VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available - OS2

This is a discussion on VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available - OS2 ; The July issue of the VOICE Newsletter is now available online. For online reading: English - http://www.os2voice.org/newsletters.html German - http://de.os2voice.org/newsletters.html For download: English (HTML) - http://www.os2voice.org/files/vnl0708h.zip English (INF) - http://www.os2voice.org/files/vnl0708i.zip German (HTML) - http://de.os2voice.org/files/vnl0708h_de.zip German (INF) - http://de.os2voice.org/files/vnl0708i_de.zip In the ...

  1. VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available

    The July issue of the VOICE Newsletter is now available online.

    For online reading:

    English - http://www.os2voice.org/newsletters.html
    German - http://de.os2voice.org/newsletters.html

    For download:

    English (HTML) - http://www.os2voice.org/files/vnl0708h.zip
    English (INF) - http://www.os2voice.org/files/vnl0708i.zip

    German (HTML) - http://de.os2voice.org/files/vnl0708h_de.zip
    German (INF) - http://de.os2voice.org/files/vnl0708i_de.zip

    In the latest issue you find:

    o Hello and Good-bye -- by Christian Hennecke
    o Installing VBox/2, Fedora 8 as Guest OS, and Java 6 in Fedora 8 -- by
    Cheng-Yang Tan
    o Exploring Feature Install - Part 2: Advanced Installation Topics -- by
    Alex Taylor
    o Virtual Memory Problems under OS/2 -- by Sjoerd Visser
    o OS/2 and Multilingual Character Sets - Part 3 -- by Alex Taylor
    o Is Usenet advocacy too polluted to be relevant any more? -- by Mark
    Dodel
    o netlabs.org Developers Workshop 2008 - Report and Rumors -- by Thomas
    Klein
    o And of course letters, addenda, and tips!

    Older issues can be found at http://www.os2voice.org/newsletters.html,
    or http://de.os2voice.org/newsletters.html, and the Hobbes archive as
    well.

    As always a big thank you to our authors, editors, and translators
    without whom there would be no VOICE Newsletter. Please consider helping
    with the translation or writing an article for the Newsletter.
    Guidelines for submissions to the VOICE Newsletter are available at
    http://www.os2voice.org/newsletter_submission.html, including some
    suggestions for topics.

  2. Re: VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:35:13 UTC, "Christian Hennecke"
    wrote:

    > The July issue of the VOICE Newsletter is now available online.
    >
    > For online reading:

    Downloaded with happiness :-) it's been long time since the latest
    issue. Maybe there's not so much to say about OS/2 in times like
    these, so it's good to hear something new even in six months! (And the
    issues on virtual memory *are* really interesting.)

    BTW Christian, I sent you an email months ago asking if there's some
    possibility to produce an Italian VOICE newsletter version. It should
    be not so hard work. Noone replied so I gave up, but... Who can tell?
    :-)

    Mentore

  3. Re: VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:14:04 UTC, "Mentore Siesto"
    wrote:

    > > The July issue of the VOICE Newsletter is now available online.
    > >
    > > For online reading:

    > Downloaded with happiness :-) it's been long time since the latest
    > issue. Maybe there's not so much to say about OS/2 in times like
    > these, so it's good to hear something new even in six months! (And the
    > issues on virtual memory *are* really interesting.)

    As I pointed out before, there are two basic problems: Lack of articles
    and lack of manpower. It's not that there's nothing to say. Think of all
    the stuff that Paul Smedley ported, new eCS release candidates, etc.
    People are just lazy.

    > BTW Christian, I sent you an email months ago asking if there's some
    > possibility to produce an Italian VOICE newsletter version. It should
    > be not so hard work. Noone replied so I gave up, but... Who can tell?
    > :-)

    Sorry, that was a misunderstanding. I had read your message to mean that
    you wanted to inform us but wait with everything else until you could
    say more.

    If you manage to get enough reliable people on board, we'd certainly be
    interested.
    --
    "I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden

  4. Re: VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:14:11 UTC, "Christian Hennecke"
    wrote:

    -> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:14:04 UTC, "Mentore Siesto"
    -> wrote:
    ->
    -> > > The July issue of the VOICE Newsletter is now available online.
    -> > >
    -> > > For online reading:
    -> >
    -> > Downloaded with happiness :-) it's been long time since the latest
    -> > issue. Maybe there's not so much to say about OS/2 in times like
    -> > these, so it's good to hear something new even in six months! (And the
    -> > issues on virtual memory *are* really interesting.)
    ->
    -> As I pointed out before, there are two basic problems: Lack of articles
    -> and lack of manpower. It's not that there's nothing to say. Think of all
    -> the stuff that Paul Smedley ported, new eCS release candidates, etc.
    -> People are just lazy.
    ->

    Exactly. Why has no one written articles about installing eCS 2.0 RCs
    on new hardware? Where are the reviews of Open Office 2.4? And then
    there are all the ports of NIX apps from Paul as mentioned by
    Christian. And there is a lot more that can be written about. But
    almost no one does. But people still have a lot of questions about
    these things and more.

