CAD Program(s) - OS2

This is a discussion on CAD Program(s) - OS2 ; Which CAD program is currently recommended for eCS 1.2MR? I just downloaded BlueCAD 1.0 from Hobbes which is from 1996. Which AutoCAD versions might run under eCS, either natively, or in a DOS window? Any others?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. CAD Program(s)

    Which CAD program is currently recommended for eCS 1.2MR? I just downloaded
    BlueCAD 1.0 from Hobbes which is from 1996. Which AutoCAD versions might run
    under eCS, either natively, or in a DOS window?

    Any others?

  2. Re: CAD Program(s)

    On 15.07.08 00:18, Elmer Fudd wrote:

    > Which CAD program is currently recommended for eCS 1.2MR? I just
    > downloaded BlueCAD 1.0 from Hobbes which is from 1996.

    Not too old. ;-) But it won't use vector fonts, IIRC.

    > Which AutoCAD versions might run under eCS, either natively, or in a
    > DOS window?

    For CAD on OS/2 I would use a virtual environment nowadays. You have
    the choice: VPC 5.1 for OS/2 or Parallels or VBox. As client, use a
    Linux or W$ system, depending on the CAD app you prefer.

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  3. Re: CAD Program(s)

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:29:37 +0200, Andreas Schnellbacher
    wrote:

    > For CAD on OS/2 I would use a virtual environment nowadays. You have
    > the choice: VPC 5.1 for OS/2 or Parallels or VBox. As client, use a
    > Linux or W$ system, depending on the CAD app you prefer.

    Are there any good CAD apps. which are cheap or free? Autocad LT is a bit
    pricey...

  4. Re: CAD Program(s)

    In , on 07/14/2008
    at 10:18 PM, "Elmer Fudd" said:

    >Which CAD program is currently recommended for eCS 1.2MR? I just
    >downloaded BlueCAD 1.0 from Hobbes which is from 1996. Which AutoCAD
    >versions might run under eCS, either natively, or in a DOS window?

    >Any others?

    I think there is a version of Versacad (Don't remember how it was
    spelled) somewhere on the net that was released for use as a free program.
    Its old. All CAD programs that run under OS/2 are old.

    If you need compatibility with AutoCad, you need to use windows for that
    work. -- Some don't like hearing that, but its a truth. I saw a CAD
    program in Staples the other day. The price was low, but I know nothing
    more about it.

  5. Re: CAD Program(s)

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:38:36 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > Are there any good CAD apps. which are cheap or free? Autocad LT is a bit
    > pricey...

    there is QCad, under gpl/commercial license; based on QT 3.x, probably
    compilable under os2 too.

    --
    Bye,

    Yuri Dario

    /*
    * OS/2 open source software
    * http://web.os2power.com/yuri
    * http://www.netlabs.org
    */

  6. Re: CAD Program(s)

    Is it compatible with AutoCAD, if so, which version?

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:03:35 +0000 (UTC), Yuri Dario wrote:

    :>On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:38:36 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    :> wrote:
    :>
    :>> Are there any good CAD apps. which are cheap or free? Autocad LT is a bit
    :>> pricey...
    :>
    :>there is QCad, under gpl/commercial license; based on QT 3.x, probably
    :>compilable under os2 too.
    :>
    :>
    :>--
    :>Bye,
    :>
    :> Yuri Dario
    :>
    :>/*
    :> * OS/2 open source software
    :> * http://web.os2power.com/yuri
    :> * http://www.netlabs.org
    :>*/
    :>

  7. Re: CAD Program(s)

    Does anyone about compatibility between BlueCAD and AutoCAD? Which version
    of AutoCAD files might BlueCAD be able to handle?

    Also, the version of BlueCAD on Hobbes is a demo version, good for 30 days.
    Might there be a registration code floating around on the 'net?

    Last, were any further updates/new versions released of BlueCAD?

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:00:41 GMT, truthteller@nospam.net wrote:

    :>In , on 07/14/2008
    :> at 10:18 PM, "Elmer Fudd" said:
    :>
    :>
    :>
[...]

  8. Re: CAD Program(s)

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:37:08 GMT, Elmer Fudd wrote:

    > Does anyone about compatibility between BlueCAD and AutoCAD? Which version
    > of AutoCAD files might BlueCAD be able to handle?
    >
    > Also, the version of BlueCAD on Hobbes is a demo version, good for 30 days.
    > Might there be a registration code floating around on the 'net?
    >
    > Last, were any further updates/new versions released of BlueCAD?

    There is 1.010 on the Cadware web site. It says the 1.0 versions are now
    free. Mine says it's in demo. mode due to licence expired - I don't know
    what, if anything, this stops working. There is nowhere to put in a reg. key
    that I can see.

  9. Re: CAD Program(s)

    > Also, the version of BlueCAD on Hobbes is a demo version, good for 30 days.
    > Might there be a registration code floating around on the 'net?

    You can download the full version for free:
    http://www.cadwaresoft.com/eng/html/bc10install.html

  10. Re: CAD Program(s)

    Got it, thank you.

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:58:45 +0200, Heiko Nitzsche wrote:

    :>> Also, the version of BlueCAD on Hobbes is a demo version, good for 30 days.
    :>> Might there be a registration code floating around on the 'net?
    :>
    :>You can download the full version for free:
    :>http://www.cadwaresoft.com/eng/html/bc10install.html
    :>

  11. Re: CAD Program(s)

    Thanks, have downloaded it. Pity version 2 was never released for OS/2...

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:44:04 GMT, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

    :>On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:37:08 GMT, Elmer Fudd wrote:
    :>
    :>> Does anyone about compatibility between BlueCAD and AutoCAD? Which version
    :>> of AutoCAD files might BlueCAD be able to handle?
    :>>
    :>> Also, the version of BlueCAD on Hobbes is a demo version, good for 30 days.
    :>> Might there be a registration code floating around on the 'net?
    :>>
    :>> Last, were any further updates/new versions released of BlueCAD?
    :>
    :>There is 1.010 on the Cadware web site. It says the 1.0 versions are now
    :>free. Mine says it's in demo. mode due to licence expired - I don't know
    :>what, if anything, this stops working. There is nowhere to put in a reg. key
    :>that I can see.

  12. Re: CAD Program(s)

    On 15.07.08 01:38, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:29:37 +0200, Andreas Schnellbacher
    > wrote:
    >
    >> For CAD on OS/2 I would use a virtual environment nowadays. You
    >> have the choice: VPC 5.1 for OS/2 or Parallels or VBox. As client,
    >> use a Linux or W$ system, depending on the CAD app you prefer.

    > Are there any good CAD apps. which are cheap or free? Autocad LT is
    > a bit pricey...

    I'm impressed of CAD6 (former: CAD/Draw) from Malz++Kassner. They have
    written the great MegaCAD, a pixel app for the Atari. CAD6 is not only
    a CAD app, but is also good for vector graphics.

    http://www.cad6.com/english.htm

    And it's much easier to use (than AutoCAD), cheaper and can read
    almost all AutoCAD files.

    It comes with an unusual concept for UI: You select at first the
    action and afterwards the objects. I like it very much, because it
    saves one many mouse clicks.

    Other apps work different: You select the object first to work with
    and afterwards the action. Everytime you want to apply a change on
    multiple objects, you have to repeat all the clicks to select your
    action.

    With CAD6 the last action dialog remains open and you can select
    further objects to apply changes on.

    Unfortunately it's a W$ app.

    For special stuff like creating circuit diagrams, other SW is probably
    a bit better suited (but CAD6 is also good at that). I know about 2
    German apps for that, which do a fine job, but are also (really)
    expensive (AutoCAD LT is cheap compared to them).

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  13. Re: CAD Program(s)

    On Jul 16, 2:34 pm, Andreas Schnellbacher
    wrote:>

    > It comes with an unusual concept for UI: You select at first the
    > action and afterwards the objects. I like it very much, because it
    > saves one many mouse clicks.

    A must important concept! I use MicroCADAM with function keyboard, an
    other important concept, which can nearly double your speed. Works
    under DOS.

  14. Re: CAD Program(s)

    Hi,

    > Is it compatible with AutoCAD, if so, which version?

    only with dxf format (read/write), I don't know which version is
    supported.

    --
    Bye,

    Yuri Dario

    /*
    * OS/2 open source software
    * http://web.os2power.com/yuri
    * http://www.netlabs.org
    */

  15. Re: CAD Program(s)

    Elmer Fudd wrote:
    > Which CAD program is currently recommended for eCS 1.2MR? I just downloaded
    > BlueCAD 1.0 from Hobbes which is from 1996. Which AutoCAD versions might run
    > under eCS, either natively, or in a DOS window?
    >
    > Any others?

    Look for "Desi 3" at google.
    This is a 2D-Cad Program for DOS

    Martin Zimmermann

  16. Re: CAD Program(s)

    Tu, Martin Zimmermann hai scritto questo in data Mon, 11
    Aug 2008 14:23:16 UTC:

    > Elmer Fudd wrote:
    > > Which CAD program is currently recommended for eCS 1.2MR? I just downloaded
    > > BlueCAD 1.0 from Hobbes which is from 1996. Which AutoCAD versions might run
    > > under eCS, either natively, or in a DOS window?
    > >
    > > Any others?
    > >

    > Look for "Desi 3" at google.
    > This is a 2D-Cad Program for DOS
    >
    > Martin Zimmermann

    A fast and clean update: for electronic design, I suggest you to check

    http://davbucci.chez-alice.fr/index....nica/fidocadj/
    fidocadj.inc&language=Francais

    (Italian and French languages only)

    it's a Java application, working much like the good FidoCad software.
    It's fast and easy to use, and it's a Java 1.4 application. I tested
    it under eCS and noticed it works fine with Java 1.4.2_09.

    --
    Mentore Siesto
    eComStation Developer Team

  17. Re: CAD Program(s)

    Thanks but I don't like Java applications...

    :>> Elmer Fudd wrote:
    :>> > Which CAD program is currently recommended for eCS 1.2MR? I just downloaded
    :>> > BlueCAD 1.0 from Hobbes which is from 1996. Which AutoCAD versions might run
    :>> > under eCS, either natively, or in a DOS window?
    :>> >
    :>> > Any others?
    :>> >
    :>> >
[...]

  18. Re: CAD Program(s)

    Hi Pete

    Pete wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 03:56:24 UTC, "Al Savage" wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 22:18:36 UTC, "Elmer Fudd"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Which AutoCAD versions might run
    >>> under eCS, either natively, or in a DOS window?

    >> I run ACAD v12/DOS under W4 FP17. I've never tried very hard to get my
    >> huge old Hitachi 1212E digitizing tablet to work with it, though.
    >>
    >> Admittedly, I probably haven't actually fired ACAD up in over two years,
    >> and I've switched away from the Matrox video driver since then, so I
    >> suppose it may not work now.

    > I've been using ACAD v12 for years with Snap (currently on eCs 1.2R
    > using an Asus M2NE mobo and an ATI Raedeon X300 graphics card). The only
    > drawback is that whenever you change views, you have to regenerate the
    > drawing. According to Steve at SciTech, this is a bug in IBM's GRADD
    > driver, so I modified one of the buttons to regenerate the drawing. I
    > have an old TI plotter, and it won't work correctly under Win-OS/2 (have
    > to boot real DOS and run ACAD under W3.11).
    >
    > Pete

    Might be worth your time to investigate DOSbox
    http://www.joschs-robotics.de/dosbox/ and see if you can install w3.11
    in a DOSbox session.

    Would save the booting into real dos bit...

    Regards

    Pete

  19. Re: CAD Program(s)

    wrote:

    > Which AutoCAD versions might run
    > under eCS, either natively, or in a DOS window?

    I run ACAD v12/DOS under W4 FP17. I've never tried very hard to get my
    huge old Hitachi 1212E digitizing tablet to work with it, though.

    Admittedly, I probably haven't actually fired ACAD up in over two years,
    and I've switched away from the Matrox video driver since then, so I
    suppose it may not work now.

  20. Re: CAD Program(s)