SATA - unable to operate your HD - OS2

This is a discussion on SATA - unable to operate your HD - OS2 ; I'm really mainly posting this here as a historical record to people who don't seem to participate in the yahoogroups mailing lists. Over the weekend I posted a comment, and another subscriber suggested I try to find out if Dani ...

  1. SATA - unable to operate your HD

    I'm really mainly posting this here as a historical record to people who
    don't seem to participate in the yahoogroups mailing lists. Over the weekend
    I posted a comment, and another subscriber suggested I try to find out if
    Dani has any input on it: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/os2hardware/message/22435

    To summarize that message, the freshly cloned HD left on SATA port #4 would
    only start to boot eCS, then display the unable to operate message. That
    happened even though all disks on other SATA ports were disabled. Only after
    moving the disk from port #4 to port#1 would it boot normally, with or
    without any other disks enabled.

    Since boot doesn't succeed on port #4, it's impossible to do her standard
    data collection to submit a report directly to her for the problem situation.
    FWIW, the current boot on the same system produces the following from IBMS506$:
    R1.7.10 /VL
    Daniela's Bus Master IDE Driver for OS/2 Version 1.7.10
    Controller:0 Port:01F0 IRQ:0E Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    Intel ICH6 PATA host (8086:266F rev:03) on PCI 0:31.1 @33MHz
    Unit:0 Status:OK ATAPI BusMaster UltraDMA2/PIO4
    Model:SONY DVD-ROM DDU1613 9YS2
    Controller:1 Port:C400 IRQ:0B Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    Intel ICH6 SATA host (8086:2651 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.2 @33MHz
    Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA BusMaster UltraDMA6/PIO4 BPB
    Model:ST3160815AS 3.AAD
    OS2:log phys BPB/BIOS IDE:log phys Total Sectors
    C 2747 43795 43795 16383 Avail 44146352
    H 255 16 255 16 16 OS2 44130555
    S 63 63 63 63 63 % Used 99.96
    Controller:2 Port:C000 IRQ:0B Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    Intel ICH6 SATA host (8086:2651 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.2 @33MHz
    Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA NL:126 BusMaster UltraDMA6/PIO4 BPB
    Model:SAMSUNG SP1614C SW100-30
    OS2:log phys BPB/BIOS IDE:log phys Total Sectors
    C 19457 65535 65535 16383 Avail 312581808
    H 255 16 255 16 16 OS2 312576705
    S 63 63 63 63 63 % Used 99.99

    The disk at issue is actually the one now on controller 1, but at the time it
    was on controller 2 on the second port, after just having been cloned from an
    80GiB that was on the port to which it is currently attached. While attached
    to the #4 SATA port it was reported at its actual size identical to that of
    the one now on controller 2 (SATA port3). It was only some time after
    replacing the original 80 with the new 160 that the BIOS and eCS and Linux
    began reporting the modulo 128GiB size shown above (a separate problem I'm
    counting on Jan V to figure out).
    --
    "It yet remains a problem to be solved in human affairs,
    whether any free government can be permanent, where the

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

  2. Re: SATA - unable to operate your HD

    Sir:

