JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question - OS2

This is a discussion on JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question - OS2 ; First, thanks for the answers to the fisrt question. I downloaded 142_9 from the site given by Pete. I ahave not yet installed it. Now, in surveying my ROOT OS/2 Drive I have Java11 - 19,856 KB java 13 - ...

  1. JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    First, thanks for the answers to the fisrt question. I downloaded
    142_9 from the site given by Pete. I ahave not yet installed it.

    Now, in surveying my ROOT OS/2 Drive I have
    Java11 - 19,856 KB
    java 13 - 68,601 KB
    java 142 - 43,272 KB

    directories.
    (1) Do I need them all?
    (2) Can I upgrade those apps using lower java stuff (If so, how?)
    (3) Can I delete some of these directories w/o problems

    NOTE: I use the following that (I believe) uses Java
    SeaMonkey 1.1.10 (Main Browser)
    IBM Web Browser 2.0.5 Still tied to some apps
    Even Netscape Communicator 4.6 for CD-Roms w/HTML files (small
    and compact)
    Opera 5.12

    OpenOffice 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 (1.1.5 does not do Hebrew like
    1.1.4)

    Paul

  2. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    On 10 Lug, 22:44, "PaulRS" wrote:
    > First, thanks for the answers to the fisrt question. *I downloaded
    > 142_9 from the site given by Pete. *I ahave not yet installed it.
    >
    > Now, in surveying my ROOT OS/2 Drive I have
    > * Java11 * - *19,856 KB
    > * java 13 * - *68,601 KB
    > * java 142 - 43,272 KB
    >
    > directories.
    > * (1) Do I need them all?
    > * (2) Can I upgrade those apps using lower java stuff (If so, how?)
    > * (3) Can I delete some of these directories w/o problems

    Of the three, I would choose to delete Java 1.3. Java 1.1 is rather
    old, but some apps written for it aren't compatible with Java 2 and
    later.

    > *NOTE: I use the following that (I believe) uses Java
    > * * * *SeaMonkey 1.1.10 *(Main Browser)
    > * * * * IBM Web Browser 2.0.5 *Still tied to some apps
    > * * * * Even Netscape Communicator 4.6 for CD-Roms w/HTML files (small
    > and compact)

    Those three can use all Java flavours. If you did try the Java 1.5
    trick, there's ('till now) no way to use the browser plugin.

    > * * * * Opera 5.12

    No problem (does anyone know if Java 1.4 works with it?)

    > * * * * OpenOffice 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 *(1.1.5 does not do Hebrew like
    > 1.1.4)

    Should be no problem at all with Java 1.4.2. Consider upgrading to OO
    2.4 native for OS/2.

    Mentore

  3. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    PaulRS wrote:

    > Now, in surveying my ROOT OS/2 Drive I have
    > Java11 - 19,856 KB
    > java 13 - 68,601 KB

    After deleting them I cannot run the TCP notebook anymore.

    Piersamte

  4. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    There are other issues: the DDNS admin tool, BINP admin tool, DHCP admin
    tool (all written in Java) will completely hang your system when they are
    run with java 142. While those tools are not necessary in general, you might
    have (accidentally) installed them and they are then loaded through the
    TCPSTART.CMD batch file. I had a hell of a time until I discovered this
    problem.

    Therefore, I would choose to reinstall Java 13.

    Lars

    "piesse" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > PaulRS wrote:
    >>
    >> Now, in surveying my ROOT OS/2 Drive I have
    >> Java11 - 19,856 KB
    >> java 13 - 68,601 KB

    > After deleting them I cannot run the TCP notebook anymore.
    >
    > Piersamte

  5. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    Hi Piersamte

    piesse wrote:
    > PaulRS wrote:
    >>
    >> Now, in surveying my ROOT OS/2 Drive I have
    >> Java11 - 19,856 KB
    >> java 13 - 68,601 KB

    > After deleting them I cannot run the TCP notebook anymore.
    >
    > Piersamte

    There is/was an update that allowed the tcpip configuration notebook to
    run with java142, jvm0127. From the readme:-

    jvm0127 - 27 Jan 2005
    Add language support for German and Dutch
    jvm0125 - 25 Jan 2005
    Check classpath entries for Java 1.1 and correct if necessary
    jvm1110 - 1 Nov 2004
    Initial release

    This update enables the Logical Volume Manager and TCP/IP configurators
    to be
    run with Java 1.1.8, Java 1.3.1, and Java 1.4.2 and includes updates to the
    various cmd files which allow for the dynamic determination of the correct
    java.exe to be called.