    -> > BTW Christian, I sent you an email months ago asking if there's some
    -> > possibility to produce an Italian VOICE newsletter version. It should
    -> > be not so hard work. Noone replied so I gave up, but... Who can tell?
    -> > :-)
    ->
    -> Sorry, that was a misunderstanding. I had read your message to mean that
    -> you wanted to inform us but wait with everything else until you could
    -> say more.
    ->
    -> If you manage to get enough reliable people on board, we'd certainly be
    -> interested.

    And if you read Christian's editorial in this new issue you will see
    that this became a problem for the German issue. People just stopped
    helping and no new people stepped up to help despite Christian's pleas
    in the past issue. This is not a job for one or two people.And it
    was draining resources from the English version since Christian had to
    do a ton of work to finish up the German issue. That delayed the
    release even though most of the articles were from 6 months or more
    ago. My article in this current issue was written so long ago I had
    to reread it to remember what I had written.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    Warpstock 2008 - Santa Cruz, California: http://www.warpstock.org
    Warpstock Europe 2008 - Düsseldorf, Germany: http://www.warpstock.eu

  5. Re: VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:59:37 UTC, "Mark Dodel" wrote:

    > And if you read Christian's editorial in this new issue you will see
    > that this became a problem for the German issue. People just stopped
    > helping and no new people stepped up to help despite Christian's pleas
    > in the past issue. This is not a job for one or two people.And it
    > was draining resources from the English version since Christian had to
    > do a ton of work to finish up the German issue. That delayed the
    > release even though most of the articles were from 6 months or more
    > ago. My article in this current issue was written so long ago I had
    > to reread it to remember what I had written.

    Yeah... and I was amused to read my article cheerfully saying that VOICE
    would "soon" be releasing PMMail... in fact, the _second_ version just
    came out. :P

    I've had a number of article ideas... very limited time, unfortunately.
    (I've been plodding away on an article on GTAK tape backups for about
    two years now. No idea when I'll finish it, especially since my tape
    drive is now in a storage locker on the other side of the globe...)

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  6. Re: VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available

    wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:14:11 UTC, "Christian Hennecke"
    > wrote:

    > -> If you manage to get enough reliable people on board, we'd certainly be
    > -> interested.
    >
    > And if you read Christian's editorial in this new issue you will see
    > that this became a problem for the German issue. People just stopped
    > helping and no new people stepped up to help despite Christian's pleas
    > in the past issue. This is not a job for one or two people.And it
    > was draining resources from the English version since Christian had to
    > do a ton of work to finish up the German issue. That delayed the
    > release even though most of the articles were from 6 months or more
    > ago. My article in this current issue was written so long ago I had
    > to reread it to remember what I had written.

    .... Well, maybe it's better to write some articles :-) Now if only I
    had more time to spend on my favourite OS...

    Mentore

  7. Re: VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available

    On 17.07.08 22:11, Mentore Siesto wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:59:37 UTC, "Mark Dodel"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:14:11 UTC, "Christian Hennecke"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you manage to get enough reliable people on board, we'd
    >>> certainly be interested.

    I surely can be counted to the people who should write articles and
    who are able to do that in a very well quality.

    >> And if you read Christian's editorial in this new issue you will
    >> see that this became a problem for the German issue. People just
    >> stopped helping and no new people stepped up to help despite
    >> Christian's pleas in the past issue. This is not a job for one or
    >> two people.And it was draining resources from the English version
    >> since Christian had to do a ton of work to finish up the German
    >> issue. That delayed the release even though most of the articles
    >> were from 6 months or more ago. My article in this current issue
    >> was written so long ago I had to reread it to remember what I had
    >> written.

    > ... Well, maybe it's better to write some articles :-) Now if only I
    > had more time to spend on my favourite OS...

    That's the only problem. We're just few. Should we spend time on
    privacy, on helping eCS getting to get to the GA state or should we
    write Voice articles or even contribute to software projects?

    OK, I could get me a bit better organized to manage all of them, but
    in my case (it's just a time, not a motivation issue), I would call it
    rather an exception. Usually developers are bad texters or bad
    develepors.

    Even for me, I have to set priorities and IMO there are people who
    write about new software and there are ones who code it. I count me to
    the latter and before getting bored with the current OS/2 scene, I
    would surely write a motivating Voice article. I am not, so I think I
    invest stuff in my projects.

    BTW: A big thank you to all the Voice Newsletter people!

    IMO, its a correct decision to drop the German version. I would also
    vote for to drop the HTML version, if that hasn't already happened.

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  8. Re: VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available

    On 17.07.08 22:55, Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:

    > IMO, its a correct decision to drop the German version. I would also
    > vote for to drop the HTML version, if that hasn't already happened.

    ****, that was just a typo. Of course, I meant the INF version
    instead.

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  9. Re: VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 21:25:39 UTC, Andreas Schnellbacher
    wrote:

    -> On 17.07.08 22:55, Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    ->
    -> > IMO, its a correct decision to drop the German version. I would also
    -> > vote for to drop the HTML version, if that hasn't already happened.
    ->
    -> ****, that was just a typo. Of course, I meant the INF version
    -> instead.
    ->

    hehehe. I was wondering what you meant, since dropping the html
    version would pretty much end all work on it. ;-) I had wanted to
    drop the INF version years ago, but quite a few people still read it
    back then. Some of the few letters I received often thanked me for
    the INF version. When Christian took over he automated most of that
    so it wasn't quite the bother it was when I was building it using
    HomePage Publisher. tables always seemed to mess up the INF version
    and had to be corrected by hand.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    Warpstock 2008 - Santa Cruz, California: http://www.warpstock.org
    Warpstock Europe 2008 - Düsseldorf, Germany: http://www.warpstock.eu

  10. PMMail released ( was VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available)

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:22:01 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Alex Taylor"
    wrote:

    > Yeah... and I was amused to read my article cheerfully saying that VOICE
    > would "soon" be releasing PMMail... in fact, the _second_ version just
    > came out. :P

    And where was this announced? I've not seen anything on any of the c.o.o.*
    newsgroups and I subscribe to all of them, with the exception of c.o.o.lunacy

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  11. Re: PMMail released ( was VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available)

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:28:37 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:22:01 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Alex Taylor"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah... and I was amused to read my article cheerfully saying that VOICE
    > > would "soon" be releasing PMMail... in fact, the _second_ version just
    > > came out. :P

    > And where was this announced? I've not seen anything on any of the c.o.o.*
    > newsgroups and I subscribe to all of them, with the exception of c.o.o.lunacy

    It probably weasn't announced in the news groups, although I do
    remember seeing it mentioned, once, or twice. It was announced at:

    > http://www.os2world.com/

    and, of course, at:

    > http://pmmail.os2voice.org/index.php...MMail_for_OS/2

    Unfortunately, as it turned out, there is a bug in the 3.01 version,
    recently released, that turned out to be a bit of trouble, for a few
    users. That has now been fixed, and a new release will be made
    shortly.
    --
    From the eComStation 2.0 RC2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  12. Re: PMMail released ( was VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available)

    wrote:

    > > Yeah... and I was amused to read my article cheerfully saying that VOICE
    > > would "soon" be releasing PMMail... in fact, the _second_ version just
    > > came out. :P

    > And where was this announced? I've not seen anything on any of the c.o.o.*
    > newsgroups and I subscribe to all of them, with the exception of
    > c.o.o.lunacy

    I believe both VOICE News and OS/2 Warp News and Rumours reported it.
    Maybe there should've been an announcement on c.o.o.mail-news;
    c.o.o.announce, OTOH, is evidently dead.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  13. Re: VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:06:57 UTC, "Mark Dodel"
    wrote:

    > -> > IMO, its a correct decision to drop the German version. I would also
    > -> > vote for to drop the HTML version, if that hasn't already happened.
    > ->
    > -> ****, that was just a typo. Of course, I meant the INF version
    > -> instead.
    > ->
    >
    > hehehe. I was wondering what you meant, since dropping the html
    > version would pretty much end all work on it. ;-) I had wanted to
    > drop the INF version years ago, but quite a few people still read it
    > back then. Some of the few letters I received often thanked me for
    > the INF version. When Christian took over he automated most of that
    > so it wasn't quite the bother it was when I was building it using
    > HomePage Publisher. tables always seemed to mess up the INF version
    > and had to be corrected by hand.

    Exactly. Complex tables still need editing by hand but the time we have
    to spend on the INF issue has decreased a *lot*. What was about 45 to 90
    minutes is now 3 to 30 minutes. Thanks to PPWizard and Cornelis' help,
    we are able to output a special, more plain HTML version of each article
    which is then converted to IPF. Afterwards, we run the stuff through a
    sed script with a number of regular expressions to correct some things.
    Together, that takes care of most problems that can occur.
    --
    "I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden

  14. Re: VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available

    Andreas Schnellbacher schrieb:

    > On 17.07.08 22:55, Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    >
    > > IMO, its a correct decision to drop the German version. I would also
    > > vote for to drop the HTML version, if that hasn't already happened.

    > ****, that was just a typo. Of course, I meant the INF version
    > instead.

    Oh no, do NOT drop the inf version.
    It is better to read and better to print.

    Hendrik

  15. Re: VOICE Newsletter 07/2008 available

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:55:17 UTC, Hendrik Schmieder
    wrote:

    > > > IMO, its a correct decision to drop the German version. I would also
    > > > vote for to drop the HTML version, if that hasn't already happened.

    > > ****, that was just a typo. Of course, I meant the INF version
    > > instead.
    > >

    > Oh no, do NOT drop the inf version.
    > It is better to read and better to print.

    Well, consider this: Of approximately 1000 readers, only roughly 100
    download the INF version. Basically, it's a matter of time, i.e., if we
    can keep the effort small enough.
    --
    "I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden

+ Reply to Thread