Pronews/2 v1.60 cp125 now available - OS2

This is a discussion on Pronews/2 v1.60 cp125 now available - OS2 ; I'm pleased to announce the release of Pronews/2 v1.60 Pronews/2 is a multithreaded NNTP Newsreader program for OS/2. If you are upgrading from any Pronews/2 release prior to 1.59 you are strongly advised to make a backup copy of the ...

  1. Pronews/2 v1.60 cp125 now available

    I'm pleased to announce the release of Pronews/2 v1.60

    Pronews/2 is a multithreaded NNTP Newsreader program for OS/2.

    If you are upgrading from any Pronews/2 release prior to 1.59 you are strongly
    advised to make a backup copy of the file \pronews\toolbar.ini as this release
    changes the on-disk format of this file. You will not be able to run a previous
    release of Pronews/2 unless you restore an old copy of this file.

    If you are upgrading from a release prior to 1.54 then you are strongly urged to
    backup your existing filter files as the files have a different on-disk format
    from 1.54 onwards. Failure to backup files *.FLT in \pronews and
    \pronews\headers will mean it will be impossible to use your filters if you
    should need to revert to a release prior to 1.54. You should also read the
    readme.txt file installed in the \pronews directory as this covers changes and
    new features from prior releases as well as tips for making Pronews/2 quicker.

    You can find Pronews/2 1.60 on ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/incoming (later to be
    ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/internet/news/reader) as pn2v160.zip.

    Pronews/2 is shareware and all profits from its sale are donated to the charity
    Save the Children.

    Pronews/2 v1.60 is a relatively small update with a few bugs fixed. There are
    no new features in this release. A list of the fixes is available in your
    \pronews directory after install in the file fixed.txt.

    More information about all changes and installation instructions can be found in
    the readme file after (or during) the install.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  2. Re: Pronews/2 v1.60 cp125 now available

    On 19 Lug, 21:37, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:
    > I'm pleased to announce the release of Pronews/2 v1.60
    >
    > Pronews/2 is a multithreaded NNTP Newsreader program for OS/2.

    Hi Trevor!

    Just a quick reply to thank you for this new release. I own ProNews
    since some year ago and find it one of the best newsreader I've ever
    seen/used.

    A question: what about NLS for ProNews? It would be interesting, don't
    you think so?

    Mentore

  3. Re: Pronews/2 v1.60 cp125 now available

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:37:58 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > I'm pleased to announce the release of Pronews/2 v1.60

    Thanks, Trevor, for maintaining this excellent application.

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Change "NOSPAM@" to "systematics@" in my e-mail address)

  4. Re: Pronews/2 v1.60 cp125 now available

    wrote:

    > I'm pleased to announce the release of Pronews/2 v1.60

    Thank you for your efforts on Pronews/2!

    I installed v1.60 over v1.59 recently and generally it works quite
    well.

    But I have experienced one anomaly. One of the newsgroups to which I
    subscribe, mozilla.support.firefox, shows unread messages ("N") even
    after I have read all the messages. Over the last couple of weeks the
    number of phantom unread messages has slowly grown, in varying
    increments, to 12.

    Any ideas about what is going on here?

    --

    John Small

  5. Re: Pronews/2 v1.60 cp125 now available

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:41:18 UTC in comp.os.os2.mail-news, "John Small"
    wrote:

    > But I have experienced one anomaly. One of the newsgroups to which I
    > subscribe, mozilla.support.firefox, shows unread messages ("N") even
    > after I have read all the messages. Over the last couple of weeks the
    > number of phantom unread messages has slowly grown, in varying
    > increments, to 12.

    There are no changes in this release that would affect this area of code.

    Do you have any filters that hide articles? How many articles are there in the
    group?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  6. Re: Pronews/2 v1.60 cp125 now available

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:42:20 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:41:18 UTC in comp.os.os2.mail-news, "John Small"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > But I have experienced one anomaly. One of the newsgroups to which I
    > > subscribe, mozilla.support.firefox, shows unread messages ("N") even
    > > after I have read all the messages. Over the last couple of weeks the
    > > number of phantom unread messages has slowly grown, in varying
    > > increments, to 12.

    > There are no changes in this release that would affect this area of code.
    >
    > Do you have any filters that hide articles? How many articles are there in the
    > group?

    I do have one global filter (for a particular poster I don't care to
    read). But this poster does not usually post to the group in question.

    I have read this group today (i.e. read the unread headers and marked
    as read every unread message Pronews would show me. The title bar for
    the message list says: 933 total, 933 visible, 22 unread, 0 filtered.
    (The 22 unread is an increase of 10 from yesterday!?) If my filter
    says "hide" (which it does), do filtered messages get included in
    these counts?

    --

    John Small

  7. Re: Pronews/2 v1.60 cp125 now available

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:27:19 UTC, "John Small" wrote:

    > I do have one global filter (for a particular poster I don't care to
    > read). But this poster does not usually post to the group in question.
    >
    > I have read this group today (i.e. read the unread headers and marked
    > as read every unread message Pronews would show me. The title bar for
    > the message list says: 933 total, 933 visible, 22 unread, 0 filtered.
    > (The 22 unread is an increase of 10 from yesterday!?) If my filter
    > says "hide" (which it does), do filtered messages get included in
    > these counts?

    I think I saw this once long time ago, and yes, I think the counts gets included,
    because they are actually unread.
    Try opening setting for the group, and under filters remove the checkmark for
    "use global" and press Apply, close the group and open it again.
    This should show you, what might be hidden.
    It should be possible to mark the hidden msgs read by selecting "Mark all
    read" (ALT-R) from the control panel.

    The best idea might be to duplicate your filter, so you have both a HIDE filter
    and a MARK AS READ filter for the same person.

    --
    Allan.

    It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
    than to open it, and remove all doubt.

  8. Re: Pronews/2 v1.60 cp125 now available

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:03:25 UTC, "Fred Blau"
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:37:58 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I'm pleased to announce the release of Pronews/2 v1.60

    > Thanks, Trevor, for maintaining this excellent application.

    WRT ProNews, what about NLS? I'd be glad to contribute.

    Mentore

  9. Re: Pronews/2 v1.60 cp125 now available

    On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 10:16:54 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, "Mentore Siesto"
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:03:25 UTC, "Fred Blau"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:37:58 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm pleased to announce the release of Pronews/2 v1.60

    > > Thanks, Trevor, for maintaining this excellent application.

    > WRT ProNews, what about NLS? I'd be glad to contribute.

    I doubt if this will ever happen - too much is embedded in the source code to
    make changing it easy.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com