IBM Peer Fixpack ip08406 - OS2

This is a discussion on IBM Peer Fixpack ip08406 - OS2 ; _____ I am trying to update IBM Peer on OS/2 Warp system (fixpack 15, kernel 14.104a_W4). I prepared the diskette with IBM's RAWRITE.EXE and with unix's DD utility. The IBM supplied CSF diskette prepared with either method cannot be read ...

  1. IBM Peer Fixpack ip08406

    _____
    I am trying to update IBM Peer on OS/2 Warp system (fixpack 15, kernel
    14.104a_W4). I prepared the diskette with IBM's RAWRITE.EXE and with
    unix's DD utility. The IBM supplied CSF diskette prepared with either
    method cannot be read or run standalone. Has anyone tried to perform
    this update? If yes, what was the source of the diskettes? I
    downloaded mine from
    .
    --
    Regards / JCH

  2. Re: IBM Peer Fixpack ip08406

    jch wrote:

    > _____
    > I am trying to update IBM Peer on OS/2 Warp system (fixpack 15, kernel
    > 14.104a_W4). I prepared the diskette with IBM's RAWRITE.EXE and with
    > unix's DD utility. The IBM supplied CSF diskette prepared with either
    > method cannot be read or run standalone. Has anyone tried to perform
    > this update? If yes, what was the source of the diskettes? I
    > downloaded mine from

    .

    For a long time, IBM used a strange format on the fixpack diskettes. That
    was especially true for the LAN products people. I got into the habit of
    unpacking the images to a directory on the hard drive and installing from
    there. Been a while since I did it, but check Hobbes for the
    subject 'fixpack' and you'll find it. MUCH faster and a lot less hassle.
    I don't remember all of the issues, but most of it was the switches used by
    the loaddskf/savedskf version used to anipulate the disks.

    If that fails, I can send you a copy that worked the last time I tried it -
    couple or three years back.

    --
    Will Honea
    whonea@yahoo.com

  3. Re: IBM Peer Fixpack ip08406

    On 08/04/08 07:21 pm, jch wrote:
    > _____
    > I am trying to update IBM Peer on OS/2 Warp system (fixpack 15, kernel
    > 14.104a_W4). I prepared the diskette with IBM's RAWRITE.EXE and with
    > unix's DD utility. The IBM supplied CSF diskette prepared with either
    > method cannot be read or run standalone. Has anyone tried to perform
    > this update? If yes, what was the source of the diskettes? I downloaded
    > mine from
    > .

    Shouldn't you use loaddskf to prepare the floppies? Loaddskf.exe should
    be on you're Warp CD or look on Hobbes.
    Dave

  4. Re: IBM Peer Fixpack ip08406

    jch wrote:
    > _____
    > I am trying to update IBM Peer on OS/2 Warp system (fixpack 15, kernel
    > 14.104a_W4). I prepared the diskette with IBM's RAWRITE.EXE and with
    > unix's DD utility. The IBM supplied CSF diskette prepared with either
    > method cannot be read or run standalone. Has anyone tried to perform
    > this update? If yes, what was the source of the diskettes? I
    > downloaded mine from
    > .

    You have to use loaddskf to prepare the floppies and then you need to
    have the 'corrective service utility' to read the floppies and write the
    files. Kind of cumbersome but it does work. The general idea is that
    you write each floppy (there's 5 floppy images at the link above plus an
    image for the corrective service facility (CSF) so you need six
    floppies. Write all of the floppies, then put the csf floppy in the
    drive (or in a folder on the hard drive) and run the 'service.exe'
    program. Then put the first of the 5 service floppies in when it asks
    you for the first diskette. Then just follow the directions. It will
    also want you to create an 'archive' somewhere on your hard drive. Just
    enter in the path to the archive with the hard drive letter as in
    'E:\PeerArchive or something in the box it lists and then it will carry
    on.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  5. Re: IBM Peer Fixpack ip08406

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > jch wrote:
    >> _____
    >> I am trying to update IBM Peer on OS/2 Warp system (fixpack 15, kernel
    >> 14.104a_W4). I prepared the diskette with IBM's RAWRITE.EXE and with
    >> unix's DD utility. The IBM supplied CSF diskette prepared with either
    >> method cannot be read or run standalone. Has anyone tried to perform
    >> this update? If yes, what was the source of the diskettes? I
    >> downloaded mine from
    >> .
    >>