    Regards

    Pete

  6. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:48:06 +0200, Lars Erdmann wrote:

    > There are other issues: the DDNS admin tool, BINP admin tool, DHCP admin
    > tool (all written in Java) will completely hang your system when they are
    > run with java 142.

    "Write once, run anywhere" they used to say about Java. It has never been
    true. I've never known such a crap language with such dreadful backwards
    compatibility problems. Even the worst that Micro$haft have done hasn't
    been this bad.
    Java's a donkey.

  7. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:44:27 UTC, "PaulRS"
    wrote:

    > First, thanks for the answers to the fisrt question. I downloaded
    > 142_9 from the site given by Pete. I ahave not yet installed it.
    >
    > Now, in surveying my ROOT OS/2 Drive I have
    > Java11 - 19,856 KB
    > java 13 - 68,601 KB
    > java 142 - 43,272 KB
    >
    > directories.
    > (1) Do I need them all?
    > (2) Can I upgrade those apps using lower java stuff (If so, how?)
    > (3) Can I delete some of these directories w/o problems
    >
    > NOTE: I use the following that (I believe) uses Java
    > SeaMonkey 1.1.10 (Main Browser)
    > IBM Web Browser 2.0.5 Still tied to some apps
    > Even Netscape Communicator 4.6 for CD-Roms w/HTML files (small
    > and compact)
    > Opera 5.12
    >
    > OpenOffice 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 (1.1.5 does not do Hebrew like
    > 1.1.4)
    >
    > Paul

    I am beginning to see that I had better keep'em all - DRAT!

    By the way, before I delet anything like this I always change the name
    of the directory to something like java11 to ~java11 and then try
    all the apps I think might use it. In this case LVM-GUI complained as
    the first and I suspect others. So I am leaving it alone.
    Paul

    --

  8. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    > There is/was an update that allowed the tcpip configuration notebook to
    > run with java142, jvm0127. From the readme:-

    do you have a link? Google can't find anything with that name

    the program that I have, TCPCfg2, starts but fails to load any current
    information (an empty notebook!). I am using Java Golden Code 1.4.1

    thanks,
    Piersante

  9. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    On Jul 11, 8:01 pm, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > "Write once, run anywhere" they used to say about Java. It has never been
    > true. I've never known such a crap language with such dreadful backwards
    > compatibility problems. Even the worst that Micro$haft have done hasn't
    > been this bad. Java's a donkey.

    You are so right. "Write once, run anywhere". I don't think so .....

    Rgds,
    Mat

  10. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    "Paul Ratcliffe" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:48:06 +0200, Lars Erdmann
    > wrote:
    >
    >> There are other issues: the DDNS admin tool, BINP admin tool, DHCP admin
    >> tool (all written in Java) will completely hang your system when they are
    >> run with java 142.

    > "Write once, run anywhere" they used to say about Java. It has never been
    > true. I've never known such a crap language with such dreadful backwards
    > compatibility problems. Even the worst that Micro$haft have done hasn't
    > been this bad.
    > Java's a donkey.

    Exactly. I have always found it to be a pain in the butt to run a Java app.
    There are more compatibility issues with the Java VM than with any OS there
    has ever been.

    Lars

  11. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    There may be more to this than meets the Java in your eye..

