trolls in newsgroups - OS2

This is a discussion on trolls in newsgroups - OS2 ; On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 14:56:18 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, fred wrote: > I was a frequent contributer to a newsgroup that had lots of children as > contributers, we got hit with lots of porn trolls, the answer was to ...

  1. Re: trolls in newsgroups

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 14:56:18 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, fred wrote:

    > I was a frequent contributer to a newsgroup that had lots of children as
    > contributers, we got hit with lots of porn trolls, the answer was to cancel
    > every crosspost into the newsgroup in real time. It had excellent results.
    > The same could be done in the os2 groups, anything that was cross posted to a non
    > os2 group gets cancelled. I think Pronews could probably do this easily ?
    > One setup in Europe and another in the US would fix the problem.

    You can only cancel your own posts in Pronews. I think you have to have special
    access to a major server to be able to do so for any other posts too - and
    that's not something you can use Pronews for I'm afraid.

    In Pronews however, you can filter on group names. In your \pronews directory,
    open (or create) pronews.env and put the following line into it

    PNXREFFILTER=0

    then create a global filter that says something like "NOT group="comp.os.os2.*"
    and choose hide, delete or mark as read as the action (I'd start with mark as
    read as you can recover from that if this does not work!).

    I already use something similar - I have a filter with action "Mark as Read" and
    a filter string of "group="*advocacy*". This marks any posts that are cross
    posted to any advocacy groups as read before I ever see them.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  2. trolls in newsgroups

    I was a frequent contributer to a newsgroup that had lots of children as
    contributers, we got hit with lots of porn trolls, the answer was to cancel
    every crosspost into the newsgroup in real time. It had excellent results.
    The same could be done in the os2 groups, anything that was cross posted to a non
    os2 group gets cancelled. I think Pronews could probably do this easily ?
    One setup in Europe and another in the US would fix the problem.

  3. Re: trolls in newsgroups

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 14:56:18 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, fred wrote:
    >
    >>I was a frequent contributer to a newsgroup that had lots of children as
    >>contributers, we got hit with lots of porn trolls, the answer was to cancel
    >>every crosspost into the newsgroup in real time. It had excellent results.
    >>The same could be done in the os2 groups, anything that was cross posted to a non
    >>os2 group gets cancelled. I think Pronews could probably do this easily ?
    >>One setup in Europe and another in the US would fix the problem.

    > You can only cancel your own posts in Pronews. I think you have to have special
    > access to a major server to be able to do so for any other posts too - and
    > that's not something you can use Pronews for I'm afraid.

    Can you spoof someone else's handle to "become" them and cancel the
    post, or is there something more to it than that?

  4. Re: trolls in newsgroups

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 09:42:02 -0700, Marty wrote:

    > Can you spoof someone else's handle to "become" them and cancel the
    > post, or is there something more to it than that?

    Anyone could do anything to any post, which is why most servers no longer
    honour cancels, because of cancel-bots.
    This is why the original poster's theory was unworkable.

  5. Re: trolls in newsgroups

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:42:02 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, Marty
    wrote:

    > Can you spoof someone else's handle to "become" them and cancel the
    > post, or is there something more to it than that?

    There's code in Pronews to stop you from even trying and I am not about to
    bypass it. And as Paul correctly points out, most server will quite happily take
    cancel messages and discard them silently.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

+ Reply to Thread