Netbios over TCP/IP - OS2

This is a discussion on Netbios over TCP/IP - OS2 ; I installed NetBT on Warp because Win XP x64 seems not to support non routable Netbios which I have always used for file and printer sharing. Whilst install went smoothly and sharing works well, an unwanted consequence is the router ...

  1. Netbios over TCP/IP

    I installed NetBT on Warp because Win XP x64 seems not to support non routable
    Netbios which I have always used for file and printer sharing.

    Whilst install went smoothly and sharing works well, an unwanted consequence is
    the router opening the LAN to the internet very frequently.

    Win firewall log tells me that Warp is sending a UDP subnet broadcast every
    minute, which I assume is the trigger for opening the gateway. How might I stop
    this?

  2. Re: Netbios over TCP/IP

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:58:48 UTC, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:

    > I installed NetBT on Warp because Win XP x64 seems not to support non routable
    > Netbios which I have always used for file and printer sharing.

    XP x32 supports it - you just have to install it manually from the CD.
    Isn't the same available for x64 ?

    --
    Allan.

    It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
    than to open it, and remove all doubt.

  3. Re: Netbios over TCP/IP

    On 07/31/08 12:58 am, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    > I installed NetBT on Warp because Win XP x64 seems not to support non routable
    > Netbios which I have always used for file and printer sharing.
    >
    > Whilst install went smoothly and sharing works well, an unwanted consequence is
    > the router opening the LAN to the internet very frequently.
    >
    > Win firewall log tells me that Warp is sending a UDP subnet broadcast every
    > minute, which I assume is the trigger for opening the gateway. How might I stop
    > this?

    Really for this you should be using Samba, located at netlabs IIRC.
    Dave

  4. Re: Netbios over TCP/IP

    On 07/31/08 12:58 am, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:

    > Whilst install went smoothly and sharing works well, an unwanted consequence is
    > the router opening the LAN to the internet very frequently.
    >
    > Win firewall log tells me that Warp is sending a UDP subnet broadcast every
    > minute, which I assume is the trigger for opening the gateway. How might I stop
    > this?

    Set up your router to block i/o for ports 137, 138, 139 and 445.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  5. Re: Netbios over TCP/IP

    In , Jim Moe writes:
    >On 07/31/08 12:58 am, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    >>
    >> Whilst install went smoothly and sharing works well, an unwanted consequence is
    >> the router opening the LAN to the internet very frequently.
    >>
    >> Win firewall log tells me that Warp is sending a UDP subnet broadcast every
    >> minute, which I assume is the trigger for opening the gateway. How might I stop
    >> this?
    >>

    > Set up your router to block i/o for ports 137, 138, 139 and 445.

    Yours was the winning suggestion Jim. I had tried filtering the router but my
    choice of rules was not effective.

    Thanks to all.

  6. Re: Netbios over TCP/IP

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 07:23:52 UTC, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:

    > In , Jim Moe writes:
    > >On 07/31/08 12:58 am, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Whilst install went smoothly and sharing works well, an unwanted consequence is
    > >> the router opening the LAN to the internet very frequently.
    > >>
    > >> Win firewall log tells me that Warp is sending a UDP subnet broadcast every
    > >> minute, which I assume is the trigger for opening the gateway. How might I stop
    > >> this?
    > >>

    > > Set up your router to block i/o for ports 137, 138, 139 and 445.

    Always a good advise:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/advisories/2556

    > Yours was the winning suggestion Jim. I had tried filtering the router but my
    > choice of rules was not effective.
    >
    > Thanks to all.

    OS/2 only broadcast packets that are explicitly laid down in the NBT
    Broadcast list (\ibmcom\rfcbcst.lst). So if you use 192.168.1.255 the
    router knows it is for your LAN only and does not need to establish a
    connection to the internet.

    The Windows version of NetBIOS via TCP/IP automatically uses
    255.255.255.255 as a broadcast address. So it broadcasts the samba
    server to the world. Many ISP's blocked port 138 of the NetBIOS
    Datagram Service. Otherwise your neighbours show up in the Network
    Neighborhood !

    Sjoerd Visser

+ Reply to Thread