Updated tape drive firmware; now machine hangs - OS2

This is a discussion on Updated tape drive firmware; now machine hangs - OS2 ; I have been using an external Dell PowerVault 120T DDS4 autoloader (relabeled Sony TSL-11000) for backups with OS/2 / eComStation and Back Again/2000 Server (abandonware). The drive came with firmware L0u6 and seemed to work fine, but I found a ...

  1. Updated tape drive firmware; now machine hangs

    I have been using an external Dell PowerVault 120T DDS4 autoloader
    (relabeled Sony TSL-11000) for backups with OS/2 / eComStation and Back
    Again/2000 Server (abandonware).

    The drive came with firmware L0u6 and seemed to work fine, but I found a
    Dell bulletin pointing to an "Urgent" firmware update to L2u3. I had to
    connect the drive to a WinXP machine to do the update, and success was
    reported.

    I have now reconnected the drive to my OS/2 file server and backup
    machine, which has an Asus P2B-LS motherboard with on-board Adaptec U2W
    SCSI, but the machine will not boot if the tape drive is powered up. If
    I press Alt-F2 at the "boot blob" to observe the progress of the drivers
    powered down, the SCSI driver does not load. AFAIK, I have the latest
    versions of all the relevant drivers and of the motherboard BIOS, which
    includes the SCSI BIOS. The SCSI BIOS does recognize the tape drive,
    which is the only SCSI device in this particular machine.

    Any ideas on how to get this working again? Perhaps I could persuade
    Dell to send me a file containing the original firmware, but since they
    consider it to be buggy ... (There was no option to save a copy of the
    original firmware.) Any point in trying a different SCSI adapter? -- I
    have the Tekram that I used in the WinXP machine in order to do the
    firmware update.

    Perce

  2. Re: Updated tape drive firmware; now machine hangs

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:52:12 UTC "Percival P. Cassidy"
    wrote:

    > The drive came with firmware L0u6 and seemed to work fine, but I found a
    > Dell bulletin pointing to an "Urgent" firmware update to L2u3. I had to
    > connect the drive to a WinXP machine to do the update, and success was
    > reported.
    >
    > I have now reconnected the drive to my OS/2 file server and backup
    > machine, which has an Asus P2B-LS motherboard with on-board Adaptec U2W
    > SCSI, but the machine will not boot if the tape drive is powered up. If
    > I press Alt-F2 at the "boot blob" to observe the progress of the drivers
    > powered down, the SCSI driver does not load. AFAIK, I have the latest
    > versions of all the relevant drivers and of the motherboard BIOS, which
    > includes the SCSI BIOS. The SCSI BIOS does recognize the tape drive,
    > which is the only SCSI device in this particular machine.

    I have the same MB and harddrives, CD-ROM, CD-writer and MO connected
    to the onboard SCSI.
    Did you play with the Adaptec BIOS options for the type drive?
    Speed,Sync, Async, disconnect,...?
    Perhaps the firmwware update did change (correct?) som parameters.

    CU/2
    --
    Frank Beythien fBeythien AT gmx.de

  3. Re: Updated tape drive firmware; now machine hangs

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:52:12 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, "Percival P.
    Cassidy" wrote:

    > The drive came with firmware L0u6 and seemed to work fine, but I found a
    > Dell bulletin pointing to an "Urgent" firmware update to L2u3. I had to
    > connect the drive to a WinXP machine to do the update, and success was
    > reported.

    Sure you didn't bend a cable pin in the transfer from system to system? Your
    symptoms sound like termination problems or other things causing errors on the
    SCSI bus.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  4. Re: Updated tape drive firmware; now machine hangs

    On 08/13/07 04:20 pm Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >> The drive came with firmware L0u6 and seemed to work fine, but I found a
    >> Dell bulletin pointing to an "Urgent" firmware update to L2u3. I had to
    >> connect the drive to a WinXP machine to do the update, and success was
    >> reported.

    > Sure you didn't bend a cable pin in the transfer from system to system? Your
    > symptoms sound like termination problems or other things causing errors on the
    > SCSI bus.

