Adding network and internet to Warp 4 - OS2

This is a discussion on Adding network and internet to Warp 4 - OS2 ; On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:06:59 -0700 (PDT), Snydley wrote: > Geez, this is starting to get ridiculous. Apparently, my OS/2 system > isn't seeing long filenames either, or is it the 16 bit Winzip ver. > 6.3 that is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 60 of 60

  1. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:06:59 -0700 (PDT), Snydley wrote:

    > Geez, this is starting to get ridiculous. Apparently, my OS/2 system
    > isn't seeing long filenames either, or is it the 16 bit Winzip ver.
    > 6.3 that is in the Programs > Utilities folder that I'm trying to use
    > to unzip it? It sees firefox-3.0.en-US.os2.zip as firefox_.zip. Do you
    > know what I have wrong now? Do I have to use a different unzip
    > program, or enable long filenames in Warp or something?

    For goodness sake, ditch DOS and Windows crap and use native OS/2 utilities.
    DOS and 16 bit Windows do NOT support long filenames.

  2. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:06:59 UTC, Snydley wrote:

    > Geez, this is starting to get ridiculous. Apparently, my OS/2 system
    > isn't seeing long filenames either, or is it the 16 bit Winzip ver.
    > 6.3 that is in the Programs > Utilities folder that I'm trying to use
    > to unzip it? It sees firefox-3.0.en-US.os2.zip as firefox_.zip. Do you
    > know what I have wrong now? Do I have to use a different unzip
    > program, or enable long filenames in Warp or something?
    > Thanks for your patience, and help,
    > Snyde

    Did you install OS/2 on a Fat formated drive or HPFS?

  3. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet toWarp 4

    On Jun 24, 6:33*pm, "Eye Pikm" wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:06:59 UTC, Snydley wrote:
    >

    > > Geez, this is starting to get ridiculous. Apparently, my OS/2 system
    > > isn't seeing long filenames either, or is it the 16 bit Winzip ver.
    > > 6.3 that is in the Programs > Utilities folder that I'm trying to use
    > > to unzip it? It sees firefox-3.0.en-US.os2.zip as firefox_.zip. Do you
    > > know what I have wrong now? Do I have to use a different unzip
    > > program, or enable long filenames in Warp or something?
    > > Thanks for your patience, and help,
    > > Snyde

    > Did you install OS/2 on a Fat formated drive or HPFS?

    I've got a 1.5G drive partitioned as C ,DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11
    490Mb, and D as an extended partition and logical drive in HPFS 527Mb.
    I also have E as another logical drive 527Mb. I have no long
    filenames on this systems. I don't get it. Maybe that's my whole
    problem with Firefox. I wonder if I shouldn't just repartition things
    all over again, and just install OS/2 on this drive alone.
    Thanks,
    Snyde

  4. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet toWarp 4

    On Jun 24, 5:21*pm, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:06:59 -0700 (PDT), Snydley wrote:
    > > Geez, this is starting to get ridiculous. Apparently, my OS/2 system
    > > isn't seeing long filenames either, or is it the 16 bit Winzip ver.
    > > 6.3 that is in the Programs > Utilities folder that I'm trying to use
    > > to unzip it? It sees firefox-3.0.en-US.os2.zip as firefox_.zip. Do you
    > > know what I have wrong now? Do I have to use a different unzip
    > > program, or enable long filenames in Warp or something?

    > For goodness sake, ditch DOS and Windows crap and use native OS/2 utilities.
    > DOS and 16 bit Windows do NOT support long filenames.

    I understand that, but overlooked it. It's been so long since I used
    DOS and Win 3.11 that I didn't even think about it.
    I never ran OS/2 before, so I don't know what to use. When I want to
    copy things from my CD to my D: drive I've been using XCOPY *.* D:
    \FIREFOX /S ,as an example, to copy everything including
    subdirectories from my CD to my hard drive. I don't know what to use
    to do that in OS/2.
    Thanks for the help,
    Snyde

  5. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internetto Warp 4

    On 06/24/08 04:20 pm, Snydley wrote:
    > On Jun 24, 5:21 pm, Paul Ratcliffe
    > wrote:
    >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:06:59 -0700 (PDT), Snydley wrote:
    >>> Geez, this is starting to get ridiculous. Apparently, my OS/2 system
    >>> isn't seeing long filenames either, or is it the 16 bit Winzip ver.
    >>> 6.3 that is in the Programs> Utilities folder that I'm trying to use
    >>> to unzip it? It sees firefox-3.0.en-US.os2.zip as firefox_.zip. Do you
    >>> know what I have wrong now? Do I have to use a different unzip
    >>> program, or enable long filenames in Warp or something?

    >> For goodness sake, ditch DOS and Windows crap and use native OS/2 utilities.
    >> DOS and 16 bit Windows do NOT support long filenames.

