Map directory to drive letter? - OS2

This is a discussion on Map directory to drive letter? - OS2 ; I want to run GalCiv from my hard drive, and it requires that certain files be in the root directory. I don't want to carve out a separate partition or logical drive for it, and would prefer mounting a directory ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Map directory to drive letter?

    I want to run GalCiv from my hard drive, and it requires that certain
    files be in the root directory. I don't want to carve out a separate
    partition or logical drive for it, and would prefer mounting a directory
    on an unused drive letter. Is TVFS still the preferred way for doing that,
    and, if so, is the version on Hobbes the most recent one?

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  2. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:34:52 UTC, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
    wrote:

    > I want to run GalCiv from my hard drive, and it requires that certain
    > files be in the root directory. I don't want to carve out a separate
    > partition or logical drive for it, and would prefer mounting a directory
    > on an unused drive letter. Is TVFS still the preferred way for doing that,
    > and, if so, is the version on Hobbes the most recent one?

    Or use:

    net share galciv=c:\galcivdir
    net use g: \\hostname\galciv

    --
    Bob Eager
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

  3. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    wrote:

    > I want to run GalCiv from my hard drive, and it requires that certain
    > files be in the root directory. I don't want to carve out a separate
    > partition or logical drive for it, and would prefer mounting a directory
    > on an unused drive letter. Is TVFS still the preferred way for doing that,
    > and, if so, is the version on Hobbes the most recent one?

    Or use:

    net share galciv=c:\galcivdir
    net use g: \\hostname\galciv

    --
    Bob Eager
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

  4. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    On 8 Jul 2008 06:30:16 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

    > On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:34:52 UTC, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I want to run GalCiv from my hard drive, and it requires that certain
    >> files be in the root directory. I don't want to carve out a separate
    >> partition or logical drive for it, and would prefer mounting a directory
    >> on an unused drive letter. Is TVFS still the preferred way for doing that,
    >> and, if so, is the version on Hobbes the most recent one?

    > Or use:
    >
    > net share galciv=c:\galcivdir
    > net use g: \\hostname\galciv

    Or use SUBSTP.

  5. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    On 8 Jul 2008 06:30:16 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

    > On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:34:52 UTC, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I want to run GalCiv from my hard drive, and it requires that certain
    >> files be in the root directory. I don't want to carve out a separate
    >> partition or logical drive for it, and would prefer mounting a directory
    >> on an unused drive letter. Is TVFS still the preferred way for doing that,
    >> and, if so, is the version on Hobbes the most recent one?

    > Or use:
    >
    > net share galciv=c:\galcivdir
    > net use g: \\hostname\galciv

    Or use SUBSTP.

  6. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    In , on 07/08/2008
    at 07:05 AM, Paul Ratcliffe said:

    >Or use SUBSTP.

    ?

    No such command in HELP; if you mean SUBST, it's DOS only.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  7. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    ?

    No such command in HELP; if you mean SUBST, it's DOS only.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  8. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    In <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-y4oHGpWvRYiD@rikki.tavi.co.uk>, on 07/08/2008
    at 06:30 AM, "Bob Eager" said:

    >Or use:

    > net share galciv=c:\galcivdir
    > net use g: \\hostname\galciv

    Thanks. Doesn't that require LAN Server?

    SYS1041: The name net is not recognized as an
    internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  9. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    at 06:30 AM, "Bob Eager" said:

    >Or use:

    > net share galciv=c:\galcivdir
    > net use g: \\hostname\galciv

    Thanks. Doesn't that require LAN Server?

    SYS1041: The name net is not recognized as an
    internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  10. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    http://www.os2site.com/sw/util/commandline/subst120.zip

    > No such command in HELP;

    Indeed, as it is not a standard part of OS/2. It is a bolt on extra.

    > if you mean SUBST, it's DOS only.

    I didn't (which is why I wrote SUBSTP not SUBST) and I know.

  11. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    wrote:

    > In , on 07/08/2008
    > at 07:05 AM, Paul Ratcliffe said:
    >
    >>Or use SUBSTP.

    > ?

    http://www.os2site.com/sw/util/commandline/subst120.zip

    > No such command in HELP;

    Indeed, as it is not a standard part of OS/2. It is a bolt on extra.

    > if you mean SUBST, it's DOS only.

    I didn't (which is why I wrote SUBSTP not SUBST) and I know.

  12. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 12:21:44 UTC Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
    wrote:

    > In , on 07/08/2008
    > at 07:05 AM, Paul Ratcliffe said:
    >
    > >Or use SUBSTP.

    > ?
    >
    > No such command in HELP; if you mean SUBST, it's DOS only.

    Look at hobbes: subst120.zip in os2/util/disk

    CU/2
    --
    Frank Beythien fBeythien AT gmx.de

  13. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    wrote:

    > In , on 07/08/2008
    > at 07:05 AM, Paul Ratcliffe said:
    >
    > >Or use SUBSTP.

    > ?
    >
    > No such command in HELP; if you mean SUBST, it's DOS only.

    Look at hobbes: subst120.zip in os2/util/disk

    CU/2
    --
    Frank Beythien fBeythien AT gmx.de

  14. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:34:52 UTC, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:

    > I want to run GalCiv from my hard drive, and it requires that certain
    > files be in the root directory. I don't want to carve out a separate
    > partition or logical drive for it, and would prefer mounting a directory
    > on an unused drive letter. Is TVFS still the preferred way for doing that,
    > and, if so, is the version on Hobbes the most recent one?

    Netdrive can do it too - shareware, but you get a lot of other
    functions too.

    --
    Allan.

    It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
    than to open it, and remove all doubt.

  15. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:34:52 UTC, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:

    > I want to run GalCiv from my hard drive, and it requires that certain
    > files be in the root directory. I don't want to carve out a separate
    > partition or logical drive for it, and would prefer mounting a directory
    > on an unused drive letter. Is TVFS still the preferred way for doing that,
    > and, if so, is the version on Hobbes the most recent one?

    Netdrive can do it too - shareware, but you get a lot of other
    functions too.

    --
    Allan.

    It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
    than to open it, and remove all doubt.

  16. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 12:23:03 UTC, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
    wrote:

    > In <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-y4oHGpWvRYiD@rikki.tavi.co.uk>, on 07/08/2008
    > at 06:30 AM, "Bob Eager" said:
    >
    > >Or use:

    > > net share galciv=c:\galcivdir
    > > net use g: \\hostname\galciv

    > Thanks. Doesn't that require LAN Server?

    Or Peer.

    --
    Bob Eager
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

  17. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    wrote:

    > In <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-y4oHGpWvRYiD@rikki.tavi.co.uk>, on 07/08/2008
    > at 06:30 AM, "Bob Eager" said:
    >
    > >Or use:

    > > net share galciv=c:\galcivdir
    > > net use g: \\hostname\galciv

    > Thanks. Doesn't that require LAN Server?

    Or Peer.

    --
    Bob Eager
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

  18. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    In , on 07/08/2008
    at 06:06 PM, Paul Ratcliffe said:

    >http://www.os2site.com/sw/util/commandline/subst120.zip

    Thanks.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  19. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    In , on 07/08/2008
    at 06:06 PM, Paul Ratcliffe said:

    >http://www.os2site.com/sw/util/commandline/subst120.zip

    Thanks.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  20. Re: Map directory to drive letter?

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On 8 Jul 2008 06:30:16 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:34:52 UTC, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to run GalCiv from my hard drive, and it requires that certain
    >>> files be in the root directory. I don't want to carve out a separate
    >>> partition or logical drive for it, and would prefer mounting a directory
    >>> on an unused drive letter. Is TVFS still the preferred way for doing that,
    >>> and, if so, is the version on Hobbes the most recent one?

    >> Or use:
    >>
    >> net share galciv=c:\galcivdir
    >> net use g: \\hostname\galciv

    > Or use SUBSTP.

    Toronto Virtual File System (aka TVFS, free from IBM, at Hobbes) works
    wonderfully too.

    --
    Cheers,
    Martin