Removing EA's (extended attributes) - OS2

This is a discussion on Removing EA's (extended attributes) - OS2 ; Is there a correct way of removing Extened Attributes? Explain: I use the file program DirMaster from Enriva Development. Whenever I access, more, copy, a simple FAT or DOS file from a DOS/FAT directory. EA's are added. I can see ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    Is there a correct way of removing Extened Attributes?

    Explain: I use the file program DirMaster from Enriva Development.
    Whenever I access, more, copy, a simple FAT or DOS file from a DOS/FAT
    directory. EA's are added. I can see the file "ea data. sf" in the
    FAT/DOS directory begin to grow. I know that there are no important
    attributes for these files (at least from the programs that used them
    - WordStar DOS) , but this "es data. sf" simply takes up room. I can
    delete it under another operating system (SuSE 10.3) that is dual
    booted on this machine.

    Am I missing something?
    Is there a more correct (under OS2) way to delete them?

    Paul

    --

  2. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 00:08:15 UTC, "PaulRS"
    wrote:

    > Is there a correct way of removing Extened Attributes?
    >
    > Explain: I use the file program DirMaster from Enriva Development.
    > Whenever I access, more, copy, a simple FAT or DOS file from a DOS/FAT
    > directory. EA's are added. I can see the file "ea data. sf" in the
    > FAT/DOS directory begin to grow. I know that there are no important
    > attributes for these files (at least from the programs that used them
    > - WordStar DOS) , but this "es data. sf" simply takes up room. I can
    > delete it under another operating system (SuSE 10.3) that is dual
    > booted on this machine.
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    > Is there a more correct (under OS2) way to delete them?
    >
    > Paul

    Have you investigated the EAUTIL command?

    Gord Snider
    --
    Gordon Snider
    Toronto, Canada

  3. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 00:08:15 UTC, "PaulRS" wrote:

    > Is there a correct way of removing Extened Attributes?
    >
    > Explain: I use the file program DirMaster from Enriva Development.
    > Whenever I access, more, copy, a simple FAT or DOS file from a DOS/FAT
    > directory. EA's are added. I can see the file "ea data. sf" in the
    > FAT/DOS directory begin to grow. I know that there are no important
    > attributes for these files (at least from the programs that used them
    > - WordStar DOS) , but this "es data. sf" simply takes up room. I can
    > delete it under another operating system (SuSE 10.3) that is dual
    > booted on this machine.
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    > Is there a more correct (under OS2) way to delete them?

    eautil filename nul /s

    --
    Bob Eager

  4. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    In article ,
    "Gordon Snider" wrote:

    >Have you investigated the EAUTIL command?

    To remove EAs from all files in the current directory,
    enter the following at a command prompt:

    for %f in (*.*) do eautil "%f" NUL /S

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

  5. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:07:43 UTC, black.hole.4.spam@gmail.com (Don Hills)
    wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "Gordon Snider" wrote:
    > >
    > >Have you investigated the EAUTIL command?

    > To remove EAs from all files in the current directory,
    > enter the following at a command prompt:
    >
    > for %f in (*.*) do eautil "%f" NUL /S

    That will remove nearly all....

    for %f in (*) do eautil "%f" NUL /S

    If used in a batch file, use %%f instead.

    --
    Bob Eager

  6. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    PaulRS wrote:
    > Is there a correct way of removing Extened Attributes?
    >
    > Explain: I use the file program DirMaster from Enriva Development.
    > Whenever I access, more, copy, a simple FAT or DOS file from a DOS/FAT
    > directory. EA's are added. I can see the file "ea data. sf" in the
    > FAT/DOS directory begin to grow. I know that there are no important
    > attributes for these files (at least from the programs that used them
    > - WordStar DOS) , but this "es data. sf" simply takes up room. I can
    > delete it under another operating system (SuSE 10.3) that is dual
    > booted on this machine.
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    > Is there a more correct (under OS2) way to delete them?
    >
    > Paul

    Besides eautil, there's a 'noEA.exe' utility in the LxLite package on
    Hobbes that is fairly easy to use.
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/...er/lxlt133.zip

    Mike

    --
    --- Michael G. Slack (remove '_'s to reply) ---

  7. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    On 09.08.08 11:52, Bob Eager wrote:

    > On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:07:43 UTC, black.hole.4.spam@gmail.com (Don
    > Hills) wrote:
    >
    >> In article , "Gordon
    >> Snider" wrote:
    >>
    >> for %f in (*.*) do eautil "%f" NUL /S

    > That will remove nearly all....
    >
    > for %f in (*) do eautil "%f" NUL /S

    For the commands I use on OS/2, * and *.* are equivalent. Linux would
    handle them different.

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  8. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    In article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-5ddwzVpqYQfq@rikki.tavi.co.uk>
    rde42@spamcop.net "Bob Eager" writes:

    > On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 00:08:15 UTC, "PaulRS" wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a correct way of removing Extened Attributes?
    > >
    > > [...]

    > eautil filename nul /s

    The stuff one learns. FWIW, "help eautil" should display the
    full set of commands.

    I've never bothered to strip out EAs. Those apps I run in OS/2's
    VDOS session (and I use WordStar-DOS all the time) seem to manage
    to lose them successfully then OS/2 goes and recreates them. The
    only time I actually worry about EAs is when I change a file with
    a DOS program and it loses the icon, which can be a right pest.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  9. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    Hi Andreas

    Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    > On 09.08.08 11:52, Bob Eager wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:07:43 UTC, black.hole.4.spam@gmail.com (Don
    >> Hills) wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article, "Gordon
    >>> Snider" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> for %f in (*.*) do eautil "%f" NUL /S

    >> That will remove nearly all....
    >>
    >> for %f in (*) do eautil "%f" NUL /S

    > For the commands I use on OS/2, * and *.* are equivalent. Linux would
    > handle them different.

    Using just * means all files

    Using *.* means all files with an extension

    They are not quite the same thing and you may want to be aware of that.

    Regards

    Pete

  10. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    On 08/09/08 09:51 am Peter Brown wrote:

    >>> That will remove nearly all....
    >>>
    >>> for %f in (*) do eautil "%f" NUL /S

    >> For the commands I use on OS/2, * and *.* are equivalent. Linux would
    >> handle them different.

    > Using just * means all files
    >
    > Using *.* means all files with an extension
    >

    > They are not quite the same thing and you may want to be aware of that.

    Depends on the program: they are the same to DIR and DEL, but
    BackAgain/2(000) treated them differently.

    Perce

  11. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    wrote:

    > Is there a correct way of removing Extened Attributes?
    >
    > Explain: I use the file program DirMaster from Enriva Development.
    > Whenever I access, more, copy, a simple FAT or DOS file from a DOS/FAT
    > directory. EA's are added. I can see the file "ea data. sf" in the
    > FAT/DOS directory begin to grow. I know that there are no important
    > attributes for these files (at least from the programs that used them
    > - WordStar DOS) , but this "es data. sf" simply takes up room. I can
    > delete it under another operating system (SuSE 10.3) that is dual
    > booted on this machine.
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    > Is there a more correct (under OS2) way to delete them?
    >
    > Paul

    The eautil formula given works for the current directory. However in
    my DOS partition I have several levels of subdirectories and the "ea
    data. sf" file is in the root directory. I would have to do this with
    each directory at several levels.

    Let me ask a more basic question: Do the DOS/Files themselves know
    they have EA's or is it something that OS/2 puts in the "ea data. sf"
    file attached to the filename.

    If I just continue to delete the "ea data. sf" file am I messing
    anything up? These are only DOS data files that have been moved,
    copied to different directories, etc.. OS/2 has added EA's to them.
    None are connected to icons, etc.

    --

  12. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    PaulRS wrote:
    > The eautil formula given works for the current directory. However in
    > my DOS partition I have several levels of subdirectories and the "ea
    > data. sf" file is in the root directory. I would have to do this with
    > each directory at several levels.
    >
    > Let me ask a more basic question: Do the DOS/Files themselves know
    > they have EA's or is it something that OS/2 puts in the "ea data. sf"
    > file attached to the filename.
    >
    > If I just continue to delete the "ea data. sf" file am I messing
    > anything up? These are only DOS data files that have been moved,
    > copied to different directories, etc.. OS/2 has added EA's to them.
    > None are connected to icons, etc.

    As a simple alternative, you can just:
    attrib -r -s -h "ea data. sf"
    del "ea data. sf"

    To keep it from happening constantly, you can create a 0-length "ea
    data. sf" and make it read only. I think this works as well.

  13. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 02:28:36 UTC, "PaulRS" wrote:

    > The eautil formula given works for the current directory. However in
    > my DOS partition I have several levels of subdirectories and the "ea
    > data. sf" file is in the root directory. I would have to do this with
    > each directory at several levels.

    It's trivial to write a REXX script to do this. Literally only a few
    lines.

    > Let me ask a more basic question: Do the DOS/Files themselves know
    > they have EA's or is it something that OS/2 puts in the "ea data. sf"
    > file attached to the filename.

    The data is stored in EA DATA. SF on a FAT filesystem. It is linked from
    the directory entry for each file.

    > If I just continue to delete the "ea data. sf" file am I messing
    > anything up? These are only DOS data files that have been moved,
    > copied to different directories, etc.. OS/2 has added EA's to them.
    > None are connected to icons, etc.

    You are damaging the file structure, and CHKDSK will complain.