    Bingo! One pin at the drive end of the cable was mashed against the
    metal shell. BUT in the course of fiddling around and trying various
    things I managed to bend a pin on the connector that goes from the
    case-mounted connector to the motherboard connector. Now the SCSI BIOS
    no longer recognizes the tape drive at all, even with different cables
    (with unbent pins) between the external connector and the drive and
    between the motherboard connector and the external connector.

    So which have I fried? The on-board SCSI? The tape drive? Both? Do I
    dare try the tape drive with a different SCSI card? Do I ever dare try
    connecting a disk drive to the on-board SCSI connector? -- not that I
    need to at the moment.

    Perce

  5. Re: Updated tape drive firmware; now machine hangs

    On 08/14/07 10:13 am Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    >>> The drive came with firmware L0u6 and seemed to work fine, but I
    >>> found a Dell bulletin pointing to an "Urgent" firmware update to
    >>> L2u3. I had to connect the drive to a WinXP machine to do the update,
    >>> and success was reported.

    >> Sure you didn't bend a cable pin in the transfer from system to
    >> system? Your symptoms sound like termination problems or other things
    >> causing errors on the SCSI bus.

    > Bingo! One pin at the drive end of the cable was mashed against the
    > metal shell. BUT in the course of fiddling around and trying various
    > things I managed to bend a pin on the connector that goes from the
    > case-mounted connector to the motherboard connector. Now the SCSI BIOS
    > no longer recognizes the tape drive at all, even with different cables
    > (with unbent pins) between the external connector and the drive and
    > between the motherboard connector and the external connector.
    >
    > So which have I fried? The on-board SCSI? The tape drive? Both? Do I
    > dare try the tape drive with a different SCSI card? Do I ever dare try
    > connecting a disk drive to the on-board SCSI connector? -- not that I
    > need to at the moment.

    It's taken a long time to get around to further investigation, but the
    problem was a simple one. Nothing was fried. This is an external drive,
    and I had simply been reaching around to the back of it to disconnect
    and reconnect cables. When I looked at the back of the drive I found
    that one end of the connector itself was pushed partway back into the
    case, so many of the pins were not making contact even when the screws
    were tight. I opened up the case and pushed the connector back out, and
    now everything works fine.

    Perce

  6. Re: Updated tape drive firmware; now machine hangs

    On Sep 7, 9:22 am, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

    > >> Sure you didn't bend a cable pin in the transfer from system to
    > >> system? Your symptoms sound like termination problems or other things
    > >> causing errors on the SCSI bus.

    > > Bingo! One pin at the drive end of the cable was mashed against the
    > > metal shell. BUT in the course of fiddling around and trying various
    > > things I managed to bend a pin on the connector that goes from the
    > > case-mounted connector to the motherboard connector. Now the SCSI BIOS
    > > no longer recognizes the tape drive at all, even with different cables
    > > (with unbent pins) between the external connector and the drive and
    > > between the motherboard connector and the external connector.

    > > So which have I fried? The on-board SCSI? The tape drive? Both? Do I
    > > dare try the tape drive with a different SCSI card? Do I ever dare try
    > > connecting a disk drive to the on-board SCSI connector? -- not that I
    > > need to at the moment.

    > It's taken a long time to get around to further investigation, but the
    > problem was a simple one. Nothing was fried. This is an external drive,
    > and I had simply been reaching around to the back of it to disconnect
    > and reconnect cables. When I looked at the back of the drive I found
    > that one end of the connector itself was pushed partway back into the
    > case, so many of the pins were not making contact even when the screws
    > were tight. I opened up the case and pushed the connector back out, and
    > now everything works fine.
    >
    > Perce

    you must've gotten a great sigh of relief after you figured out the
    problem.

    btw, I recently got the Sony/Dell Powervault TSL-11000 autoloader
    drive from ebay.

    Does your drive say its a 120T model?

    Did some bit of digging to find the manuals and bios. Should I be
    using the Dell 120T or the Sony TSL-11000 for the manual and bios?
    make any difference at all?