    > You have to use loaddskf to prepare the floppies and then you need to
    > have the 'corrective service utility' to read the floppies and write the
    > files. Kind of cumbersome but it does work. The general idea is that
    > you write each floppy (there's 5 floppy images at the link above plus an
    > image for the corrective service facility (CSF) so you need six
    > floppies. Write all of the floppies, then put the csf floppy in the
    > drive (or in a folder on the hard drive) and run the 'service.exe'
    > program. Then put the first of the 5 service floppies in when it asks
    > you for the first diskette. Then just follow the directions. It will
    > also want you to create an 'archive' somewhere on your hard drive. Just
    > enter in the path to the archive with the hard drive letter as in
    > 'E:\PeerArchive or something in the box it lists and then it will carry on.

    _____
    OK, will use LOADDSKF.EXE. Found more recent fixpack ip084014 dated
    2001 at . Need to find CSF
    disk, then proceed.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  6. Re: IBM Peer Fixpack ip08406

    Suggestion ..

    jch wrote:

    > OK, will use LOADDSKF.EXE. Found more recent fixpack ip084014 dated
    > 2001 at . Need to find CSF
    > disk, then proceed.

    Do not try to apply the 84014 Fix Pack over your current PEER for OS/2 in Warp
    4 FixPack 15. Please read the following NOTICE! which is in bold letters in
    the documentation for the preceeding 84013 Fix Pack for PEER:

    > ATTENTION!
    >
    > This fixpack requires at least CSF 1.43 to install!!
    >
    > It will *NOT* install unless you have already installed
    > at least PEER 8421 -- *AND* are using at least the
    > CSF service disk 1.43 or greater.
    >
    > No kidding!

    Further in the documentation for the 8413 Fix Pack note the following:

    > IBM Peer for OS/2 Version 4.0 FixPak IP08413 for U.S.-English
    >
    > Fixes for OS/2 LAN Requester and UPM are also included in this FixPak.
    >
    > This FixPak supercedes IP08407, IP08410 & IP08412.

    See that reference to the IP08407 above? Unless my memory is wrong and this
    has been a LONG time ago in Warp 4, I recall that you cannot upgrade into this
    venue unless you have PREVIOUSLY applied up to the Fix Pack 8407 level noted
    above for Warp 4. And if my memory isn't wrong, you also have to be past Fix
    Pack 15 for the basic level of Warp 4 to go here as well.

    Central to all this is a major issue with the length of the \PATH and \LIBPATH
    lines in your CONFIG.SYS file which if they are over 255 characters in length
    create failures in the whole PEER operation in OS/2 at pre 8407 levels. The
    later versions of the PEER support must have at least 8406 installed to even go
    here. That plus several other issues too.

    From my documentation and archives, the actual path which really needs to be
    used to cure the glitches that are more than just PEER related and actually
    involve the whole DHCP operations and so on, really focus out at a minimum
    'finished' level in Warp 4 of PEER Fix Pack 8608. That with a minimum of the
    actual Fix Pack 16 for Warp 4. The actual directory read for the complete 8608
    Fix Pack for PEER is:

    9-02-05 9:51p 739665 0 cs_144.exe
    9-02-05 9:49p 1470505 0 IP08608.1DK
    9-02-05 9:50p 1469993 0 IP08608.2DK
    9-02-05 9:50p 791081 0 IP08608.3DK
    9-02-05 10:45p 286 29 MAKEDISK.CMD

    If you want to use a .CMD file to create the three diskettes and the Service
    disk you can use the MAKEDISK.CMD which has the following text in it:

    Echo Makes floppies from IBM disk format with (3) disks.
    Echo Place disk #1 in floppy a:
    pause
    loaddskf IP08608.1dk a:
    echo Place disk #2 in floppy a:
    pause
    loaddskf IP08608.2dk a:
    echo Place disk #3 in floppy a:
    pause
    loaddskf IP08608.3dk a:
    echo That's it!
    pause

    That is as far as any of my Warp 4 boxes have gone and not to 8413+

    If you want to go to the final Fix Pack here, it is 8414. From the
    documentation for it you can read:

    > IBM Peer for OS/2 Version 4.0 FixPak IP08414 for U.S.-English
    >
    > Fixes for OS/2 LAN Requester and UPM are also included in this FixPak.
    >
    > This FixPak supercedes IP08407, IP08410, IP08412 & IP08413.
    >
    > WARNING: 1 - This FixPak must be installed using Corrective Service
    > Facility (CSF) 2-B Version 1.42 or above.