    Felix Miata wrote:
    > I'm really mainly posting this here as a historical record to people who
    > don't seem to participate in the yahoogroups mailing lists. Over the weekend
    > I posted a comment, and another subscriber suggested I try to find out if
    > Dani has any input on it: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/os2hardware/message/22435
    >
    > To summarize that message, the freshly cloned HD left on SATA port #4 would
    > only start to boot eCS, then display the unable to operate message. That
    > happened even though all disks on other SATA ports were disabled. Only after
    > moving the disk from port #4 to port#1 would it boot normally, with or
    > without any other disks enabled.
    >
    > Since boot doesn't succeed on port #4, it's impossible to do her standard
    > data collection to submit a report directly to her for the problem situation.
    > FWIW, the current boot on the same system produces the following from IBMS506$:
    > R1.7.10 /VL
    > Daniela's Bus Master IDE Driver for OS/2 Version 1.7.10
    > Controller:0 Port:01F0 IRQ:0E Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    > Intel ICH6 PATA host (8086:266F rev:03) on PCI 0:31.1 @33MHz
    > Unit:0 Status:OK ATAPI BusMaster UltraDMA2/PIO4
    > Model:SONY DVD-ROM DDU1613 9YS2
    > Controller:1 Port:C400 IRQ:0B Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    > Intel ICH6 SATA host (8086:2651 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.2 @33MHz
    > Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA BusMaster UltraDMA6/PIO4 BPB
    > Model:ST3160815AS 3.AAD
    > OS2:log phys BPB/BIOS IDE:log phys Total Sectors
    > C 2747 43795 43795 16383 Avail 44146352
    > H 255 16 255 16 16 OS2 44130555
    > S 63 63 63 63 63 % Used 99.96
    > Controller:2 Port:C000 IRQ:0B Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    > Intel ICH6 SATA host (8086:2651 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.2 @33MHz
    > Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA NL:126 BusMaster UltraDMA6/PIO4 BPB
    > Model:SAMSUNG SP1614C SW100-30
    > OS2:log phys BPB/BIOS IDE:log phys Total Sectors
    > C 19457 65535 65535 16383 Avail 312581808
    > H 255 16 255 16 16 OS2 312576705
    > S 63 63 63 63 63 % Used 99.99
    >
    > The disk at issue is actually the one now on controller 1, but at the time it
    > was on controller 2 on the second port, after just having been cloned from an
    > 80GiB that was on the port to which it is currently attached. While attached
    > to the #4 SATA port it was reported at its actual size identical to that of
    > the one now on controller 2 (SATA port3). It was only some time after
    > replacing the original 80 with the new 160 that the BIOS and eCS and Linux
    > began reporting the modulo 128GiB size shown above (a separate problem I'm
    > counting on Jan V to figure out).

    I think this is related to the boot limit on number of devices that BIOS
    allows to be booted. Read somewhere that you can only boot the first
    two hard drive devices as numerated by BIOS. Look in your BIOS to see
    if it has hard drive booting from only two devices.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: SATA - unable to operate your HD

    Felix Miata wrote:
    > I'm really mainly posting this here as a historical record to people who
    > I posted a comment, and another subscriber suggested I try to find out if
    > Dani has any input on it: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/os2hardware/message/22435
    >
    > To summarize that message, the freshly cloned HD left on SATA port #4 would
    > only start to boot eCS, then display the unable to operate message. That
    > happened even though all disks on other SATA ports were disabled. Only after
    > moving the disk from port #4 to port#1 would it boot normally, with or
    > without any other disks enabled.
    >
    > Since boot doesn't succeed on port #4, it's impossible to do her standard
    > data collection to submit a report directly to her for the problem situation.
    > FWIW, the current boot on the same system produces the following from IBMS506$:
    > R1.7.10 /VL
    > Daniela's Bus Master IDE Driver for OS/2 Version 1.7.10
    > Controller:0 Port:01F0 IRQ:0E Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    > Intel ICH6 PATA host (8086:266F rev:03) on PCI 0:31.1 @33MHz
    > Unit:0 Status:OK ATAPI BusMaster UltraDMA2/PIO4
    > Model:SONY DVD-ROM DDU1613 9YS2
    > Controller:1 Port:C400 IRQ:0B Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    > Intel ICH6 SATA host (8086:2651 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.2 @33MHz
    > Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA BusMaster UltraDMA6/PIO4 BPB
    > Model:ST3160815AS 3.AAD
    > OS2:log phys BPB/BIOS IDE:log phys Total Sectors
    > C 2747 43795 43795 16383 Avail 44146352
    > H 255 16 255 16 16 OS2 44130555
    > S 63 63 63 63 63 % Used 99.96
    > Controller:2 Port:C000 IRQ:0B Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    > Intel ICH6 SATA host (8086:2651 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.2 @33MHz
    > Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA NL:126 BusMaster UltraDMA6/PIO4 BPB
    > Model:SAMSUNG SP1614C SW100-30
    > OS2:log phys BPB/BIOS IDE:log phys Total Sectors
    > C 19457 65535 65535 16383 Avail 312581808
    > H 255 16 255 16 16 OS2 312576705
    > S 63 63 63 63 63 % Used 99.99
    >
    > The disk at issue is actually the one now on controller 1, but at the time it
    > was on controller 2 on the second port, after just having been cloned from an
    > 80GiB that was on the port to which it is currently attached. While attached
    > to the #4 SATA port it was reported at its actual size identical to that of
    > the one now on controller 2 (SATA port3). It was only some time after
    > replacing the original 80 with the new 160 that the BIOS and eCS and Linux
    > began reporting the modulo 128GiB size shown above (a separate problem I'm
    > counting on Jan V to figure out).

    FWIW:
    With my initial install of eCS 1.2R:
    - In TPad T60 BIOS, change SATA to compatibility mode
    - But, after installing the latest kernels and the latest Dani
    drivers [1.8.1] I've been able to run with SATA(AHCI) set.

  4. Re: SATA - unable to operate your HD

    On 2007/09/17 12:32 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata apparently typed:

    > To summarize that message, the freshly cloned HD left on SATA port #4 would
    > only start to boot eCS, then display the unable to operate message. That
    > happened even though all disks on other SATA ports were disabled. Only after
    > moving the disk from port #4 to port#1 would it boot normally, with or
    > without any other disks enabled.

    > Controller:1 Port:C400 IRQ:0B Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    > Intel ICH6 SATA host (8086:2651 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.2 @33MHz
    > Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA BusMaster UltraDMA6/PIO4 BPB
    > Model:ST3160815AS 3.AAD
    > OS2:log phys BPB/BIOS IDE:log phys Total Sectors
    > C 2747 43795 43795 16383 Avail 44146352
    > H 255 16 255 16 16 OS2 44130555
    > S 63 63 63 63 63 % Used 99.96
    > Controller:2 Port:C000 IRQ:0B Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    > Intel ICH6 SATA host (8086:2651 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.2 @33MHz
    > Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA NL:126 BusMaster UltraDMA6/PIO4 BPB
    > Model:SAMSUNG SP1614C SW100-30
    > OS2:log phys BPB/BIOS IDE:log phys Total Sectors
    > C 19457 65535 65535 16383 Avail 312581808
    > H 255 16 255 16 16 OS2 312576705
    > S 63 63 63 63 63 % Used 99.99

    > The disk at issue is actually the one now on controller 1, but at the time it
    > was on controller 2 on the second port, after just having been cloned from an
    > 80GiB that was on the port to which it is currently attached. While attached
    > to the #4 SATA port it was reported at its actual size identical to that of
    > the one now on controller 2 (SATA port3). It was only some time after
    > replacing the original 80 with the new 160 that the BIOS and eCS and Linux
    > began reporting the modulo 128GiB size shown above (a separate problem I'm
    > counting on Jan V to figure out).

    It's surely some BIOS quirk(s), as the problem went away on it's own sometime
    during the process of shuffling disks again, and reloading BIOS setup defaults.

    I think it's suspend related. This BIOS provides no option for the power
    button to be instant off. Somewhere along the way I must have had it in
    suspend while doing some device juggling, including reenabling the #2 drive
    sitting on the #3 SATA port, which I had disabled for making DFSee tasks
    without all it's partitions available to confuse the already extensive number
    available. It would be too complicated to try to duplicate and pin down to
    any particular proceedure, since it's this machine, one I try to keep up 24/7
    for normal www, email and other routine uses.

    Here's what it looks like now: http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/dfsee/p-t18f.txt