JFS in Win32? Via VM? - OS2

This is a discussion on JFS in Win32? Via VM? - OS2 ; Did anybody succeed in setting a virtual machine under Win32 which is able to read a JFS-formatted USB disk, and sharing it with Windows? (Even though VM should not be able (?) to read USB directly, it should be able ...

  1. JFS in Win32? Via VM?

    Did anybody succeed in setting a virtual machine under Win32 which is
    able to read a JFS-formatted USB disk, and sharing it with Windows?

    (Even though VM should not be able (?) to read USB directly, it should
    be able to access the "raw disk image file" via sharing with the host.)

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  2. Re: JFS in Win32? Via VM?

    Hi Ilya

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 05:52:28 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > Did anybody succeed in setting a virtual machine under Win32 which is
    > able to read a JFS-formatted USB disk, and sharing it with Windows?

    That is not a very precise question :-)

    Do you mean running OS/2 (or eCS) in some virtual machine
    in Windows 2000/XP/Vista ?

    Also 'sharing with Windows' seems a bit tough since
    Windows has no JFS filesystem drivers AFAIK.

    I am probably misunderstanding what you really want to do ...

    > (Even though VM should not be able (?) to read USB directly, it should
    > be able to access the "raw disk image file" via sharing with the host.)

    Some VM implementations claim to support USB access (parallels)
    but I have not been able yet to access USB MSD devices from
    an eCS running inside a VM yet ...

    And yes, a VM would be able to access 'a raw disk image file' but
    that would mean you need to create such an imagefile from the
    USB disk before you can access it. Any changes made would be
    in that imagefile-only, so to share it with something else you need
    to write the image back to the USB device.

    Except for incidental usage that does not sound very usable ...

    Note:
    Sofar I have found using networking (SMB) to be the easiest
    way to share information between systems when using VM's.

    I realize that is not always possible of course ...

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  3. Re: JFS in Win32? Via VM?

    Jan van Wijk
    ], who wrote in article :
    > > Did anybody succeed in setting a virtual machine under Win32 which is
    > > able to read a JFS-formatted USB disk, and sharing it with Windows?

    > That is not a very precise question :-)

    Do not see any ambiguity...

    > Do you mean running OS/2 (or eCS) in some virtual machine
    > in Windows 2000/XP/Vista ?

    Whatever - OS/2, Linux, ... - as far as Win32 is able to read (and,
    maybe, write) to the disk.

    > Also 'sharing with Windows' seems a bit tough since
    > Windows has no JFS filesystem drivers AFAIK.

    This is exactly the reason for my question - with virtual machine, you
    can have the guest accessing the FS structures, and sharing the
    resulting *files* with the host.

    So if things work, it could be like this

    HOST: connects to USB, has the raw file accessible as \\.\m:
    HOST: shares the raw file with the guest
    GUEST: mounts the raw file (via the loopback, or whatever)
    GUEST: deciphers the FS data
    GUEST: shares the files on FS with the host

    > > (Even though VM should not be able (?) to read USB directly, it should
    > > be able to access the "raw disk image file" via sharing with the host.)

    > Some VM implementations claim to support USB access (parallels)
    > but I have not been able yet to access USB MSD devices from
    > an eCS running inside a VM yet ...

    Did not look for 2007 M$ implementation yet...

    > And yes, a VM would be able to access 'a raw disk image file' but
    > that would mean you need to create such an imagefile from the
    > USB disk before you can access it.

    ??? Did you ever use \\.\v: ?

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  4. Re: JFS in Win32? Via VM?

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:25:04 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > So if things work, it could be like this
    >
    > HOST: connects to USB, has the raw file accessible as \\.\m:
    > HOST: shares the raw file with the guest

    HOW ?

    AFAIK, there is now way to configure this in any current VM,
    you can specify a FOLDER (directory) to share but that
    will not allow access to a raw volume ...

    > GUEST: mounts the raw file (via the loopback, or whatever)
    > GUEST: deciphers the FS data

    Would be possible, IF you are able to share the raw volume file ...

    > GUEST: shares the files on FS with the host

    How ?
    Over the 'network', using SMB peer service or something ?
    Not sure if you can share a loopback device again, it may
    be considered a 'networking device' by itself.

    > > And yes, a VM would be able to access 'a raw disk image file' but
    > > that would mean you need to create such an imagefile from the
    > > USB disk before you can access it.

    > ??? Did you ever use \\.\v: ?

    Yes, DFSee uses that to access whole volumes under Windows.
    But the problem is transferring that interface to the guest ...

    If I understand you correctly, you are trying to use the OS/2
    JFS.IFS from Windows by letting it run in a VM.
    Will not be easy, but an interesting project :-)

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  5. Re: JFS in Win32? Via VM?

    Jan van Wijk
    ], who wrote in article :
    > > HOST: connects to USB, has the raw file accessible as \\.\m:
    > > HOST: shares the raw file with the guest

    > HOW ?
    >
    > AFAIK, there is now way to configure this in any current VM,
    > you can specify a FOLDER (directory) to share but that
    > will not allow access to a raw volume ...

    So make a link from some directory - not a big deal. E.g., on systems
    without symlinks, write a tiny IFS which accesses one file only...
    (Compare with TVFS...)

    > > GUEST: mounts the raw file (via the loopback, or whatever)
    > > GUEST: deciphers the FS data

    > Would be possible, IF you are able to share the raw volume file ...

    > > GUEST: shares the files on FS with the host

    > How ?
    > Over the 'network', using SMB peer service or something ?

    Yes.

    > Not sure if you can share a loopback device again, it may
    > be considered a 'networking device' by itself.

    I do not know what you mean by sharing "loopback device". All you
    need is the client to share a certain directory with the host...

    > If I understand you correctly, you are trying to use the OS/2
    > JFS.IFS from Windows by letting it run in a VM.
    > Will not be easy, but an interesting project :-)

    Do not see how one would be able to do this with an OS/2 client. Is
    there a way on OS/2 to make JFS access *a file* via loopback?

    Thanks,
    Ilya

+ Reply to Thread