hard drive problem - OS2

This is a discussion on hard drive problem - OS2 ; hey all two days ago, after dragging my feet on the backup thing, I finally decide to back up the the 18gig hard drive to the 250 gig drive via Back Again/2 program. so, I let it rip overnight. I ...

  1. hard drive problem

    hey all

    two days ago, after dragging my feet on the backup thing, I finally
    decide to back up the the 18gig hard drive to the 250 gig drive via Back
    Again/2 program.

    so, I let it rip overnight. I find the program locked up. oh kay. so,
    I rebooted. I watched chkdsk try to process the L: drive which is the
    Seagate 18gig 15,000 rpm drive. It was processing allocation errors and
    then chkdsk says that its unable to continue processing.

    what does that mean? I hope it doesn't mean what I think it means.......

  2. Re: hard drive problem

    On 09/23/07 07:09 am dilbert firestorm wrote:

    > two days ago, after dragging my feet on the backup thing, I finally
    > decide to back up the the 18gig hard drive to the 250 gig drive via Back
    > Again/2 program.
    >
    > so, I let it rip overnight. I find the program locked up. oh kay. so,
    > I rebooted. I watched chkdsk try to process the L: drive which is the
    > Seagate 18gig 15,000 rpm drive. It was processing allocation errors and
    > then chkdsk says that its unable to continue processing.
    >
    > what does that mean? I hope it doesn't mean what I think it means.......

    Unless the files on your 18GB drive are remarkably compressible, you're
    going to have a difficult job using BA/2 (or BA/2K) to back them up to
    another drive: BA/2(K) was designed before the days of JFS, i.e, when
    the maximum file size (on HPFS) was 2GB, and it can't create a
    "container" file larger than that. (Tapes are a different story: no size
    limit that I've ever encountered.)

    I don't recall whether the current versions of ZIP or RAR also suffer
    from the 2GB limit.

    Now whether your 18GB drive has died...? That's something else altogether.

    Perce

  3. Re: hard drive problem

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    > On 09/23/07 07:09 am dilbert firestorm wrote:
    >
    >> two days ago, after dragging my feet on the backup thing, I finally
    >> decide to back up the the 18gig hard drive to the 250 gig drive via
    >> Back Again/2 program.
    >>
    >> so, I let it rip overnight. I find the program locked up. oh kay.
    >> so, I rebooted. I watched chkdsk try to process the L: drive which
    >> is the Seagate 18gig 15,000 rpm drive. It was processing allocation
    >> errors and then chkdsk says that its unable to continue processing.
    >>
    >> what does that mean? I hope it doesn't mean what I think it
    >> means.......

    > Unless the files on your 18GB drive are remarkably compressible,
    > you're going to have a difficult job using BA/2 (or BA/2K) to back
    > them up to another drive: BA/2(K) was designed before the days of JFS,
    > i.e, when the maximum file size (on HPFS) was 2GB, and it can't create
    > a "container" file larger than that. (Tapes are a different story: no
    > size limit that I've ever encountered.)
    >
    > I don't recall whether the current versions of ZIP or RAR also suffer
    > from the 2GB limit.
    >
    > Now whether your 18GB drive has died...? That's something else
    > altogether.
    >
    > Perce

    is recovery of data off the hard drive possible?

+ Reply to Thread