    And in it the directory here for this is as follows:

    1-27-01 10:33a 140891 0 fix08414.zip
    1-18-01 10:34a 1472041 0 IP08414.1DK
    1-18-01 10:35a 1472041 0 IP08414.2DK
    1-18-01 10:36a 1472041 0 IP08414.3DK
    1-18-01 10:37a 1472041 0 IP08414.4DK
    1-18-01 10:37a 866345 0 IP08414.5DK
    1-18-01 10:37a 1135 0 IP08414.TXT
    11-29-01 5:25p 512 0 MAKEDISK.CMD

    Note the *FAR* larger size of this fixpack and the number of diskettes in it?
    Again, from extensive wrestling with this and the really serious DHCP crash and
    lock issues for all of OS/2 that were finally fixed completely by the IBM crew,
    there is a lot more to fixing things in PEER and beyond, for modern use of OS/2
    than you really can do with just Warp 4. This all goes far beyond this into
    Merlin Convenience Pack. MCP1 really has to go to MCP2 and thence all the way
    up into at least its XRC04 Fixpack level, plus on into the needed MPTN and
    TCP/IP work far beyond the core Warp 4 level things.

    Yes, I have moved my Warp 4 boxes up to the 32 bit TCP/IP stuff. And so on.
    but, as I think you can see from what I have posted, it isn't just an issue of
    moving PEER up into the 8412+ level stuff without a *LOT* of other work. And
    you really do have to install the lower level fixpack for PEER, as I remember
    this, if you want to go there.

    Just trying to help here. Others may have better data or later info than my
    memory and library of fixes here addresses.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  7. Re: IBM Peer Fixpack ip08406

    Mike Luther wrote:
    > Suggestion ..
    >
    > jch wrote:
    >
    >> OK, will use LOADDSKF.EXE. Found more recent fixpack ip084014 dated
    >> 2001 at . Need to find CSF
    >> disk, then proceed.

    _____
    LOADDSKF.EXE does the trick! Makes readable/useable floppies.

    > Do not try to apply the 84014 Fix Pack over your current PEER for OS/2
    > in Warp 4 FixPack 15. Please read the following NOTICE! which is in
    > bold letters in the documentation for the preceeding 84013 Fix Pack for

    _____
    Thanks for the warning! I had no idea that it could be this involved.
    I remember having bad experiences with Warp FixPack 12 or 13 way back.
    I normally make a backup tape so that i can recover the entire system in
    case of trouble. I had to restore the system several times.

    > Central to all this is a major issue with the length of the \PATH and
    > \LIBPATH lines in your CONFIG.SYS file which if they are over 255
    > characters in length create failures in the whole PEER operation in OS/2
    > at pre 8407 levels. The later versions of the PEER support must have at
    > least 8406 installed to even go here. That plus several other issues too.

    _____
    The path length exceeds 255 characters, while the libpath does not.
    Should i try to reduce the path length to bring it back below 255?

    Should i try to update IBM Peer at all? It does the job i want it to
    do; access my samba shares on an OpenBSD server. What does Peer Fixpack
    ip084014 actually fix?
    --
    Regards / JCH

  8. Re: IBM Peer Fixpack ip08406

    jch schrieb:

    > Should i try to update IBM Peer at all? It does the job i want it to
    > do; access my samba shares on an OpenBSD server. What does Peer Fixpack
    > ip084014 actually fix?

    On tge first floppy there should be Readmes which includes this
    information.

    Hendrik

  9. Re: IBM Peer Fixpack ip08406

    A much simpler way is to use dskxtrct to unpack the .DSK files to a local
    directory:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...k/dskxtr13.zip (There is
    also other stuff at that place that you might find interesting.)

    Then run service.exe and let it point to the local directory. You do so by
    specifying a couple of environment variables before you call service.exe
    Those env vars are documented in some readme that comes with service.exe.
    The whole thing will then run (more or less) unattended. You might need to
    do a reboot to complete and activate the changes.

    Lars

    "jch" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > _____
    > I am trying to update IBM Peer on OS/2 Warp system (fixpack 15, kernel
    > 14.104a_W4). I prepared the diskette with IBM's RAWRITE.EXE and with
    > unix's DD utility. The IBM supplied CSF diskette prepared with either
    > method cannot be read or run standalone. Has anyone tried to perform this
    > update? If yes, what was the source of the diskettes? I downloaded mine
    > from
    > .
    > --
    > Regards / JCH