  7. Sony vs. Dell tape drives. Was: Updated tape drive firmware; nowmachine hangs

    On 11/03/07 06:07 am dilbert firestorm wrote:

    > btw, I recently got the Sony/Dell Powervault TSL-11000 autoloader
    > drive from ebay.
    >
    > Does your drive say its a 120T model?
    >
    > Did some bit of digging to find the manuals and bios. Should I be
    > using the Dell 120T or the Sony TSL-11000 for the manual and bios?
    > make any difference at all?

    Yes, mine is a Dell 120T. I have both Sony and Dell manuals and can't
    see any significant difference between them. I got the updated firmware
    (l2u3) from the Dell site, but I had to use the Windows machine to do
    the update. I don't know whether it's possible to use the Sony (or
    Compaq) firmware (if you can find them) on a Dell machine. BA/2000 still
    says mine's a Sony TSL-11000.

    Perce

  8. Re: Sony vs. Dell tape drives. Was: Updated tape drive firmware;now machine hangs

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    > On 11/03/07 06:07 am dilbert firestorm wrote:
    >

    >> btw, I recently got the Sony/Dell Powervault TSL-11000 autoloader
    >> drive from ebay.
    >>
    >> Does your drive say its a 120T model?
    >>
    >> Did some bit of digging to find the manuals and bios. Should I be
    >> using the Dell 120T or the Sony TSL-11000 for the manual and bios?
    >> make any difference at all?

    > Yes, mine is a Dell 120T. I have both Sony and Dell manuals and can't
    > see any significant difference between them. I got the updated
    > firmware (l2u3) from the Dell site, but I had to use the Windows
    > machine to do the update. I don't know whether it's possible to use
    > the Sony (or Compaq) firmware (if you can find them) on a Dell
    > machine. BA/2000 still says mine's a Sony TSL-11000.
    >
    > Perce

    mine says that's manufactured for Dell and has TSL-11000 on the
    autoloader, and SDT-11000 on the tape drive. It does not say 120T
    anywhere on the model that I could find.

    btw, do I need a special key for the autoloader for the Backagain
    program or will it work as is?

  9. Re: Sony vs. Dell tape drives. Was: Updated tape drive firmware;now machine hangs

    On 11/04/07 01:01 am dilbert firestorm wrote:

    >> Yes, mine is a Dell 120T. I have both Sony and Dell manuals and can't
    >> see any significant difference between them. I got the updated
    >> firmware (l2u3) from the Dell site, but I had to use the Windows
    >> machine to do the update. I don't know whether it's possible to use
    >> the Sony (or Compaq) firmware (if you can find them) on a Dell
    >> machine. BA/2000 still says mine's a Sony TSL-11000.

    > mine says that's manufactured for Dell and has TSL-11000 on the
    > autoloader, and SDT-11000 on the tape drive. It does not say 120T
    > anywhere on the model that I could find.

    Is yours an internal one? Mine is an external and has "PowerVault 120T"
    right on the front of the case. I wondered whether the "T" denoted an
    external one, but I can't find anything on the Dell Web site without the
    "T".

    > btw, do I need a special key for the autoloader for the Backagain
    > program or will it work as is?

    I think you'll find that without the Autoloader Support Module (which is
    there but unavailable until you enter the key that activates it; i.e.,
    it's not something that needs to be downloaded separately), you can
    still use the drive in "semi-automatic" sequential mode: You'd have to
    load the desired starting tape by pressing buttons on the front of the
    drive, then letting BA/2K eject that tape will cause the next one to be
    loaded automatically. If everything fits on the first tape, that's OK,
    but I think you'll find that if it didn't all fit on the first tape the
    backup will abort; this was a new "feature" in BA/2K ver. 4 that (AIUI)
    a big user requested and paid for. However, with the ASM activated and
    another tape available, the backup will "span" multiple tapes.

    Keys for the ASM and Remote File System Module were posted in the
    ecomstation.apps group a couple years ago by some Russian guy in a
    thread with the subject line "BA/2K is dead" (or similar wording).

    HTH

    Perce

+ Reply to Thread