Adding network and internet to Warp 4 - OS2

This is a discussion on Adding network and internet to Warp 4 - OS2 ; Hi Alex, "Alex Taylor" wrote in message news:mdq090pMZSKk-pn2-1yFbfrwWyPyH@localhost... > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:40:30 UTC, "Snydley" > > wrote: > >> I don't know how to add or remove a NIC card and drivers from OS/2. How >> do ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60

  1. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    Hi Alex,

    "Alex Taylor" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:40:30 UTC, "Snydley"
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know how to add or remove a NIC card and drivers from OS/2. How
    >> do you do that?

    > Different types of driver have their own install utilities. The one for
    > networking drivers is "Network Adapters and Protocol Services" (MPTS.EXE).
    > Should be an icon under System Setup.

    After messing around long enough I came across that utility. I was able to
    change drivers for this NIC card with different Realtek drivers, in the
    chance that I had the wrong one loaded, but this original one I used seems
    to work best. I got errors from config.sys when I tried any of the others.

    >> This time when I reinstalled, and it prompted me to choose a NIC card I
    >> selected "Other" and installed the original Realtek driver I told you
    >> about. I checked the lantran.log file with "e" and this is what it says:
    >> [2005-12-05]
    >> Vendor=1186,1186 Dev.=1300,1301 Bus/Dev/Func-No= 0/10/0
    >> EtherID=@00055DD05F50
    >> The chip is RTL8139C.
    >> Network Line Speed is 100 Mbps / Full-Duplex Mode.
    >> Link configuration: Auto Negotiation enabled.
    >> Flow Control: Transmitisabled, Receiveisabled.
    >> Parameters: IOBase = 0x7C00
    >> Interrupt Level = 3
    >> IBM LANVDD is loaded and operational.
    >> IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
    >>
    >> To me it looks like it's working ok, but I've never gotten that "deep"
    >> into Networks,(Windows always handled that), so I'm not sure. The only
    >> questionable thing I see is the flow control. Should that be enabled, or
    >> is this the way it should be?

    > Depends on the driver. You're right, the messages do indeed imply that
    > the
    > driver is correct and the card is working.
    >
    > You may just need to configure TCP/IP correctly. There were some kinks in
    > Warp 4 as it was originally released, hopefully you can get them sorted.
    > See below...

    That's the thing, I DON'T know how exactly. I found the TCP/IP configuration
    program, entered 192.168.0.3 as my IP address and 255.255.255.0 as the
    subnet mask, but I don't know what to enter for the other values in that
    config program.

    >> I've got everything working, that I can tell, except the Network and
    >> Internet. I did have 2 errors in Config.sys a "com.sys" and a
    >> "vcom.sys"not loading . I was wondering if maybe that was caused by me
    >> selecting Fax service during the install, but not having a fax-modem, so
    >> manually rem'd those 2 lines out in config.sys and those errors went
    >> away.

    > Those are the serial port drivers. Does the machine have serial ports?
    > If
    > not, then this message would be expected.

    It does, but I have them turned off in the BIOS to save the IRQs. I remmed
    out com.sys and vcom.sys in config.sys.

    >> I think my whole problem now with the network is I just don't know how to
    >> set it up. The only experience I've had with networks is with Windows and
    >> it takes care of all of this for you, pretty much.

    > Yeah, OS/2 can take a bit of fiddling, especially on older (pre-4.5)
    > versions.
    >
    > Basically, for working Internet, you need to make sure that:
    > 1. The NIC driver is installed. You seem to have this.
    > 2. The networking protocol (i.e. TCP/IP) is installed and "bound" to the
    > NIC. You probably did this during install, but post the contents of
    > \IBMCOM\PROTOCOL.INI and we'll take a look.
    > 3. Configure TCP/IP. DHCP in Warp 4 out of the box was a bit flaky, so I
    > suggest trying to get it working with static IP first. We can always
    > change that later once you know it works.
    >
    > For static IP, you need to configure:
    > - IP address (if you have the default Netgear configuration, probably
    > 192.168.0.something would be correct - I suggest you see what the
    > computer uses when booted to Win98, and enter that one).
    > - Subnet mask (almost certainly 255.255.255.0; again, copy from Windows).
    > - Default route (what Windows calls "gateway") - whatever the LAN-side IP
    > address of the Netgear router is.

    How do I find this? This is the kind of thing I don't know.

    > - DNS server, whatever your Windows system uses (probably also the Netgear
    > IP address).

    How do I find that too? I have DHCP set up on my Windows drive so I've never
    had to "mess" with those settings..

    > Let us know if you need any help getting that configured. You can use the
    > TCP/IP Configuration program, even though it's a bit ugly.

    I'll go back through it with the info. you gave me here and see how I make
    out.

    Please, I can use all the help I can get with the TCP/IP setup. I can run
    the program and enter the info., the problem is I don't know what values to
    enter, or how to find them.

    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > Fukushima, Japan
    > http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00
    >
    > Please take off hat when replying.

    I'd appreciate any help you can furnish with the TCP/IP and LAN setup.
    Thanks,
    Snyde

  2. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    Well yes but with a note!

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

    >>> You don't "need" to do that. You could always install Netbios on Windoze.
    >>> Netbios is a better protocol for newbies to use because it doesn't require
    >>> any configuration, unlike TCP/IP.

    >> Will plain Netbios work through a router?

    > No of course it won't because Netbios is not a routable protocol. I suspect
    > however you don't actually want to route it anywhere in the majority of cases.
    > The term router is much misused, especially in home networks. You probably
    > mean "switch" or "hub" where you mis-used "router".
    > One of the benefits of Netbios is that you can't route it and inadvertently
    > expose yourself to security risks.

    Boy are those final words important! Unless you have no other choice you
    should NEVER use the protocol NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP in the OS/2 network setup for
    a system. The reason is that pathway creates one of the easiest ways for a
    remote system to download files all over your OS/2 box from afar for virus and
    corruption intentions!

    True, modern Windows smash thee code doesn't, ordinarily, run on OS/2 boxes.
    But that doesn't mean a remote system somewhere around the world to which you
    have somehow connected can't put file after file after file in every directory
    and subdirectory you have on your system! Which .. although not seen yet in
    our world, CAN be made to run if you happen to have the WIN32 drivers
    installed. Or CAN be made to run if you have ODIN or whatever and the
    targeting is done just right.

    As well, using NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP there is nothing to stop an action where you
    get a copy of the remote machine's CONFIG.SYS and/or AUTOEXEC.BAT and startup
    ..CMD files. From there, as we currently use OS/2, there is nothing to prevent
    the perp from simply adding a line of code and any custom executable you might
    want, which runs at boot time .. or any time a DOS-VDM is opened, or any time
    perhaps an new DCHP renewal is required by you IP or whatever.

    Yes! I HAVE been hit by this one from afar on an OS/2 system with HUNDREDS of
    files that had to be cleaned up on this box and were file, after file, after
    file trounced into the quarantine directory by Norman!

    I do *NOT* use NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP with OS/2 any more for this reason.

    Very good advice Paul, in my opinion.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  3. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On 06/21/08 06:49 am, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

    >>> No of course it won't because Netbios is not a routable protocol. I suspect
    >>> however you don't actually want to route it anywhere in the majority of cases.
    >>> The term router is much misused, especially in home networks. You probably
    >>> mean "switch" or "hub" where you mis-used "router".
    >>> One of the benefits of Netbios is that you can't route it and inadvertently
    >>> expose yourself to security risks.

    >> The terminology here is confusing, at least to me. For example, I have
    >> a Linksys WRT54G, which Linksys calls a "router". In the past I used
    >> Netbios (I now use Netbios over TCP/IP) to share files between two
    >> computers on my LAN. Is Linksys misusing the term "router"? Would you
    >> call this device a "switch" or "hub"?

    > This device (as are all its peers) is a hybrid router-switch. This is where
    > the problem in the naming occurs. Anything on the LAN side goes into the
    > switch. The router has two ports - one which goes to the switch and the other
    > which goes to the WAN side.
    > As a switch is a layer 2 device, it will pass Netbios traffic (and indeed any
    > sort of Ethernet traffic you care to dream up) between the ports. A router is
    > a layer 3 device and will not pass Netbios traffic from the LAN side to the
    > WAN side. A router will only pass IP traffic.

    Ok, this explains better. The original poster mentioned having a netgear
    router so I thought router.
    Dave

  4. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

> [...]

    > manually add a magic parameter (/G, I think) to the driver in CONFIG.SYS.
    > (I know that was true for the AWE64 - I had one - but I'm not sure about
    > the
    > AWE32, which I think you said you have...)
    >

    >> I think my whole problem now with the network is I just don't know how to
    >> set it up. The only experience I've had with networks is with Windows and
    >> it takes care of all of this for you, pretty much.

    > Yeah, OS/2 can take a bit of fiddling, especially on older (pre-4.5)
    > versions.
    >
    > Basically, for working Internet, you need to make sure that:
    > 1. The NIC driver is installed. You seem to have this.
    > 2. The networking protocol (i.e. TCP/IP) is installed and "bound" to the
    > NIC. You probably did this during install, but post the contents of
    > \IBMCOM\PROTOCOL.INI and we'll take a look.

    Here's my protocol.ini file:

    [PROT_MAN]

    DRIVERNAME = PROTMAN$

    [IBMLXCFG]

    netbeui_nif = netbeui.nif
    tcpip_nif = tcpip.nif
    RTL8139_nif = RTL8139.NIF

    [NETBIOS]

    DriverName = netbios$
    ADAPTER0 = netbeui$,0

    [netbeui_nif]

    DriverName = netbeui$
    Bindings = RTL8139_nif
    ETHERAND_TYPE = "I"
    USEADDRREV = "YES"
    OS2TRACEMASK = 0x0
    SESSIONS = 254
    NCBS = 255
    NAMES = 29
    SELECTORS = 15
    USEMAXDATAGRAM = "YES"
    ADAPTRATE = 1000
    WINDOWERRORS = 0
    MAXDATARCV = 4168
    TI = 30000
    T1 = 1000
    T2 = 200
    MAXIN = 1
    MAXOUT = 1
    NETBIOSTIMEOUT = 500
    NETBIOSRETRIES = 3
    NAMECACHE = 1000
    RNDOPTION = 1
    PIGGYBACKACKS = 1
    DATAGRAMPACKETS = 10
    PACKETS = 335
    LOOPPACKETS = 8
    PIPELINE = 5
    MAXTRANSMITS = 6
    MINTRANSMITS = 2
    DLCRETRIES = 10
    FCPRIORITY = 5
    NETFLAGS = 0x0

    [tcpip_nif]

    DriverName = TCPIP$
    Bindings = RTL8139_nif

    [RTL8139_nif]

    DriverName = RTSND$
    MEDIUM = "_AUTO"
    NETADDRESS = "192.168.0.3"
    TXFIFO = 10
    NOIRQ = 0
    APM = 1
    CARDBUS = 0
    FLOWCONTROL = "TXA_RXA"

    I'm getting a message from config.sys now when I boot up, it says:

    socket:Network is down

    Any idea what this is telling me, and how to fix it?
    I removed NetBios socket access using MPTS hoping that would get rid of the
    socket error, but it didn't

    > 3. Configure TCP/IP. DHCP in Warp 4 out of the box was a bit flaky, so I
    > suggest trying to get it working with static IP first. We can always
    > change that later once you know it works.
    >
    > For static IP, you need to configure:
    > - IP address (if you have the default Netgear configuration, probably
    > 192.168.0.something would be correct - I suggest you see what the
    > computer uses when booted to Win98, and enter that one).
    > - Subnet mask (almost certainly 255.255.255.0; again, copy from Windows).
    > - Default route (what Windows calls "gateway") - whatever the LAN-side IP
    > address of the Netgear router is.
    > - DNS server, whatever your Windows system uses (probably also the Netgear
    > IP address).
    >
    > Let us know if you need any help getting that configured. You can use the
    > TCP/IP Configuration program, even though it's a bit ugly.
    >
    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > Fukushima, Japan
    > http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00
    >
    > Please take off hat when replying.

    Thanks,
    Snyde

  5. Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    Hi Alex, and everyone,

    >> I think my whole problem now with the network is I just don't know how to
    >> set it up. The only experience I've had with networks is with Windows and
    >> it takes care of all of this for you, pretty much.

    > Yeah, OS/2 can take a bit of fiddling, especially on older (pre-4.5)
    > versions.
    >
    > Basically, for working Internet, you need to make sure that:
    > 1. The NIC driver is installed. You seem to have this.
    > 2. The networking protocol (i.e. TCP/IP) is installed and "bound" to the
    > NIC. You probably did this during install, but post the contents of
    > \IBMCOM\PROTOCOL.INI and we'll take a look.
    > 3. Configure TCP/IP. DHCP in Warp 4 out of the box was a bit flaky, so I
    > suggest trying to get it working with static IP first. We can always
    > change that later once you know it works.
    >
    > For static IP, you need to configure:
    > - IP address (if you have the default Netgear configuration, probably
    > 192.168.0.something would be correct - I suggest you see what the
    > computer uses when booted to Win98, and enter that one).
    > - Subnet mask (almost certainly 255.255.255.0; again, copy from Windows).
    > - Default route (what Windows calls "gateway") - whatever the LAN-side IP
    > address of the Netgear router is.
    > - DNS server, whatever your Windows system uses (probably also the Netgear
    > IP address).
    >
    > Let us know if you need any help getting that configured. You can use the
    > TCP/IP Configuration program, even though it's a bit ugly.
    >
    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > Fukushima, Japan
    > http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00
    >
    > Please take off hat when replying.

    I went back into the TCP/IP LAN setup and added 192.168.0.1 for the gateway
    and DNS server. I rebooted and nothing worked. So I went back in and
    selected DCHP, saved, and rebooted.
    When it rebooted I went to WebExplorer, typed in http://www.yahoo.com/ into
    the URL field and I noticed in the upper right hand corner of the
    WebExplorer window that the little computer monitor animation was moving,
    but an error message come up and said "There is no viewer registered for
    this type of file.Would you like to copy this file to your local disk?
    ok/cancel" So I wondered if data was moving across the LAN from my router to
    my computer, but I just couldn't view it. So I cancelled went back to the
    desktop, and just for curiousity's sake I clicked on Connections > Web
    Sites > OS/2 Related Web Pages > Norloff's OS/2 Shareware BBS
    AND IT WORKED!!!!
    I connected to http://www.os2bbs.com .
    But this is what's happening: If I click the links that are in the Desktop >
    Connections > Web Pages most of the pages will show up in WebExplorer and I
    can view and navigate the site, if the website is still working.
    If I manually type in an address, ie http://www.yahoo.com or www.yahoo.com
    I get an error message saying that "There is no viewer registered for that
    type of file. Would you like to copy the file to your local disk? And it
    won't load the address into the browser. I wonder too if maybe it's "timing
    out" too soon, because it puts that error on the screen rather quickly.
    Any ideas what I need to do to get this working?
    Thanks,
    Snyde

  6. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 18:28:24 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Snydley"
    wrote:

    > Any ideas what I need to do to get this working?

    Well, Webexplorer is prehistoric so updating to something made in the 21st
    century might help!

    Firefox or Seamonkey for OS/2 are both available and stand a much better chance
    of working.

    http://pmw-warpzilla.sf.net/

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  7. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    Snydley wrote:

    > I went back into the TCP/IP LAN setup and added 192.168.0.1 for the
    > gateway and DNS server. I rebooted and nothing worked. So I went back in
    > and selected DCHP, saved, and rebooted.
    > When it rebooted I went to WebExplorer, typed in http://www.yahoo.com/
    > into the URL field and I noticed in the upper right hand corner of the
    > WebExplorer window that the little computer monitor animation was moving,
    > but an error message come up and said "There is no viewer registered for
    > this type of file.Would you like to copy this file to your local disk?
    > ok/cancel" So I wondered if data was moving across the LAN from my router
    > to my computer, but I just couldn't view it. So I cancelled went back to
    > the desktop, and just for curiousity's sake I clicked on *Connections *>
    > Web Sites > OS/2 Related Web Pages > Norloff's OS/2 Shareware BBS
    > AND IT WORKED!!!!
    > I connected to http://www.os2bbs.com .
    > But this is what's happening: If I click the links that are in the Desktop
    > > Connections > Web Pages most of the pages will show up in WebExplorer

    > and I can view and navigate the site, if the website is still working.
    > If I manually type in an address, ie *http://www.yahoo.com or
    > www.yahoo.com I get an error message saying that "There is no viewer
    > registered for that type of file. Would you like to copy the file to your
    > local disk? And it won't load the address into the browser. I wonder too
    > if maybe it's "timing out" too soon, because it puts that error on the
    > screen rather quickly. Any ideas what I need to do to get this working?

    Trevor has the best (and ultimately the only) solution. What you are likely
    seeing is the web page is trying to load an image or script that WebEx
    can't handle. That was a problem 5 - 10 years ago with WE and it certainly
    hasn't gone away.

    --
    Will Honea

  8. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    In , on 06/21/2008
    at 01:54 PM, Paul Ratcliffe said:

    Hi,

    >> Personally, given that the driver loads successfully, I suspect that your
    >> NIC is working OK.

    >Probably, but it's not guaranteed. I have had NICs die on me. They would
    >transmit OK (as confirmed by IPTRACE receiving incoming traffic on
    >another system) but would not receive anything (when being Pinged from
    >elsewhere and running a local IPTRACE).

    I've seen a similar failure on working NICs when there is an interrupt
    conflict. Typically, this occurs on older systems with some ISA cards.
    Apparently, the driver does not need a working IRQ for transmit, but
    definitely needs it for receive.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 11pre14 #10183

  9. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 14:14:43 UTC, "Snydley"
    wrote:

    > > For static IP, you need to configure:
    > > - IP address
    > > - Subnet mask
    > > - Default route

    > How do I find this? This is the kind of thing I don't know.
    >
    > > - DNS server, whatever your Windows system uses

    > How do I find that too? I have DHCP set up on my Windows drive so I've
    > never had to "mess" with those settings..

    Run 'winipcfg' from Start->Run under Win98 and you should be able to find
    out what it's using from the box(es) that pop up.

    Although I see from your subsequent messages that you have it all pretty
    much sorted, now.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  10. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:31:37 UTC, "Snydley"
    wrote:

    > Here's my protocol.ini file:

    --snip--

    > [tcpip_nif]
    >
    > DriverName = TCPIP$
    > Bindings = RTL8139_nif
    >
    > [RTL8139_nif]
    >
    > DriverName = RTSND$
    > MEDIUM = "_AUTO"
    > NETADDRESS = "192.168.0.3"

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I suggest you remove this particular setting. It doesn't mean your IP
    address. I'm pretty sure it's an optional setting for overriding the
    firmware MAC address in the Ethernet card.

    Everything else looks fine, BTW.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  11. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 18:28:24 UTC, "Snydley"
    wrote:

    > When it rebooted I went to WebExplorer, typed in http://www.yahoo.com/
    > into the URL field and I noticed in the upper right hand corner of the
    > WebExplorer window that the little computer monitor animation was moving,
    > but an error message come up and said "There is no viewer registered for
    > this type of file.Would you like to copy this file to your local disk?
    > ok/cancel" So I wondered if data was moving across the LAN from my router
    > to my computer, but I just couldn't view it.

    More correctly, the web page is loading, but WebExplorer simply doesn't
    recognize the file type. It's probably choking on the embedded Javascript.

    What this message is saying is: "I don't recognize this as viewable HTML, so
    I assume it's a downloadable file." It's not a problem with your net
    connection, just with WebExplorer.

    > I wonder too if maybe it's "timing out" too soon, because it puts that
    > error on the screen rather quickly. Any ideas what I need to do to get
    > this working? Thanks,

    It comes up quickly because it's only bothering to read the first few bytes
    of the page before deciding it can't handle it.

    Try a more old-fashioned website like http://hobbes.nmsu.edu and see if you
    have more luck with that.

    Your only problem here is that WebExplorer is 12 years old, and simply can't
    handle a large number of modern websites. Imagine trying to surf the web
    today using Netscape 1.0... same principle.

    Eventually you'll want to install a browser like Mozilla, or at least
    Netscape 4.61. But those will require some updates to your system first.
    In the meantime, you might be able to use Links, which is crude but
    serviceable:

    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/...s-2.1pre14.zip

    This is a text-mode browser that runs in a command line window or full
    screen. (It has a simple graphical mode too, if you run 'links -g'.)
    Press 'Esc' while running to open the menubar, or 'g' to enter a URL.

    You will also need to install the EMX runtime libraries in order to run
    Links, but you will certainly want them on your system for other apps
    anyway:

    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/dev/emx/v0.9d/emxrt.zip

    And to unzip these files, you'll need the latest UNZIP.EXE:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/...r/unz552x2.exe
    (Run the self-extracting archive and move unzip.exe to a directory on your
    PATH.)

    There are various other web browsers available for OS/2. However, they will
    almost all require you to update your system with more recent service
    updates (FixPaks, in the parlance).

    If you've got your system installed and running to your satisfaction, I
    suggest that it's time to install FixPak 15, which is the last Warp 4 FixPak
    that was made available to the general public.

    I suggest you peruse my website for some basic information about how FixPaks
    work:
    http://users.socis.ca/~ataylo00/os2/fixpaks/index.html
    (This may or may not be viewable in WebExplorer; it is viewable in Links.)

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  12. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:31:37 UTC, "Snydley" wrote:

    I have a TCP/IP-only setup using a RTL8139 and a static IP (IMHO,
    the OS/2 DHCP client is too slow & makes my boot take too long).
    The settings in the following files work perfectly for me.

    --------------------------
    x:\MPTN\BIN\setup.cmd
    --------------------------
    route -fh
    arp -f
    ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
    ifconfig lan0 192.168.0.51 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.254 mtu 1500
    hostid 127.0.0.1
    route add default 192.168.0.1

    Notes: Most home routers assign themselves an address of either
    192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 then assign 192.168.x.2 and up to DHCP
    clients. Consequently, you want assign yourself an address that
    the DHCP server is unlikely to use - in this case, 51.

    If you can't tell from your Win settings what the 3rd octet is
    (i.e. 0 or 1), open up IE, then try surfing to 192.168.0.1.
    If that times out, try 192.168.1.1. Eventually, you'll get the
    log in for the router. Once you know the router's address, adjust
    all of the addresses above & below accordingly.

    BTW... you can run setup.cmd as many times as you need or want;
    there's no need to reboot to try different addresses.

    --------------------------
    x:\MPTN\ETC\RESOLV2
    --------------------------
    nameserver 192.168.0.1

    Notes: this file gives the system the address of your DNS server;
    in this case, it's your router.

    --------------------------
    x:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL.INI
    --------------------------
    [PROT_MAN]

    DRIVERNAME = PROTMAN$

    [IBMLXCFG]

    tcpip_nif = tcpip.nif
    RTL8139_nif = RTL8139.nif

    [tcpip_nif]

    DriverName = TCPIP$
    Bindings = RTL8139_nif

    [RTL8139_nif]

    DriverName = RTSND$
    MEDIUM = "_AUTO"
    NOIRQ = 0
    APM = 1
    CARDBUS = "NO"

    Notes: this is for TCP/IP only. Once you have 'net connectivity,
    you can go back and add in the Netbios stuff - if you actually
    want it. For talking to WinXP or Mac OS X, I use SAMBA instead,
    but we can defer that discussion for another day :-)

    --
    == == almost usable email address: Rich AT E-vertise.Com == ==

    | DragText v3.9 with NLS support
    Rich Walsh | A Distinctly Different Desktop Enhancement
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/dragtext/

  13. Re: Adding network and internet to Warp 4

    Sir:

    Steven Levine wrote:
    > In , on 06/21/2008 at 01:54 PM,
    > Paul Ratcliffe said:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    >>> Personally, given that the driver loads successfully, I suspect
    >>> that your NIC is working OK.

    >> Probably, but it's not guaranteed. I have had NICs die on me. They
    >> would transmit OK (as confirmed by IPTRACE receiving incoming
    >> traffic on another system) but would not receive anything (when
    >> being Pinged from elsewhere and running a local IPTRACE).

    > I've seen a similar failure on working NICs when there is an
    > interrupt conflict. Typically, this occurs on older systems with
    > some ISA cards. Apparently, the driver does not need a working IRQ
    > for transmit, but definitely needs it for receive.

    I got a NIC that is failing to(while) preform(ing) the duplicate node
    test with a return code of 8. This failure then causes the DHCPcp to
    fail when
    transmitting the request to the router's DHCPd for an address. But when
    I start some program from the desktop that needs to be on the Internet,
    everything connects after a short pause to get the local addy assigned.

    Lantran.log logs the error as "LT00055: An unexpected error was returned
    when the program tried to transmit the duplicate node address test. The
    VFET2A_nif MAC return code is 8."

    Can you think of any configuration error that would cause this?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  14. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet toWarp 4

    > Trevor has the best (and ultimately the only) solution. *What you are likely
    > seeing is the web page is trying to load an image or script that WebEx
    > can't handle. *That was a problem 5 - 10 years ago with WE and it certainly
    > hasn't gone away.
    >
    > --
    > Will Honea
    > ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

    I'm trying to get both, or either, Seamonkey or Firefox to run on my
    Warp4 system. I've downloaded and followed the instructions to install
    it, but when I type firefox to get it to run from an OS/2
    full screen prompt the curser drops down a line, then the desktop
    comes on screen for maybe 10 sec., then it goes back to the OS/2
    screen with the prompt blinking at d:\firefox. The browsers won't run.
    I also tried adding it as a program to the desktop, and when I click
    on the Firefox icon, nothing happens. Does anyone know what I'm doing
    wrong, and why it won't run? Is it broken, or am I doing something
    wrong. This is my 1st outing with Os/2 and there's alot I don't know
    here!! On another note, the "wonderful and all powerful RoadRunner"
    has stopped it's newsgroups feed to my local area, so now I have to
    read and reply from www.google.com. I'm looking for a free feed
    somewhere, if that's not possible I'll have to keep posting like this.
    Does anyone know of one?
    Thanks,
    Snyde

  15. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internetto Warp 4

    Hi Snydley

    Snydley wrote:
    >> Trevor has the best (and ultimately the only) solution. What you are likely
    >> seeing is the web page is trying to load an image or script that WebEx
    >> can't handle. That was a problem 5 - 10 years ago with WE and it certainly
    >> hasn't gone away.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Will Honea
    >> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

    > I'm trying to get both, or either, Seamonkey or Firefox to run on my
    > Warp4 system. I've downloaded and followed the instructions to install
    > it, but when I type firefox to get it to run from an OS/2
    > full screen prompt the curser drops down a line, then the desktop
    > comes on screen for maybe 10 sec., then it goes back to the OS/2
    > screen with the prompt blinking at d:\firefox. The browsers won't run.
    > I also tried adding it as a program to the desktop, and when I click
    > on the Firefox icon, nothing happens. Does anyone know what I'm doing
    > wrong, and why it won't run? Is it broken, or am I doing something
    > wrong. This is my 1st outing with Os/2 and there's alot I don't know
    > here!! On another note, the "wonderful and all powerful RoadRunner"
    > has stopped it's newsgroups feed to my local area, so now I have to
    > read and reply from www.google.com. I'm looking for a free feed
    > somewhere, if that's not possible I'll have to keep posting like this.
    > Does anyone know of one?
    > Thanks,
    > Snyde

    Do you have the required libc**.dll files installed? - check
    Firefox/Seamonkey readme files for details or check here
    http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

    Regards

    Pete

  16. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet toWarp 4

    On Jun 24, 9:23*am, Peter Brown
    wrote:
    > Hi Snydley
    >

    > Snydley wrote:
    > >> Trevor has the best (and ultimately the only) solution. *What you are likely
    > >> seeing is the web page is trying to load an image or script that WebEx
    > >> can't handle. *That was a problem 5 - 10 years ago with WE and it certainly
    > >> hasn't gone away.

    > >> --
    > >> Will Honea
    > >> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**-Hide quoted text -

    > > I'm trying to get both, or either, Seamonkey or Firefox to run on my
    > > Warp4 system. I've downloaded and followed the instructions to install
    > > it, but when I type firefox * to get it to run from an OS/2
    > > full screen prompt the curser drops down a line, then the desktop
    > > comes on screen for maybe 10 sec., then it goes back to the OS/2
    > > screen with the prompt blinking at d:\firefox. The browsers won't run.
    > > I also tried adding it as a program to the desktop, and when I click
    > > on the Firefox icon, nothing happens. Does anyone know what I'm doing
    > > wrong, and why it won't run? Is it broken, or am I doing something
    > > wrong. This is my 1st outing with Os/2 and there's alot I don't know
    > > here!! On another note, the "wonderful and all powerful RoadRunner"
    > > has stopped it's newsgroups feed to my local area, so now I have to
    > > read and reply fromwww.google.com. I'm looking for a free feed
    > > somewhere, if that's not possible I'll have to keep posting like this.
    > > Does anyone know of one?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Snyde

    > Do you have the required libc**.dll files installed? - check
    > Firefox/Seamonkey readme files for details or check herehttp://www.os2bbs..com/os2news/Warpzilla.html
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete- Hide quoted text -

    Sure do. I went by the directions in the read me file. I wonder if
    there's more to installing it than just unzipping it to an empty
    directory on the hard drive and typing firefox? There was no installer
    for firefox or the library files. I made a directory d:\firefox and
    xcopied all of the firefox files from my F: cdrom drive,(with the /s
    (subdirectory switch)), to the d:\firefox directory from a DOS window.
    I then copied the library files to d:\firefox and when it didn't work
    I also copied the library files to d:\os2\dll. Then went to d:
    \firefox, in a DOS window, and typed attrib *.* -r /s in case they
    were still read only. I'm trying to run Firefox from an OS/2 window
    and full screen. I also tried to add it to the desktop via>
    OS/2 PROGRAMS > SYSTEM SETUP > INSTALL PROGRAMS > SEARCH & SELECT
    PROGRAMS TO ADD.
    There is now an Additional OS/2 programs folder with Firefox in it.
    When I double click it nothing happens. When I select it, right click
    on it, select "Properties" the "Session" tab is "greyed out". I can't
    select anything here. It makes me think it didn't install correctly,
    or there's something else I have to do to install it.
    Any idea?
    Thanks,
    Snyde

  17. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internetto Warp 4

    Snydley wrote:

    > There is now an Additional OS/2 programs folder with Firefox in it.
    > When I double click it nothing happens. When I select it, right click
    > on it, select "Properties" the "Session" tab is "greyed out". I can't
    > select anything here. It makes me think it didn't install correctly,
    > or there's something else I have to do to install it.
    > Any idea?

    _____
    I only installed the SeaMonkey browser and email client on my system.
    If i recall correctly, i needed to upgrade the OS/2 system with fixpack
    15 for SeaMonkey to work, and add the required libc.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  18. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internetto Warp 4

    On 06/24/08 07:42 am, Snydley wrote:
    > On Jun 24, 9:23 am, Peter Brown
    > wrote:
    >> Hi Snydley

    >>> I'm trying to get both, or either, Seamonkey or Firefox to run on my
    >>> Warp4 system. I've downloaded and followed the instructions to install
    >>> it, but when I type firefox to get it to run from an OS/2
    >>> full screen prompt the curser drops down a line, then the desktop
    >>> comes on screen for maybe 10 sec., then it goes back to the OS/2
    >>> screen with the prompt blinking at d:\firefox. The browsers won't run.
    >>> I also tried adding it as a program to the desktop, and when I click
    >>> on the Firefox icon, nothing happens. Does anyone know what I'm doing
    >>> wrong, and why it won't run? Is it broken, or am I doing something
    >>> wrong. This is my 1st outing with Os/2 and there's alot I don't know
    >>> here!! On another note, the "wonderful and all powerful RoadRunner"
    >>> has stopped it's newsgroups feed to my local area, so now I have to
    >>> read and reply fromwww.google.com. I'm looking for a free feed
    >>> somewhere, if that's not possible I'll have to keep posting like this.
    >>> Does anyone know of one?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Snyde

    >> Do you have the required libc**.dll files installed? - check
    >> Firefox/Seamonkey readme files for details or check herehttp://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Pete- Hide quoted text -

    > Sure do. I went by the directions in the read me file. I wonder if
    > there's more to installing it than just unzipping it to an empty
    > directory on the hard drive and typing firefox? There was no installer
    > for firefox or the library files. I made a directory d:\firefox and
    > xcopied all of the firefox files from my F: cdrom drive,(with the /s
    > (subdirectory switch)), to the d:\firefox directory from a DOS window.
    > I then copied the library files to d:\firefox and when it didn't work
    > I also copied the library files to d:\os2\dll. Then went to d:
    > \firefox, in a DOS window, and typed attrib *.* -r /s in case they
    > were still read only. I'm trying to run Firefox from an OS/2 window
    > and full screen. I also tried to add it to the desktop via>
    > OS/2 PROGRAMS> SYSTEM SETUP> INSTALL PROGRAMS> SEARCH& SELECT
    > PROGRAMS TO ADD.
    > There is now an Additional OS/2 programs folder with Firefox in it.
    > When I double click it nothing happens. When I select it, right click
    > on it, select "Properties" the "Session" tab is "greyed out". I can't
    > select anything here. It makes me think it didn't install correctly,
    > or there's something else I have to do to install it.
    > Any idea?
    > Thanks,
    > Snyde

    Your problem is that you copied the files in a DOS window. DOS (on OS/2)
    only supports 8.3 filenames and the Mozilla apps use long filenames.
    There is also the matter of Extended Attributes which may also get lost
    in copying.
    Best to copy the zip file to your OS/2 partition and then unzip.
    You should also set MOZILLA_HOME in your config.sys to point to a
    directory separate from where you install Firefox/Seamonkey. This will
    be where your profiles are kept and you can update the apps without
    losing your profile
    Dave

  19. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internetto Warp 4

    jch wrote:
    > Snydley wrote:
    >
    >> There is now an Additional OS/2 programs folder with Firefox in it.
    >> When I double click it nothing happens. When I select it, right click
    >> on it, select "Properties" the "Session" tab is "greyed out". I can't
    >> select anything here. It makes me think it didn't install correctly,
    >> or there's something else I have to do to install it.
    >> Any idea?

    > _____
    > I only installed the SeaMonkey browser and email client on my system. If
    > i recall correctly, i needed to upgrade the OS/2 system with fixpack 15
    > for SeaMonkey to work, and add the required libc.

    _____
    Forgot to mention versions i installed:
    libc-0.5.1.exe
    seamonkey-1.1.9.en-US.os2.installer.exe
    --
    Regards / JCH

  20. Re: Got it working, kind of. was Re: Adding network and internet toWarp 4

    On Jun 24, 11:15*am, Dave Yeo wrote:
    > On 06/24/08 07:42 am, Snydley wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 24, 9:23 am, Peter Brown
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hi Snydley

    > >> Do you have the required libc**.dll files installed? - check
    > >> Firefox/Seamonkey readme files for details or check herehttp://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

    > >> Regards

    > >> Pete- Hide quoted text -

    > > Sure do. I went by the directions in the read me file. I wonder if
    > > there's more to installing it than just unzipping it to an empty
    > > directory on the hard drive and typing firefox? There was no installer
    > > for firefox or the library files. I made a directory d:\firefox and
    > > xcopied all of the firefox files from my F: cdrom drive,(with the /s
    > > (subdirectory switch)), to the d:\firefox directory from a DOS window.
    > > I then copied the library files to d:\firefox and when it didn't work
    > > I also copied the library files to d:\os2\dll. Then went to d:
    > > \firefox, in a DOS window, and typed attrib *.* -r /s in case they
    > > were still read only. I'm trying to run Firefox from an OS/2 window
    > > and full screen. I also tried to add it to the desktop via>
    > > OS/2 PROGRAMS> *SYSTEM SETUP> *INSTALL PROGRAMS> *SEARCH& *SELECT
    > > PROGRAMS TO ADD.
    > > There is now an Additional OS/2 programs folder with Firefox in it.
    > > When I double click it nothing happens. When I select it, right click
    > > on it, select "Properties" the "Session" tab is "greyed out". I can't
    > > select anything here. It makes me think it didn't install correctly,
    > > or there's something else I have to do to install it.
    > > Any idea?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Snyde

    > Your problem is that you copied the files in a DOS window. DOS (on OS/2)
    > only supports 8.3 filenames and the Mozilla apps use long filenames.
    > There is also the matter of Extended Attributes which may also get lost
    > in copying.
    > Best to copy the zip file to your OS/2 partition and then unzip.
    > You should also set MOZILLA_HOME in your config.sys to point to a
    > directory separate from where you install Firefox/Seamonkey. This will
    > be where your profiles are kept and you can update the apps without
    > losing your profile
    > Dave- Hide quoted text -

    Geez, this is starting to get ridiculous. Apparently, my OS/2 system
    isn't seeing long filenames either, or is it the 16 bit Winzip ver.
    6.3 that is in the Programs > Utilities folder that I'm trying to use
    to unzip it? It sees firefox-3.0.en-US.os2.zip as firefox_.zip. Do you
    know what I have wrong now? Do I have to use a different unzip
    program, or enable long filenames in Warp or something?
    Thanks for your patience, and help,
    Snyde