Nvidia Vanta VGA driver needed - OS2

This is a discussion on Nvidia Vanta VGA driver needed - OS2 ; I found an old AGP video card in my pile of computer crap and there are no distinguship numbers or FCC ID on it. When the computer boots up it shows" Nvidia VANTA VGA Bios 2.05.17.03.00 96-99 Nvidia 16M I'm ...

  1. Nvidia Vanta VGA driver needed

    I found an old AGP video card in my pile of computer crap and there
    are no distinguship numbers or FCC ID on it.
    When the computer boots up it shows" Nvidia VANTA VGA Bios
    2.05.17.03.00 96-99 Nvidia 16M
    I'm trying to locate Warp 4 drivers for it. Does anyone have one or
    know where there might be a good repository of drivers? I tried Hobbes
    already with no luck. I'm bound and determined to make a good running
    OS/2 machine out of this P.O.S.
    Thanks,
    Snyde

  2. Re: Nvidia Vanta VGA driver needed

    Snydley wrote:
    > I found an old AGP video card in my pile of computer crap and there
    > are no distinguship numbers or FCC ID on it.
    > When the computer boots up it shows" Nvidia VANTA VGA Bios
    > 2.05.17.03.00 96-99 Nvidia 16M
    > I'm trying to locate Warp 4 drivers for it. Does anyone have one or
    > know where there might be a good repository of drivers? I tried Hobbes
    > already with no luck. I'm bound and determined to make a good running
    > OS/2 machine out of this P.O.S.

    _____
    Have a look at:
    http://www.driver100.com/driver/431/...A3000_AGP.html
    and download nvidia0s2.zip. The description of this driver package on
    another site (http://www.os2bbs.com/Download/vdrivers.html) says:
    "NVIDIA0S.ZIP 959760 07-19-99 10:51:06
    (NVIDIA0S2.ZIP) OS/2 Driver for RIVA TNT. Compatible with all
    RIVA TNT2, NVIDIA Vanta and RIVA TNT-based products"

    It mentions Vanta, so you might be able to use it. I use the TNT driver
    from this package on my OS/2 workstation. Works ok. There is another
    file with drivers; 128TNTB5.ZIP. I don't know what this package
    supports, but it is available from Hobbes and
    http://ftp.uni-heidelberg.de/ftp/pub...ivers/display/

    A 16 Mb graphics card is quite adequate for OS/2; fairly fast, and lots
    of colours.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  3. Re: Nvidia Vanta VGA driver needed

    Snydley wrote:
    > know where there might be a good repository of drivers? I tried Hobbes
    > I'm bound and determined to make a good running OS/2 machine out of
    > this P.O.S.

    _____
    Also have a look at this fellow's web site:
    http://www.blondeguy.com/, and go to http://www.blondeguy.com/A20Essay.html

    There is all sorts of good info about OS/2 on the inet.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  4. Re: Nvidia Vanta VGA driver needed

    You have 2 options

    1) using the Nvidia driver for OS/2

    I think Fixpak 5 for OS/2 Warp 4 is required for operation.

    2) using Scitechsoft's SDD or SNAP
    The latest version 3.18 is now freely available here:

    But it requires at least Warp 3 with FixPak 35, or Warp 4 with FixPak 5
    installed.

    --
    Andreas Kohl

  5. Re: Nvidia Vanta VGA driver needed

    Andreas Kohl wrote:
    > You have 2 options
    >
    > 1) using the Nvidia driver for OS/2
    >
    > I think Fixpak 5 for OS/2 Warp 4 is required for operation.

    _____
    I had a quick look at the unzipped directory contents. Installation
    seems a little cryptic. Perhaps you can illustrate how to install the
    driver properly for Snydley's benefit? The NVIDIA0S2.ZIP driver package
    is simple enough to install; /after/ setting the system to regular VGA mode.

    > 2) using Scitechsoft's SDD or SNAP
    > The latest version 3.18 is now freely available here:
    >
    > But it requires at least Warp 3 with FixPak 35, or Warp 4 with FixPak 5
    > installed.

    _____
    Thanks for the link.

    I also recently tried a driver from this company
    (sdd-os2-7.0.4-b35.exe). It let me set the refresh rate correctly to
    what i wanted (70+ Hz). However, it was for evaluation only, and after
    the evaluation time was up i had some difficulties getting rid of it and
    setting video back to VGA mode. I did not have access to the
    registration code as is the case with the package you suggested. I
    shall try the snap-os2-3.1.8.exe driver pack to see how it works out.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  6. Re: Nvidia Vanta VGA driver needed

    On 06/25/08 07:44 pm, jch wrote:
    > Andreas Kohl wrote:
    >> You have 2 options
    >>
    >> 1) using the Nvidia driver for OS/2
    >>
    >> I think Fixpak 5 for OS/2 Warp 4 is required for operation.

    > _____
    > I had a quick look at the unzipped directory contents. Installation
    > seems a little cryptic. Perhaps you can illustrate how to install the
    > driver properly for Snydley's benefit? The NVIDIA0S2.ZIP driver package
    > is simple enough to install; /after/ setting the system to regular VGA
    > mode.
    >>
    >> 2) using Scitechsoft's SDD or SNAP
    >> The latest version 3.18 is now freely available here:
    >>
    >> But it requires at least Warp 3 with FixPak 35, or Warp 4 with FixPak
    >> 5 installed.

    > _____
    > Thanks for the link.
    >
    > I also recently tried a driver from this company
    > (sdd-os2-7.0.4-b35.exe). It let me set the refresh rate correctly to
    > what i wanted (70+ Hz). However, it was for evaluation only, and after
    > the evaluation time was up i had some difficulties getting rid of it and
    > setting video back to VGA mode. I did not have access to the
    > registration code as is the case with the package you suggested. I shall
    > try the snap-os2-3.1.8.exe driver pack to see how it works out.

    Support and development has stopped on the scitech display drivers and
    they are in the process of being open sourced. For now you can use
    Name: Free OS/2 Code
    Code: 9F98-2AB9-9195-CC
    to register them. These are really the drivers to use as quite a few
    programs have been written with them in mind.
    Dave

  7. Re: Nvidia Vanta VGA driver needed

    Dave Yeo wrote:
    > On 06/25/08 07:44 pm, jch wrote:
    >> Andreas Kohl wrote:
    >>> You have 2 options
    >>>
    >>> 1) using the Nvidia driver for OS/2
    >>>
    >>> I think Fixpak 5 for OS/2 Warp 4 is required for operation.

    >> _____
    >> I had a quick look at the unzipped directory contents. Installation
    >> seems a little cryptic. Perhaps you can illustrate how to install the
    >> driver properly for Snydley's benefit? The NVIDIA0S2.ZIP driver package
    >> is simple enough to install; /after/ setting the system to regular VGA
    >> mode.
    >>>
    >>> 2) using Scitechsoft's SDD or SNAP
    >>> The latest version 3.18 is now freely available here:
    >>>
    >>> But it requires at least Warp 3 with FixPak 35, or Warp 4 with FixPak
    >>> 5 installed.

    >> _____
    >> Thanks for the link.
    >>
    >> I also recently tried a driver from this company
    >> (sdd-os2-7.0.4-b35.exe). It let me set the refresh rate correctly to
    >> what i wanted (70+ Hz). However, it was for evaluation only, and after
    >> the evaluation time was up i had some difficulties getting rid of it and
    >> setting video back to VGA mode. I did not have access to the
    >> registration code as is the case with the package you suggested. I shall
    >> try the snap-os2-3.1.8.exe driver pack to see how it works out.

    > Support and development has stopped on the scitech display drivers and
    > they are in the process of being open sourced. For now you can use
    > Name: Free OS/2 Code
    > Code: 9F98-2AB9-9195-CC
    > to register them. These are really the drivers to use as quite a few
    > programs have been written with them in mind.

    _____
    Dave,

    Yes, this driver package is superb! It installed easily, and
    registration worked fine too. I did have to tinker with the refresh
    rate and colour depth, given that i have a ViewSonic G773 monitor. The
    settings that work with this monitor and my 32 Mb RIVA-TNT2 64 card are
    resolution=1024x768, colours=32,000, refresh rate=85 Hz. Higher colour
    depth fails at 85 Hz. I also run an OpenBSD workstation at the same
    refresh rate using a KVM switch to access the individual machines.

    / John

    --
    Regards / JCH

  8. Re: Nvidia Vanta VGA driver needed

    On 26 Giu, 06:13, Dave Yeo wrote:

    > Support and development has stopped on the scitech display drivers and
    > they are in the process of being open sourced. For now you can use
    > Name: Free OS/2 Code
    > Code: 9F98-2AB9-9195-CC
    > to register them. These are really the drivers to use as quite a few
    > programs have been written with them in mind.

    Just for curiosity, I wonder how much time will this process need. If
    we could lay our hands on OpenSNAP, I think (much) more life might be
    added to eCS.

    Mentore, who's just re-reading all his EDM/2 stuff... (OpenGL, slurp)

  9. Re: Nvidia Vanta VGA driver needed

    On Jun 25, 10:44 pm, jch wrote:
    > Andreas Kohl wrote:
    > > You have 2 options

    > > 1) using the Nvidia driver for OS/2
    > >
    > > I think Fixpak 5 for OS/2 Warp 4 is required for operation.

    > _____
    > I had a quick look at the unzipped directory contents. Installation
    > seems a little cryptic. Perhaps you can illustrate how to install the
    > driver properly for Snydley's benefit? The NVIDIA0S2.ZIP driver package
    > is simple enough to install; /after/ setting the system to regular VGA mode.
    >
    > > 2) using Scitechsoft's SDD or SNAP
    > > The latest version 3.18 is now freely available here:
    > >
    > > But it requires at least Warp 3 with FixPak 35, or Warp 4 with FixPak 5
    > > installed.

    > _____
    > Thanks for the link.
    >
    > I also recently tried a driver from this company
    > (sdd-os2-7.0.4-b35.exe). It let me set the refresh rate correctly to
    > what i wanted (70+ Hz). However, it was for evaluation only, and after
    > the evaluation time was up i had some difficulties getting rid of it and
    > setting video back to VGA mode. I did not have access to the
    > registration code as is the case with the package you suggested. I
    > shall try the snap-os2-3.1.8.exe driver pack to see how it works out.
    > --
    > Regards / JCH

    I downloaded the nvidia0s2.zip file and installed it.It installed ok,
    (I think), at least the installer ran through it's course. When it was
    done and I rebooted, I didn't notice any difference in screen size, so
    I went to OS2 SYSTEM > SYSTEM SETUP > SYSTEM thinking I could change
    the screen resolution to 800x600 or higher, but when I clicked on
    SYSTEM instead of opening up and letting my change the resolution, it
    disappeared and minimized to the try,(I think). Now I'm stuck with a
    video driver and I can't change the resolution. Hmm. How do I "undo"
    this and go back to regular VGA? For that matter, I also have a telnet
    client that I installed that didn't work and I need to uninstall that.
    How do you uninstall a 3rd party program from OS/2?
    Sorry to ask so much of all of you guys, but this is all new to me and
    there's so much I don't know about OS/2. At least now I can read and
    write to the this newsgroup using Firefox on my OS/2 computer, so I'm
    making steps in the right direction. :-)
    Thanks,
    Snyde

  10. Re: Nvidia Vanta VGA driver needed

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:18:06 UTC, Snydley wrote:

    > On Jun 25, 10:44 pm, jch wrote:
    > > Andreas Kohl wrote:
    > > > You have 2 options

    > > > 1) using the Nvidia driver for OS/2
    > > >
    > > > I think Fixpak 5 for OS/2 Warp 4 is required for operation.

    > > _____
    > > I had a quick look at the unzipped directory contents. Installation
    > > seems a little cryptic. Perhaps you can illustrate how to install the
    > > driver properly for Snydley's benefit? The NVIDIA0S2.ZIP driver package
    > > is simple enough to install; /after/ setting the system to regular VGA mode.
    > >
    > > > 2) using Scitechsoft's SDD or SNAP
    > > > The latest version 3.18 is now freely available here:
    > > >
    > > > But it requires at least Warp 3 with FixPak 35, or Warp 4 with FixPak 5
    > > > installed.

    > > _____
    > > Thanks for the link.
    > >
    > > I also recently tried a driver from this company
    > > (sdd-os2-7.0.4-b35.exe). It let me set the refresh rate correctly to
    > > what i wanted (70+ Hz). However, it was for evaluation only, and after
    > > the evaluation time was up i had some difficulties getting rid of it and
    > > setting video back to VGA mode. I did not have access to the
    > > registration code as is the case with the package you suggested. I
    > > shall try the snap-os2-3.1.8.exe driver pack to see how it works out.
    > > --
    > > Regards / JCH

    > I downloaded the nvidia0s2.zip file and installed it.It installed ok,
    > (I think), at least the installer ran through it's course. When it was
    > done and I rebooted, I didn't notice any difference in screen size, so
    > I went to OS2 SYSTEM > SYSTEM SETUP > SYSTEM thinking I could change
    > the screen resolution to 800x600 or higher, but when I clicked on
    > SYSTEM instead of opening up and letting my change the resolution, it
    > disappeared and minimized to the try,(I think). Now I'm stuck with a
    > video driver and I can't change the resolution. Hmm. How do I "undo"
    > this and go back to regular VGA? For that matter, I also have a telnet
    > client that I installed that didn't work and I need to uninstall that.
    > How do you uninstall a 3rd party program from OS/2?
    > Sorry to ask so much of all of you guys, but this is all new to me and
    > there's so much I don't know about OS/2. At least now I can read and
    > write to the this newsgroup using Firefox on my OS/2 computer, so I'm
    > making steps in the right direction. :-)
    > Thanks,
    > Snyde

    For the minimize, can't you just click on the object in the tray to show it
    or is it a double click. It's been so long since I used Warp Center, I
    can't remember. Or, LMB and RMB simultaneously will bring up a window list
    as will Ctrl+Esc. highlite the item and double click or Enter. To undo,
    reboot, and upon seeing the white square in the upper left corner, Alt+F1
    will bring up a Recovery Choice screen. Choose F3 to get back to VGA. A
    lot of programs have uninstall routines located in the directories in which
    they were installed. For others, a simple delete or if config.sys changes
    were made, delete and edit. Most programs have install/uninstall
    instructions in a readme file.
    Use the Snap drivers for video. you won't be sorry.

    PS...you've probably already figured this out and I don't recall anyone
    else mentioning it; the Add Programs in the System Setup folder is not the
    same function as its window$ counterpart. Do not try to add new programs
    with it.

+ Reply to Thread