PCI USB Card question - OS2

This is a discussion on PCI USB Card question - OS2 ; I just bought an Acer Labs PCI USB card with 3 ports and a plug in floppy sized three ports. ie three on the back and three out the front of the box. Six in total. I got it for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: PCI USB Card question

  1. PCI USB Card question

    I just bought an Acer Labs PCI USB card with 3 ports and a plug in
    floppy sized three ports. ie three on the back and three out the
    front of the box. Six in total. I got it for a mates Win box I am
    rebuilding. So I thought I might as well try it on one of the OS/2
    boxes first. :-)

    The USB controller probe reported 1 UHCI, 3 OHCI and 1 EHCI - The last
    four are on the new card.

    According to the OS/2 USB site you need *two* device statements per
    controller but it would seem this is no longer true as adding more
    than three OHCI lines produce a "controller not found" type message.

    What I don't understand is why all 6 ports only work if I have 3 OHCI
    lines *and* an EHCI line. The UHCI controller works fine on its own. I
    would have thought one would run it as either OHCI or EHCI.

    Can somebody explain what is going on please?

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    NB Remove nospam. for good email address

  2. Re: PCI USB Card question

    On 27 Sep 2007 16:00:48 GMT, Dave Saville wrote:

    >The USB controller probe reported 1 UHCI, 3 OHCI and 1 EHCI - The last
    >four are on the new card.
    >
    >According to the OS/2 USB site you need *two* device statements per
    >controller but it would seem this is no longer true as adding more
    >than three OHCI lines produce a "controller not found" type message.


    You need one entry for each controller, I've not seen anywhere say two.

    >What I don't understand is why all 6 ports only work if I have 3 OHCI
    >lines *and* an EHCI line. The UHCI controller works fine on its own. I
    >would have thought one would run it as either OHCI or EHCI.
    >
    >Can somebody explain what is going on please?


    The ECHI controller can run more than one port but still only needs one
    entry per controller. When a device is plugged in the card will decide
    if it is OHCI or EHCI and attach it to the appropriate controller so
    you could be using all six as EHCI and not know about it. That's my
    understanding of it anyway.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont - the twaddleman
    The from address exists but is mostly dumped,
    please send any emails to the address below
    e-mail ngpsm4 (at) infohitsystems (dot) ltd (dot) uk



  3. Re: PCI USB Card question

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:31:24 UTC, "Rodney Pont"
    wrote:

    > On 27 Sep 2007 16:00:48 GMT, Dave Saville wrote:
    >
    > >The USB controller probe reported 1 UHCI, 3 OHCI and 1 EHCI - The last
    > >four are on the new card.
    > >
    > >According to the OS/2 USB site you need *two* device statements per
    > >controller but it would seem this is no longer true as adding more
    > >than three OHCI lines produce a "controller not found" type message.

    >
    > You need one entry for each controller, I've not seen anywhere say two.
    >


    From http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=usbreview

    "Something very important is that for each pair of USB ports on a
    controller, a line specifying the appropriate device driver must be
    added in your config.sys. For example: a six-port controller requires
    you to have three lines in your config.sys (or even more if it's USB
    2.0: two lines for each pair: one for the driver used for USB 1.1
    devices; the other for USB 2.0). If you've got a controller with an
    odd number of USB ports, then increment the number of cards by one,
    and take that number to decide how many copies of the driver line
    should be present in config.sys."

    > >What I don't understand is why all 6 ports only work if I have 3 OHCI
    > >lines *and* an EHCI line. The UHCI controller works fine on its own. I
    > >would have thought one would run it as either OHCI or EHCI.
    > >
    > >Can somebody explain what is going on please?

    >
    > The ECHI controller can run more than one port but still only needs one
    > entry per controller. When a device is plugged in the card will decide
    > if it is OHCI or EHCI and attach it to the appropriate controller so
    > you could be using all six as EHCI and not know about it. That's my
    > understanding of it anyway.
    >


    Maybe but using a USB stick with a single EHCI line none of the ports
    worked. With no EHCI line and three OHCI lines a couple of the ports
    worked. With three OHCI and one EHCI all six worked. Go figure.

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    NB Remove nospam. for good email address

  4. Re: PCI USB Card question

    On 27 Sep 2007 19:49:12 GMT, Dave Saville wrote:

    >"Something very important is that for each pair of USB ports on a
    >controller, a line specifying the appropriate device driver must be
    >added in your config.sys. For example: a six-port controller requires
    >you to have three lines in your config.sys (or even more if it's USB
    >2.0: two lines for each pair: one for the driver used for USB 1.1
    >devices; the other for USB 2.0). If you've got a controller with an
    >odd number of USB ports, then increment the number of cards by one,
    >and take that number to decide how many copies of the driver line
    >should be present in config.sys."


    That's just confusing, it's assuming you have one 1.1 and one 2.0 for
    each pair of ports. You just need an entry for each controller
    regardless of how many ports there are. I think this is referring to
    OHCI and UHCI but the issue is confused when EHCI came along, as you
    found out below.

    I've got a 4 port card here with two UHCI and one EHCI controllers on
    board so maybe O/UCHI can only run two ports but it still needs the
    EHCI driver to do that in the case of this card.

    >Maybe but using a USB stick with a single EHCI line none of the ports
    >worked. With no EHCI line and three OHCI lines a couple of the ports
    >worked. With three OHCI and one EHCI all six worked. Go figure.


    It's all down to the internal switching of the ports to controllers.
    You can't rely on one port being attached to a specific controller,
    some OHCI ports may not be accessable without EHCI allowing it. I think
    UHCI is USB 1.1, OHCI is USB 2.0 standard and EHCI is USB 2.0 fast but
    I can't remember where I read that, I thought it was in
    \os2\boot\usbbasic.txt but it isn't. I don't think you can even
    guarantee which ports will work with just your three OHCI entries
    another time but I may be wrong on that. Think of the card as a
    telephone exchange with a mind of it's own. Even though you only have
    one EHCI controller on the card all ports will work as USB 2.0 fast if
    what's plugged in wants it.

    Providing you have one driver for each controller it'll sort itself out
    :-)

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont - the twaddleman
    The from address exists but is mostly dumped,
    please send any emails to the address below
    e-mail ngpsm4 (at) infohitsystems (dot) ltd (dot) uk



  5. Re: PCI USB Card question

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:00:48 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, "Dave Saville"
    wrote:

    >
    > The USB controller probe reported 1 UHCI, 3 OHCI and 1 EHCI - The last
    > four are on the new card.
    >
    > According to the OS/2 USB site you need *two* device statements per
    > controller but it would seem this is no longer true as adding more
    > than three OHCI lines produce a "controller not found" type message.


    I think that site is wrong. You need as many basedev lines of each type as are
    reported by running hcimonit.exe. In your case that would be 1 usbuhci.sys, 3
    usbohci.sys and 1 usbehci.sys lines.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  6. Re: PCI USB Card question

    Hi Rodney

    Rodney Pont wrote:
    > On 27 Sep 2007 19:49:12 GMT, Dave Saville wrote:
    >
    >> "Something very important is that for each pair of USB ports on a
    >> controller, a line specifying the appropriate device driver must be
    >> added in your config.sys. For example: a six-port controller requires
    >> you to have three lines in your config.sys (or even more if it's USB
    >> 2.0: two lines for each pair: one for the driver used for USB 1.1
    >> devices; the other for USB 2.0). If you've got a controller with an
    >> odd number of USB ports, then increment the number of cards by one,
    >> and take that number to decide how many copies of the driver line
    >> should be present in config.sys."

    >
    > That's just confusing, it's assuming you have one 1.1 and one 2.0 for
    > each pair of ports. You just need an entry for each controller
    > regardless of how many ports there are. I think this is referring to
    > OHCI and UHCI but the issue is confused when EHCI came along, as you
    > found out below.
    >
    > I've got a 4 port card here with two UHCI and one EHCI controllers on
    > board so maybe O/UCHI can only run two ports but it still needs the
    > EHCI driver to do that in the case of this card.
    >
    >> Maybe but using a USB stick with a single EHCI line none of the ports
    >> worked. With no EHCI line and three OHCI lines a couple of the ports
    >> worked. With three OHCI and one EHCI all six worked. Go figure.

    >
    > It's all down to the internal switching of the ports to controllers.
    > You can't rely on one port being attached to a specific controller,
    > some OHCI ports may not be accessable without EHCI allowing it. I think
    > UHCI is USB 1.1, OHCI is USB 2.0 standard and EHCI is USB 2.0 fast but
    > I can't remember where I read that, I thought it was in
    > \os2\boot\usbbasic.txt but it isn't. I don't think you can even
    > guarantee which ports will work with just your three OHCI entries
    > another time but I may be wrong on that. Think of the card as a
    > telephone exchange with a mind of it's own. Even though you only have
    > one EHCI controller on the card all ports will work as USB 2.0 fast if
    > what's plugged in wants it.
    >
    > Providing you have one driver for each controller it'll sort itself out
    > :-)
    >



    My guess is the USB stick used for testing by Dave was a usb1 version
    which did not work without the ohci driver active.

    Minor correction to your post: OHCI and UHCI are 2 different
    implementations of USB1 (acer and intel respectively I think), I'm
    guessing USB Fast is an uprated USB1 (1.1?) as USB2 is the fastest
    (currently).


    Your last line is an invaluable bit of advice to usb "newbies" :-)

    Regards

    Pete





  7. Re: PCI USB Card question

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:46:06 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:00:48 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, "Dave Saville"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > The USB controller probe reported 1 UHCI, 3 OHCI and 1 EHCI - The last
    > > four are on the new card.
    > >
    > > According to the OS/2 USB site you need *two* device statements per
    > > controller but it would seem this is no longer true as adding more
    > > than three OHCI lines produce a "controller not found" type message.

    >
    > I think that site is wrong. You need as many basedev lines of each type as are
    > reported by running hcimonit.exe. In your case that would be 1 usbuhci.sys, 3
    > usbohci.sys and 1 usbehci.sys lines.


    I believe it's also necessary to turn of the mobo USB controller(s) via
    the bios when using an add-in card. Perhaps it's only in cases like mine
    where the mobo is USB 1.1 and the card is USB 2.0.

    Pete


    --


  8. Re: PCI USB Card question

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:46:06 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:00:48 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, "Dave Saville"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > The USB controller probe reported 1 UHCI, 3 OHCI and 1 EHCI - The last
    > > four are on the new card.
    > >
    > > According to the OS/2 USB site you need *two* device statements per
    > > controller but it would seem this is no longer true as adding more
    > > than three OHCI lines produce a "controller not found" type message.

    >
    > I think that site is wrong. You need as many basedev lines of each type as are
    > reported by running hcimonit.exe. In your case that would be 1 usbuhci.sys, 3
    > usbohci.sys and 1 usbehci.sys lines.
    >


    Which is what I arrived at by trial and error. I just wondered what
    was going on.

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    NB Remove nospam. for good email address

  9. Re: PCI USB Card question

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 01:59:43 GMT, Peter Brown wrote:

    >Minor correction to your post: OHCI and UHCI are 2 different
    >implementations of USB1 (acer and intel respectively I think), I'm
    >guessing USB Fast is an uprated USB1 (1.1?) as USB2 is the fastest
    >(currently).


    I'm glad you pointed that out, I could have gone years thinking they
    were different speeds, maybe I have :-))

    It does seem that USB 2.0 supports Low-, Full- and High-Speed devices
    but the blurb says it needs O/UHCI support for them. My brain fog is
    bad today and I've forgotten the previous paragraph when I start
    reading the next so it doesn't make sense to me but it may answer all
    of Daves questions:

    http://www.intel.com/technology/usb/...d/ehci-r10.pdf


    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont - the twaddleman
    The from address exists but is mostly dumped,
    please send any emails to the address below
    e-mail ngpsm4 (at) infohitsystems (dot) ltd (dot) uk



  10. Re: PCI USB Card question

    Hi Pete

    Pete wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:46:06 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:00:48 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, "Dave Saville"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The USB controller probe reported 1 UHCI, 3 OHCI and 1 EHCI - The last
    >>> four are on the new card.
    >>>
    >>> According to the OS/2 USB site you need *two* device statements per
    >>> controller but it would seem this is no longer true as adding more
    >>> than three OHCI lines produce a "controller not found" type message.

    >> I think that site is wrong. You need as many basedev lines of each type as are
    >> reported by running hcimonit.exe. In your case that would be 1 usbuhci.sys, 3
    >> usbohci.sys and 1 usbehci.sys lines.

    >
    > I believe it's also necessary to turn of the mobo USB controller(s) via
    > the bios when using an add-in card. Perhaps it's only in cases like mine
    > where the mobo is USB 1.1 and the card is USB 2.0.
    >
    > Pete
    >
    >




    In my limited experience that is rarely necessary.

    The only time I had to do that I found an updated BIOS for the mainboard
    which resolved that issue - have you checked for a BIOS update?


    Regards

    Pete

  11. Re: PCI USB Card question

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:30:16 UTC, "Rodney Pont"
    wrote:

    > On 28 Sep 2007 07:54:49 GMT, Dave Saville wrote:
    >
    > >Which is what I arrived at by trial and error. I just wondered what
    > >was going on.

    >
    > You mean you didn't read \os2\boot\usbbasic.txt???? Shame on you Dave..
    >
    > :-)
    >


    Maybe a few years back - I had forgotten it was there :-)

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    NB Remove nospam. for good email address

  12. Re: PCI USB Card question

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:30:16 UTC, "Rodney Pont"
    wrote:

    > On 28 Sep 2007 07:54:49 GMT, Dave Saville wrote:
    >
    > >Which is what I arrived at by trial and error. I just wondered what
    > >was going on.

    >
    > You mean you didn't read \os2\boot\usbbasic.txt???? Shame on you Dave..
    >
    > :-)
    >


    Actually what confused me was the card being both OHCI and EHCI - I
    guess I read it as one or the other, not both.
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    NB Remove nospam. for good email address

+ Reply to Thread