SATA drives - OS2

This is a discussion on SATA drives - OS2 ; Hi Marc! Marc Lewis wrote: > + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45 > * Original message posted in: OS2. > * Crossposted in: COMP-OS2-SETUP-MISC. > Hello All. > > Can OS/2 operate from an SATA drive? One of my main servers ...

  1. Re: SATA drives

    Hi Marc!

    Marc Lewis wrote:
    > + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    > * Original message posted in: OS2.
    > * Crossposted in: COMP-OS2-SETUP-MISC.
    > Hello All.
    >
    > Can OS/2 operate from an SATA drive? One of my main servers is
    > starting to develop some problems on the MB; I can get a
    > complete system w/ Intel Core2 processor and a 350GB drive for
    > an excellent price... But am not familiar with whether or not
    > there is a driver that will see the SATA drive. Or will
    > Daniela's standard driver work?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Marc
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    > + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    > + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

    Yes it can! I have a whole cadre of what started out as high quality late
    model IDE drives that have been cloned with DFSEE to SATA drives in Intel 915
    class motherboard cases. I think that the latest IBM IDE device drivers will
    work with the SATA level stuff, but in my case I've gone to Dani's priceless
    device drivers which absolutely do work with it.

    You do need to carefully read the documentation if you intend to use the latest
    level of her code for the 1.8.1 level upwards. That level of her code cannot
    be just re-named to IBM1S506.ADD. and it must have her coordinated ATAPI driver
    as well instead of the IBM code to work if you need that.

    Using DFSEE you can do a floppy diskette boot run, then see both the IDE and
    SATA drive in Jan's toolset. I've just cloned the IDE drive to the SATA drive
    and away it goes! More important, I use the technique to clone/backup even
    IBM ThinkPads to USB storage drives. Then I can even take that type drive, and
    use DFSEE to clone it to an SATA drive. POOF! That even works I have found
    out as well.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  2. Re: SATA drives

    Well, more news maybe!

    Marc Lewis wrote:

    > I have DFSEE 7 (registered version), but have no experience with
    > cloning a drive with it. I've always used Norton's "Ghost", but
    > I'm not sure that it's going to see an SATA drive. I'll have to
    > get more info (e.g. RTFM) on cloning with DFSEE. (If you can
    > give me advice on this, please do!)

    DFSEE even version 7.15 comes with a FREEDOS package. As well, if you even
    have a DOS boot disk, you can add the DFSDOS items from at least version 7.1.5
    to this floppy boot diskette. Prior to the version 7.1.5, there were a number
    of problems with USB and other issues with DFSEE, but Jan worked very carefully
    with myself and IBM to get that 7.1.5 version clean so that it could even clone
    IBM ThinkPads to USB external storage devices.

    Per my recall, I use an 'official' MS-DOS 6.2.1 boot disk for all this. Works
    fine here.

    Needless to say the further versions of DFSEE haven't corrupted this. It has
    gotten even better per my experience. Jan is also a treasure to OS/2 users as
    well as Dani.

    > ML> You do need to carefully read the documentation if you
    > ML> intend to use the latest level of her code for the 1.8.1
    > ML> level upwards. That level of her code cannot be just
    > ML> re-named to IBM1S506.ADD. and it must have her coordinated
    > ML> ATAPI driver as well instead of the IBM code to work if
    > ML> you need that.
    >
    > Point me to a source for Daniela's most recent edition of her
    > drivers please.

    Hobbs is fine. Look for daniatapi049.zip which is or may be needed, as well as
    her latest release danis506r185.zip which I just checked on and are there.
    Really, please do study the docs on this. Dani is far to valuable to this to
    tie her up with this sort of help which does tell you how to do things with
    these latest releases. It works fine with me on any MCP2 level box, although I
    do *NOT* use her post 1/7 version driver package on Warp 4 boxes which still
    permit rename use as IBM1S506.ADD for her driver and still may work with the
    earler IBMATAPI and whatever. Recall that even IBM chunked are the other IDE
    related ATAPI stuff into that one driver somewhere back then. Post this
    official release you only need to load the IBMATAPI device driver.

    > ML> Using DFSEE you can do a floppy diskette boot run, then see
    > ML> both the IDE and SATA drive in Jan's toolset.
    >
    > I've only used the CD to boot to DFSEE. Should work just as
    > well I suppose. (?)

    Well, the folks at Microage here which have worked very carefully with me for
    some 20 years now were STUNNED when I took in a DOS floppy diskette to them.
    They jammed it into one of the mission critical secured IBM ThinkPads on Win
    XP. It booted! More curiously, DFSEE went right to work on the WIN XP hard
    drive in it and I showed them how to just use the menu and it could clone their
    whole drive externally to a USB plug-in drive storage device!

    > ML> I've just cloned the IDE drive to the SATA drive and away
    > ML> it goes!

    If you go to the DFSEE menu and select an item to work with from even the DOS
    floppy boot, you will get to choose a hard disk to work with. Then you swing
    right on the menu master folder choices. You pick the COPY option. If you
    have a second hard drive attached as another IDE, a SATA unit, an external SCSI
    unit, or even a USB external storage unit which can be seen by your BIOS, and
    DFSEE can see that it is simple!

    You just tell it to copy the whole drive to another drive. Whole OS/2, LVM
    info, everything just fine. Whoosh, Off it goes and does it.

    You may, under certain circumstances with earlier versions of DFSEE past 7.1.5,
    have to also go in and declare your new drive as startable. But that done, you
    can just go in and either make it the master drive in the SATA box with no IDE
    drive there, or even with the USB external drive on an IBM ThinkPad with the
    proper USB device drivers for it (or other box), tell the BIOS to boot from the
    USB device. Whoosh! Off you go. Even an IBM ThinkPad will boot here from the
    USB external box!

    > (Diverging a bit...) How's OS/2 deal with the multi-processor
    > Pentium Core2Duo? Any problems? (I am running CP3 on that
    > machine.)

    From other information you have shared with me, I think you are telling me
    that you are running MCP2 at Fix Pack XRC03 level. I also recall that you,
    too, have Warp 4 boxes still left. There are significant fixes post XRC03
    level which are important. Most especially DHCP vs. DOS-VDM system corruption
    and a bunch more items especially related to DOSCALL1 and so on. I known that
    there have been people who have been unhappy with XRC05 with failures. But
    I've never seen this on any of a large number of systems here. At least
    XRC04, I guess, is really needed. Together with kernel updates past this.

    IBM released major kernel updates for OS/2 post CD install (or bootup) use
    which have address a number of key failure and update issues. I can't recall
    from memory here exactly what the restrctions are. However, if my memory is
    correct, the IBM Kernel update for MCP1 and MCP2 version version WR0811.ZIP
    released August 15, 2005, had code in it which I think lets the Kernel work on
    Duo Core processors. From the README.

    Please! If anyone here knows that the 104a kernel above
    will not work with the Dual Core Intel CPU, post here and
    tell us. Please!

    I know there are boundary issues between IBM's MCP2 and eCs 1.4 and to be 2.0
    and so on over this. Anyone really understanding this, please reply here so
    that Marc, I and others do not go astray. Thanks!

    > This contains fixes since xr_e002/xr_m015/mcp/acp. Important note: If you use
    > the OS/2 SES facility, you need a new sesdd32.sys dated April 2001 or later
    > to use this kernel. Also, a matching dump formatter (df_ret.exe), provided
    > separately, is required, if you want to analyze a dump from this kernel.
    > Finally, note that os2ldr is only required for the >64mb memory detection
    > mentioned below.

    From what I can recall, I'm still using the WR0621.ZIP update of June 22,
    2004, on the Warp 4 boxes. I think that the later kernel fix is supposed to
    work on these other boxes, if your system is Fix Packed *AFTER* FP15 as well.
    Which in my case is FP17 for them. However, I've never had trouble with other
    than the WR0621.ZIP kernel update on them, so I've never experimented with the
    later kernel on them as well.

    Let me know how else I can help.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  3. Re: SATA drives

    Hello all.

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 18:33:05 UTC, Mike Luther
    wrote:

    > Well, more news maybe!

    > Marc Lewis wrote:

    > > I have DFSEE 7 (registered version), but have no experience
    > > with cloning a drive with it. [snip]

    > DFSEE even version 7.15 comes with a FREEDOS package.

    As does Version 7.04 that I have.

    > As well, if you even have a DOS boot disk, you can add the
    > DFSDOS items from at least version 7.1.5 to this floppy boot
    > diskette. Prior to the version 7.1.5, there were a number of
    > problems with USB and other issues with DFSEE, but Jan worked
    > very carefully with myself and IBM to get that 7.1.5 version
    > clean so that it could even clone IBM ThinkPads to USB
    > external storage devices.

    I will have to download the current version before doing anything
    else... Now I have to remember how to compile the license into
    the .ISO disk image file.

    ML> You do need to carefully read the documentation if you
    ML> intend to use the latest level of her code for the 1.8.1
    ML> level upwards.

    I believe I'm running 1.6.?

    ML> That level of her code cannot be just re-named to
    ML> IBM1S506.ADD. and it must have her coordinated ATAPI driver
    ML> as well instead of the IBM code to work if you need that.

    I don't think 1.6.? can be renamed either, but I may be wrong on
    that. Is the SATA drive seen as an ATAPI device?

    ML> Using DFSEE you can do a floppy diskette boot run, then see
    ML> both the IDE and SATA drive in Jan's toolset.

    > > I've only used the CD to boot to DFSEE. Should work just
    > > as well I suppose. (?)

    > Well, the folks at Microage here which have worked very
    > carefully with me for some 20 years now were STUNNED when I
    > took in a DOS floppy diskette to them.

    It is surprising indeed that MS-DOS 6.2.x can allow DFSEE to even
    find, much less work with an HPFS, NTFS or any other "Non-DOS"
    partition. Interesting indeed!

    > If you go to the DFSEE menu and select an item to work with
    > from even the DOS floppy boot, you will get to choose a hard
    > disk to work with. Then you swing right on the menu master
    > folder choices. You pick the COPY option.

    IIRC, there is also a "clone" option presented on the pull-down.
    Is that not correct? What is the difference between the "COPY"
    and the "CLONE" operations? ... Or am I thinking of some other
    program.(?)

    > You just tell it to copy the whole drive to another drive.
    > Whole OS/2, LVM info, everything just fine. Whoosh, Off it
    > goes and does it.

    What happens if the drives are a different size? With Ghost, if
    the new drive is larger, it will do the drive copy operation and
    seemingly autoformat the remaining unused space in the partition
    of the target drive. How's that work with DFSEE?

    [snip]
    > > (Diverging a bit...) How's OS/2 deal with the
    > > multi-processor Pentium Core2Duo? Any problems? (I am
    > > running CP3 on that machine.)

    > From other information you have shared with me, I think you
    > are telling me that you are running MCP2 at Fix Pack XRC03
    > level. I also recall that you, too, have Warp 4 boxes still
    > left. There are significant fixes post XRC03 level which are
    > important. Most especially DHCP vs. DOS-VDM system
    > corruption and a bunch more items especially related to
    > DOSCALL1 and so on.

    I don't use DHCP on any of the OS/2 machines; all are fixed IP.

    Here is what SYSINFO tells me I'm running:
    ==============cut==============
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 0Kb Cacche at 2337.9MHz (Family:15 Model:3
    Stepping:3)
    Memory: Physical: 479.6Mb ( 16.5% Used), SwapFile: 2.0Mb
    Video: Res: 1024 x 768 x 16777216 Colors, Intel i865 Springdale-G
    (Build 23), 31.8Mb Ram
    Multimedia: CD: IDE CDROM Drive, Audio/Video: OS/2 Universal
    Audio
    Version: OS/2 4.51 US (Convenience Package -
    OS/2 Warp 4 Base Operating System)
    Kernel level: 14.103 (from WSeB CP#2/Warp 4 CP#2 PostFix)
    FixPack level: WSeB CP#1/Warp 4 CP#1 FixPack #5 US (XR0C005)
    DOS Support: Installed.
    Printer/Queue: LS:\\WIN98C-XP\EPSONSTY
    ==============cut==============

    > I known that there have been people who have been unhappy
    > with XRC05 with failures. But I've never seen this on any of
    > a large number of systems here. At least XRC04, I guess, is
    > really needed. Together with kernel updates past this.

    I suppose then that I should update the kernel on all the
    machines, yes/no?

    > Please! If anyone here knows that the 104a kernel above will
    > not work with the Dual Core Intel CPU, post here and tell us.
    > Please!

    > I know there are boundary issues between IBM's MCP2 and eCs
    > 1.4 and to be 2.0 and so on over this. Anyone really
    > understanding this, please reply here so that Marc, I and
    > others do not go astray. Thanks!

    > > This contains fixes since xr_e002/xr_m015/mcp/acp.
    > > Important note: If you use the OS/2 SES facility,

    Not familiar with SES. Describe please.

    > > Finally, note that os2ldr is only required for the >64mb
    > > memory detection mentioned below.

    I presume that the os2ldr is part of the kernel upgrade you
    mentioned above?

    * Best regards from Marc.
    * FIDONET=1:396/45 INTELEC=239:600/70
    A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

  4. Re: SATA drives

    I think I can clarify this .

    Marc Lewis wrote:

    > A little confused over which is which now as far as the kernel
    > goes. Is WR0621 the latest or should I find something later. If
    > so, what's its file name?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Marc

    The numbers in the names as in WR0621.ZIP and WR0811.ZIP are the release month
    and day for these two releases. The WR0621.ZIP is the latest kernel fix I have
    which I have installed on Warp 4 FixPack 17 boxes.

    Released on 06-21-2004 it is level 20040621 14.100c

    The WR0811.ZIP is the latest kernel fix I have left as used on MCP2 FixPack
    XRC005 boxes.

    Released on 08-11-2005 it is level 200507808 14.104a

    As far as I know the doubled date deal is either an 'accident' or may relate to
    the the fact that two releases of this one were made in quick succession as is
    shown in the readme:

    200507808 14.104
    Basically, a re-build of the above from an "official" build machine.
    *This build is safe for Pentium Pros. Note: 486SX CPUs are (and have
    always been) safe ONLY on the W4 kernel.

    200507808 14.104a
    - fixed problem in 14.104 (only) that caused (at least) some VDM
    applications (such as COPY) to fail.

    I have not tried the 14.104a release on Warp4 boxes. Maybe someone else here
    can report on that for us. As well, there is actually an even later Kernel
    level that has appeared on the escaped XRC006 FixPack for I guess MCP2/eCs
    whatever in test. I have that complete fix applied to a mobile drive tray
    using SATA technology for test purposes which has not produced any failures
    here. But then it is not in heavy or daily use at anything either.

    Does this help?

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  5. Re: SATA drives

    On 07/12/08 11:29 pm, Mike Luther wrote:
    > I have not tried the 14.104a release on Warp4 boxes. Maybe someone else
    > here can report on that for us. As well, there is actually an even
    > later Kernel level that has appeared on the escaped XRC006 FixPack for I
    > guess MCP2/eCs whatever in test.

    Both 14.104a and 14.105 (from the escaped fixpak) run fine here on Warp
    v4 FP 15 plus all other free fixes.
    Dave

  6. SATA drives

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    * Original message posted in: OS2.
    * Crossposted in: COMP-OS2-SETUP-MISC.
    Hello All.

    Can OS/2 operate from an SATA drive? One of my main servers is
    starting to develop some problems on the MB; I can get a
    complete system w/ Intel Core2 processor and a 350GB drive for
    an excellent price... But am not familiar with whether or not
    there is a driver that will see the SATA drive. Or will
    Daniela's standard driver work?

    Thanks in advance!

    Best regards,
    Marc
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  7. re: SATA drives

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello all.

    Re: SATA drives >

    > Can OS/2 operate from an SATA drive? One of my main servers
    > is starting to develop some problems on the MB; I can get a
    > complete system w/ Intel Core2 processor and a 350GB drive
    > for an excellent price... But am not familiar with whether or
    > not there is a driver that will see the SATA drive. Or will
    > Daniela's standard driver work?

    ML> Yes it can! I have a whole cadre of what started out as
    ML> high quality late model IDE drives that have been cloned
    ML> with DFSEE to SATA drives in Intel 915 class motherboard
    ML> cases. I think that the latest IBM IDE device drivers will
    ML> work with the SATA level stuff, but in my case I've gone to
    ML> Dani's priceless device drivers which absolutely do work
    ML> with it.

    I have DFSEE 7 (registered version), but have no experience with
    cloning a drive with it. I've always used Norton's "Ghost", but
    I'm not sure that it's going to see an SATA drive. I'll have to
    get more info (e.g. RTFM) on cloning with DFSEE. (If you can
    give me advice on this, please do!)

    ML> You do need to carefully read the documentation if you
    ML> intend to use the latest level of her code for the 1.8.1
    ML> level upwards. That level of her code cannot be just
    ML> re-named to IBM1S506.ADD. and it must have her coordinated
    ML> ATAPI driver as well instead of the IBM code to work if
    ML> you need that.

    Point me to a source for Daniela's most recent edition of her
    drivers please.

    ML> Using DFSEE you can do a floppy diskette boot run, then see
    ML> both the IDE and SATA drive in Jan's toolset.

    I've only used the CD to boot to DFSEE. Should work just as
    well I suppose. (?)

    ML> I've just cloned the IDE drive to the SATA drive and away
    ML> it goes!

    (Diverging a bit...) How's OS/2 deal with the multi-processor
    Pentium Core2Duo? Any problems? (I am running CP3 on that
    machine.)

    ML> More important, I use the technique to clone/backup even
    ML> IBM ThinkPads to USB storage drives. Then I can even take
    ML> that type drive, and use DFSEE to clone it to an SATA
    ML> drive. POOF! That even works I have found out as well.

    Good to know!

    Best regards,
    Marc
    -+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +

+ Reply to Thread