Samba, TVFS and NFS Question - OS2

This is a discussion on Samba, TVFS and NFS Question - OS2 ; Bob Eager wrote: > On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 05:30:56 UTC, jch wrote: > >> OK. Making slow progress. >> >> Using TCPIP and NETBIOS protocols bound to the NIC, here is what i have: >> 1. In the File ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 05:30:56 UTC, jch wrote:
    >
    >> OK. Making slow progress.
    >>
    >> Using TCPIP and NETBIOS protocols bound to the NIC, here is what i have:
    >> 1. In the File and print client resource browser folder - shows the
    >> workstation i am using, an NT4 system with printer share, another OS/2
    >> computer in the basement. I do not see the OpenBSD samba server anywhere.
    >> 2. When i open the domain icon in LAN Server Administration, after a
    >> delay of about 15 seconds i get a domain window, and User Account icon.
    >> When i try to open that folder, i get another folder with a message
    >> that says "NET 2453: The domain controller for this domain can not be
    >> found.". How do i solve this?

    > That's because you don't have a central domain controller (e.g. LAN
    > Server) for authentication. So you don't use the domain part. Also,
    > logging on, you may need:
    >
    > logon userid /password /v:l
    >
    > (that's "verify locally").
    >
    > It's worth modifying \IBMLAN\IBMLAN.INI to make that the default; under
    > [requester], ensure that wrkheuristic 37 is set to 1 (long line of
    > digits).
    >
    > That's unless you set Samba up to be a domain controller (unlikely, but
    > some people do (I did!)).
    >
    > View the shares etc. using the 'Sharing and Connecting' object. The
    > domain object asks the non-existent domain controller for a share list.

    _____
    Bob,

    Thanks, that makes sense. I am confused by the use of the DOMAIN name
    which i set to be the same as the Windows/Samba workgroup.

    So, i only need to log on locally for all the Samba shares to show up?

    Note that i have TCPIP and NETBIOS protocols bound to the NIC. Earlier
    you confirmed that "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" protocol is required:
    > It is needed. It is the only protocol that Samba (or modern Windows, by
    > default) support. 'NETBIOS' on its own is not needed.

    I will remove the NETBIOS protocol, and install the NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    That means i will have TCPIP _and_ NetBIOS over TCP/IP. If this change
    gives me access to the Samba shares, then my goal has been reached.

    Do i still need a domain controller? If yes, please tell me what i have
    to add to the smb.conf file to set that up.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  2. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:19:06 UTC, jch wrote:

    > Thanks, that makes sense. I am confused by the use of the DOMAIN name
    > which i set to be the same as the Windows/Samba workgroup.

    The two names perform a similar function, in a very loose sense.

    > So, i only need to log on locally for all the Samba shares to show up?

    Should be. It simply means that every transaction gets username/password
    automatically attached to be used for validation at the far end.

    > Note that i have TCPIP and NETBIOS protocols bound to the NIC. Earlier
    > you confirmed that "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" protocol is required:
    > > It is needed. It is the only protocol that Samba (or modern Windows, by
    > > default) support. 'NETBIOS' on its own is not needed.

    > I will remove the NETBIOS protocol, and install the NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    > That means i will have TCPIP _and_ NetBIOS over TCP/IP. If this change
    > gives me access to the Samba shares, then my goal has been reached.

    Yes. TCP/IP is the 'carrier' for NETBIOS, in IBM terminology.

    > Do i still need a domain controller? If yes, please tell me what i have
    > to add to the smb.conf file to set that up.

    The domain controller is a completely separate system, and is not needed
    in this case.

    --
    Bob Eager

  3. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:19:06 UTC, jch wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, that makes sense. I am confused by the use of the DOMAIN name
    >> which i set to be the same as the Windows/Samba workgroup.

    > The two names perform a similar function, in a very loose sense.
    >
    >> So, i only need to log on locally for all the Samba shares to show up?

    > Should be. It simply means that every transaction gets username/password
    > automatically attached to be used for validation at the far end.
    >
    >> Note that i have TCPIP and NETBIOS protocols bound to the NIC. Earlier
    >> you confirmed that "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" protocol is required:
    >>> It is needed. It is the only protocol that Samba (or modern Windows, by
    >>> default) support. 'NETBIOS' on its own is not needed.

    >> I will remove the NETBIOS protocol, and install the NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    >> That means i will have TCPIP _and_ NetBIOS over TCP/IP. If this change
    >> gives me access to the Samba shares, then my goal has been reached.

    > Yes. TCP/IP is the 'carrier' for NETBIOS, in IBM terminology.
    >
    >> Do i still need a domain controller? If yes, please tell me what i have
    >> to add to the smb.conf file to set that up.

    > The domain controller is a completely separate system, and is not needed
    > in this case.

    _____
    Thanks again.

    I achieved success at last! I added the "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" to the
    TCPIP and NETBIOS protocols, and followed the instructions at
    to the letter.
    Sure enough, the IBMLAN.INI configuration file lacks the NET2
    information that is described in the link above.