    See:

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/eadata.html

    --
    Bob Eager

  14. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 02:28:36 UTC, "PaulRS" wrote:

    > The eautil formula given works for the current directory. However in
    > my DOS partition I have several levels of subdirectories and the "ea
    > data. sf" file is in the root directory. I would have to do this with
    > each directory at several levels.

    Run this command in the directory that is at the top of the hierarchy
    you wish to treat. Do not omit the comment on the first line.

    /* Strip EAs from all files */

    call RxFuncAdd 'SysLoadFuncs', 'REXXUTIL', 'SysLoadFuncs'
    call SysLoadFuncs

    call SysFileTree '*', 'f', 'FSO' /* Get file list */

    do i = 1 to f.0
    say 'stripping:' f.i
    '@eautil' f.i 'nul /s'
    end

    exit 0

    --
    Bob Eager

  15. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    In article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-5JTYvjth4yok@rikki.tavi.co.uk>
    rde42@spamcop.net "Bob Eager" writes:

    > [...]
    >
    > Run this command in the directory that is at the top of the hierarchy
    > you wish to treat. Do not omit the comment on the first line.
    >
    > [...]

    Ta, Bob. Now added to my OS2UTILS toolbox directory -- one never
    knows when weird stuff like this can prove handy.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  16. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Andreas
    >
    > Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    >> On 09.08.08 11:52, Bob Eager wrote:

    >>> That will remove nearly all....
    >>>
    >>> for %f in (*) do eautil "%f" NUL /S

    >> For the commands I use on OS/2, * and *.* are equivalent. Linux would
    >> handle them different.
    >>

    > Using just * means all files
    >
    > Using *.* means all files with an extension
    >

    > They are not quite the same thing and you may want to be aware of that.
    >

    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Using eCS2.0RC5, in an OS/2 command window using cmd.exe, dir * and dir *.* both
    produce the same list of files. The same is true in a DOS command window using
    command.com. There may be contexts in which * and *.* are different, but right off
    hand I can't think of one. 4os2 maybe?

  17. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    On 08/10/08 10:36 am, James J. Weinkam wrote:
    >> Using just * means all files
    >>
    >> Using *.* means all files with an extension
    >>

    >> They are not quite the same thing and you may want to be aware of that.
    >>

    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Pete

    > Using eCS2.0RC5, in an OS/2 command window using cmd.exe, dir * and dir
    > *.* both produce the same list of files. The same is true in a DOS
    > command window using command.com. There may be contexts in which * and
    > *.* are different, but right off hand I can't think of one. 4os2 maybe?

    IIRC xcopy is one where you need * to pick up files without an extension
    Dave

  18. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    On 10.08.08 22:14, Dave Yeo wrote:

    > On 08/10/08 10:36 am, James J. Weinkam wrote:
    >
    >> Pete wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using just * means all files
    >>>
    >>> Using *.* means all files with an extension

    >> Using eCS2.0RC5, in an OS/2 command window using cmd.exe, dir * and
    >> dir *.* both produce the same list of files. The same is true in a
    >> DOS command window using command.com. There may be contexts in
    >> which * and *.* are different, but right off hand I can't think of
    >> one. 4os2 maybe?

    > IIRC xcopy is one where you need * to pick up files without an
    > extension

    No, apparently even XCOPY uses the DosFind* API. That doesn't make a
    difference between "*" and "*.*".

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  19. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    On 08/10/08 01:47 pm, Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    >> IIRC xcopy is one where you need * to pick up files without an
    >> > extension

    > No, apparently even XCOPY uses the DosFind* API. That doesn't make a
    > difference between "*" and "*.*".

    Hmm, testing shows that you're right Further testing shows even
    commands like cp and cat that are built with EMX and use _wildcard()
    don't care about * vs *.*
    Dave

  20. Re: Removing EA's (extended attributes)

    Dave Yeo wrote:
    > On 08/10/08 10:36 am, James J. Weinkam wrote:
    >>> Using just * means all files
    >>>
    >>> Using *.* means all files with an extension
    >>>

    >>> They are not quite the same thing and you may want to be aware of that.
    >>>

    >>> Regards
    >>>
    >>> Pete

    >> Using eCS2.0RC5, in an OS/2 command window using cmd.exe, dir * and dir
    >> *.* both produce the same list of files. The same is true in a DOS
    >> command window using command.com. There may be contexts in which * and
    >> *.* are different, but right off hand I can't think of one. 4os2 maybe?

    > IIRC xcopy is one where you need * to pick up files without an extension
    > Dave

    Not so.

    Each of xcopy f:\ h:\drvf /h/t/r, xcopy f:\* h:\drvf /h/t/r, and
    xcopy f:\*.* h:\drvf /h/t/r copies all of the files in the root of f. h:\drvf was
    empty at the start of each trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast