Opening a command window - OS2

This is a discussion on Opening a command window - OS2 ; Hello, I apparently changed a setting somehow... Now, whenever I open a os/2 command window, it opens partially, not full size, i.e., with scroll bars. How do I change CMD windows default behavior to open maximized? -- jmm (hyphen) list ...

  1. Opening a command window

    Hello,
    I apparently changed a setting somehow...
    Now, whenever I open a os/2 command window, it opens partially, not full
    size, i.e., with scroll bars.
    How do I change CMD windows default behavior to open maximized?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  2. Re: Opening a command window

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 05:44:24 UTC, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I apparently changed a setting somehow...
    > Now, whenever I open a os/2 command window, it opens partially, not full
    > size, i.e., with scroll bars.
    > How do I change CMD windows default behavior to open maximized?

    Hold the shift key down while resizing the window as required.

    BTW, "open maximized" is not the same as open windowed in
    full size.

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de

  3. Re: Opening a command window

    In article ,
    Jim Moe wrote:
    >Hello,
    > I apparently changed a setting somehow...
    > Now, whenever I open a os/2 command window, it opens partially, not full
    >size, i.e., with scroll bars.
    > How do I change CMD windows default behavior to open maximized?

    About time for my yearly post on the subject...
    Here's last year's question and answer. The last paragraph applies to
    your problem.

    >How do I change the default window size in the program object for OS/2
    >CMD windows to be 80 columns x 50 rows rather than the default 80
    >columns x 25 rows?

    If you're running Warp 4 or above that by default opens command
    windows in maximised mode, it's quite simple:

    Open the Properties of the Command Window object.
    In the "parameters" field there will be something like "/k cls" (without the
    quotes). Change this to "/k mode 80,50" (without the quotes).

    On Warp 3 and earlier, the window opens at the 80x25 dimensions size
    with a scrollbar. You have to drag it open to full size. You can make
    "maximised" the system default by shift-clicking the "maximise" button at
    the top right of any command window. Remember that in many areas of OS/2,
    holding down shift while doing an action results in the action becoming the
    system-wide default for all instances of that object.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

  4. Re: Opening a command window

    In article
    black.hole.4.spam@gmail.com "Don Hills" writes:

    > About time for my yearly post on the subject...
    > [...]

    Thanks for the reminder, Don. (Psalms 121:001, wot? )
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  5. Re: Opening a command window

    On 07/18/08 11:54 pm, Ruediger Ihle wrote:

    >> I apparently changed a setting somehow...
    >> Now, whenever I open a os/2 command window, it opens partially, not full
    >> size, i.e., with scroll bars.
    >> How do I change CMD windows default behavior to open maximized?

    > Hold the shift key down while resizing the window as required.

    That does not work. The windows still open with scroll bars.

    > BTW, "open maximized" is not the same as open windowed in
    > full size.

    Yes, open windowed full size is what I want.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  6. Re: Opening a command window

    On 07/19/08 12:36 am, Don Hills wrote:
    >> Now, whenever I open a os/2 command window, it opens partially, not full
    >>size, i.e., with scroll bars.
    >> How do I change CMD windows default behavior to open maximized?

    > Here's last year's question and answer. The last paragraph applies to
    > your problem.
    >
    > [...] You can make
    > "maximised" the system default by shift-clicking the "maximise" button at
    > the top right of any command window. Remember that in many areas of OS/2,
    > holding down shift while doing an action results in the action becoming the
    > system-wide default for all instances of that object.

    Ah! Yes, that is what I wanted.
    Thanks!

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  7. Re: Opening a command window

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:09:11 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > > Hold the shift key down while resizing the window as required.
    > >

    > That does not work. The windows still open with scroll bars.

    It should work but IBM introduced a bug in Warp 4 that means you have to jump
    through hoops to make it work. I seem to remember that you have to hold down the
    shift key, drag the window to the size you want and then, while still holding
    the shift key, move the window around by grabbing the title bar and dragging it.
    It's been such a long time since I had to do this that I may have forgotten the
    magic incantation required to make it work but it was something like that! The
    drawback to maximizing while holding the shift key (the way you say worked) is
    that it always opens the window in the top left of the screen. Using the method
    with dragging the window sides means that it opens at random positions on the
    screen still.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  8. Re: Opening a command window

    In article ,
    "Trevor Hemsley" wrote:
    > ... The
    >drawback to maximizing while holding the shift key (the way you say worked) is
    >that it always opens the window in the top left of the screen. Using the method
    >with dragging the window sides means that it opens at random positions on the
    >screen still.

    Shift-click maximise, then shift-drag to where you want it to open in future.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"