Wifi question - OS2

This is a discussion on Wifi question - OS2 ; Will old 802.11b wireless cards communicate with the new N standard routers? I have couple of IBM Wireless "B" cards with OS/2 drivers. Now I need to get a router! TIA....

  1. Wifi question

    Will old 802.11b wireless cards communicate with the new N standard
    routers?

    I have couple of IBM Wireless "B" cards with OS/2 drivers. Now I need to
    get a router!

    TIA.

  2. Re: Wifi question

    truthteller@nospam.net wrote:
    > Will old 802.11b wireless cards communicate with the new N standard
    > routers?
    >
    > I have couple of IBM Wireless "B" cards with OS/2 drivers. Now I need to
    > get a router!

    Many/most new and existing routers will automatically support 802.11b.
    My experience is that most routers support 802.11b/g, a very few also
    support 802.11n, and almost none support 802.11a. Get a router for
    802.11g and it will almost always also support 802.11b. The 802.11n
    standard is not actually a 'standard' yet because the final
    specification was never ratified. Yes, n routers are being sold but
    they may not work when the n standard is finalized, if it ever is. The
    bottom line is that those old wireless "B" cards will still work with
    OS/2 with almost all public wifi, although you might still have trouble
    using a particular system in OS/2 if it wants to do some sort of
    'payment/authentication-in-advance' via a windows IE browser. Private
    wifi will generally not be a problem, providing that it is set to use
    WEP encryption. Every router I've seen can be set to use either WEP or
    WPA and sometimes both at once. The OS/2 wireless cards will not work
    with WPA encryption.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  3. Re: Wifi question

    In , on 07/07/2008
    at 02:16 PM, "David T. Johnson" said:

    >truthteller@nospam.net wrote:
    >> Will old 802.11b wireless cards communicate with the new N standard
    >> routers?
    >>
    >> I have couple of IBM Wireless "B" cards with OS/2 drivers. Now I need to
    >> get a router!
    >>

    >Many/most new and existing routers will automatically support 802.11b.
    >My experience is that most routers support 802.11b/g, a very few also
    >support 802.11n, and almost none support 802.11a. Get a router for
    >802.11g and it will almost always also support 802.11b. The 802.11n
    >standard is not actually a 'standard' yet because the final
    >specification was never ratified. Yes, n routers are being sold but
    >they may not work when the n standard is finalized, if it ever is. The
    >bottom line is that those old wireless "B" cards will still work with
    >OS/2 with almost all public wifi, although you might still have trouble
    >using a particular system in OS/2 if it wants to do some sort of
    >'payment/authentication-in-advance' via a windows IE browser. Private
    >wifi will generally not be a problem, providing that it is set to use
    >WEP encryption. Every router I've seen can be set to use either WEP or
    >WPA and sometimes both at once. The OS/2 wireless cards will not work
    >with WPA encryption.

    David,

    Thank you for the information. I was looking at "N" routers, from D-Link
    because D-Link says they will support the final standard, and I've had
    good luck with them in the past. But mostly I wanted to go the N route
    because of the additional range we see in the literature for N routers.
    (Although I have not seen any studies that actually prove an increase over
    some of the G routers.)

    Whatever happened to all the updates and drivers that ecs was going to
    produce for OS/2? -- We haven't seen anything in years, and this is one
    that should have been worked on.

    Ed

  4. Re: Wifi question

    They should without any problems since IIRC the N standard is "B"ackwards
    compatible.

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, truthteller@nospam.net wrote:

    > Will old 802.11b wireless cards communicate with the new N standard
    > routers?
    >
    > I have couple of IBM Wireless "B" cards with OS/2 drivers. Now I need to
    > get a router!
    >
    > TIA.

  5. Re: Wifi question

    In , on
    07/13/2008
    at 10:47 AM, Robert Wolfe said:

    >They should without any problems since IIRC the N standard is "B"ackwards
    > compatible.

    Yes they are. Thanks.

    There is a lot of mis-information in the market place. After my first
    post I found that the Lenovo (annoying xp wincrap) machine has "N"
    wireless from Intel built in. I haven't gotten the OS2 laptop to work
    yet.

    on, 7 Jul 2008, truthteller@nospam.net wrote:

    >> Will old 802.11b wireless cards communicate with the new N standard
    >> routers?
    >>
    >> I have couple of IBM Wireless "B" cards with OS/2 drivers. Now I need to
    >> get a router!
    >>
    >> TIA.

+ Reply to Thread