Samba, TVFS and NFS Question - OS2

This is a discussion on Samba, TVFS and NFS Question - OS2 ; _____ Hello All OS/2 Users, I use OS/2 Warp (fixpack 15, kernel 14.104a_W4). I also run an OpenBSD v3.6 file server with samba-2.2.12 package. The samba server works very well with Windows NT4 and 2000 Pro. I can see all ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    _____
    Hello All OS/2 Users,

    I use OS/2 Warp (fixpack 15, kernel 14.104a_W4). I also run an OpenBSD
    v3.6 file server with samba-2.2.12 package. The samba server works very
    well with Windows NT4 and 2000 Pro. I can see all the directories that
    are exported by the samba server on the desktop of both Windows
    machines. I would like to have the same functionality on my OS/2
    desktop. Is it possible to make this work with TVFS (Toronto Virtual
    File System) and NFS (for OS/2) without using IBM's peer-to-peer
    package? I have tried the samba client package for OS/2 some time ago.
    I could mount a samba share, but only access it via a command window,
    not via the desktop.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  2. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 00:29:23 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, jch
    wrote:

    > Is it possible to make this work with TVFS (Toronto Virtual
    > File System) and NFS (for OS/2)

    No.

    > without using IBM's peer-to-peer
    > package?

    Why? The IBM Peer worked fine with Samba 2.2.x last time I used it (Samba 2.2 is
    rather out of date and several years old).

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  3. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 00:29:23 UTC, jch wrote:

    > _____
    > Hello All OS/2 Users,
    >
    > I use OS/2 Warp (fixpack 15, kernel 14.104a_W4). I also run an OpenBSD
    > v3.6 file server with samba-2.2.12 package. The samba server works very
    > well with Windows NT4 and 2000 Pro. I can see all the directories that
    > are exported by the samba server on the desktop of both Windows
    > machines. I would like to have the same functionality on my OS/2
    > desktop. Is it possible to make this work with TVFS (Toronto Virtual
    > File System) and NFS (for OS/2) without using IBM's peer-to-peer
    > package? I have tried the samba client package for OS/2 some time ago.
    > I could mount a samba share, but only access it via a command window,
    > not via the desktop.

    I guess the question is...why would you want to, when Peer works fine
    with Samba?

    I run two Samba servers here, and both are accessed from OS/2 machines.
    I do use a rather more up to date version of Samba - 3.0.28a right now.

    --
    Bob Eager

  4. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 09:12:28 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Bob Eager"
    wrote:

    > I run two Samba servers here, and both are accessed from OS/2 machines.
    > I do use a rather more up to date version of Samba - 3.0.28a right now.

    I always found Samba 2.x cooperated far better with OS/2 than any of the 3.x
    series. They broke huge chunks of it with 3.x and have still not fixed it all
    (it's still not possible to mount an OS/2 JFS drive as a Samba share on Linux
    for example).

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 10:24:40 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 09:12:28 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Bob Eager"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I run two Samba servers here, and both are accessed from OS/2 machines.
    > > I do use a rather more up to date version of Samba - 3.0.28a right now.

    > I always found Samba 2.x cooperated far better with OS/2 than any of the 3.x
    > series. They broke huge chunks of it with 3.x and have still not fixed it all
    > (it's still not possible to mount an OS/2 JFS drive as a Samba share on Linux
    > for example).

    That's the 'other way round', of course.

    But I just tried it here, and mounted a JFS drive with no trouble from a
    Samba 3.0.28a system. The OS/2 system is not running Samba.

    The client is, however, a FreeBSD machine, not Linux.

    --
    Bob Eager

  6. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 00:29:23 UTC, jch wrote:

    > I have tried the samba client package for OS/2 some time ago.
    > I could mount a samba share, but only access it via a command
    > window, not via the desktop.

    Are you sure you were using the right package(s)? The standard
    installation requires NetDrive and the Samba Client plugin:

    http://www.blueprintsoftwareworks.co...es/ndfs310.zip

    ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/samba/clie...0-20080529.ZIP

    You can use NetDrive to create one or more drives, and attach your
    shares to them however you wish. When I first got it I used the
    GUI to create my drives and attach the shares. Now that I'm
    familiar with it, I find it's easier to do that using a couple
    of simple scripts.

    BTW... although NetDrive is shareware, it's free for use with the
    SMB Client plugin.

