water in the 'modern' news pond?

    I haven't hit this need for old time fishies at the moment. But I'm going to
    see what this works like when I do. I'm not at all interested in working on
    Google for real for the newsgroup work from what I think I understand about
    that so far. But this might be the best way to do this at this point in time.
    It would seem that unless everyone were on Google News whatever I'd reply to
    back in, say 2002, would get lost big time on most people's way of working with
    the OS/2 groups.

    Thoughts?

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  12. Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 15:38:35 UTC, Mike Luther wrote:

    > I'm thinking about all this. I've tried the Google Search suggested here which
    > Google claims goes back totally to 2001 for ALL messages!! Since I'm using
    > Seamonkey for Newgroup work here, I wonder.

    Fell free to use my newsserver, if you need msgs this long back.

    news.warpspeed.dk

    I think there are msgs is all c.o.o.os2* groups from around '98 -
    although not garantied to be 100% complete.

    --
    Allan.

    It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
    than to open it, and remove all doubt.

  13. Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52.

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello all.

    Re: Raw SATA install of v 4.52. >

    ML> My cable provider Suddenlink has become a part of this huge
    ML> get rid of news group operations and nothing prior to
    ML> about the middle of June 2008 is available on any news
    ML> group operations here at this time, at least for me.

    ML> Thus it has become impossible for me to do any research on
    ML> much of anything here without starting a whole new chatter
    ML> line before posting, gloom.

    Don't forget that I still have a solid newsgroup link on the
    BBS, Mike; this post is being made via that method.

    Since the messages are all in standard FidoNet message format,
    replies _must_ have the Re:[space]subject format in the subject
    line to insure continuity of the thread. The "Re:" is case
    sensitive.

    My message bases for the comp.os.os2 newsgroups store about
    3,000 messages with a roll-off time of 700 days. Some
    super-active MS newsgroup message bases store 9000 messages, but
    the roll-off time is only 30 days.

    You're welcome to link to them by their FidoNet style aliases
    with a standard AreaFix command message. SEAL can send you an
    available area list if you want.

    Best regards,
    Marc
    -+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +

+ Reply to Thread