Another VIM for OS/2 Question - OS2

This is a discussion on Another VIM for OS/2 Question - OS2 ; _____ Hello All OS/2 Users, Now that i have vim working well under OS/2 Warp (fixpack 15, kernel 14.104a_W4), i wish to know how to set the system wide default behaviour to open, say, a data file (such as config.sys) ...

  1. Another VIM for OS/2 Question

    _____
    Hello All OS/2 Users,

    Now that i have vim working well under OS/2 Warp (fixpack 15, kernel
    14.104a_W4), i wish to know how to set the system wide default behaviour
    to open, say, a data file (such as config.sys) with vim.exe instead of
    e.exe. I tried this already:
    1) renamed e.exe to ee.exe, made copy of c:\vim\vim70vim.exe ->
    c:\vim\vim70\e.exe. This works for command line invocation of e. It
    does _not_ work when i double click on a data file that normally opens
    with e.exe. It still opens with e.exe!
    2) added a vim menu item in the Properties notebook page, and set the
    default open action to point to vim. This works.

    How do i make this happen for all regular "data files" that would
    normally use e.exe?

    --
    Regards / JCH

  2. Re: Another VIM for OS/2 Question

    In , on 07/20/2008
    at 07:42 PM, jch said:

    Hi,

    > 1) renamed e.exe to ee.exe, made copy of c:\vim\vim70vim.exe ->
    >c:\vim\vim70\e.exe. This works for command line invocation of e. It
    >does _not_ work when i double click on a data file that normally opens
    >with e.exe. It still opens with e.exe!

    This is expected. The command line does not know how the WPS is
    configured. The reverse is generally true too

    > 2) added a vim menu item in the Properties notebook page, and set the
    >default open action to point to vim. This works.

    This is expected. You are setting WPS properties, so the WPS now knows
    what you want it to do.

    >How do i make this happen for all regular "data files" that would
    >normally use e.exe?

    What you want to do is associate the datafiles with the Program Reference
    object you created to run VIM. If you don't have a Program Reference
    object for VIM, drag a Programm object template to the Desktop and create
    one.

    Get assoedit.zip from Hobbes. It makes the job less labor intensive.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 11pre14 #10183

  3. Re: Another VIM for OS/2 Question

    Steven Levine wrote:
    > In , on 07/20/2008
    > at 07:42 PM, jch said:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    >> 1) renamed e.exe to ee.exe, made copy of c:\vim\vim70vim.exe ->
    >> c:\vim\vim70\e.exe. This works for command line invocation of e. It
    >> does _not_ work when i double click on a data file that normally opens
    >> with e.exe. It still opens with e.exe!

    > This is expected. The command line does not know how the WPS is
    > configured. The reverse is generally true too
    >
    >> 2) added a vim menu item in the Properties notebook page, and set the
    >> default open action to point to vim. This works.

    > This is expected. You are setting WPS properties, so the WPS now knows
    > what you want it to do.
    >
    >> How do i make this happen for all regular "data files" that would
    >> normally use e.exe?

    > What you want to do is associate the datafiles with the Program Reference
    > object you created to run VIM. If you don't have a Program Reference
    > object for VIM, drag a Programm object template to the Desktop and create
    > one.
    >
    > Get assoedit.zip from Hobbes. It makes the job less labor intensive.

    _____
    Steven,

    Excellent suggestion! I Downloaded assoedit, ran it, associated vim (in
    fact an OS/2 command file that calls vim) with files i need to open with
    it, and it all works beautifully. The power and flexibility of OS/2
    continues to amaze me. Interestingly, e.exe did not have any
    associations by default. That is why it would attempt to open binary,
    and graphics files instead of only text, *.cmd, *.bat, C, FORTRAN, BASIC
    and other source files.

    / John

    --
    Regards / JCH

  4. Re: Another VIM for OS/2 Question

    On 07/20/08 12:42 pm, jch wrote:
    > 1) renamed e.exe to ee.exe, made copy of c:\vim\vim70vim.exe ->
    > c:\vim\vim70\e.exe. This works for command line invocation of e. It
    > does _not_ work when i double click on a data file that normally opens
    > with e.exe. It still opens with e.exe!

    Also this kind of thing does not work for the WPS. It is smart enough to
    know that you renamed e.exe and will just load ee.exe. I once changed
    e.exe to e.exe.bak and the WPS kept loading e.exe.bak when clicking
    unassociated files
    Dave

  5. Re: Another VIM for OS/2 Question

    Hi Dave

    Dave Yeo wrote:
    > On 07/20/08 12:42 pm, jch wrote:
    >> 1) renamed e.exe to ee.exe, made copy of c:\vim\vim70vim.exe ->
    >> c:\vim\vim70\e.exe. This works for command line invocation of e. It
    >> does _not_ work when i double click on a data file that normally opens
    >> with e.exe. It still opens with e.exe!

    > Also this kind of thing does not work for the WPS. It is smart enough to
    > know that you renamed e.exe and will just load ee.exe. I once changed
    > e.exe to e.exe.bak and the WPS kept loading e.exe.bak when clicking
    > unassociated files
    > Dave

    The only way around that is to use copy rather than rename - and, of
    course, delete the original file after copying.

    Regards

    Pete

  6. Re: Another VIM for OS/2 Question

    On 07/21/08 06:21 am, Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Dave
    >
    > Dave Yeo wrote:
    >> On 07/20/08 12:42 pm, jch wrote:
    >>> 1) renamed e.exe to ee.exe, made copy of c:\vim\vim70vim.exe ->
    >>> c:\vim\vim70\e.exe. This works for command line invocation of e. It
    >>> does _not_ work when i double click on a data file that normally opens
    >>> with e.exe. It still opens with e.exe!

    >> Also this kind of thing does not work for the WPS. It is smart enough to
    >> know that you renamed e.exe and will just load ee.exe. I once changed
    >> e.exe to e.exe.bak and the WPS kept loading e.exe.bak when clicking
    >> unassociated files
    >> Dave

    > The only way around that is to use copy rather than rename - and, of
    > course, delete the original file after copying.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Or edit the program name in preferences.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread