HELP!! What a mess I got!! - OS2

This is a discussion on HELP!! What a mess I got!! - OS2 ; HELP!! What a mess I got!! I moved my OS/2 HDD from a Pentium into a P4 machine today, and I thought everything was going ok, WRONG.I have an error in config.sys now,which I expected, because of a reference to ...

  1. HELP!! What a mess I got!!

    HELP!!
    What a mess I got!!

    I moved my OS/2 HDD from a Pentium into a P4 machine today, and I
    thought everything was going ok, WRONG.I have an error in config.sys
    now,which I expected, because of a reference to a Soundblaster AWE32,
    the soundcard I used in my old machine. This new machine has
    integrated sound in the motherboard, so now I get this error. Anyway,
    I was trying to uninstall it from OS/2 using selective install, hoping
    it would ask me how many are in my system, I'd change it from 1 to 0
    and hopefully uninstall it from config.sys and delete the drivers. I
    haven't figured out how to properly remove hardware from Warp4 yet.
    That didn't uninstall it. So in the middle of all this madness I hit
    the reset button out of frustration. It booted back up, ran chkdsk on
    C:, gave me the Soundblaster error, and an error about com.sys and
    vcom.sys, and D: needing chkdsk, then onto the desktop. After about 2
    sec., the desktop disappeared, and I could see what looks like desktop
    borders disappearing, then I get an error that says: SYS2070 A
    program in this session encountered a problem and cannot continue
    END.... / DISPLAY....
    When I select Display register info. it says: "The system could not
    demand load the application's segment. FTPAPI is in error. For
    additional details type: HELP193".
    Then I select "End", the computer boots to the desktop, the hard drive
    finally stops "clacking", after 2 seconds the desktop disappears and
    the whole thing starts all over again. It's in a loop!! It will never
    stop at the destop like it normally would. After 2 seconds it loops
    again, untill it stops at the error.
    So far I tried "Alt - F1" but I can't get it to bring up the console.
    I have utility disks, but when I boot with them and try to run TEDIT
    to edit C:\config.sys I get an message: "Cannot open file".
    HELP!! If anyone can help, PLEASE. :-) I could format the drive and re-
    install everything again,(the only remedy I can make work), but I HAD
    it running pretty good when it was in the old Pentium, and I really
    don't want to go through all that installing again if I can fix it
    CORRECTLY.
    Thanks for any help offered!!,
    Snyde

  2. Re: HELP!! What a mess I got!!

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 00:39:54 UTC, Snydley wrote:

    > That didn't uninstall it. So in the middle of all this madness I hit
    > the reset button out of frustration. It booted back up, ran chkdsk on
    > C:, gave me the Soundblaster error, and an error about com.sys and
    > vcom.sys, and D: needing chkdsk, then onto the desktop. After about 2
    > sec., the desktop disappeared, and I could see what looks like desktop
    > borders disappearing, then I get an error that says: SYS2070 A
    > program in this session encountered a problem and cannot continue
    > END.... / DISPLAY....
    > When I select Display register info. it says: "The system could not
    > demand load the application's segment. FTPAPI is in error. For
    > additional details type: HELP193".
    > Then I select "End", the computer boots to the desktop, the hard drive
    > finally stops "clacking", after 2 seconds the desktop disappears and
    > the whole thing starts all over again. It's in a loop!! It will never
    > stop at the destop like it normally would. After 2 seconds it loops
    > again, untill it stops at the error.

    Sounds like your desktop is hosed. The normal fix is to either restore it
    from archive, or recreate it from templates.

    > So far I tried "Alt - F1" but I can't get it to bring up the console.

    Why not? What happens?

    > I have utility disks, but when I boot with them and try to run TEDIT
    > to edit C:\config.sys I get an message: "Cannot open file".

    Probably because the dirty flag is set. You can't access any files on the
    hard disk until you run CHKDSK /F on it.

    In any case, I doubt CONFIG.SYS is the problem, more likely it's your
    desktop INI files (OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI). If you get the Alt-F1
    recovery console working, you can restore the files from there. Otherwise
    I think you may be able to use ARCRECOV manually from a command line...

    > HELP!! If anyone can help, PLEASE. :-) I could format the drive and re-
    > install everything again,(the only remedy I can make work), but I HAD
    > it running pretty good when it was in the old Pentium, and I really
    > don't want to go through all that installing again if I can fix it
    > CORRECTLY.

    Shouldn't be necessary. Hosed INI files happen from time to time, but
    rarely require a reinstall.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  3. Re: HELP!! What a mess I got!!

    Snydley wrote:
    > HELP!!
    > What a mess I got!!
    >
    > I moved my OS/2 HDD from a Pentium into a P4 machine today, and I
    > thought everything was going ok, WRONG.I have an error in config.sys
    > now,which I expected, because of a reference to a Soundblaster AWE32,
    > the soundcard I used in my old machine. This new machine has
    > integrated sound in the motherboard, so now I get this error. Anyway,
    > I was trying to uninstall it from OS/2 using selective install, hoping
    > it would ask me how many are in my system, I'd change it from 1 to 0
    > and hopefully uninstall it from config.sys and delete the drivers. I
    > haven't figured out how to properly remove hardware from Warp4 yet.
    > That didn't uninstall it. So in the middle of all this madness I hit
    > the reset button out of frustration. It booted back up, ran chkdsk on
    > C:, gave me the Soundblaster error, and an error about com.sys and
    > vcom.sys, and D: needing chkdsk, then onto the desktop. After about 2
    > sec., the desktop disappeared, and I could see what looks like desktop
    > borders disappearing, then I get an error that says: SYS2070 A
    > program in this session encountered a problem and cannot continue
    > END.... / DISPLAY....
    > When I select Display register info. it says: "The system could not
    > demand load the application's segment. FTPAPI is in error. For
    > additional details type: HELP193".
    > Then I select "End", the computer boots to the desktop, the hard drive
    > finally stops "clacking", after 2 seconds the desktop disappears and
    > the whole thing starts all over again. It's in a loop!! It will never
    > stop at the destop like it normally would. After 2 seconds it loops
    > again, untill it stops at the error.
    > So far I tried "Alt - F1" but I can't get it to bring up the console.
    > I have utility disks, but when I boot with them and try to run TEDIT
    > to edit C:\config.sys I get an message: "Cannot open file".
    > HELP!! If anyone can help, PLEASE. :-) I could format the drive and re-
    > install everything again,(the only remedy I can make work), but I HAD
    > it running pretty good when it was in the old Pentium, and I really
    > don't want to go through all that installing again if I can fix it
    > CORRECTLY.
    > Thanks for any help offered!!,

    Somehow your desktop has gotten corrupted and you are unable to access
    the Alt-F1 sequence to recover a backup archive. I doubt that there is
    anyway to fix your desktop but you can recover a backtop from archives
    if you have utility disks or cd or something that will let you boot to
    an os/2 command prompt. When you have the command prompt, change to the
    os2 directory and use the arcrecov.exe utility to recover one of the
    archives. There's not much documentation on the utility but you type

    ARCRECOV X

    where X is the number of the archive you want to restore, usually 1, 2,
    or 3 where 3 is the newest one and 1 is the oldest. I did this once
    when I was in a similar situation as you are and it gave me back the
    archived desktop.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  4. Re: HELP!! What a mess I got!!

    On 07/06/08 01:39 am Alex Taylor wrote:

    >> That didn't uninstall it. So in the middle of all this madness I hit
    >> the reset button out of frustration. It booted back up, ran chkdsk on
    >> C:, gave me the Soundblaster error, and an error about com.sys and
    >> vcom.sys, and D: needing chkdsk, then onto the desktop. After about 2
    >> sec., the desktop disappeared, and I could see what looks like desktop
    >> borders disappearing, then I get an error that says: SYS2070 A
    >> program in this session encountered a problem and cannot continue
    >> END.... / DISPLAY....
    >> When I select Display register info. it says: "The system could not
    >> demand load the application's segment. FTPAPI is in error. For
    >> additional details type: HELP193".
    >> Then I select "End", the computer boots to the desktop, the hard drive
    >> finally stops "clacking", after 2 seconds the desktop disappears and
    >> the whole thing starts all over again. It's in a loop!! It will never
    >> stop at the destop like it normally would. After 2 seconds it loops
    >> again, untill it stops at the error.

    > Sounds like your desktop is hosed. The normal fix is to either restore it
    > from archive, or recreate it from templates.
    >

    >> So far I tried "Alt - F1" but I can't get it to bring up the console.

    > Why not? What happens?
    >

    >> I have utility disks, but when I boot with them and try to run TEDIT
    >> to edit C:\config.sys I get an message: "Cannot open file".

    > Probably because the dirty flag is set. You can't access any files on the
    > hard disk until you run CHKDSK /F on it.
    >
    > In any case, I doubt CONFIG.SYS is the problem, more likely it's your
    > desktop INI files (OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI). If you get the Alt-F1
    > recovery console working, you can restore the files from there. Otherwise
    > I think you may be able to use ARCRECOV manually from a command line...
    >

    >> HELP!! If anyone can help, PLEASE. :-) I could format the drive and re-
    >> install everything again,(the only remedy I can make work), but I HAD
    >> it running pretty good when it was in the old Pentium, and I really
    >> don't want to go through all that installing again if I can fix it
    >> CORRECTLY.

    > Shouldn't be necessary. Hosed INI files happen from time to time, but
    > rarely require a reinstall.

    Does the "Constructive MAKEINI" shown at

    (http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/pcpartne...stips/deaa.htm

    still work?

    Perce

  5. Re: HELP!! What a mess I got!!

    On Jul 6, 1:39*am, "Alex Taylor" wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 00:39:54 UTC, Snydley wrote:
    > > That didn't uninstall it. So in the middle of all this madness I hit
    > > the reset button out of frustration. It booted back up, ran chkdsk on
    > > C:, gave me the Soundblaster error, and an error about com.sys and
    > > vcom.sys, and D: needing chkdsk, then onto the desktop. After about 2
    > > sec., the desktop disappeared, and I could see what looks like desktop
    > > borders disappearing, then I get an error that says: SYS2070 *A
    > > program in this session encountered a problem and cannot continue
    > > END.... / DISPLAY....
    > > When I select Display register info. it says: "The system could not
    > > demand load the application's segment. FTPAPI is in error. For
    > > additional details type: HELP193".
    > > Then I select "End", the computer boots to the desktop, the hard drive
    > > finally stops "clacking", after 2 seconds the desktop disappears and
    > > the whole thing starts all over again. It's in a loop!! It will never
    > > stop at the destop like it normally would. After 2 seconds it loops
    > > again, untill it stops at the error.

    > Sounds like your desktop is hosed. *The normal fix is to either restoreit
    > from archive, or recreate it from templates. *
    >
    > > So far I tried "Alt - F1" *but I can't get it to bring up the console..

    > Why not? *What happens?
    >
    > > I have utility disks, but when I boot with them and try to run TEDIT
    > > to edit C:\config.sys I get an message: "Cannot open file".

    > Probably because the dirty flag is set. *You can't access any files on the
    > hard disk until you run CHKDSK /F on it.
    >
    > In any case, I doubt CONFIG.SYS is the problem, more likely it's your
    > desktop INI files (OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI). *If you get the Alt-F1
    > recovery console working, you can restore the files from there. *Otherwise
    > I think you may be able to use ARCRECOV manually from a command line...
    >
    > > HELP!! If anyone can help, PLEASE. :-) I could format the drive and re-
    > > install everything again,(the only remedy I can make work), but I HAD
    > > it running pretty good when it was in the old Pentium, and I really
    > > don't want to go through all that installing again if I can fix it
    > > CORRECTLY.

    > Shouldn't be necessary. *Hosed INI files happen from time to time, but
    > rarely require a reinstall.
    >
    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > Fukushima, Japanhttp://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00
    >
    > Please take off hat when replying.- Hide quoted text -

    I was finally able to use ALT-F1 to get to the console. I wasn't
    pressing ALT-F1 quick enough, I guess, before and it was passing
    right by it. I used the option to recover my archive and as it was
    recovering, it said "Recovering KEY files" and then the hard drive
    just froze. I noticed last night that it was "clacking" and making a
    heck of a racket, I think it finally gave out. I rebooted it to see
    what would happen, and the computer now says "DISK BOOT FAILURE,
    INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I kinda had the feeling it was on
    it's way out because ever since I resurrected this thing that hard
    drive would only boot if the jumper was on SLAVE. It's done it's job I
    guess. It's a Western Digital Caviar 31600, and it's been in many
    machines over the years, guess it was just it's turn to crap out. I've
    got another Caviar 31200 from Aug '95 that I can try. If this is no
    good, it's time to go shopping :-)
    Just so I can try to avoid this happening again, can you recommend a
    disk imaging, or backup program that'll work with Warp4? If I get
    things this far along this time I want to have a backup in case this
    drive decides to "go south" with it's brother. :-)
    Thanks,
    Rick

  6. Re: HELP!! What a mess I got!!

    On 06.07.08 20:39, Snydley wrote:

    > can you recommend a disk imaging, or backup program that'll work
    > with Warp4?

    I would use DFSee. It's the only tool that's compatible to LVM and
    JFS. Moreover, it's not only an imaging tool, but helps a lot on
    creating partions/volumes and fixing for OS/2 incompatible disk
    entries caused by other tools.

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  7. Re: HELP!! What a mess I got!!

    In , on
    07/06/2008
    at 11:39 AM, Snydley said:

    >Just so I can try to avoid this happening again, can you recommend a disk
    >imaging, or backup program that'll work with Warp4? If I get things this
    >far along this time I want to have a backup in case this drive decides to
    >"go south" with it's brother. :-)

    Like others, I recommend dfsee. However, for simple setups, you can just
    use zip. Boot to the command line and use

    zip -rS zipfile *

    from the root of your boot drive.

    To recover, you will need a set of boot diskettes are a bootable CD that
    contains

    format
    sysinstx
    unzip

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 11pre14 #10183