ECS 1.2R USB drive problem - OS2

This is a discussion on ECS 1.2R USB drive problem - OS2 ; Having had instant success adding a USB floppy to my Thinkpad, I have had no success trying to add a USB external hard drive. The drive works immediately when the system is booted as XP but on ECS not much ...

  1. ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    Having had instant success adding a USB floppy to my Thinkpad, I have
    had no success trying to add a USB external hard drive. The drive works
    immediately when the system is booted as XP but on ECS not much happens.
    LVM can read the partitioning information but cannot update the drive
    letter or do anything involving writing to the drive. Also, drive icons
    for the partitions appear in the drives folder, but these give error
    messages when trying to access a drive. The relevant system files have
    been updated to the recommended levels.

    Browsing around I notice the following which appears inconsistent:
    USBMSD.ADD:
    Hardware Manager Version 2.0 5/2/2004
    Bldlevel 10.162
    File attributes 21/12/2005

    So I have two questions:
    1) is that info okay?
    2) Any suggestions as to what is going wrong?

    Regards
    Peter

  2. Re: ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    Hi Peter

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > Having had instant success adding a USB floppy to my Thinkpad, I have
    > had no success trying to add a USB external hard drive. The drive works
    > immediately when the system is booted as XP but on ECS not much happens.
    > LVM can read the partitioning information but cannot update the drive
    > letter or do anything involving writing to the drive. Also, drive icons
    > for the partitions appear in the drives folder, but these give error
    > messages when trying to access a drive. The relevant system files have
    > been updated to the recommended levels.
    >
    > Browsing around I notice the following which appears inconsistent:
    > USBMSD.ADD:
    > Hardware Manager Version 2.0 5/2/2004
    > Bldlevel 10.162
    > File attributes 21/12/2005
    >
    > So I have two questions:
    > 1) is that info okay?
    > 2) Any suggestions as to what is going wrong?
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter

    I think it may be a case of making the drive into a Compatibility Volume
    using LVM.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Peter
    >
    > Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >
    >> Having had instant success adding a USB floppy to my Thinkpad, I have
    >> had no success trying to add a USB external hard drive. The drive works
    >> immediately when the system is booted as XP but on ECS not much happens.
    >> LVM can read the partitioning information but cannot update the drive
    >> letter or do anything involving writing to the drive. Also, drive icons
    >> for the partitions appear in the drives folder, but these give error
    >> messages when trying to access a drive. The relevant system files have
    >> been updated to the recommended levels.
    >>
    >> Browsing around I notice the following which appears inconsistent:
    >> USBMSD.ADD:
    >> Hardware Manager Version 2.0 5/2/2004
    >> Bldlevel 10.162
    >> File attributes 21/12/2005
    >>
    >> So I have two questions:
    >> 1) is that info okay?
    >> 2) Any suggestions as to what is going wrong?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Peter

    > I think it may be a case of making the drive into a Compatibility Volume
    > using LVM.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    That's not the problem - I can't even get that far. LVM won't commit any
    changes.
    Peter

  4. Re: ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    Hi Peter

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > Peter Brown wrote:
    >> Hi Peter
    >>
    >> Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >>
    >>> Having had instant success adding a USB floppy to my Thinkpad, I have
    >>> had no success trying to add a USB external hard drive. The drive works
    >>> immediately when the system is booted as XP but on ECS not much happens.
    >>> LVM can read the partitioning information but cannot update the drive
    >>> letter or do anything involving writing to the drive. Also, drive icons
    >>> for the partitions appear in the drives folder, but these give error
    >>> messages when trying to access a drive. The relevant system files have
    >>> been updated to the recommended levels.
    >>>
    >>> Browsing around I notice the following which appears inconsistent:
    >>> USBMSD.ADD:
    >>> Hardware Manager Version 2.0 5/2/2004
    >>> Bldlevel 10.162
    >>> File attributes 21/12/2005
    >>>
    >>> So I have two questions:
    >>> 1) is that info okay?
    >>> 2) Any suggestions as to what is going wrong?
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Peter

    >> I think it may be a case of making the drive into a Compatibility
    >> Volume using LVM.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Pete
    >>

    > That's not the problem - I can't even get that far. LVM won't commit any
    > changes.
    > Peter

    Sorry, guess I did not read your post fully and missed the "cannot
    update the drive letter or do anything involving writing to the drive"...

    I suspect the answer may be that you need to off load any data that you
    want from that drive and use DFSee to re-partition it and create the
    necessary LVM data.

    Not sure where you dug up the usbmsd.add data but the build level is
    correct.

    Regards

    Pete

  5. Re: ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Peter
    >
    > Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Brown wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Peter

    >>> I think it may be a case of making the drive into a Compatibility
    >>> Volume using LVM.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>
    >>> Pete
    >>>

    >> That's not the problem - I can't even get that far. LVM won't commit any
    >> changes.
    >> Peter

    > Sorry, guess I did not read your post fully and missed the "cannot
    > update the drive letter or do anything involving writing to the drive"...
    >
    > I suspect the answer may be that you need to off load any data that you
    > want from that drive and use DFSee to re-partition it and create the
    > necessary LVM data.
    >
    > Not sure where you dug up the usbmsd.add data but the build level is
    > correct.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    No real progress so far. For convenience I switched to a PNY memory
    stick which also was not working from ECS but was from XP. I ran DFSee
    from a DOS session and was able to manipulate the device, setting a new
    partition and formatting it FAT. However, looking at the device in ECS
    all I see now is free space whereas earlier the previous XP allocated
    partition was visible.
    I will continue fiddling as time allows.
    Regards
    Peter

    P.S. The usbmsd.add date came from the OS/2 Hardware Manager program.

  6. Re: ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    Not sure if this is relevant or not, but what is the filesystem on the
    drive in question?

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008, Peter J Seymour wrote:

    > Having had instant success adding a USB floppy to my Thinkpad, I have had no
    > success trying to add a USB external hard drive. The drive works immediately
    > when the system is booted as XP but on ECS not much happens. LVM can read the
    > partitioning information but cannot update the drive letter or do anything
    > involving writing to the drive. Also, drive icons for the partitions appear
    > in the drives folder, but these give error messages when trying to access a
    > drive. The relevant system files have been updated to the recommended levels.
    >
    > Browsing around I notice the following which appears inconsistent:
    > USBMSD.ADD:
    > Hardware Manager Version 2.0 5/2/2004
    > Bldlevel 10.162
    > File attributes 21/12/2005
    >
    > So I have two questions:
    > 1) is that info okay?
    > 2) Any suggestions as to what is going wrong?
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter

  7. Re: ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    Use ALVM (Avalanche LVM) to create volume -- http://ecomstation.ru/apecs.php?action=list&str=ALVM

    > That's not the problem - I can't even get that far. LVM won't commit any
    > changes.

  8. Re: ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > Having had instant success adding a USB floppy to my Thinkpad, I have
    > had no success trying to add a USB external hard drive. The drive works
    > immediately when the system is booted as XP but on ECS not much happens.
    > LVM can read the partitioning information but cannot update the drive
    > letter or do anything involving writing to the drive. Also, drive icons
    > for the partitions appear in the drives folder, but these give error
    > messages when trying to access a drive. The relevant system files have
    > been updated to the recommended levels.

    Just showing my ignorance here, but as far as removable drives are
    concerned what is the practical difference between primary and logical
    partitions.
    Regards
    Peter

  9. Re: ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    Hi Peter

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >> Having had instant success adding a USB floppy to my Thinkpad, I have
    >> had no success trying to add a USB external hard drive. The drive
    >> works immediately when the system is booted as XP but on ECS not much
    >> happens. LVM can read the partitioning information but cannot update
    >> the drive letter or do anything involving writing to the drive. Also,
    >> drive icons for the partitions appear in the drives folder, but these
    >> give error messages when trying to access a drive. The relevant system
    >> files have been updated to the recommended levels.

    > Just showing my ignorance here, but as far as removable drives are
    > concerned what is the practical difference between primary and logical
    > partitions.
    > Regards
    > Peter

    No idea really - but I suspect the max limit of primary partitions per
    system (4?) may come into play if attaching a usb drive with a primary
    partition to a system that already has the max number of primary
    partitions in use.

    Regards

    Pete

  10. Re: ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 15:52:46 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > I suspect the max limit of primary partitions per
    > system (4?) may come into play if attaching a usb drive with a primary
    > partition to a system that already has the max number of primary
    > partitions in use.

    There is no such limit. The limit that there is is on the number of primary
    partitions per physical drive, not per system.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  11. Re: ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru wrote:
    > Use ALVM (Avalanche LVM) to create volume -- http://ecomstation.ru/apecs.php?action=list&str=ALVM
    >

    >>That's not the problem - I can't even get that far. LVM won't commit any
    >>changes.

    Well, that didn't help at all. With no USB device attached the program
    started but displayed psychedelic colours and random characters in the
    window. With a USB device attached the program wouldn't even start.
    Peter

  12. Re: ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    In , on 07/06/2008
    at 04:52 PM, Peter Brown said:

    >No idea really - but I suspect the max limit of primary partitions per
    >system

    What limit? AFAIK the only limit is the number of primary partitions per
    physical drive. FWIW, I use logical dives in an extended logical partition
    and have never needed 4 primary partitions on a single drive.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  13. Re: ECS 1.2R USB drive problem

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru wrote:
    >> Use ALVM (Avalanche LVM) to create volume --
    >> http://ecomstation.ru/apecs.php?action=list&str=ALVM
    >>

    >>> That's not the problem - I can't even get that far. LVM won't commit any
    >>> changes.

    > Well, that didn't help at all. With no USB device attached the program
    > started but displayed psychedelic colours and random characters in the
    > window. With a USB device attached the program wouldn't even start.
    > Peter

    I recognize the first issue (the psychedelic colors), it sometimes
    happens on my box too (but then with WinOS2). I just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to
    get into TOP (or whatever it's called, sorry I'm on XP now so can't
    check it out), then Esc to get back to the WPS, and then I have normal
    windows and normal colors.

    OK, that still leaves the problem why ALVM won't even start....

    P.

+ Reply to Thread