    Now the two Samba servers (i have two different versions running; 1 is a
    file server, 2 is a print server) on the network show up with all the
    shares. There are some problems with the (shadow) names of the shared
    objects in that they change into a single dot. To be thorough, i should
    probably install the Peer fixpack ip08406 at
    .
    Perhaps the update will fix that problem.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  4. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 18:55:10 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 15:35:10 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Mentore Siesto"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I'm searching how to recover my ID and password.
    > > Do I have to reinstall (well I should do this the same, to bring eCS
    > > from RC3 to RC5)?

    > Boot using Alt+F1 to a command prompt then copy \ibmlan\install\net.acc to
    > \ibmlan\accounts\net.acc then reboot and logon as userid/password

    So it's as simple as "userid" and "password"? Thank you, I will take
    notice.

    Bye bye to all - I'm leaving for my hometown, I will be nearly totally
    offline for two weeks...

    Mentore

  5. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:59:48 UTC, jch wrote:

    > >> So, i only need to log on locally for all the Samba shares to show up?

    > > Should be. It simply means that every transaction gets username/password
    > > automatically attached to be used for validation at the far end.

    BTW, be careful with your terminology. What you're doing is "network logon
    with local verification", which is not the same thing as a "local logon".

    > Now the two Samba servers (i have two different versions running; 1 is a
    > file server, 2 is a print server) on the network show up with all the
    > shares. There are some problems with the (shadow) names of the shared
    > objects in that they change into a single dot. To be thorough, i should
    > probably install the Peer fixpack ip08406 at
    > .
    > Perhaps the update will fix that problem.

    ip08414 is more recent.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  6. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 05:30:56 UTC, jch wrote:

    > Using TCPIP and NETBIOS protocols bound to the NIC, here is what i have:
    > 1. In the File and print client resource browser folder - shows the
    > workstation i am using, an NT4 system with printer share, another OS/2
    > computer in the basement. I do not see the OpenBSD samba server anywhere.
    > 2. When i open the domain icon in LAN Server Administration, after a
    > delay of about 15 seconds i get a domain window, and User Account icon.
    > When i try to open that folder, i get another folder with a message
    > that says "NET 2453: The domain controller for this domain can not be
    > found.". How do i solve this?
    >
    > Is there a decent "How-To" anywhere i can follow to set up shares and
    > the like?

    No, but it's simple:

    OS2/eCS uses 2 different strategies to login:

    A your system is hosted in a domain (that means there is a real
    server like WSoD, WinServer or Linux Server) then there is a domain
    controller working that makes administration of the whole net (users
    and resources) central for a network admininistrator. That means you
    have to login with UID and password to Domain (the 3. entryfield on
    the dialo).

    B you're on a (home) network whereas no server exists. For using
    network you would activate PEER in ibmlan.ini. In that case yopu would
    use the other login dialog that presents only 2 entryfields (UID and
    password).

    Oh, yes, the difference is that server login will login you into the
    whole net at once, giving you access to the domain controller. The
    peer login will you login only to the peer servers (ordinary clients
    that are willing to share some resources with users/groups they alone
    are willing to do so. Yes, it is possible to a client to share some of
    its resources with other users even when they are members of an
    dommain. So you'll needs 2 different logins (one to the domain and
    another to the peer server on that specific client.

    To get a login to to a peer server you must be a known user of that
    mashine. For that you, as the administrator of that client would login
    as admint on your own mashine and define userid and password for each
    user you will allow sharing (some) resource with users of other
    computers. That means you'll fires up the object "shared resouource
    and networks" and create the groups and users you likes to give access
    to the resources (disks, directories, printers, modems) connected to
    your mshining.

    Then a user of another mashine on your network will register himself
    als admin of his own mashine using userid andd password you have
    registerd for ready to connect to the reources on your mashine you
    have allowed him to see. Then he will see your resource in a list and
    may connect to them.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  7. Re: Samba, TVFS and NFS Question

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:19:06 UTC, jch wrote:

    A workgroup is not a domain and a domain is not a workgroup.

    > Thanks, that makes sense. I am confused by the use of the DOMAIN name
    > which i set to be the same as the Windows/Samba workgroup.
    >
    > So, i only need to log on locally for all the Samba shares to show up?

    No, you'll logon locally to get access to the resources you're allwed
    to get access too. That does not mean "all".

    > Note that i have TCPIP and NETBIOS protocols bound to the NIC. Earlier
    > you confirmed that "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" protocol is required:
    > > It is needed. It is the only protocol that Samba (or modern Windows, by
    > > default) support. 'NETBIOS' on its own is not needed.

    You can have 'netbios' and 'netbios over IP' connected at the same
    time. As there are only maximal 2 connections allwoed to a virtual
    network card you'll need then to register 2 virtual network cards by
    saying connect 'tcp/ip' and 'netbios over IP' to card 0 amd 'netbios'
    to 1. It is impossibe to connect 'netbios' and 'netbios over IP' to
    the same virtual NIC.

    > I will remove the NETBIOS protocol, and install the NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

    No need to remove netbios. Simply add 'netvbios over ip' to the next
    channel.

    > That means i will have TCPIP _and_ NetBIOS over TCP/IP. If this change
    > gives me access to the Samba shares, then my goal has been reached.
    >
    > Do i still need a domain controller? If yes, please tell me what i have
    > to add to the smb.conf file to set that up.

    No, a workgroup is enough - except you have really installed a server
    and needs access to that server.