    > I understand that, but overlooked it. It's been so long since I used
    > DOS and Win 3.11 that I didn't even think about it.
    > I never ran OS/2 before, so I don't know what to use. When I want to
    > copy things from my CD to my D: drive I've been using XCOPY *.* D:
    > \FIREFOX /S ,as an example, to copy everything including
    > subdirectories from my CD to my hard drive. I don't know what to use
    > to do that in OS/2.
    > Thanks for the help,
    > Snyde

    xcopy * d: \Firefox /s at an OS/2 command prompt will work fine. OS/2
    was meant to replace DOS and most of the commands are close to the same.
    Using * instead of *.* will include files without an extension like
    readme. HPFS preserves case but ignores it so FIREFOX, Firefox and
    firefox are equivaliant. Help xcopy at a command prompt will bring up
    the help.
    For an unzip utility the simplest is unzip.exe which IIRC a version is
    installed in the main install, or else look at Hobbes. There are a few
    unzip utilities available which I don't use but I'm sure others can make
    recomendations.
    Dave

  6. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internetto Warp 4

    On 06/24/08 04:15 pm, Snydley wrote:
    > On Jun 24, 6:33 pm, "Eye Pikm" wrote:
    >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:06:59 UTC, Snydley wrote:
    >>

    >>> Geez, this is starting to get ridiculous. Apparently, my OS/2 system
    >>> isn't seeing long filenames either, or is it the 16 bit Winzip ver.
    >>> 6.3 that is in the Programs> Utilities folder that I'm trying to use
    >>> to unzip it? It sees firefox-3.0.en-US.os2.zip as firefox_.zip. Do you
    >>> know what I have wrong now? Do I have to use a different unzip
    >>> program, or enable long filenames in Warp or something?
    >>> Thanks for your patience, and help,
    >>> Snyde

    >> Did you install OS/2 on a Fat formated drive or HPFS?

    > I've got a 1.5G drive partitioned as C ,DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11
    > 490Mb, and D as an extended partition and logical drive in HPFS 527Mb.
    > I also have E as another logical drive 527Mb. I have no long
    > filenames on this systems. I don't get it. Maybe that's my whole
    > problem with Firefox. I wonder if I shouldn't just repartition things
    > all over again, and just install OS/2 on this drive alone.
    > Thanks,
    > Snyde

    HPFS supports long file names. Thing is if you look from DOS you will
    only see filenames that are 8.3. OS/2 had no short log=ng file names
    like Win9x did. Also the basic system uses 8.3 filenames so it can be
    installed on FAT.
    Try going to an OS/2 command prompt and do
    echo > "this is a long file name" then do a dir (on a HPFS partition)
    An OS/2 command prompt is very similar to a DOS command prompt and
    supports much the same commands and syntax
    Dave

  7. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet toWarp 4

    On Jun 24, 7:58*pm, Dave Yeo wrote:
    > On 06/24/08 04:15 pm, Snydley wrote:

    > >> Did you install OS/2 on a Fat formated drive or HPFS?

    > > I've got a 1.5G drive partitioned as C ,DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11
    > > 490Mb, and D as an extended partition and logical drive in HPFS 527Mb.
    > > I also have E as another logical drive 527Mb. *I have no long
    > > filenames on this systems. I don't get it. Maybe that's my whole
    > > problem with Firefox. I wonder if I shouldn't just repartition things
    > > all over again, and just install OS/2 on this drive alone.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Snyde

    > HPFS supports long file names. Thing is if you look from DOS you will
    > only see filenames that are 8.3. OS/2 had no short log=ng file names
    > like Win9x did. Also the basic system uses 8.3 filenames so it can be
    > installed on FAT.
    > Try going to an OS/2 command prompt and do
    > echo > "this is a long file name" then do a dir (on a HPFS partition)
    > An OS/2 command prompt is very similar to a DOS command prompt and
    > supports much the same commands and syntax
    > Dave- Hide quoted text -

    When I do that an do a "dir" in an OS/2 window on my D: (OS2) drive it
    shows "this is a long filename", (without quotes), listed along with
    the other files in the root directory of D: Somewhere I'm loosing the
    long filenames. This is how I'm doing things:
    My main computer has Win XP on it. I've downloaded Firefox and
    Seamonkey from Warpzilla on it and burned them to CD using Nero 6
    Ultra Edition. When it's done burning, and I "look" at the CD with
    Windows Explorer and I see long filenames. Then I carry the disk
    across the room and put it in the CD burner in my OS/2 computer, a
    233MMX Pentium, 128M Ram, NEC 3550A DVD-RW burner. When I look at it
    from an OS/2 window, I see no long filenames. The file
    firefox-2.0.0.14.en-US.os2.zip shows up as firefox_.zip. To make sure
    it wasn't Nero, I just erased the CD, and copied the files to the disk
    using Windows explorer. One thing here though, I got a warning from
    Windows saying "The file "seamonkey-1.1.9.en-US.os2.installer.exe" has
    extra information attached to it that might be lost if you continue
    copying.The contents of the file will not be affected. Do you want to
    copy the file anyway? Y/S/C" I select Yes but as before, when I look
    at my CD in Windows explorer I have long filenames, when I put it in
    the OS/2 machine I don't. Firefox ver. 2 shows up as Firefox~1.zip,
    Firefox ver 3 shows up as Firefox_.zip. I don't think I have long
    filenames enabled in the OS/2 machine for some reason. I did the
    Advanced install when I installed it, and I don't remember there being
    a choice whether or not I wanted long filenames. One thing though,
    even though I formatted it in HPFS when asked, DOS and Win3.11 were on
    the hard drive on the C: partition when I installed Warp. Could Warp
    "see" that Dos was on there already and automagically turn off long
    filenames because of it? I'm confused. I think I'll repartition again
    with just OS/2 on the disk and see what happens.
    Thanks,
    Snyde

  8. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 23:47:33 UTC, Dave Yeo
    wrote:

    > On 06/24/08 04:20 pm, Snydley wrote:
    > >
    > > I understand that, but overlooked it. It's been so long since I used
    > > DOS and Win 3.11 that I didn't even think about it.
    > > I never ran OS/2 before, so I don't know what to use. When I want to
    > > copy things from my CD to my D: drive I've been using XCOPY *.* D:
    > > \FIREFOX /S ,as an example, to copy everything including
    > > subdirectories from my CD to my hard drive. I don't know what to use
    > > to do that in OS/2.
    > > Thanks for the help,
    > > Snyde

    > xcopy * d: \Firefox /s at an OS/2 command prompt will work fine. OS/2
    > was meant to replace DOS and most of the commands are close to the same.
    > Using * instead of *.* will include files without an extension like
    > readme. HPFS preserves case but ignores it so FIREFOX, Firefox and
    > firefox are equivaliant. Help xcopy at a command prompt will bring up
    > the help.
    > For an unzip utility the simplest is unzip.exe which IIRC a version is
    > installed in the main install, or else look at Hobbes. There are a few
    > unzip utilities available which I don't use but I'm sure others can make
    > recomendations.
    > Dave

    Hobbes is your friend. Also, on the original OS/2 distribution,
    there's PKUNZIP2.EXE somewhere on path. pkunzip2 -d something.zip
    should (note I wrote "should") do the job, but take my advice: it's
    best to use the latest Info-zip Unzip.exe.

    Mentore

  9. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 03:36:07 UTC, "Mentore Siesto"
    wrote:

    > > For an unzip utility the simplest is unzip.exe which IIRC a version is
    > > installed in the main install, or else look at Hobbes. There are a few
    > > unzip utilities available which I don't use but I'm sure others can make
    > > recomendations.
    > > Dave

    > Hobbes is your friend. Also, on the original OS/2 distribution,
    > there's PKUNZIP2.EXE somewhere on path. pkunzip2 -d something.zip
    > should (note I wrote "should") do the job, but take my advice: it's
    > best to use the latest Info-zip Unzip.exe.

    Don't even try to use the pkunzip2 included with Warp 4, it's years ancient
    and doesn't even support extended attributes. It'll blow up if you try to
    unzip almost any OS/2-created zip file.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  10. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 01:56:41 UTC, Snydley wrote:

    > My main computer has Win XP on it. I've downloaded Firefox and
    > Seamonkey from Warpzilla on it and burned them to CD using Nero 6
    > Ultra Edition. When it's done burning, and I "look" at the CD with
    > Windows Explorer and I see long filenames. Then I carry the disk
    > across the room and put it in the CD burner in my OS/2 computer, a
    > 233MMX Pentium, 128M Ram, NEC 3550A DVD-RW burner. When I look at it
    > from an OS/2 window, I see no long filenames. The file
    > firefox-2.0.0.14.en-US.os2.zip shows up as firefox_.zip. To make sure
    > it wasn't Nero, I just erased the CD, and copied the files to the disk
    > using Windows explorer. One thing here though, I got a warning from
    > Windows saying "The file "seamonkey-1.1.9.en-US.os2.installer.exe" has
    > extra information attached to it that might be lost if you continue
    > copying.The contents of the file will not be affected. Do you want to
    > copy the file anyway? Y/S/C" I select Yes but as before, when I look
    > at my CD in Windows explorer I have long filenames, when I put it in
    > the OS/2 machine I don't. Firefox ver. 2 shows up as Firefox~1.zip,
    > Firefox ver 3 shows up as Firefox_.zip. I don't think I have long
    > filenames enabled in the OS/2 machine for some reason. I did the
    > Advanced install when I installed it, and I don't remember there being
    > a choice whether or not I wanted long filenames. One thing though,
    > even though I formatted it in HPFS when asked, DOS and Win3.11 were on
    > the hard drive on the C: partition when I installed Warp. Could Warp
    > "see" that Dos was on there already and automagically turn off long
    > filenames because of it? I'm confused. I think I'll repartition again
    > with just OS/2 on the disk and see what happens.

    No, no. Stop.

    You're confusing too many different issues here.

    First. You can't run Firefox on your system if you haven't installed the
    latest Warp 4 FixPak yet. Did you do that? Did you see my reply to you
    a couple of days ago on that subject? (Given your questions about
    unzipping, I assume you didn't.)

    If it's disappeared from your newsreader, here it is from Google:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....041e273a50f545

    Second. Download UNZIP from Hobbes. I included instructions in the
    aforementioned message. That will let you unzip Firefox.

    Third. You are using HPFS, therefore you have long filename support. No
    worries there. The reason you can't see long filenames on the CD has
    nothing to do with that. Rather, it's because Warp 4, as installed out of
    the box, doesn't support the latest CD-ROM filesystem extensions (Joliet-3)
    that Windows uses to create long filenames on CD. You won't see the long
    filenames until you install the latest FixPak -and- the latest device
    drivers. However, since Firefox is zipped up, you don't need to.
    Everything should be just fine inside the zipfile (and it doesn't matter at
    all what the zipfile itself is called.) Just unzip it to your hard disk
    and you should be set... PROVIDED you've done all the above.

    To summarize:
    1. Install UNZIP. (Depending on the version, this may also require you to
    install the EMX runtime as well, also described in my earlier post.)
    2. Install FixPak 15 (and Device Driver Fixpak 2).
    3. Install the latest LIBC 5 runtime required by Firefox.
    4. Unzip Firefox to the hard disk and try running it.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  11. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet toWarp 4

    On 25 Giu, 15:33, "Alex Taylor" wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 03:36:07 UTC, "Mentore Siesto"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > > For an unzip utility the simplest is unzip.exe which IIRC a version is
    > > > installed in the main install, or else look at Hobbes. There are a few
    > > > unzip utilities available which I don't use but I'm sure others can make
    > > > recomendations.
    > > > Dave

    > > Hobbes is your friend. Also, on the original OS/2 distribution,
    > > there's PKUNZIP2.EXE somewhere on path. pkunzip2 -d something.zip
    > > should (note I wrote "should") do the job, but take my advice: it's
    > > best to use the latest Info-zip Unzip.exe.

    > Don't even try to use the pkunzip2 included with Warp 4, it's years ancient
    > and doesn't even support extended attributes. *It'll blow up if you tryto
    > unzip almost any OS/2-created zip file.

    *gasp* Sorry Alex, you're right and I was utterly wrong. Actually I
    don't use pkunzip2 since years, and ISTR I experienced some problems
    with it.

    Sorry anyone! :-(

    Mentore

  12. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet toWarp 4

    Hi Alex,

    On Jun 25, 9:45*am, "Alex Taylor" wrote:
> [...]

    > filenames until you install the latest FixPak -and- the latest device
    > drivers. *However, since Firefox is zipped up, you don't need to. *
    > Everything should be just fine inside the zipfile (and it doesn't matter at
    > all what the zipfile itself is called.) *Just unzip it to your hard disk
    > and you should be set... PROVIDED you've done all the above.
    >
    > To summarize:
    > *1. Install UNZIP. *(Depending on the version, this may also require you to
    > * * install the EMX runtime as well, also described in my earlier post.)
    > *2. Install FixPak 15 (and Device Driver Fixpak 2).
    > *3. Install the latest LIBC 5 runtime required by Firefox.
    > *4. Unzip Firefox to the hard disk and try running it.
    >
    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > Fukushima, Japanhttp://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00
    >
    > Please take off hat when replying.- Hide quoted text -

    First off, THANKS SO MUCH for all the help you've given me, the system
    is getting there, one step at a time it seems.
    I unstalled Info-Zip's unzip and zip into a directory I created called
    ZIP and added C:\ZIP to the PATH and LIBPATH line in config.sys using
    "e" from an OS/2 prompt, then rebooted.
    I've already installed fixpack 15, I didn't know about device driver
    fixpack 2.
    I downloaded device driver fixpack 2, burned it to CD and ran it from
    the CD drive on my OS/2 machine. The Corrective Service Facility said
    "There are no products on the target system to fix". So I xcopied
    everything to C:\FIX and ran install.cmd again from the hard drive.
    Same results. I previously ran the fixpack 15 is it included with that
    maybe?
    I installed the per the instructions on the Warpzilla site, "This
    release requires the C runtime DLLs (libc-0.6.3) from
    ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/gcc/libc-0.6.3-csd3.zip"
    I unzipped them to C:\Firefox,(I got rid of DOS, and put OS/2 on this
    HDD by itself).
    I'm going to re-install Firefox and the DLLs and then I'll let you
    know how it goes.
    Again thanks for all the help.
    Oh, you were saying, "I'm confusing too many things". You are SO
    right. This is my first time with OS/2 and I started my computer life
    on DOS 3 and later Windows 3.1 so I'm not computer illiterate, but OS/
    2 is making me feel like I am. :-)
    Take care,
    Snyde

  13. FIREFOX WORKS!!! was Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Addingnetwork and internet to Warp 4

> [...]

    > filenames until you install the latest FixPak -and- the latest device
    > drivers. *However, since Firefox is zipped up, you don't need to. *
    > Everything should be just fine inside the zipfile (and it doesn't matter at
    > all what the zipfile itself is called.) *Just unzip it to your hard disk
    > and you should be set... PROVIDED you've done all the above.
    >
    > To summarize:
    > *1. Install UNZIP. *(Depending on the version, this may also require you to
    > * * install the EMX runtime as well, also described in my earlier post.)
    > *2. Install FixPak 15 (and Device Driver Fixpak 2).
    > *3. Install the latest LIBC 5 runtime required by Firefox.
    > *4. Unzip Firefox to the hard disk and try running it.
    >
    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > Fukushima, Japanhttp://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00
    >
    > Please take off hat when replying.- Hide quoted text -

    I went back through and did everything you said, come to find out I
    had done everything already except get Unzip from Hobbes. I've got
    that now. It turns out my problem was not having libc-0.5.1.exe
    installed. In the readme file on the Warpzilla site it mentions
    installing libc-0.6.3-csd3.zip, which I had already done, but no
    mention of libc-0.5.1.exe. It wasn't until I unzipped everything this
    afternoon, installed lib-0.6.3, and tried to run Firefox that Firefox
    informed me that it couldn't find lib-0.5.1 and refused to load.
    Whether or not the author of the readme assumed the reader would know
    that the 0.5. library needed to be installed on the system, or they
    forgot to mention it in the readme I don't know, but it's working now!
    Thanks so much. It's very slow though, slow to come on screen. I think
    that's do to the hardware on this machine, a P55C Pentium 233Mhz MMX
    with 128M ram. I can live with it though. Any serious surfing I need
    to do will be on my 1.93Ghz Dual - Core 2Gb Ram machine.
    Now I only have 2 things left thst aren't working, long filenames from
    the CD drive,(not a biggie), and my Network connection. I can get out
    on the Net, but I can't connect to any of the other computers
    connected to the router. Any hints or advice you can give me here?
    Even if it was connecting, I don't know what program to use to view
    the files on the other computers.
    Thanks again for your help,
    Snyde

  14. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:20:34 UTC, Mentore wrote:

    > > > there's PKUNZIP2.EXE somewhere on path. pkunzip2 -d something.zip

    > > Don't even try to use the pkunzip2 included with Warp 4, it's years
    > > ancient and doesn't even support extended attributes. *It'll blow up if
    > > you try to unzip almost any OS/2-created zip file.

    > *gasp* Sorry Alex, you're right and I was utterly wrong. Actually I
    > don't use pkunzip2 since years, and ISTR I experienced some problems
    > with it.

    The above said, it is possible to get a modern PKUNZIP2 and PKZIP2 for
    OS/2, if you have WSeB, *CP or eCS by doing the following:

    1. Download pkos2250.exe (from Hobbes or PKWare or somewhere else) and
    unzip.
    2. Dig out your WSeB, MCP/ACP or eCS 1.1/1.2/2.0 CD and find the
    directory \OS2IMAGE\FI\FONTS.
    3. Copy PKZIP.EXE off this directory on the CD, replacing the one that
    came with the archive in step 1.
    4. Install PKZIP.EXE, PKUNZIP2.CMD and PKZIP2.CMD to your path. You now
    have a fully licensed copy of PKZIP 2.50 installed!

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  15. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:06:42 UTC, Snydley wrote:

    > > To summarize:
    > > *1. Install UNZIP. *(Depending on the version, this may also require you
    > > to install the EMX runtime as well, also described in my earlier
    > > post.)
    > > *2. Install FixPak 15 (and Device Driver Fixpak 2).
    > > *3. Install the latest LIBC 5 runtime required by Firefox.
    > > *4. Unzip Firefox to the hard disk and try running it.

    > First off, THANKS SO MUCH for all the help you've given me, the system
    > is getting there, one step at a time it seems.
    > I unstalled Info-Zip's unzip and zip into a directory I created called
    > ZIP and added C:\ZIP to the PATH and LIBPATH line in config.sys using
    > "e" from an OS/2 prompt, then rebooted.

    You don't need to put the ZIP directory in the LIBPATH, but it won't really
    hurt. (OTOH, it's a good idea to avoid overloading the LIBPATH - and the
    PATH too, for that matter - because there are various problems associated
    with letting them get overly long.)

    I don't recommend using 'e' to edit CONFIG.SYS in general, because it tends
    to append an EOF character to the end of the file. Normally this isn't a
    problem, but it's possible to get into a situation where it might be.

    I recommend you look for 'AE' on Hobbes, which is a more or less seamless
    replacement for 'e' which is fair bit nicer to use.

    (OS/2 also comes with an editor called EPM (Enhanced Editor), which is
    decent if you reconfigure it heavily, but it has a pretty unpleasant default
    configuration which makes it awkward to use. Also, reconfiguring EPM to any
    significant extent is something of a black art, so I don't really recommend
    trying to use it until you're more at leisure to play around with stuff like
    that.)

    > I've already installed fixpack 15, I didn't know about device driver
    > fixpack 2.
    > I downloaded device driver fixpack 2, burned it to CD and ran it from
    > the CD drive on my OS/2 machine. The Corrective Service Facility said
    > "There are no products on the target system to fix". So I xcopied
    > everything to C:\FIX and ran install.cmd again from the hard drive.
    > Same results. I previously ran the fixpack 15 is it included with that
    > maybe?

    No, it isn't. This is a strange message... the only thing I can think of
    offhand is that the prerequisite SYSLEVEL isn't getting created before the
    install runs. I thought the FixTool was supposed to run it automatically,
    but maybe it depends on which front-end you use - anyway, try running the
    batch file FIXTPREP.CMD (I think it's called) before starting the FixPak
    installation.

    > Oh, you were saying, "I'm confusing too many things". You are SO
    > right. This is my first time with OS/2 and I started my computer life
    > on DOS 3 and later Windows 3.1 so I'm not computer illiterate, but OS/
    > 2 is making me feel like I am. :-)

    No problem. It's actually kind of nice to see a newcomer willing to dive
    into OS/2, with all its assorted learning curves.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  16. Re: FIREFOX WORKS!!! was Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:55:29 UTC, Snydley wrote:
    > I went back through and did everything you said, come to find out I
    > had done everything already except get Unzip from Hobbes. I've got
    > that now. It turns out my problem was not having libc-0.5.1.exe
    > installed. In the readme file on the Warpzilla site it mentions
    > installing libc-0.6.3-csd3.zip, which I had already done, but no
    > mention of libc-0.5.1.exe. It wasn't until I unzipped everything this
    > afternoon, installed lib-0.6.3, and tried to run Firefox that Firefox
    > informed me that it couldn't find lib-0.5.1 and refused to load.
    > Whether or not the author of the readme assumed the reader would know
    > that the 0.5. library needed to be installed on the system, or they
    > forgot to mention it in the readme I don't know, but it's working now!

    I could've sworn that the website and the readme both list that as a
    requirement. But they've just been redoing the website recently, so maybe
    it got lost somewhere along the way...

    > Now I only have 2 things left thst aren't working, long filenames from
    > the CD drive,(not a biggie), and my Network connection. I can get out
    > on the Net, but I can't connect to any of the other computers
    > connected to the router. Any hints or advice you can give me here?
    > Even if it was connecting, I don't know what program to use to view
    > the files on the other computers.

    Ahaha. Yes, the local network sharing stuff can be a bit cryptic. Partly
    this is a weakness in OS/2's design (IBM kind of tends to assume that if
    you're using it, you're probably a LAN administrator in a large corporation
    who already has most of the attendant knowledge), and partly because new
    releases of Windows love to make proprietary modifications to how things
    work.

    First, you need to make sure the correct network protocols are installed on
    all sides. By default, Windows (up to XP, anyway) uses NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    a.k.a. TCPBEUI. So you should install that protocol under OS/2 as well.
    Depending on the settings you chose for networking during OS/2 installation,
    then TCPBEUI might be installed already. OTOH... it might not be. You can
    use MPTS to take a look.

    Next, I suggest you take a look at this website:
    http://www.mit.edu/afs/athena/activi...r/WARPPEER.HTM

    It does a far better job of explaining the incantations than I could here.
    Some of the details a slightly out of date (for instance, the latest Peer
    FixPak is now IP08414, not 8406), and I'd quibble a bit with some of his
    background information, but all the practical stuff is basically correct.

    Once you have the protocols configured, you need to make sure you use the
    same userid/password on all computers you want to share resources between.
    Under Warp 4, the logon program is buried somewhere under Connections, but
    you may find it easier to just run 'logon /v:none' and enter whatever your
    Windows username/password combination is. Then, if the network protocol
    ducks are all lined up properly, you can do 'net view' from a command line,
    or use the 'Shared Resources and Network Connections' GUI to try and see
    the other systems.

    However, there's another (yes, another) service update that I strongly
    recommend you install before you dig into more advanced networking. The
    update is MPTS v5.4 (to replace the v4.0 that comes with Warp 4), also
    known as FixPak WR08610. This will fix a bunch of problems and also give
    you a much more sophisticated TCP/IP stack (it might help Firefox speed up
    slightly, actually).

    FWIW, all of the FixPaks I would recommend for a freshly-installed Warp 4
    system are:
    - Base FixPak 15 (or 17, if you have access to it*)
    - Device Driver FixPak 2 (or 3, if you access to it*)
    - MPTS FixPak WR08610 followed by WR08621.
    - TCP/IP FixPak UN00980
    - LAN FixPak IP08414

    * Access to FixPak 15 and DD FixPak 3 were only available through a
    particular IBM service subscription up until about 2006.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00
    Please take off hat when replying.

  17. Re: FIREFOX WORKS!!! was Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Addingnetwork and internet to Warp 4

    Hi Alex,

    On Jun 27, 9:14*am, "Alex Taylor" wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:55:29 UTC, Snydley wrote:
    > > I went back through and did everything you said, come to find out I
    > > had done everything already except get Unzip from Hobbes. I've got
    > > that now. It turns out my problem was not having libc-0.5.1.exe
    > > installed. In the readme file on the Warpzilla site it mentions
    > > installing libc-0.6.3-csd3.zip, which I had already done, but no
    > > mention of libc-0.5.1.exe.

    > I could've sworn that the website and the readme both list that as a
    > requirement. *But they've just been redoing the website recently, so maybe
    > it got lost somewhere along the way...

    I guess it must have, but like I said it's working now, and that's
    great!!

    > > Now I only have 2 things left thst aren't working, long filenames from
    > > the CD drive,(not a biggie), and my Network connection.

    > Ahaha. *Yes, the local network sharing stuff can be a bit cryptic. *Partly
    > this is a weakness in OS/2's design (IBM kind of tends to assume that if
    > you're using it, you're probably a LAN administrator in a large corporation
    > who already has most of the attendant knowledge), and partly because new
    > releases of Windows love to make proprietary modifications to how things
    > work. *

    Unfortunately, that's not me. :-) I'm just a retired slob that's
    somewhat of an enthusiast. :-)
    I ran a Fidonet BBS in the late '80's, early '90's, and alot of my
    fellow sysops were running their BBS software on OS/2. Mine was
    Windows 95 specific,(Winserver), so I missed out on all of that
    fun. :-)

    >First, you need to make sure the correct network protocols are installed on
    > all sides. *By default, Windows (up to XP, anyway) uses NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    > a.k.a. TCPBEUI. *So you should install that protocol under OS/2 as well.. *
    > Depending on the settings you chose for networking during OS/2 installation,
    > then TCPBEUI might be installed already. *OTOH... it might not be. *You can
    > use MPTS to take a look.
    >
    > Next, I suggest you take a look at this website:http://www.mit.edu/afs/athena/activi...r/WARPPEER.HTM
    >
    > It does a far better job of explaining the incantations than I could here..
    > Some of the details a slightly out of date (for instance, the latest Peer
    > FixPak is now IP08414, not 8406), and I'd quibble a bit with some of his
    > background information, but all the practical stuff is basically correct.
    >
    > Once you have the protocols configured, you need to make sure you use the
    > same userid/password on all computers you want to share resources between..
    > Under Warp 4, the logon program is buried somewhere under Connections, but
    > you may find it easier to just run 'logon /v:none' and enter whatever your
    > Windows username/password combination is. *Then, if the network protocol
    > ducks are all lined up properly, you can do 'net view' from a command line,
    > or use the 'Shared Resources and Network Connections' GUI to try and see
    > the other systems.
    >
    > However, there's another (yes, another) service update that I strongly
    > recommend you install before you dig into more advanced networking. *The
    > update is MPTS v5.4 (to replace the v4.0 that comes with Warp 4), also
    > known as FixPak WR08610. *This will fix a bunch of problems and also give
    > you a much more sophisticated TCP/IP stack (it might help Firefox speed up
    > slightly, actually).
    >
    > FWIW, all of the FixPaks I would recommend for a freshly-installed Warp 4
    > system are:
    > *- Base FixPak 15 (or 17, if you have access to it*)
    > *- Device Driver FixPak 2 (or 3, if you access to it*)
    > *- MPTS FixPak WR08610 followed by WR08621.
    > *- TCP/IP FixPak UN00980
    > *- LAN FixPak IP08414
    >
    > * Access to FixPak 15 and DD FixPak 3 were only available through a
    > * particular IBM service subscription up until about 2006.

    This is GREAT info!!! Thanks so much! I'm gonna check it out now!!
    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > Fukushima, Japanhttp://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00
    > Please take off hat when replying.

    Snyde

  18. Re: FIREFOX WORKS!!! was Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Addingnetwork and internet to Warp 4

    On 06/27/08 01:10 pm, Snydley wrote:

    > lots of interesting stuff about installing and updating OS/2

    [...]

    As a short cut I'd suggest you check out OS2MT at this site,
    http://www.os2mt.tk.
    Though I notice it hasn't been updated since April, most of the updates
    should still work
    Dave

  19. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 14:28:09 +0000, Mike Luther wrote:

    >>> Will plain Netbios work through a router?

    >> No of course it won't because Netbios is not a routable protocol. I suspect
    >> however you don't actually want to route it anywhere in the majority of cases.
    >> The term router is much misused, especially in home networks. You probably
    >> mean "switch" or "hub" where you mis-used "router".
    >> One of the benefits of Netbios is that you can't route it and inadvertently
    >> expose yourself to security risks.

    > Boy are those final words important! Unless you have no other choice you
    > should NEVER use the protocol NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP in the OS/2 network setup for
    > a system.

    I disagree. It is safe if you take the correct precautions.

    > The reason is that pathway creates one of the easiest ways for a
    > remote system to download files all over your OS/2 box from afar for virus and
    > corruption intentions!

    Yes, but anyone with half a brain doesn't connect directly but rather via
    a NAT router and/or firewall etc.

    > Yes! I HAVE been hit by this one from afar on an OS/2 system with HUNDREDS of
    > files that had to be cleaned up on this box and were file, after file, after
    > file trounced into the quarantine directory by Norman!

    You are a fool then if you haven't got your network configuration right and
    you connect your machine directly to the internet.

    > I do *NOT* use NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP with OS/2 any more for this reason.
    >
    > Very good advice Paul, in my opinion.

    It wasn't advice. I don't advise anyone not to use Netbios over TCP/IP if
    they want to and they have appropriate security.

  20. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

    >>> No of course it won't because Netbios is not a routable protocol. I suspect
    >>> however you don't actually want to route it anywhere in the majority of cases.
    >>> The term router is much misused, especially in home networks. You probably
    >>> mean "switch" or "hub" where you mis-used "router".
    >>> One of the benefits of Netbios is that you can't route it and inadvertently
    >>> expose yourself to security risks.

    >> Boy are those final words important! Unless you have no other choice you
    >> should NEVER use the protocol NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP in the OS/2 network setup for
    >> a system.

    > I disagree. It is safe if you take the correct precautions.
    >
    >> The reason is that pathway creates one of the easiest ways for a
    >> remote system to download files all over your OS/2 box from afar for virus and
    >> corruption intentions!

    > Yes, but anyone with half a brain doesn't connect directly but rather via
    > a NAT router and/or firewall etc.
    >
    >> Yes! I HAVE been hit by this one from afar on an OS/2 system with HUNDREDS of
    >> files that had to be cleaned up on this box and were file, after file, after
    >> file trounced into the quarantine directory by Norman!

    > You are a fool then if you haven't got your network configuration right and
    > you connect your machine directly to the internet.
    >
    >> I do *NOT* use NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP with OS/2 any more for this reason.
    >>
    >> Very good advice Paul, in my opinion.

    > It wasn't advice. I don't advise anyone not to use Netbios over TCP/IP if
    > they want to and they have appropriate security.

    Just to add a little (and getting a bit OT):
    While plain NetBIOS (aka NETBEUI) has the "security benefit" of not
    being routable, that benefit only holds on cabled LANs.
    There may be some issues as soon as your NetBIOS LAN gets to be wireless:

    1. One wifi, the benefit in question gets a bit attenuated as anyone may
    eavesdrop on your connection using appropriate tools. A thing to
    remember when you connect your file sharing enabled laptop to some
    public hotspot. In addition, such hotspots rarely have encryption
    enabled, so you lose that security layer to start with.
    While a properly setup firewall may shield intrusion that tries to
    (mis)use NetBIOS over TCP/IP (either cabled or wifi), it won't help to
    protect against intrusion (mis)using NetBIOS "over wifi", as a firewall
    can only affect IP-based protocols.
    The only protection left is probably that few people nowadays use
    NetBIOS/NETBEUI for file sharing anyway, so hackers hopefully can't be
    bothered.

    My conclusion is that at least on wifi, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is arguably
    safer than plain NetBIOS.

    2. Many newer wifi routers (actually the built-in access points) only
    support IP based protocols (UDP, TCP, ICMP, ...) but no plain NetBIOS
    anymore. Consequently, file & printer sharing across such wifi stuff
    would work only with NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    E.g. my 4 yr-old Linksys WAP54G access point supports NetBios (NETBEUI)
    & IPX/SPX, but a recently purchased Asus WL-330gE doesn't, not even in
    plain AP mode.

    Now, as current Genmac (or maybe it's the combination of genmac/wlan) is
    not very reliable anymore with plain NetBios, all of the above may
    become somewhat moot. But for older wifi equipment it still holds.

    Philip

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3