    --
    == == almost usable email address: Rich AT E-vertise.Com == ==

    | DragText v3.9 with NLS support
    Rich Walsh | A Distinctly Different Desktop Enhancement
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/dragtext/

  7. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    jch wrote:
    > I have tried the samba client package for OS/2 some time ago.
    > I could mount a samba share, but only access it via a command window,
    > not via the desktop.

    _____
    Thanks for all your quick responses re my samba question. I shall
    install IBM Peer, and see how it works with the current version i run
    under OpenBSD. Am i correct in saying that EAs are not handled with
    samba-2.2.12 ? I read somewhere that there is a parameter that must be
    set in the samba config file to support EAs, but likely in a more recent
    samba package. To upgrade to a current samba version i would have to
    upgrade the file server to the most recent OpenBSD release. That is
    quite a bit of work.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  8. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 05:24:40 -0500, Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 09:12:28 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Bob Eager"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I run two Samba servers here, and both are accessed from OS/2 machines.
    >> I do use a rather more up to date version of Samba - 3.0.28a right now.

    >I always found Samba 2.x cooperated far better with OS/2 than any of the 3.x
    >series. They broke huge chunks of it with 3.x and have still not fixed it all
    >(it's still not possible to mount an OS/2 JFS drive as a Samba share on Linux
    >for example).
    >
    >--
    >Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    >Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

    It is possible, at least on some distributions (I only have experience with
    Ubuntu 8.04 here). I had set up a test Ubuntu system to play with and had
    problems connecting to an eCs 1.2 share, so I did some looking around and
    found the following:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/samba/+bug/112839

    At the end of the exchange is the command I used, and, lo and behold, it
    worked.

    --
    Len Small
    lnsmall@verizon.net

  9. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 17:25:17 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Leonard N Small"
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 05:24:40 -0500, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > >
    > >On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 09:12:28 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Bob Eager"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I run two Samba servers here, and both are accessed from OS/2 machines.
    > >> I do use a rather more up to date version of Samba - 3.0.28a right now.

    > >I always found Samba 2.x cooperated far better with OS/2 than any of the 3.x
    > >series. They broke huge chunks of it with 3.x and have still not fixed it all
    > >(it's still not possible to mount an OS/2 JFS drive as a Samba share on Linux
    > >for example).
    > >
    > >--
    > >Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    > >Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

    > It is possible, at least on some distributions (I only have experience with
    > Ubuntu 8.04 here). I had set up a test Ubuntu system to play with and had
    > problems connecting to an eCs 1.2 share, so I did some looking around and
    > found the following:
    >
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/samba/+bug/112839
    >
    > At the end of the exchange is the command I used, and, lo and behold, it
    > worked.

    Well done! After all these years, I can finally share my 600GB RAID array across
    to my linux box.

    Just in case that link goes dead, here is what I used to gain access from Linux
    to OS/2.

    mount -t cifs -o username=trevor,servern=OS2BOX,sec=lanman //OS2BOX/OS2_I
    /mnt/temp/

    This was from Centos 5.2 running Samba (and client) 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1 to OS/2
    Warp Server for eBusiness.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  10. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    jch wrote:
    > jch wrote:
    >> I have tried the samba client package for OS/2 some time ago. I could
    >> mount a samba share, but only access it via a command window, not via
    >> the desktop.

    > _____
    > Thanks for all your quick responses re my samba question. I shall
    > install IBM Peer, and see how it works with the current version i run
    > under OpenBSD.

    _____
    Installed IBM Peer by running on IBM's distribution Warp 4 CD 84H3109
    ..../IMG/IBMPEER/PEERRMT.EXE. Gave computer suitable NAME, and added
    DOMAINNAME that is the same as on the OpenBSD samba server. Must have
    made an error somewhere. Cannot log on at all, no matter what. MPTS
    shows correct protocols TCPIP and NETBIOS for NIC. Absolutely nothing
    works. Removed Peer for now.

    Hoping you folks can help a bit. There is a link to a setup procedure
    at MIT by Frank R. Field:
    http://www.mit.edu/activities/os2/peer/WARPPEER.HTM. In this document
    he says that "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" protocol is also needed. Can anyone
    confirm this please?
    --
    Regards / JCH

  11. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    jch wrote:
    > jch wrote:
    >> I have tried the samba client package for OS/2 some time ago. I could
    >> mount a samba share, but only access it via a command window, not via
    >> the desktop.