    PaulRS wrote:
    > First, thanks for the answers to the fisrt question. I downloaded
    > 142_9 from the site given by Pete. I ahave not yet installed it.
    >
    > Now, in surveying my ROOT OS/2 Drive I have
    > Java11 - 19,856 KB
    > java 13 - 68,601 KB
    > java 142 - 43,272 KB
    >
    > directories.
    > (1) Do I need them all?
    > (2) Can I upgrade those apps using lower java stuff (If so, how?)
    > (3) Can I delete some of these directories w/o problems
    >
    > NOTE: I use the following that (I believe) uses Java
    > SeaMonkey 1.1.10 (Main Browser)
    > IBM Web Browser 2.0.5 Still tied to some apps
    > Even Netscape Communicator 4.6 for CD-Roms w/HTML files (small
    > and compact)
    > Opera 5.12
    >
    > OpenOffice 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 (1.1.5 does not do Hebrew like
    > 1.1.4)
    >
    > Paul

    I've left Java 1.1 basic in there because there are reasonable reasons for me
    to keep the original NETSCAPE for OS/2 there plus the \FEATURES\FISETUP
    directory structures that are used for other than NETSCAPE as well here. As
    well, as has been noted, the TCP/IP configuration issue with other than Java
    1.1 basic can be problematic.

    More important to my research here, there have been issues with Seamonkey later
    versions failing to work with the Innotek 1.4.2 version as it was first
    released. In almost all my boxes I've first had to delete it off the boxes,
    and re-run the Innotek installer install again. Then re-install 1.4.2 again.
    Then I've also had to install the Innotek 260 Beta before this whole mess is
    finally stable.

    Here are the files I've got which have at this point completely stabilized
    everything here.

    > 1-03-08 12:56a 2452152 88 InnoTekRuntime_112b20.exe
    > 7-10-05 7:57p 682765 0 InnoTek_FT2LIB_240_Release1.exe
    > 7-10-05 7:57p 1019545 0 InnoTek_FT2LIB_260_Beta1.exe

    I don't drink coffee. Joking here, OK? I never did anything my Dad told me to
    do, grin! So he eventually decided if he wanted me to grow up behaving well he
    would ask me to do the reverse. One day he told me to drink coffee and handed
    me a cup. It tasted terrible! I've never liked it since.

    Java is java still as to universal suffering as far as I can tell, grin!

    Maybe this information will help someone else suffering.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  12. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    Hi Piersante

    piesse wrote:

    >> There is/was an update that allowed the tcpip configuration notebook
    >> to run with java142, jvm0127. From the readme:-
    >>

    > do you have a link? Google can't find anything with that name

    No.

    Being an eCS user I can download the package from eCS though...

    > the program that I have, TCPCfg2, starts but fails to load any current
    > information (an empty notebook!). I am using Java Golden Code 1.4.1

    The readme does not mention java141 but if you want to have a look see
    if it helps email me - remove SPAM-ME-NOT - and I'll send you a copy.

    > thanks,
    > Piersante

    Regards

    Pete

  13. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 18:52:25 UTC, piesse wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    > >
    > > Now, in surveying my ROOT OS/2 Drive I have
    > > Java11 - 19,856 KB
    > > java 13 - 68,601 KB

    > After deleting them I cannot run the TCP notebook anymore.
    >
    > Piersamte

    TCPCFG needs at least Java11...

    Mentore

  14. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 06:34:48 UTC, "Mentore Siesto"
    wrote:

    > > > Now, in surveying my ROOT OS/2 Drive I have
    > > > Java11 - 19,856 KB
    > > > java 13 - 68,601 KB

    > > After deleting them I cannot run the TCP notebook anymore.

    > TCPCFG needs at least Java11...

    IMO there's really not much point in keeping Java 1.3.1; but it's a good
    idea to keep 1.1.8 around because some of the IBM applets just work better
    with it.

    TCPCFG2 and LVMGUI both require either 1.1.x or 1.3.x, but they run orders
    of magnitude faster with 1.1.8 than with 1.3.1.

    Also, the SSL key management gui (IKMGUI) will only run with 1.1.8 in my
    experience... not I've ever heard of anybody who actually uses it (AFAIK
    it's only useful if you run a web server, and probably the IBM web server
    specifically).

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  15. Re: JAVA for OS/2 (4.52) New Question

    In , on 07/10/2008
    at 08:44 PM, "PaulRS" said:

    > OpenOffice 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 (1.1.5 does not do Hebrew like
    >1.1.4)

    Do you mean that 1.1.5 does not do BiDi, or just that it doesn't do it the
    same way? What has changed?

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

+ Reply to Thread