JFS problem when booting from installation CD - OS2

This is a discussion on JFS problem when booting from installation CD - OS2 ; Every so often my T21 running ECS 1.15 comes up in "glue" mode. By which I mean the WPS is S L O W - almost as fast as a Z80 :-( Normal action at this point is either CAD ...

  1. JFS problem when booting from installation CD

    Every so often my T21 running ECS 1.15 comes up in "glue" mode. By
    which I mean the WPS is S L O W - almost as fast as a Z80 :-(

    Normal action at this point is either CAD or hit the power switch and
    9 times out of 10 it comes up OK. The tenth time it is still glue mode
    and a second reboot fixes it.

    This morning for some reason I did not do this and managed to get the
    XWP shutdown dialog up and told it to reboot. Eventually xwp shutdown
    said it could not save the ini files as they were in use by another
    process and said it was safer to restart the WPS. I said yes and
    waited and waited, got fed up and hit CAD. When it rebooted it could
    not find the files to start the WPS. OK, I think, just restore the ini
    files from backup. So I boot off the ECS install CD to get a command
    prompt with no files locks on the HDD. Now my HDD is partitioned with
    C as HPFS and D, I & T JFS. Although there is a JFS IFS line in the
    config.sys on the Z RAM drive any attempt to access the JFS volumes,
    where the backup was, resulted in an error message and the instruction
    to run CHDSK /F It did this on all three.

    Back to a HDD boot and ctrl out to a command prompt and I got *no*
    errors against the JFS volumes although C chkdsk'ed itself - again
    with no errors. Restored the ini files and rebooted OK.

    So what was going on with the JFS volumes when booted off the CD?

    PS I have three systems here all running the same level of ECS and
    they *all* suffer from glue mode at one time or another.
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

  2. Re: JFS problem when booting from installation CD

    Dave Saville wrote:
    > Every so often my T21 running ECS 1.15 comes up in "glue" mode. By
    > which I mean the WPS is S L O W - almost as fast as a Z80 :-(

    I've seen this on a T23.

    > PS I have three systems here all running the same level of ECS and
    > they *all* suffer from glue mode at one time or another.

    All T22's?

    Ted

  3. Re: JFS problem when booting from installation CD

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:54:05 UTC, Ted Edwards
    wrote:

    > Dave Saville wrote:
    > > Every so often my T21 running ECS 1.15 comes up in "glue" mode. By
    > > which I mean the WPS is S L O W - almost as fast as a Z80 :-(

    > I've seen this on a T23.
    >
    > > PS I have three systems here all running the same level of ECS and
    > > they *all* suffer from glue mode at one time or another.

    > All T22's?
    >
    > Ted

    No one T21, one desktop with an intel mobo & processor and one desktop
    with Tyan mobo & AMD.

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

  4. Re: JFS problem when booting from installation CD

    Dave Saville wrote:
    >>> Every so often my T21 running ECS 1.15 comes up in "glue" mode. By
    >>> which I mean the WPS is S L O W - almost as fast as a Z80 :-(

    >> I've seen this on a T23.
    >>
    >>> PS I have three systems here all running the same level of ECS and
    >>> they *all* suffer from glue mode at one time or another.

    >> All T22's?

    > No one T21, one desktop with an intel mobo & processor and one desktop
    > with Tyan mobo & AMD.

    I'm running eCS 1.2 on my T23. I check the CPU usage window when it's
    booting. If it pegs at the top, I know it's in glue mode so I shut down
    as soon as I can and re-boot. As, you say this almost always cures it.
    I have no idea what causes it.

    It seems that it's not just a T2x problem.

    Ted

  5. Re: JFS problem when booting from installation CD

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:45:40 GMT, Ted Edwards wrote:

    >I'm running eCS 1.2 on my T23. I check the CPU usage window when it's
    >booting. If it pegs at the top, I know it's in glue mode so I shut down
    >as soon as I can and re-boot. As, you say this almost always cures it.
    > I have no idea what causes it.
    >
    >It seems that it's not just a T2x problem.

    Same problem here with a ThinkPad R51, Warp 4 FP 15, latest kernel.
    Happens once in ~50 boots. CPU usage in WarpCenter goes to 100%.
    I can press the shutdown botton and it shuts down properly, but I have to
    be very patient. Usually I hit C-A-D.

    All I can say is that I didn't see this on my prevoius Laptop which wasn't
    a ThinkPad. But it could be related to drivers, new installation, etc.

    Regards Stefan

+ Reply to Thread