I'm so confused!!! - OS2

This is a discussion on I'm so confused!!! - OS2 ; My hard drive crashed with my OS/2 Warp4 install on it,(see my other post), so I bought 2 used hard drives from eBay, a 7.8G Western Digital, and a 6.4G Maxtor. When I was installing Warp on the W.D. drive, ...

  1. I'm so confused!!!

    My hard drive crashed with my OS/2 Warp4 install on it,(see my other
    post), so I bought 2 used hard drives from eBay, a 7.8G Western
    Digital, and a 6.4G Maxtor. When I was installing Warp on the W.D.
    drive, after disk 2 was finished, and it propted me to put the CD in
    the drive, I did, and pressed enter. Instead of starting the install a
    screen came up that said "The existing partition table on your hard
    drive was created using an earlier version of the operating system.
    The partition table was updated to ensure compatability with the
    current version of the operating system. The system must be restarted
    so that the updated partition table can be recognized during system
    installation. Remove the disk from Drive A. Insert the Installation
    Disk in drive A. Press the Enter key."
    When I do this, it goes through all 3 floppies, and comes back to this
    error again. It's caught in a loop for some reason. I tried fdisk from
    the Warp4 disk 2 and it gave me an error saying "This process cannot
    start an Fdisk session because another process is using Fdisk." I
    tried using Partition Magic ver. 7 to delete the partition, and when
    it was finished, I tried reinstalling Warp, only to have that error
    message come up again. I then went to the Western Digital website and
    downloaded Data Lifeguard tool and ran the "Write Zeros to the hard
    drive" option, then after it finished I tried reinstalling Warp. I got
    the same earlier version partition error. NOTHING I try works!!
    How do I get rid of this error so I can reinstall Warp? After battling
    this for several hours, I decided to the 2nd hard drive I bought. I
    GOT THE SAME ERROR!!! Now I'm wondering if these drives had an earlier
    version of OS/2 on them, or is it something I'm doing/not doing
    correctly.
    Please help if you can. I've done everything I can think of but get my
    bulk tape eraser out and let the drives have that!!! I'm afraid I
    might ruin them if I do that.
    Thanks,
    Snyde

  2. Re: I'm so confused!!!

    On 07/13/08 11:40 am, Snydley wrote:
    > My hard drive crashed with my OS/2 Warp4 install on it,(see my other
    > post), so I bought 2 used hard drives from eBay, a 7.8G Western
    > Digital, and a 6.4G Maxtor. When I was installing Warp on the W.D.
    > drive, after disk 2 was finished, and it propted me to put the CD in
    > the drive, I did, and pressed enter. Instead of starting the install a
    > screen came up that said "The existing partition table on your hard
    > drive was created using an earlier version of the operating system.
    > The partition table was updated to ensure compatability with the
    > current version of the operating system. The system must be restarted
    > so that the updated partition table can be recognized during system
    > installation. Remove the disk from Drive A. Insert the Installation
    > Disk in drive A. Press the Enter key."
    > When I do this, it goes through all 3 floppies, and comes back to this
    > error again. It's caught in a loop for some reason. I tried fdisk from
    > the Warp4 disk 2 and it gave me an error saying "This process cannot
    > start an Fdisk session because another process is using Fdisk." I
    > tried using Partition Magic ver. 7 to delete the partition, and when
    > it was finished, I tried reinstalling Warp, only to have that error
    > message come up again. I then went to the Western Digital website and
    > downloaded Data Lifeguard tool and ran the "Write Zeros to the hard
    > drive" option, then after it finished I tried reinstalling Warp. I got
    > the same earlier version partition error. NOTHING I try works!!
    > How do I get rid of this error so I can reinstall Warp? After battling
    > this for several hours, I decided to the 2nd hard drive I bought. I
    > GOT THE SAME ERROR!!! Now I'm wondering if these drives had an earlier
    > version of OS/2 on them, or is it something I'm doing/not doing
    > correctly.
    > Please help if you can. I've done everything I can think of but get my
    > bulk tape eraser out and let the drives have that!!! I'm afraid I
    > might ruin them if I do that.
    > Thanks,
    > Snyde

    You need to update the ibms506.add driver on the Floppies. eg with
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...de12062003.zip. You
    may have to remove a SCSI driver to make room. Don't forget to remove
    the SCSI driver from config.sys and snoop.lst on the floppy. Also IIRC
    you have to add copyfromfloppys to the config.sys on the floppy (I may
    well of misrembered that) or manually copy to the hard drive during install.
    The original driver only supported 4.3 GB drives
    Dave

  3. Re: I'm so confused!!!

    On Jul 13, 7:45*pm, Dave Yeo wrote:
    > On 07/13/08 11:40 am, Snydley wrote:
    >

    > > My hard drive crashed with my OS/2 Warp4 install on it,(see my other
    > > post), so I bought 2 used hard drives from eBay, a 7.8G Western
    > > Digital, and a 6.4G Maxtor. When I was installing Warp on the W.D.
    > > drive, after disk 2 was finished, and it propted me to put the CD in
    > > the drive, I did, and pressed enter. Instead of starting the install a
    > > screen came up that said "The existing partition table on your hard
    > > drive was created using an earlier version of the operating system.
    > > The partition table was updated to ensure compatability with the
    > > current version of the operating system. The system must be restarted
    > > so that the updated partition table can be recognized during system
    > > installation. Remove the disk from Drive A. Insert the Installation
    > > Disk in drive A. Press the Enter key."
    > > When I do this, it goes through all 3 floppies, and comes back to this
    > > error again. It's caught in a loop for some reason. I tried fdisk from
    > > the Warp4 disk 2 and it gave me an error saying "This process cannot
    > > start an Fdisk session because another process is using Fdisk." I
    > > tried using Partition Magic ver. 7 to delete the partition, and when
    > > it was finished, I tried reinstalling Warp, only to have that error
    > > message come up again. I then went to the Western Digital website and
    > > downloaded Data Lifeguard tool and ran the "Write Zeros to the hard
    > > drive" option, then after it finished I tried reinstalling Warp. I got
    > > the same earlier version partition error. NOTHING I try works!!
    > > How do I get rid of this error so I can reinstall Warp? After battling
    > > this for several hours, I decided to the 2nd hard drive I bought. I
    > > GOT THE SAME ERROR!!! Now I'm wondering if these drives had an earlier
    > > version of OS/2 on them, or is it something I'm doing/not doing
    > > correctly.
    > > Please help if you can. I've done everything I can think of but get my
    > > bulk tape eraser out and let the drives have that!!! I'm afraid I
    > > might ruin them if I do that.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Snyde

    > You need to update the ibms506.add driver on the Floppies. eg withhttp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/drivers/storage/ibmide12062003.zip. You
    > may have to remove a SCSI driver to make room. Don't forget to remove
    > the SCSI driver from config.sys and snoop.lst on the floppy. Also IIRC
    > you have to add copyfromfloppys to the config.sys on the floppy (I may
    > well of misrembered that) or manually copy to the hard drive during install.
    > The original driver only supported 4.3 GB drives
    > Dave- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Dave,
    I finally got back to OS/2 last night and did the editing to the disk
    like you said and it worked fine. Warp boots up fine, now I've got to
    get the Snap graphics, universal audio, Firefox, and my network
    running again. I've been away from this for about a month because of
    vacation, out of state friends visiting etc. and I find myself
    scratching my head wondering where to start and what to do again. I
    remember there was a tool that scanned your setup and recommended
    updates needed and allowed you to download them from that program, but
    I can't find it or remember what it's called. :-( Damn, if this is how
    it is to be in your 50's, I hate to think of how my memory is gonna
    work when I'm in my 60's. :-)
    Take care,
    Snyde

  4. Re: I'm so confused!!!

    On 07/21/08 06:55 pm, Snydley wrote:
    [...]
    > remember there was a tool that scanned your setup and recommended
    > updates needed and allowed you to download them from that program, but
    > I can't find it or remember what it's called.:-( Damn, if this is how
    > it is to be in your 50's, I hate to think of how my memory is gonna
    > work when I'm in my 60's.:-)

    There is OS2MT, http://www.os2mt.tk/. Don't know if it is smart enough
    to update a virgin system. You might want to apply fixpacks then graphic
    drivers then network driver updates then whatever but not sure.
    Dave

  5. Re: I'm so confused!!!

    Snydley wrote:
> [...]

    >> The original driver only supported 4.3 GB drives
    >> Dave- Hide quoted text -

    > Hi Dave,
    > I finally got back to OS/2 last night and did the editing to the disk
    > like you said and it worked fine. Warp boots up fine, now I've got to
    > get the Snap graphics, universal audio, Firefox, and my network
    > running again. I've been away from this for about a month because of
    > vacation, out of state friends visiting etc. and I find myself
    > scratching my head wondering where to start and what to do again. I
    > remember there was a tool that scanned your setup and recommended
    > updates needed and allowed you to download them from that program, but
    > I can't find it or remember what it's called. :-( Damn, if this is how
    > it is to be in your 50's, I hate to think of how my memory is gonna

    If you can't find that program, there's still Warpupdates International
    that helps you to find out which updates & fixes to apply:
    http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/english
    It has vanished, yes, but there's still a backup here, with a number of
    links still working (if applicable after editing):
    http://web.archive.org/web/200609260...netcologne.de/

+ Reply to Thread