    > _____

    > and see how it works with the current version i run
    > under OpenBSD.

    _____
    Some further notes: The system simply has not asked me to configure a
    User ID/Password combination. I see in the docs the command "NET
    PASSWORD" to reset passwords, but that is of no use. I tried UID=GUEST,
    PSW=guest, and that let me log onto the LAN. Will do some more work on
    this Peer package tomorrow. Local time is 00:01:07.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  12. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 06:08:17 UTC, jch wrote:

    > jch wrote:
    > > jch wrote:
    > >> I have tried the samba client package for OS/2 some time ago. I could
    > >> mount a samba share, but only access it via a command window, not via
    > >> the desktop.

    > > _____
    > > Thanks for all your quick responses re my samba question. I shall
    > > install IBM Peer, and see how it works with the current version i run
    > > under OpenBSD.

    > _____
    > Installed IBM Peer by running on IBM's distribution Warp 4 CD 84H3109
    > .../IMG/IBMPEER/PEERRMT.EXE. Gave computer suitable NAME, and added
    > DOMAINNAME that is the same as on the OpenBSD samba server. Must have
    > made an error somewhere. Cannot log on at all, no matter what. MPTS
    > shows correct protocols TCPIP and NETBIOS for NIC. Absolutely nothing
    > works. Removed Peer for now.
    >
    > Hoping you folks can help a bit. There is a link to a setup procedure
    > at MIT by Frank R. Field:
    > http://www.mit.edu/activities/os2/peer/WARPPEER.HTM. In this document
    > he says that "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" protocol is also needed. Can anyone
    > confirm this please?

    It is needed. It is the only protocol that Samba (or modern Windows, by
    default) suppot. 'NETBIOS' on its own is not needed.
    --
    Bob Eager

  13. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 07:01:19 GMT, jch wrote:

    > Some further notes: The system simply has not asked me to configure a
    > User ID/Password combination. I see in the docs the command "NET
    > PASSWORD" to reset passwords, but that is of no use. I tried UID=GUEST,
    > PSW=guest, and that let me log onto the LAN.

    The default admin. logon is USERID/PASSWORD. You need to logon using that,
    then use \MUGLIB\UPMACCTS to create a new admin. user (and whatever other
    users you require), then delete the default logon once you are satisfied
    your new one works.

  14. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 09:36:59 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 07:01:19 GMT, jch wrote:
    >
    > > Some further notes: The system simply has not asked me to configure a
    > > User ID/Password combination. I see in the docs the command "NET
    > > PASSWORD" to reset passwords, but that is of no use. I tried UID=GUEST,
    > > PSW=guest, and that let me log onto the LAN.

    > The default admin. logon is USERID/PASSWORD. You need to logon using that,
    > then use \MUGLIB\UPMACCTS to create a new admin. user (and whatever other
    > users you require), then delete the default logon once you are satisfied
    > your new one works.

    WRT this issue, I have a question.

    I forgot (shame) my userid/password couple, which I set upon
    installing eCS, so that for now I'm stuck with FTP if I want to
    exchange files to/from another machine.

    FTP is way more comfortable than flash drive swapping (does someone
    remember when we were floppy-disk jockeys?), but a shared directory
    would be better, so I'm searching how to recover my ID and password.
    Do I have to reinstall (well I should do this the same, to bring eCS
    from RC3 to RC5)?

    Thanks.
    Mentore

  15. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On 08/03/08 11:35 am Mentore Siesto wrote:

    > I forgot (shame) my userid/password couple, which I set upon
    > installing eCS, so that for now I'm stuck with FTP if I want to
    > exchange files to/from another machine.
    >
    > FTP is way more comfortable than flash drive swapping (does someone
    > remember when we were floppy-disk jockeys?), but a shared directory
    > would be better, so I'm searching how to recover my ID and password.
    > Do I have to reinstall (well I should do this the same, to bring eCS
    > from RC3 to RC5)?

    If you can boot from a maintenance partition or installation disks, you
    could copy the file \IBMLAN\INSTALL\NET.ACC back in place of
    \IBMLAN\ACCOUNTS\NET.ACC. You will then start afresh with the default
    USERID and PASSWORD

    Perce

  16. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 07:01:19 GMT, jch wrote:
    >
    >> Some further notes: The system simply has not asked me to configure a
    >> User ID/Password combination. I see in the docs the command "NET
    >> PASSWORD" to reset passwords, but that is of no use. I tried UID=GUEST,
    >> PSW=guest, and that let me log onto the LAN.

    > The default admin. logon is USERID/PASSWORD. You need to logon using that,
    > then use \MUGLIB\UPMACCTS to create a new admin. user (and whatever other
    > users you require), then delete the default logon once you are satisfied
    > your new one works.

    _____
    Paul,

    Good stuff! Worked, and got me into the local workstation. I read
    through a lot of the system INF documents, but could not find anything
    about default UID and PSW info. I have a copy of a book "OS/2 Warp
    Unleashed" from Sams Publishing, dated 1998. On page 878, Chapter 17,
    2nd paragraph i says that the default admin id = USERID. What is not
    mentioned anywhere in the book is the password. Where is the UID and
    PSW combination documented? Now i need to tackle the LAN itself.

    Thanks again for your help.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  17. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 15:35:10 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Mentore Siesto"
    wrote:

    > I'm searching how to recover my ID and password.
    > Do I have to reinstall (well I should do this the same, to bring eCS
    > from RC3 to RC5)?

    Boot using Alt+F1 to a command prompt then copy \ibmlan\install\net.acc to
    \ibmlan\accounts\net.acc then reboot and logon as userid/password

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  18. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 18:48:43 GMT, jch wrote:

    > I read through a lot of the system INF documents, but could not find
    > anything about default UID and PSW info. I have a copy of a book "OS/2 Warp
    > Unleashed" from Sams Publishing, dated 1998. On page 878, Chapter 17,
    > 2nd paragraph i says that the default admin id = USERID. What is not
    > mentioned anywhere in the book is the password. Where is the UID and
    > PSW combination documented?

    No idea I'm afraid. It is just one of the things that I know from somewhere
    or other.

  19. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 18:48:43 GMT, jch wrote:
    >
    >> I read through a lot of the system INF documents, but could not find
    >> anything about default UID and PSW info. I have a copy of a book "OS/2 Warp
    >> Unleashed" from Sams Publishing, dated 1998. On page 878, Chapter 17,
    >> 2nd paragraph i says that the default admin id = USERID. What is not
    >> mentioned anywhere in the book is the password. Where is the UID and
    >> PSW combination documented?

    > No idea I'm afraid. It is just one of the things that I know from somewhere
    > or other.

    _____
    OK. Making slow progress.

    Using TCPIP and NETBIOS protocols bound to the NIC, here is what i have:
    1. In the File and print client resource browser folder - shows the
    workstation i am using, an NT4 system with printer share, another OS/2
    computer in the basement. I do not see the OpenBSD samba server anywhere.
    2. When i open the domain icon in LAN Server Administration, after a
    delay of about 15 seconds i get a domain window, and User Account icon.
    When i try to open that folder, i get another folder with a message
    that says "NET 2453: The domain controller for this domain can not be
    found.". How do i solve this?

    Is there a decent "How-To" anywhere i can follow to set up shares and
    the like?
    --
    Regards / JCH

  20. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 05:30:56 UTC, jch wrote:

    > OK. Making slow progress.
    >
    > Using TCPIP and NETBIOS protocols bound to the NIC, here is what i have:
    > 1. In the File and print client resource browser folder - shows the
    > workstation i am using, an NT4 system with printer share, another OS/2
    > computer in the basement. I do not see the OpenBSD samba server anywhere.
    > 2. When i open the domain icon in LAN Server Administration, after a
    > delay of about 15 seconds i get a domain window, and User Account icon.
    > When i try to open that folder, i get another folder with a message
    > that says "NET 2453: The domain controller for this domain can not be
    > found.". How do i solve this?

    That's because you don't have a central domain controller (e.g. LAN
    Server) for authentication. So you don't use the domain part. Also,
    logging on, you may need:

    logon userid /password /v:l

    (that's "verify locally").

    It's worth modifying \IBMLAN\IBMLAN.INI to make that the default; under
    [requester], ensure that wrkheuristic 37 is set to 1 (long line of
    digits).

    That's unless you set Samba up to be a domain controller (unlikely, but
    some people do (I did!)).

    View the shares etc. using the 'Sharing and Connecting' object. The
    domain object asks the non-existent domain controller for a share list.

    --
    Bob Eager

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast