Adding network and internet to Warp 4 - OS2

This is a discussion on Adding network and internet to Warp 4 - OS2 ; I'm set up Warp 4 on an old Pentium 233Mhz MMX computer. During the install it "found" my NIC card, and loaded the generic Realtek OS/2 driver for it that I have, but I can't figure out how to set ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

  1. Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    I'm set up Warp 4 on an old Pentium 233Mhz MMX computer. During the install
    it "found" my NIC card, and loaded the generic Realtek OS/2 driver for it
    that I have, but I can't figure out how to set it up to get on the Internet.
    Also during the install it "found" my Sounblaster AWE32 PnP and loaded it's
    drivers for it. That never worked right though. I finally got so frustrated
    with it I fdisked the drive and started over. I ended up doing this several
    times. During the last install the sound works,(except for some
    "clicking",(think it's a DMA problem), but it didn't load my NIC card and I
    can't figure out how to add it, LAN capabilities and TCP/IP. I saw on one of
    the earlier installs there was a TCP/IP install program, or configuration
    program, but this time it's missing. I found the area where you can add
    programs and added "ALL" hoping it would show up, but it didn't.
    Can anyone give me a clue as to where to start to add Network and Internet
    capabilities, and how to configure hardware settings,(like Device Mangler)
    in Windows.
    On another note, On this system I have removable hard drives that are on
    "drawers" that I can change and run whatever software I want on it without
    opening the machine and removing the hard drive.
    On one of the hard drives I have Windows 98SE, and when I'm using that hard
    drive on the system the Sounblaster and NIC card works perfectly, I get
    sound with Windows and all of my apps. and can connect to 3 other computers
    on the LAN and also surf the Net, so I know my hardware is ok.
    I appreciate any help you can give, with suggestions, websites etc.
    Thanks,
    Snyde

  2. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    Sir:

    Snydley wrote:
    > I'm set up Warp 4 on an old Pentium 233Mhz MMX computer. During the install
    > it "found" my NIC card, and loaded the generic Realtek OS/2 driver for it
    > that I have, but I can't figure out how to set it up to get on the Internet.

    You should note that there are more than one driver for RealTek NIC.
    I'd suggest get the others and trying them in turn, until you get a good
    setup(check the lantrans.log file in \IBMCOM folder for success). Try
    Hobbes for these other drivers. BTW, use
    to find out
    which Realtek chip driver you need.

    > Also during the install it "found" my Sounblaster AWE32 PnP and loaded it's
    > drivers for it. That never worked right though.

    Alas, the IBM compiled drivers have never worked right.

    I finally got so frustrated
    > with it I fdisked the drive and started over. I ended up doing this several
    > times. During the last install the sound works,(except for some
    > "clicking",(think it's a DMA problem), but it didn't load my NIC card and I
    > can't figure out how to add it, LAN capabilities and TCP/IP. I saw on one of
    > the earlier installs there was a TCP/IP install program, or configuration
    > program, but this time it's missing. I found the area where you can add
    > programs and added "ALL" hoping it would show up, but it didn't.
    > Can anyone give me a clue as to where to start to add Network and Internet
    > capabilities, and how to configure hardware settings,(like Device Mangler)
    > in Windows.
    > On another note, On this system I have removable hard drives that are on
    > "drawers" that I can change and run whatever software I want on it without
    > opening the machine and removing the hard drive.
    > On one of the hard drives I have Windows 98SE, and when I'm using that hard
    > drive on the system the Sounblaster and NIC card works perfectly, I get
    > sound with Windows and all of my apps. and can connect to 3 other computers
    > on the LAN and also surf the Net, so I know my hardware is ok.
    > I appreciate any help you can give, with suggestions, websites etc.
    > Thanks,
    > Snyde

    On Warp 4 CD Rom install disk, enter the install command to install
    Networking applications after you get the right NIC driver. BTW you
    need to get fixpack 15 for the base operating system
    ,
    updated everything. Sad that Rick Oliver sites is gone as he had
    pointers to all that you need to do. This site has drivers if you don't
    find them on Hobbes . Explorer it.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    Hi Bill,
    Sir? I'm not a Knight, but thanks just the same. :-)
    I've resurrected this old Pentium to run all my old apps and games on and I
    found a copy of Warp 4,, new in box, on sale on eBay. I never ran Os/2 when
    it was first released, so I thought I'd try it this time. Hopefully it'll
    run all my software. If not, I'll create another partition on the disk and
    install DOS and maybe Winblows for those programs. :-)
    Thanks for the help, I'm in the dark here, and will probably be calling for
    more help as time goes on with this.
    Take care,
    Snyde

    "William L. Hartzell" wrote in message
    > Sir:
    >
    > Snydley wrote:
    >> I'm set up Warp 4 on an old Pentium 233Mhz MMX computer. During the
    >> install it "found" my NIC card, and loaded the generic Realtek OS/2
    >> driver for it that I have, but I can't figure out how to set it up to get
    >> on the Internet.

    > You should note that there are more than one driver for RealTek NIC. I'd
    > suggest get the others and trying them in turn, until you get a good
    > setup(check the lantrans.log file in \IBMCOM folder for success). Try
    > Hobbes for these other drivers. BTW, use
    > to find out which
    > Realtek chip driver you need.
    >
    >> Also during the install it "found" my Sounblaster AWE32 PnP and loaded
    >> it's drivers for it. That never worked right though.

    > Alas, the IBM compiled drivers have never worked right.
    >

    > I finally got so frustrated
    >> with it I fdisked the drive and started over. I ended up doing this
    >> several times. During the last install the sound works,(except for some
    >> "clicking",(think it's a DMA problem), but it didn't load my NIC card and
    >> I can't figure out how to add it, LAN capabilities and TCP/IP. I saw on
    >> one of the earlier installs there was a TCP/IP install program, or
    >> configuration program, but this time it's missing. I found the area where
    >> you can add programs and added "ALL" hoping it would show up, but it
    >> didn't.
    >> Can anyone give me a clue as to where to start to add Network and
    >> Internet capabilities, and how to configure hardware settings,(like
    >> Device Mangler) in Windows.
    >> On another note, On this system I have removable hard drives that are on
    >> "drawers" that I can change and run whatever software I want on it
    >> without opening the machine and removing the hard drive.
    >> On one of the hard drives I have Windows 98SE, and when I'm using that
    >> hard drive on the system the Sounblaster and NIC card works perfectly, I
    >> get sound with Windows and all of my apps. and can connect to 3 other
    >> computers on the LAN and also surf the Net, so I know my hardware is ok.
    >> I appreciate any help you can give, with suggestions, websites etc.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Snyde

    > On Warp 4 CD Rom install disk, enter the install command to install
    > Networking applications after you get the right NIC driver. BTW you need
    > to get fixpack 15 for the base operating system
    > ,
    > updated everything. Sad that Rick Oliver sites is gone as he had pointers
    > to all that you need to do. This site has drivers if you don't find them
    > on Hobbes . Explorer it.
    > --
    > Bill
    > Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    Snydley wrote:

    > I've resurrected this old Pentium to run all my old apps and games on and I
    > found a copy of Warp 4,, new in box, on sale on eBay. I never ran Os/2 when
    > it was first released, so I thought I'd try it this time. Hopefully it'll
    > run all my software. If not, I'll create another partition on the disk and
    > install DOS and maybe Winblows for those programs. :-)
    > Thanks for the help, I'm in the dark here, and will probably be calling for
    > more help as time goes on with this.

    _____
    A little while ago i reported a problem with a Warp 4 installation on a
    large hard disk (8 Gb). Turns out that even after modifying the
    installation floppies to allow for large disks, one has to make sure
    that the installation partition does not exceed 2 Gb. If it does, the
    installation program fails to install the networking code. After i
    reduced the installable partition to 2 Gb, everything installed perfectly.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  5. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    jch wrote:
    > Snydley wrote:
    >
    >> I've resurrected this old Pentium to run all my old apps and games on
    >> and I found a copy of Warp 4,, new in box, on sale on eBay. I never
    >> ran Os/2 when it was first released, so I thought I'd try it this
    >> time. Hopefully it'll run all my software. If not, I'll create another
    >> partition on the disk and install DOS and maybe Winblows for those
    >> programs. :-)
    >> Thanks for the help, I'm in the dark here, and will probably be
    >> calling for more help as time goes on with this.

    > _____
    > A little while ago i reported a problem with a Warp 4 installation on a
    > large hard disk (8 Gb). Turns out that even after modifying the
    > installation floppies to allow for large disks, one has to make sure
    > that the installation partition does not exceed 2 Gb. If it does, the
    > installation program fails to install the networking code. After i
    > reduced the installable partition to 2 Gb, everything installed perfectly.
    > --
    > Regards / JCH

    Warp 4 will fit easily on 250 MB (yes Megabytes!). Even with Warp
    Server! My "C" drive is only 250 MB and holds only the Operating
    System. All programs are installed on other drives/partitions.

    That way I can back up / Restore only the Operating System and never
    affect any other programs or data.

    --
    Jack Wise

    TEXAS red wine: renowned for its smoky-mesquite-bbq & jalapeno
    overtones, the perfect foil for a meal of tacos and refried beans...

  6. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:37:37 UTC, jch wrote:

    > Snydley wrote:
    >
    > > I've resurrected this old Pentium to run all my old apps and games on and I
    > > found a copy of Warp 4,, new in box, on sale on eBay. I never ran Os/2 when
    > > it was first released, so I thought I'd try it this time. Hopefully it'll
    > > run all my software. If not, I'll create another partition on the disk and
    > > install DOS and maybe Winblows for those programs. :-)
    > > Thanks for the help, I'm in the dark here, and will probably be calling for
    > > more help as time goes on with this.

    > _____
    > A little while ago i reported a problem with a Warp 4 installation on a
    > large hard disk (8 Gb). Turns out that even after modifying the
    > installation floppies to allow for large disks, one has to make sure
    > that the installation partition does not exceed 2 Gb. If it does, the
    > installation program fails to install the networking code. After i
    > reduced the installable partition to 2 Gb, everything installed perfectly.
    > --
    > Regards / JCH

    With v 4.5x, if you're trying to install peer, it's best done along with
    the system installation. If you try to do it afterwards, check your
    config.sys file and temporarily shorten any line which exceeds 254
    characters. Install peer, then "repair" all the lines you had to shorten
    in config.sys. This is a bug, which I believe has been fixed either by
    the time fp15 was releaseed or with ecs.

    HTH,
    Pete

    --

  7. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    Hi Bill,
    Told you I'd probably be back. :-)
    See the text below.

    "William L. Hartzell" wrote in message
    > Sir:
    >
    > Snydley wrote:
    >> I'm set up Warp 4 on an old Pentium 233Mhz MMX computer. During the
    >> install it "found" my NIC card, and loaded the generic Realtek OS/2
    >> driver for it that I have, but I can't figure out how to set it up to get
    >> on the Internet.

    > You should note that there are more than one driver for RealTek NIC. I'd
    > suggest get the others and trying them in turn, until you get a good
    > setup(check the lantrans.log file in \IBMCOM folder for success). Try
    > Hobbes for these other drivers. BTW, use
    > to find out which
    > Realtek chip driver you need.
    >
    >> Also during the install it "found" my Sounblaster AWE32 PnP and loaded
    >> it's drivers for it. That never worked right though.

    > Alas, the IBM compiled drivers have never worked right.
    >

    > I finally got so frustrated
    >> with it I fdisked the drive and started over. I ended up doing this
    >> several times. During the last install the sound works,(except for some
    >> "clicking",(think it's a DMA problem), but it didn't load my NIC card and
    >> I can't figure out how to add it, LAN capabilities and TCP/IP. I saw on
    >> one of the earlier installs there was a TCP/IP install program, or
    >> configuration program, but this time it's missing. I found the area where
    >> you can add programs and added "ALL" hoping it would show up, but it
    >> didn't.
    >> Can anyone give me a clue as to where to start to add Network and
    >> Internet capabilities, and how to configure hardware settings,(like
    >> Device Mangler) in Windows.
    >> On another note, On this system I have removable hard drives that are on
    >> "drawers" that I can change and run whatever software I want on it
    >> without opening the machine and removing the hard drive.
    >> On one of the hard drives I have Windows 98SE, and when I'm using that
    >> hard drive on the system the Sounblaster and NIC card works perfectly, I
    >> get sound with Windows and all of my apps. and can connect to 3 other
    >> computers on the LAN and also surf the Net, so I know my hardware is ok.
    >> I appreciate any help you can give, with suggestions, websites etc.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Snyde

    > On Warp 4 CD Rom install disk, enter the install command to install
    > Networking applications after you get the right NIC driver. BTW you need
    > to get fixpack 15 for the base operating system
    > ,
    > updated everything. Sad that Rick Oliver sites is gone as he had pointers
    > to all that you need to do. This site has drivers if you don't find them
    > on Hobbes . Explorer it.
    > --
    > Bill
    > Thanks a Million!

    I downloaded the files from the links you gave me. The SoundBlaster one
    works great! The sound is wonderful now. I tried one of the other drivers
    from Hobbes that was supposedly for my D-link DFE-530TX+ NIC and when the
    machine restarted after the change I saw a "FATAL No such card in system" or
    something similar. So I edited Config.sys manually from a command prompt
    using "e" and removed the reference to that driver. Is there a way to do
    that with a program in OS/2, something like Device Manager in Windows? I
    then fdisked the drive and reinstalled, because I don't know how to add or
    remove a NIC card and drivers from OS/2. How do you do that? This time when
    I reinstalled, and it prompted me to choose a NIC card I selected "Other"
    and installed the original Realtek driver I told you about. I checked the
    lantran.log file with "e" and this is what it says:

    IBM OS/2 LANMSGDD [08/01/96] 5.05 is loaded and operational.
    IBM OS/2 NETBEUI 5.00.0
    NETBEUI: Using a 32-bit data segment.
    Installing NETWKSTA.200 Version 5.0. IBM LAN Redirector (Aug 15, 1996)

    IBM OS/2 NETBIOS 4.0
    Adapter 0 has 105 NCBs, 154 sessions, and 14 names available to NETBIOS
    applications.
    NETBIOS 4.0 is loaded and operational.

    Vendor=1186,1186 Dev.=1300,1301 Bus/Dev/Func-No= 0/10/0
    EtherID=@00055DD05F50
    The chip is RTL8139C.
    Network Line Speed is 100 Mbps / Full-Duplex Mode.
    Link configuration: Auto Negotiation enabled.
    Flow Control: Transmitisabled, Receiveisabled.
    Parameters: IOBase = 0x7C00
    Interrupt Level = 3
    IBM LANVDD is loaded and operational.
    IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind

    To me it looks like it's working ok, but I've never gotten that "deep" into
    Networks,(Windows always handled that), so I'm not sure. The only
    questionable thing I see is the flow control. Should that be enabled, or is
    this the way it should be?
    I've got everything working, that I can tell, except the Network and
    Internet. I did have 2 errors in Config.sys a "com.sys" and a "vcom.sys"not
    service during the install, but not having a fax-modem, so I manually rem'd
    those 2 lines out in config.sys and those errors went away.
    This computer is connected to 3 other computers on a network and the
    Internet through a Netgear router. When I have the Windows'98SE hard drive
    in the hard drive "drawer" I can connect to any of the 3 computers and swap
    files and use a printer connected to one of them, and surf the Net, so I'm
    sure my hardware's ok.
    I think my whole problem now with the network is I just don't know how to
    set it up. The only experience I've had with networks is with Windows and it
    takes care of all of this for you, pretty much.
    Is there anywhere on the Net where I can find a webpage with step by step
    directions, or some kind of guide or something? This seems to be the last
    problem I have with the setup, and I'd appreciate any help you might give
    me.
    Thanks,
    Snyde

  8. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > In article <4859df6b$0$9835$a726171b@news.hal-pc.org>
    > jwise@hal-pc.org "Jack Wise" writes:
    >

    >>Jack Wise
    >>
    >>TEXAS red wine: renowned for its smoky-mesquite-bbq & jalapeno
    >>overtones, the perfect foil for a meal of tacos and refried beans...

    > I thort them Texicanos didn't hold with reds, nowhow -- exceptin'
    > them as is properly dead.

    By the time it's wine it IS dead. (and pickled)(;>)

    --
    Jack Wise

  9. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    In article <4859df6b$0$9835$a726171b@news.hal-pc.org>
    jwise@hal-pc.org "Jack Wise" writes:

    > Jack Wise
    >
    > TEXAS red wine: renowned for its smoky-mesquite-bbq & jalapeno
    > overtones, the perfect foil for a meal of tacos and refried beans...

    I thort them Texicanos didn't hold with reds, nowhow -- exceptin'
    them as is properly dead.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  10. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    Sir:

    Snydley wrote:
> [...]

    > that with a program in OS/2, something like Device Manager in Windows? I
    > then fdisked the drive and reinstalled, because I don't know how to add or
    > remove a NIC card and drivers from OS/2. How do you do that? This time when
    > I reinstalled, and it prompted me to choose a NIC card I selected "Other"
    > and installed the original Realtek driver I told you about. I checked the
    > lantran.log file with "e" and this is what it says:
    >
    > IBM OS/2 LANMSGDD [08/01/96] 5.05 is loaded and operational.
    > IBM OS/2 NETBEUI 5.00.0
    > NETBEUI: Using a 32-bit data segment.
    > Installing NETWKSTA.200 Version 5.0. IBM LAN Redirector (Aug 15, 1996)
    >
    > IBM OS/2 NETBIOS 4.0
    > Adapter 0 has 105 NCBs, 154 sessions, and 14 names available to NETBIOS
    > applications.
    > NETBIOS 4.0 is loaded and operational.

    > Vendor=1186,1186 Dev.=1300,1301 Bus/Dev/Func-No= 0/10/0

    Bad news: it sounds like you got a blue box RealTek NIC. Those don't
    work. IF you got a black box Realtek NIC, then those would work. We
    never found out what was done to change working chip into defective
    chip. I've checked with Google -> groups and reviewed the history of
    that chip

    if you want to read it.

    > Network Line Speed is 100 Mbps / Full-Duplex Mode.
    > Link configuration: Auto Negotiation enabled.
    > Flow Control: Transmitisabled, Receiveisabled.
    > Parameters: IOBase = 0x7C00
    > Interrupt Level = 3
    > IBM LANVDD is loaded and operational.
    > IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
    >
    > To me it looks like it's working ok, but I've never gotten that "deep" into
    > Networks,(Windows always handled that), so I'm not sure. The only
    > questionable thing I see is the flow control. Should that be enabled, or is
    > this the way it should be?
    > I've got everything working, that I can tell, except the Network and
    > Internet. I did have 2 errors in Config.sys a "com.sys" and a "vcom.sys"not
    > service during the install, but not having a fax-modem, so I manually rem'd
    > those 2 lines out in config.sys and those errors went away.
    > This computer is connected to 3 other computers on a network and the
    > Internet through a Netgear router. When I have the Windows'98SE hard drive
    > in the hard drive "drawer" I can connect to any of the 3 computers and swap
    > files and use a printer connected to one of them, and surf the Net, so I'm
    > sure my hardware's ok.
    > I think my whole problem now with the network is I just don't know how to
    > set it up. The only experience I've had with networks is with Windows and it
    > takes care of all of this for you, pretty much.
    > Is there anywhere on the Net where I can find a webpage with step by step
    > directions, or some kind of guide or something? This seems to be the last
    > problem I have with the setup, and I'd appreciate any help you might give
    > me.
    > Thanks,
    > Snyde

    I'd suggest using Google groups and advance search on these many
    comp.os.os2.* newsgroups for answers that were given in the past. There
    have been several well written expositions on how to setup the
    networking, including a few by myself. BTW, the com.sys error is
    because you assigned the serial port to another device, like you surmised.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  11. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 04:13:31 GMT, Dave Yeo wrote:

    > Go here, http://www.7cities.net/~mckinnis/os2/ and download the NICPAK
    > package, read the documentation and try it. Hopefully your card will
    > work. If not go to a used computer store or goodwill etc and spend a
    > couple of bucks on a card. Just a couple of years ago most cards worked
    > with OS/2.

    Get a 3Com 3C905. These never give any problems. The last ones I bought
    cost 2 each off eBay.

    > For networking with win9x boxes you need to setup netbios over tcpip,
    > not the default netbios.

    You don't "need" to do that. You could always install Netbios on Windoze.
    Netbios is a better protocol for newbies to use because it doesn't require
    any configuration, unlike TCP/IP.

  12. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On 06/20/08 11:01 am, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 04:13:31 GMT, Dave Yeo wrote:

    [...]
    >> For networking with win9x boxes you need to setup netbios over tcpip,
    >> not the default netbios.

    > You don't "need" to do that. You could always install Netbios on Windoze.
    > Netbios is a better protocol for newbies to use because it doesn't require
    > any configuration, unlike TCP/IP.

    Will plain Netbios work through a router?
    Dave

  13. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 04:28:59 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:

    > Will plain Netbios work through a router?

    No, that is why it is much safer to use in home env.
    As it is easier to setup, and faster too, it is a much
    better solution for end users.

    --
    Allan.

    It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
    than to open it, and remove all doubt.

  14. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 04:28:59 GMT, Dave Yeo wrote:

    >>> For networking with win9x boxes you need to setup netbios over tcpip,
    >>> not the default netbios.

    >> You don't "need" to do that. You could always install Netbios on Windoze.
    >> Netbios is a better protocol for newbies to use because it doesn't require
    >> any configuration, unlike TCP/IP.

    > Will plain Netbios work through a router?

    No of course it won't because Netbios is not a routable protocol. I suspect
    however you don't actually want to route it anywhere in the majority of cases.
    The term router is much misused, especially in home networks. You probably
    mean "switch" or "hub" where you mis-used "router".
    One of the benefits of Netbios is that you can't route it and inadvertently
    expose yourself to security risks.

  15. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:37:37 UTC, jch wrote:

    > A little while ago i reported a problem with a Warp 4 installation on a
    > large hard disk (8 Gb). Turns out that even after modifying the
    > installation floppies to allow for large disks, one has to make sure
    > that the installation partition does not exceed 2 Gb. If it does, the
    > installation program fails to install the networking code. After i
    > reduced the installable partition to 2 Gb, everything installed perfectly.

    I think adding
    SET CONNECT_DASD=OFF
    to CONFIG.SYS on Disk 1 is supposed to get around that problem...

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  16. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 10:46:23 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 04:28:59 GMT, Dave Yeo wrote:

    > > ... Will plain Netbios work through a router?

    > No of course it won't because Netbios is not a routable protocol. I suspect
    > however you don't actually want to route it anywhere in the majority of cases.
    > The term router is much misused, especially in home networks. You probably
    > mean "switch" or "hub" where you mis-used "router".
    > One of the benefits of Netbios is that you can't route it and inadvertently
    > expose yourself to security risks.

    The terminology here is confusing, at least to me. For example, I have
    a Linksys WRT54G, which Linksys calls a "router". In the past I used
    Netbios (I now use Netbios over TCP/IP) to share files between two
    computers on my LAN. Is Linksys misusing the term "router"? Would you
    call this device a "switch" or "hub"?

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Change "NOSPAM@" to "systematics@" in my e-mail address)

  17. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:40:30 UTC, "Snydley"
    wrote:

    > something similar. So I edited Config.sys manually from a command prompt
    > using "e" and removed the reference to that driver. Is there a way to do
    > that with a program in OS/2, something like Device Manager in Windows? I
    > then fdisked the drive and reinstalled, because I don't know how to add or
    > remove a NIC card and drivers from OS/2. How do you do that?

    Different types of driver have their own install utilities. The one for
    networking drivers is "Network Adapters and Protocol Services" (MPTS.EXE).
    Should be an icon under System Setup.

    > This time when I reinstalled, and it prompted me to choose a NIC card I
    > selected "Other" and installed the original Realtek driver I told you
    > about. I checked the lantran.log file with "e" and this is what it says:
    > Vendor=1186,1186 Dev.=1300,1301 Bus/Dev/Func-No= 0/10/0
    > EtherID=@00055DD05F50
    > The chip is RTL8139C.
    > Network Line Speed is 100 Mbps / Full-Duplex Mode.
    > Link configuration: Auto Negotiation enabled.
    > Flow Control: Transmitisabled, Receiveisabled.
    > Parameters: IOBase = 0x7C00
    > Interrupt Level = 3
    > IBM LANVDD is loaded and operational.
    > IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
    >
    > To me it looks like it's working ok, but I've never gotten that "deep"
    > into Networks,(Windows always handled that), so I'm not sure. The only
    > questionable thing I see is the flow control. Should that be enabled, or
    > is this the way it should be?

    Depends on the driver. You're right, the messages do indeed imply that the
    driver is correct and the card is working.

    You may just need to configure TCP/IP correctly. There were some kinks in
    Warp 4 as it was originally released, hopefully you can get them sorted.
    See below...

    > I've got everything working, that I can tell, except the Network and
    > Internet. I did have 2 errors in Config.sys a "com.sys" and a
    > "vcom.sys"not loading . I was wondering if maybe that was caused by me
    > selecting Fax service during the install, but not having a fax-modem, so I
    > manually rem'd those 2 lines out in config.sys and those errors went away.

    Those are the serial port drivers. Does the machine have serial ports? If
    not, then this message would be expected.

    If it does, then this may be caused by the sound driver. ISTR that the
    AWE driver could cause the COM drivers to barf on bootup if you didn't
    manually add a magic parameter (/G, I think) to the driver in CONFIG.SYS.
    (I know that was true for the AWE64 - I had one - but I'm not sure about the
    AWE32, which I think you said you have...)

    > I think my whole problem now with the network is I just don't know how to
    > set it up. The only experience I've had with networks is with Windows and
    > it takes care of all of this for you, pretty much.

    Yeah, OS/2 can take a bit of fiddling, especially on older (pre-4.5)
    versions.

    Basically, for working Internet, you need to make sure that:
    1. The NIC driver is installed. You seem to have this.
    2. The networking protocol (i.e. TCP/IP) is installed and "bound" to the
    NIC. You probably did this during install, but post the contents of
    \IBMCOM\PROTOCOL.INI and we'll take a look.
    3. Configure TCP/IP. DHCP in Warp 4 out of the box was a bit flaky, so I
    suggest trying to get it working with static IP first. We can always
    change that later once you know it works.

    For static IP, you need to configure:
    - IP address (if you have the default Netgear configuration, probably
    192.168.0.something would be correct - I suggest you see what the
    computer uses when booted to Win98, and enter that one).
    - Subnet mask (almost certainly 255.255.255.0; again, copy from Windows).
    - Default route (what Windows calls "gateway") - whatever the LAN-side IP
    address of the Netgear router is.
    - DNS server, whatever your Windows system uses (probably also the Netgear
    IP address).

    Let us know if you need any help getting that configured. You can use the
    TCP/IP Configuration program, even though it's a bit ugly.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  18. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 03:46:00 UTC, "Snydley"
    wrote:

    > At this point it's kind of pointless for me to try to configure my network
    > if I don't know if I have a NIC that will work with Warp4 or not. I've got
    > to figure that out 1st, and if this won't work with Warp, I'll have to get
    > one that will, or forgo the network altogether and just use the machine to
    > run my old software on and use Windows when I want to Network.

    I disagree. The only way to find out if it works is to configure the
    network and see if you get somewhere.

    Personally, given that the driver loads successfully, I suspect that your
    NIC is working OK. You just need to configure it.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  19. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:04:48 GMT, Fred Blau wrote:

    >> > ... Will plain Netbios work through a router?

    >> No of course it won't because Netbios is not a routable protocol. I suspect
    >> however you don't actually want to route it anywhere in the majority of cases.
    >> The term router is much misused, especially in home networks. You probably
    >> mean "switch" or "hub" where you mis-used "router".
    >> One of the benefits of Netbios is that you can't route it and inadvertently
    >> expose yourself to security risks.

    > The terminology here is confusing, at least to me. For example, I have
    > a Linksys WRT54G, which Linksys calls a "router". In the past I used
    > Netbios (I now use Netbios over TCP/IP) to share files between two
    > computers on my LAN. Is Linksys misusing the term "router"? Would you
    > call this device a "switch" or "hub"?

    This device (as are all its peers) is a hybrid router-switch. This is where
    the problem in the naming occurs. Anything on the LAN side goes into the
    switch. The router has two ports - one which goes to the switch and the other
    which goes to the WAN side.
    As a switch is a layer 2 device, it will pass Netbios traffic (and indeed any
    sort of Ethernet traffic you care to dream up) between the ports. A router is
    a layer 3 device and will not pass Netbios traffic from the LAN side to the
    WAN side. A router will only pass IP traffic.

  20. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On 21 Jun 2008 07:13:01 -0500, Alex Taylor wrote:

    > Personally, given that the driver loads successfully, I suspect that your
    > NIC is working OK.

    Probably, but it's not guaranteed. I have had NICs die on me. They would
    transmit OK (as confirmed by IPTRACE receiving incoming traffic on another
    system) but would not receive anything (when being Pinged from elsewhere
    and running a local IPTRACE).
    One of them just stopped working spontaneously one morning when I was
    nowhere near the machine. That had me going over all the config for a while,
    wondering what had changed when nothing had, until I went back to basics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast